Østgarðr Provincial Court at Pennsic





At the 49th Pennsic War, Their Excellences did hold their Pennsic Provincial Court.

After words of greeting, Their Excellencies gave thanks to all who make their Pennsic camp possible: Arnora Ketilsdottir for her role as Pennsic camp coordinator, Brandr Aronsson for his role as Pennsic land agent, Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin for planning the organization of the camp, and Alienor Salton for her help in keeping the camp running.

Then Østgarðr favors were spread amongst the populace that had yet to receive one, and once that was done all Østgarðr fighters were asked to enter court to accept the praise of the Vicereine for inspiring her reentry into their craft. One of these fighters, Perez ben Meir Gershorn, was subsequently called back into court to be presented with his Silver Tyger medallion due upon him, as it had been granted in the ethereal realm (the scroll unfortunately still within the ethereal realm that is the postal service).

Their Excellencies also were able to induct Jacqueline Helene Loisel into their Order of the Silver Lantern, a task started in AS 54, for her work in the creation and teaching of garb making.  As for other bestowal of awards, They added Berakha bat Mira v’Shlomo to their Order of the Sea Dog for her studious work of promoting the learning of arts and sciences within Whyt Whey, Ragnarr bliskegg to the Order of the Silver Sea-Lion for his martial prowess, and Drasma Dragomira to the Order of the Seahorse for her work as provincial herald.

Several members of the populace also presented business within the court.  Ragnarr bliskegg presented Their Excellences with a knife he made, topped with the image of one of their yaks and the handle comprised of the bamboo battled with to hold the coronation banners.  Alienor Salton, along with a few others, conducted a ceremony tying the lands, water, and air of Østgarðr to their home at Pennsic, and Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin petitioned for the completion his years long quest in finding Their Excellencies’ yaks by ensuring their and their caretaker’s future needs via a donation to The Kamzang Fund in the name of the Province, of which Their Excellencies, upon consultation with the wronged party, granted.

And thus concludes the second to last court of Their Excellencies Suuder Il-Khan and Lada Il-Khatun, held the 11th of August, AS 57.

~~~~~
Drasma Seahorse
Østgarðr Herald

Østgarðr June 2022 Commons Minutes

Commons Minutes for June 2022

The June commons meeting was held June 15. Here are the minutes/notes as recorded by Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attendance

Suuder Saran, Il-Khan Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Seneschal 
Francisco de Braga, Exchequer Drasma Dragomira, Herald Albrecht Anker, Chatelaine 
Kunigunde Wedemann, Chancellor Minor  Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal Friderich Grimme, Webminister 
Zahra de Andaluzia, Chronicler Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, HistorianAlienor Salton, Whyt Whey Seneschal 
Ragnarr bláskegg, Brokenbridge Seneschal Aenora KetilsdottirGibbs Moryss 
Jenna ChildslayerLeonora RadovcicMathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

Absent Officers

Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery MarshalRandve L’il Hammar, MoAS Marion of York, Minister of ListsIan of Clan Mitchell, ChamberlainErvald LaCoudre, Armored Combat MarshalIola Wulfsdotter , Lions End  Seneschal 

Opening

Called to order at 7:42pm 
https://www.sca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Bullying-Policy-April-2020.pdf  

Officer Report Items For Discussion

Runnymeade Largess Exchange is with Buckland Cross.

Upcoming Commons Meetings

Wednesday, July 20, 2022Wednesday, August 17, 2022Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Closing

Meeting closed at 8:48pm 

June 2022 Compiled Officer Reports

Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

Here are a few things that have happened in the recent Royal courts.

-Finnbjorn Aegirson (former Warden of the Fry) Received his AoA.

-Thorfinn was welcomed into the Order of the Laurel.  

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!!!  Well Done both of you. We are very proud of you.

As John Cleese put it  “And now for something…… completely Pennsic.”

-Pennsic Pre-reg ends Thursday June 16th. If you want to camp with Ostgardr. Get it in now and name Ostgardr as who you are camping with.

-RunnyMeade Largess Exchange is a go!  We have Buckland Cross, Lada is coordinating, if you have ideas or want to make one of the largess, contact her.  We are looking for largess that they can give out in their court, something they can use for a long time, or even a short time. Doesn’t have to be much. It could even be tokens for them.

-There will still be a pot-luck Osgardr Dinner, then the Last Pennsic Viceregal court of Lada and Suuder.  There will also be a Memorial for all those we have lost since the last pennsic.

Finally some News from Their Majesties about Barelycorn.

-There will be a Charity Tournament called “Fight for a Cause!” on Sunday at Barelycorn.  It is a Fighter and Fencer pair tournament.  Entrants will pay a small fee to fight.  There will be a bucket for a welcomed donation to fatten the pot. There has been talk but no confirmation of a silent auction that will also go to the charity fund. (This part is still in debate.)  But the winners of this tournament will get to select the charity from an approved list or can provide a charity they wish to donate the funds to. (If that happens, the charity will need to go through the approval process and once cleared will have the winning proceeds donated to them.  If you wish to help out or possibly to donate something for the possible auction.  Suuder is coordinating this tournament, contact him for any questions.

  1. Seneschal • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi

Lions End Schola went well. Barleycorn planning is very much underway. I need officers to send their reports in a timely fashion so I am not putting together an agenda at the last minute.

  1. Exchequer • Francisco de Braga

Exchequer Report:

  • We are caught up with all Checks and reimbursements at this time. Please be sure to cash checks that you have received.
  • Term limits for the office of Exchequer have been implemented. They can be found via the Link below. In short, one may serve as the Branch Exchequer for four consecutive years.
  • In compliance with this term limit requirement, my 4th year in this office will come to an end this year, January 1st, 2023. As a result, I am looking for a successor to take the office. Anyone who is interested may reach out to me. I have been contacted by one individual thus far. Once my term limit is reached and I step down, I am willing to remain a deputy Exchequer and assist.
  • There is no update from Kingdom in regards to Bank Signatory Revisions at this time. We may also need additional signatory changes after the Investiture and new Viceregents take their place. I ask if it may be beneficial to consider signatory changes long term given the timeframe it has taken thus far rather than multiple requests in the future (New Exchequer, Viceregents, Deputy Exchequer, etc. signatory changes). I can submit paperwork to reflect this, if acceptable.
  1. Herald • Drasma Dragomira

The herald does not have anything to report this month. 

  1. Acting Castellan •  Albrecht Anker

We are getting quite a few new members out for our Tuesday practice!  Heavy Fighters, Fencers, and non-martial folks are making it out.  Now is a good time to come out and hang with fellow Ostgardians.  We even get tacos after, but unfortunately, the ice cream man has been irregular in showing as of late. 

  1. Chancellor Minor • Kunigunde Wedemann

Youth activities in the province have been on the quiet side this month. However, I’ve been thinking of the youth activities I would like to do at Barleycorn. For the young kids, I’d like there to be ongoing games and other activities suitable for their age group. Details forthcoming. I would also like to have some formal classes like a class on heraldry where they can design their own heraldic device and also a kumihimo class where they can learn how to make a bracelet. (And it’s a good activity to do while at court.) I would also like to do a scavenger hunt which will be in the form of a questionnaire.

A blurb for the event announcement and the website is still forthcoming. I have not forgotten about it. 

Arts & Sciences • Randve L’il Hammar

No report

  1. Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre

No report

  1. Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

No report

  1. Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

Fencing practice has been continuing at McCarren Park on Tuesday nights.  We’ve been getting 5-6 fencers in total at each practice.

I’m trying to get fencers to go to the Southern Region Army practice on June 26th, and the Hawkes Reache Event on 6/18.

I am  looking to get some loaner gear.

I have a new marshal in training, Ibrahim.  He and I will each run a tournament at Barleycorn.

  1. Minister of Lists • Marion of York

No report

  1. Webminister • Friderich Grimme

No report

  1. Chronicler • Zahra de Andaluzia

The E-Horse was published on June 1 to generally positive acclaim.

The next issue of the E-Horse will be published on September 1. Please send me your art, articles, memes, quizzes! Etc. etc.


Social Media • Albrecht Anker 

  1. We had some interaction through Reddit this month which was quickly spotted by our sharp-eyed
    vicereine and we were able to start chatting we a potential new player!

Analytics:  

-22 views on Youtube with a total of 3 minutes watched. 

-16 New views on Facebook, 3 page likes, and we reached 103 people reached!

  1. Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

The Green and White has not yet been returned from coronation
Nothing else to report 

  1. Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

No report

Whyt Whey • Alienor Salton
Nothing to report 

Lions End • Iola Wulfsdotter

The Scola was a hit. I believe 20 people attended. Classes were attended. Queen’s favors were block printen. Fun was had.  

I have been notified that the exchequer & possibly (probably) the Castilian will be stepping down soon. I have already made some moves as a pseudo Chatelaine, restarting the Lions End gold key & personally bringing in a new member. So I have no problem taking on that hat as well. But I will begin to see if anyone is willing to step up for exchequer. The search for a deputy seneschal continues as well.  

  1. Brokenbridge • Arnora Ketilsdottir 

Brokenbridge has a new seneschal, Arnora Ketilsdottir. Our next Commons meeting is set for Sunday, July 10th at 11am.  That is all.

Come Read the Summer E-Horse

The latest issue of the Østgarðr E-Horse, the Crown Provinces quarterly electronic newsletter is available to download a read at your leisure.

This issue, Volume 14 – Summer 2022, includes:

  • Recipe: Dong Po Rou (Red Braised Pork Belly)
  • Viceregal Acceptance Letter
  • Update to COVID Policies

Download the E-Horse in PDF format here.

Thanks from the Scandinavian East Coast Museum

May 19, 2022

On behalf of the Scandinavian East Coast Museum, I would like to thank each of you for participating in Viking Fest 2022.  Last year, we could only have performers, due to Covid.  This year we were able to add food, rides and re-enactors.  Incrementally, we are getting back to what our event had been.

They’re back.  It is so nice to have the SCA –   Østgarðr join us again this year for their exciting and educational displays and demos under the leadership of Catelin.  Also, the trial was such a big hit with the kids and adults – Tusen takk – a thousand thanks.

A shout out to our Rune Reader – Eileen aka Randgrithr. She also had connected me with a botanist who had planned to come, but got ill that day. Sorry she was unable to do the interactive Traditional Dance from the Harz Mountains that is connected to Norse mythology. The rain prevented it. Tusen takk!

And our wonderful performers were a big hit. Ellen Lindstrom our favorite Swedish meatball on accordion, Clann Eireann Pipers from Bay Ridge and Redhawk Council even though the weather washed out their performance, they showed up, I am looking forward to seeing them next year. And I would be remiss not to include Crazy Carlsen on games. Tusen takk to all!

It was so special to have Scandinavian food from Sporting Club Gjoa ( the oldest independent soccer club in the U.S.) made by the talented Hege and served with her crew. It was delicious, a real treat. Tusen takk!

So great to Norwegian Baked with Hedvig and company back providing her delicious Norwegian flatbread made in Brooklyn at BAT, about 8 blocks from the event. What a nice addition to have those beautiful blue and yellow cookies. All proceeds raised for the latter will be donated to benefit Ukraine. Tusen takk!

The Rosemaling Society has been part of our event I think from the start for about 20 years. I am sad they will be disbanding, but hope the individual artists continue to practice and share their craft. Tusen takk!

The Owl’s Head Horticulture Group who keep the lovely park in which our event is held lush and lovely and offered a display of historic photos for the day. Tusen takk!

Unfortunately, we had some rain towards the end of the event, but we were able to salvage most of the day. Best of all, the community came back and we could share our Scandinavian history with them through our positive synergistic efforts.

Best,

Victoria Hofmo, President

Scandinavian East Coast Museum

Posted at the request of

Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi
長島 一路 宇治道
He/Him/His
Østgarðr Seneschal

Commons Minutes for April 2022

The Ostgardr commons meeting was held April 20. Here are the minutes/notes as recorded by Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attendance:

  • Suuder Saran, Il-Khan
  • Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun 
  • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Seneschal 
  • Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
  • Drasma Dragomira, Herald
  • Catelin Straquhin, Chatelaine
  • Kunigunde Wedemann, Chancellor Minor
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal 
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal
  • Friderich Grimme, Webminister 
  • Albrecht Anker, Social Media
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Historian
  • Alienor Salton, Whyt Whey Seneschal 
  • Ragnarr bláskegg, Brokenbridge Seneschal 
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa 
  • Gibbs Moryss 
  • Edwin the Younger
  • Perez ben Meir Gershon
  • Jenna Childslayer
  • Hanya Vladimirovna Polotskaya
  • Richard the Poor
  • Victoria Hofmo
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

 Absent Officers:

  • Randve L’il Hammar, MoAS
  • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
  • Zahra de Andaluzia, Chronicler
  • Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
  • Marion of York, Minister of Lists
  • Iola Wulfsdotter , Lions End Seneschal

Opening:

Called to order at 7:30pm

Victoria Hofmo, President of Scandinavian East Coast Museum spoke to us about the Viking Fest. It will be held on Saturday, May 14th in Owl’s Head/Bliss Park in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Catelin Straquhin has volunteered to be involved in planning, but does not want to take point. We need a volunteer to be the lead organizer for this demo. I realize this is short notice, however our participation would be beneficial to the museum, the community, and the Province. That being said, we do not have to participate this year if it is too much and too short.
What is expected of us? Fighting and fencing are our most visual activities and tend to draw a crowd. A&S displays and demonstrations can also be a draw. A Scavenger Hunt will be held for students, to explore displays/demos provided by reenactment organizations. The museum asks each group to send us 6 – 10 questions for the students that are relevant to their offerings. All re-enactment groups are given a stipend.

Officer Report Items For Discussion:

Congratulations to Gibbs Moryss, Edwin the Younger and Hanya Vladimirovna Polotskaya for receiving their Arms, Jenna Childslayer received her Silver Brooch, Ibrahim al-Rashid received a Writ for the Order of The Laurel which will happen at Northern Region War Camp, and Padgraige our Armored Combat Champion received a Silver Wheel. Anyone interested in helping the planning of Ibrahim’s Laurel celebration, contact Lada and she will add you to the gmail discussion group headed by the Sharc Pit.

Ostgardr trim is available for distribution and will be made available at upcoming local events.

With another RP coming in September, it is a good time to write in people for awards, both Kingdom and Provincial. It was recommended that EK wiki pages are used for listing awards, achievements, positions held as officers or event staff. They become a useful reference for your friends to check what awards you have and possibly what awards you should get. Descriptions of awards can be found here:
Provincial: https://ostgardr.eastkingdom.org/provincial-orders-awards/
Kingdom: https://www.sca.org/awards/east.html
To write someone in for awards:
Provincial: email viceregents@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org with recommendations.
Kingdom: https://surveys.eastkingdom.org/index.php/945932
Searchable database to see what awards people have: https://op.eastkingdom.org/op.php

Friderich Grimme said he is planning on running a class on writing someone in for an award. Perhaps to be run during one of the Solars or a weeknight. Jenna suggested that Gianetta <sp?> from An Dubh has run a similar class.

Pollings are sent out periodically by the Crown for the various polling orders. Award process takes about 8-12 weeks. Any recommendations submitted before the end of last year should be resubmitted.

Please pre-register for Pennsic if you are planning on going. Non-Ostgardrians should reach out to the Viceregents for permission to camp with Ostgardr. Meeting to discuss camping with Ostgardr will be scheduled in the not-too-distant future.

Catelin is stepping down as Chatelaine at the end of the month and Albrecht has volunteered to step up as Acting Castellan. A request for letters of intent will be posted at the beginning of the month. Elections to follow that if there is more than one candidate.

Elizabeth Rodriguez <sp?>, site coordinator for Castle Hill YMCA and PS 108 emailed Catelin to ask for a quote or invoice for Ostgardr coming to site to educate kids on Middle Ages and Renaissance culture. Questions for them:

1. What sort of budget are they looking at?

2. What sort of access is there for bringing in equipment?

3. Is there parking available?

4. Do they want this midweek during work hours?

5. Would there be any weapons restrictions?

6. What would they want from us? Lectures, hand-on demos, combat exhibition, etc?

7. What sort of setting would it be in?

8. How many people, for how many hours?

YMCA is a larger organization and a successful demo/lecture would help get us a recommendation for other YMCA facilities in the city. Catelin said she would take point, but would prefer a co-organizer. Albrecht volunteered to assist.

Friderich requested someone with a graphics background design a banner for “Upcoming in Ostgardr” for the website. Three volunteers stepped up.

Fighter practice in McCarren Park has started up again. Ervald is all in favor of fighters organizing trips to various practices and events and wants to know about it so he can get involved too. Ervald has set up a room in his apartment as an armor workshop.

Perez and Albrecht are going to Balfar’s Challenge and Southern Army Sundays the following day.  Padgraige has offered a ride and to transport gear to SAS. There are a couple seats left. Fighters are also going to Daffodils. There should be some fencers at SAS.

E-Horse – Submissions are needed for Summer edition, which should be publish in June.

Coronation Wrap-Up – Food and Decor got rave reviews. Fighting tournament went smoothly.

Going forward:

More parking coordination

Rent all the tents or host events later in the season where we can mark out the sprinkler system and stake things down. Possible replacement for G&W.

Gate would need to be set up on the south lawn field, to prevent mundanes walking through event. Legend was created by Catelin as she ran down and stopped a large quinceañera party from cutting through the event.

Brochures, business cards, and fliers, as well as a number of people for outreach/chatelaine duties would be beneficial.

We need someone to take propane use/handling exam, so we do not need to balance with an off site kitchen. Idea of a food truck was brought up but not really viable for a large event. Perhaps reaching out and getting someone from the FDNY to be there instead of getting a propane certification. Sofya volunteered to get propane certification.

Having a staff member devoted to reminding people to hydrate and eat.

Kunigunde brought up that youth activities area was kind of hidden.

Keeping to schedule would help breakdown squad from getting burnt out.

Event turned a profit despite going way over the food budget.

Richard the Poor brought up info about Unesco website and fun and outrageous activities that took place in the middle ages.

Francisco brought up issue about the fact that we don’t have a refund policy. This discussion has been tabled for the financial committee.

Upcoming Events/Activities

Sponsored by Østgarðr or its Cantons

5/14 Lions End Spring Schola – Levittown, NY

5/14 Viking Fest – Brooklyn, NY ?

Of interest to the populace

4/23 Balfar’s Challenge – Dragonship Haven

4/23 Black Gryphon Inn – Gryphonwald

4/30 Tournament of the Daffodils V – Port Jervis, NY

5/7 East Kingdom Crown Tourney – Nicolet, Quebec

5/27-30 Leonardo’s Quest for Wit and Wisdom – Pittstown, NJ 

6/3-5 Southern Region War Camp – Manalapan, NJ

6/4 Consort’s Championship of Arms – Nazareth, PA

6/16-19 Les Baltaines – Saint-Mathieu-du-Parc, QC 

6/18 Potted Arms and Fancy Faire – Huntington, NY

Upcoming Commons Meetings

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Closing

Meeting closed at 9:35pm

April 2022 Compiled Officer Reports

  1. Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

Thank you everyone for the amazing work on Coronation. We feel the Province really went above and beyond here and we set a very high bar for other events and especiallyother Coronations across the SCA.

Congratulations to Our Populace who got recognized by Their Majesties at Coronation:

Gibbs Moryss,Edwin the Younger and Hanya Vladimirovna Polotskaya received their Arms

Jenna Childslayer received her Silver Brooch

Ibrahim al-Rashid received a Writ for the Order of The Laurel

and Padgraige our Armored Combat Champion received a Silver Wheel

I am sorry I had the box with the Ostgardr trim with me and completely forgot to hand it off to Alienor to distribute. So… I still have the Box

We are looking for award recommendations for our 3 upcoming courts: Lion’s in Spring Schola 5/14, Pennsic and Barleycorn.

Please also look   consider recommending your friends and fellow SCAdians for Kingdom Awards. We have another Royal Progress happening in Ostgardr in September, which is a very good amount of lead time to write recommendations.

Pennsic is 100 days away. If you are camping with Ostgardr please pre-register so we can get our land. If you are not an Ostgardr resident but would like to camp with Ostgardr please reach out to Suuder and Lada to request permission to camp with Ostgardr.

Do we need to have a Pennsic Camp meeting?

Coronation:

General Feedback from Coronation has been excellent. This is both from Their Majesties and the populace.

The site loved us and will absolutely welcome us back

Things that went REALLY well:

  • The food was delicious and keeps getting rave reviews.
  • Our decor in coordination with the Royal Decor team looked amazing.

Things that we can do better next time at this site:

  • Control on parking at this site. We will need someone who is priority parking who can manage that area directly and tell people to drive off and not park there just because there is space.
  • While we did manage to get our tents up with weights. It was not optimal. We need to either rent all the tents we will be using in that space or host events later in the season where we can mark out the sprinkler system and stake things down.
  • Gate would need to be set up on the south lawn field. We had a lot of mundane people wandering through because they did not realize this was a private function.
  • We got a lot of exposure at the site and having multiple folks to chatelaine on hand with brochures, business cards would be good.
  • If we do hot food at this site, we now have enough lead time to have someone take the propane use/handling exam, so we do not need to balance with an off site kitchen.

Budget wise:

We went over budget. Mainly in the food /dayboard bracket.

Here is the financial report for review.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/134aZl28R6_H04V5pZhlAb8rXmYO97FWI/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=116064813768068826079&rtpof=true&sd=true

It is pending on me receiving the last of the receipts from Arnbjorg for the food. I am going off the # she gave me here.

I’ve added a tab with our original budget for comparison purposes.

  1. Seneschal • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi

Thank you everyone for your work in making Coronation a successful event, and congratulations to the Ostgardrian award recipients!

Our chatelaine is stepping down at the end of this month and Albrecht has volunteered to step up temporarily. We will need deputies as well.

On a more somber note, I had to open a bullying and harassment investigation that has gone up the chain beyond the East Kingdom Seneschal. It saddens me that this happened, but I am resolved in my duty as seneschal to perform my duties to the best of my abilities.

  1. Exchequer • Francisco de Braga
  • Currently waiting for Kingdom to respond to our request to add/remove signatories on our banking account.
  • I will be assisting Brokenbridge in an effort to get their new and up to speed.
  • Northern Storage deposit is due and will be paid this weekend. I will submit a request for reimbursement afterwards.
  • Coronation Refund checks have been issued to those who requested it prior to the event. I am waiting on Reimbursement request submissions and will write appropriate checks for them once reviewed by the event stewards.
  • I would like to formally request that we review our Financial policy on event refunds. It does not appear we currently have anything written.
  • 2022 – Q1 Reporting is due at the end of this month. As always, anyone wishing to see our quarterly reports (past and/or present) may reach out to me.
  1. Herald • Drasma Dragomira

While I do have some submissions rolling from Coronation and beyond the last couple of weeks, if you’re thinking of working on a name, device, or badge, feel free to reach out to me. 

  1. Chatelaine • Catelin Straquhin

I’ll be stepping down as Chatelaine after this month. It has been an absolute pleasure working with everyone.

The site coordinater for Castle Hill YMCA has reached out asking for a quote for our demonstration services. They are interested in having us come to educate children on pre 17th century history, focusing on the middle ages and the Renaissance. I think working with them would be an excellent opportunity.

  1. Chancellor Minor • Kunigunde Wedemann

My background check went through and I was cleared for working with our youth only days before Coronation! Youth activities were successful at Coronation, although I did expect more kids to come by. All in all, I still had a total of 9 kids come by. Some of them hung out in the Youth Point pavilion and the others made something and left. The most popular project was stab binding, followed by making blue tyger flags. One adult, who was accompanied by children, also learned to do stab binding. A big thank you to Mathghamhain, for being my second adult, and helping to keep things legal by being present at the Youth Pavilion. My next big event to focus on for activities is Barleycorn. 

  1. Arts & Sciences • Randve L’il Hammar

No report

  1. Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre

No report

  1. Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

No report

  1. Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

Fencing practice will resume on Tuesday, April 27th, At McCarren Park in Brooklyn, at 7pm. 

  1. Youth Combat • Vacant

No report

  1. Minister of Lists • Marion of York

No report

  1. Webminister • Friderich Grimme

My report to EK Webminister was submitted on April 5, 2022.

The website for Coronation seems to have been well received.

EK web ministry alerted me to a malformed Fusion Directory entry ‘recording.secretary.’ It looks like this was intended to be an email address but was never set up properly. Since it was not working and does not match an official Ostgardr officer position, I deleted it. We can always remake it if needed.

Wanted: Are there graphics designers among us who could create a banner or graphic/icon for the weekly ‘Upcoming in Ostgardr’ post? If yes, please contact me.

Also, I am planning on setting up some static picture galleries for past events and practices. I need to review the photo-release requirements before putting this up. I will probably start canvassing for pictures next month.

As always, please let your Web Ministerknow when you are running practices and activities, so I can add them to the Ostgardr calendar and the ‘Upcoming in Ostgardr’ posts. I try to have posts up about 2 weeks in advance. While I can pull announcements from facebook, I’m often left guessing about how you would like the announcement formatted on the web (and facebook makes collecting links a pain).

  1. Chronicler • Zahra de Andaluzia

No report


Social Media • Albrecht Anker 

We had success working with the kingdom’s social media, and web ministry team on “streaming” the coronation.

We ran into bit rate issues once coronation started. Bitrate tanked because of the sheer number of cell usage in the area. We are going to be looking into doing at least a recording that could be rapidly posted if live streaming isn’t feasible.

But we managed to get a good recording with great sound so that is a lot of value.

I have a couple of ideas to do a Social media push for spring which I will bring up at commons.

Facebook page views are up 

141.18% vs. Mar 22, 2022

  1. Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

No Report

  1. Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

March 17th

Being the Court of Their Majesties/Their Excellencies held on March 17, 2022, in the SCA East Kingdom YouTube Channel at Ethereal Court of Their Royal Majesties Ioannes II and Honig II the following good gentles of Ostgardr received writs.

  • Lord Brendan Firebow received a writ for the order of Defense
  • Lord Thorfinnr Hrothgeirsson received a writ for the order of the Laurel 

April 9th

On April 9th, A.S. LVI (2022) Their Majesties Ioannes Aurelius Serpentius II and Ro Honig von Sommerfeldt II held Their last Court in the Crown Province of Ostgardr bestowing gifts and accolades. Soon to follow, Their Majesties Ioannes Aurelius Serpentius II and Ro Honig von Sommerfeldt II stepped down and Ryouko’jin of the Iron Skies & Indrakshi Aani Aravinda were crowned King and Queen of the East! Long live the King and Queen of the East!

Being the First Court of Their Majesties Ryouko’jin & Indrakshi in the Crown Province of Ostgardr at Coronation, Their Majesties called forward the following good gentles of the Crown Province and awarded the following:

  • Gibbs Moryss was called forth and awarded Arms (AoA)
  • Edwin the Younger was also called forth and awarded Arms (AoA)
  • Hanya Vladimirovna Polotskaya was called forth as well and awarded Arms (A0A)
  • Jenna Childersley was inducted into the Order of the Silver Brooch for service to Ostgardr and the East Kingdom
  • Ibrahim al-Rashid received a Writ to answer the question of whether he will join the Order of The Laurel

Whyt Whey • Alienor Salton
Whyt Whey had its quarterly commons last week. We resumed discussion of a new name for the canton. Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival (Cloister demo) is Oct. 2, 2022. Mathghamhain is our event steward for the demo. Damion DiGrazia (of Santa’s Knights and steel combat) is the new festival coordinator.
Lions End • Iola Wulfsdotter

No report

  1. Brokenbridge • Ragnarr bláskegg

Brokenbridge is proud to have two new AoA recipients. Our A&S Minister, Hanya Vladimirovna Polotskaya and our seeing to be exchequer Edwin the Younger.

We are looking to see if we can do something at the old stone house this spring/summer and looking for a new space for Deck the Halls of Valhalla.

We are also looking into some street fairs to demo at.

Lastly Brokenbridge Seneschal LOI are due April 30.

  1. Committees

Coronation Planning:

No report

Flair Committee:

No report

East Kingdom lifts Masking Requirement for Outdoor activities

On March 1, 2022, the East Kingdom’s masking requirement has been lifted for outdoor activities only. All indoor activities still require people to follow the East Kingdom’s Masking Policy and the SCA, Inc. COVIDsafe policy.

Below is the text of the announcement sent to the Østgarðr seneschal.

“Good evening to the Populace of the East Kingdom,

March brings renewal and anticipation of warmer weather and outdoor gatherings. Their Majesties, Their Highnesses, and the Office of the Kingdom Seneschal note with relief that COVID rates continue to trend favorably downward.

Yet, we must proceed with great care for our youngest Tygers and those of the Kingdom who are immunocompromised or otherwise cannot be vaccinated.

Accordingly, we feel that it is appropriate at this time to lift the Kingdom’s mask requirement for outdoor gatherings only, as of today, March 1st, including martial activities. We remind everyone to continue safety practices such as social distancing, frequent handwashing, etc.

Please note: folks gathering in a public tent / pop-up / pavilion with 3 or 4 walls up must continue to wear masks. The air flow with 3 or 4 walls up is insufficient to be safely unmasked. Masks may be lowered briefly while actively eating or drinking.

Of course, many will wish to continue to wear masks, and we respect that choice. Everyone must take the steps necessary for their own sense of safety at our activities.

The mask requirement remains in place for all indoor gatherings of any size/activity, for everyone over the age of 2.

The Kingdom continues to follow the COVIDSafe policy, which requires that all attendees of in-person gatherings who are eligible to be vaccinated either show evidence of full vaccination or show negative test results of a medically-supervised COVID test taken within 72 hours of the in-person gathering. Attendees 18 years old and up must also show either a government-issued photo ID or their current SCA membership card; the name on the identification must match the name on the vaccination card/negative test results.

As always, if state/provincial/local ordinances are more restrictive than these directives, we must follow those government ordinances. We will review this directive at the beginning of April.

Reminders: there are currently no restrictions on the size of gatherings, food may be served (but think through how to do so with the least amount of contact), and pre-registration is not required for an in-person gathering, but if there’s no pre-reg, the person in charge of the gathering needs to get contact tracing information (legal name and either a phone number or email address).

Continue to take good care of yourselves, Tyger populace. We’ll see you in person soon.

In service to the Kingdom,

Medhbh inghean Ui Cheallaigh, Kingdom Seneschal

Audrye Beneyt, Kingdom Seneschal-Elect

Ioannes II and Honig II, Emperor and Empress
Ryouko’jin and Indrakshi, Heirs to the Tyger Throne”

You may also view this announcement at the East Kingdom Gazette.

Read the Viceregal Candidates’ Letters of Intent

In case you missed them on the SCA NYC: Crown Province of Østgarðr Facebook Group, here are the letters of intent for all the candidate slates for the Viceregal polling in progress:

Additionally, two Meet the Candidates Nights were held online in January. Recordings of those sessions are being posted to Youtube and may be accessed at the links below.

Complete information about the current Viceregal Polling process may be found on the Østgarðr website here.

The Viceregal Polling is Underway

In the coming months, Their Highnesses of the East will be selecting successors to Suuder and Lada, the current Viceregents of Østgarðr. To advise Their Highnesses East on this weighty decision, a polling of the populace of Østgarðr is being held. The polling officially begins on Feb. 8, 2022 and lasts until Mar. 15, 2022.

The pairs of candidates who have stepped forward are (by Order of Precedence)…

  • Maestra Sofya Gianetta di Trieste & Lady Angelica di Nova Lipa
  • Hlafdige Alienor Salton & Boaire Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
  • Lord Ragnarr Blaskegg & Lord Albrecht Anker

Over the following week or two, all registered members of the SCA living in Østgarðr, will be receiving the Viceregal Polling in the mail. On this polling they may indicate their preference for which candidate pair they wish to succeed Suuder and Lada.

Instructions for completion and return will be included with the ballot, along with a postage-paid return envelope. Completed ballots must be received by Mar. 15, 2022 in order to be counted.

It is imperative that you return any ballot you receive, even if you have no preference, as at least 50% of the paid SCA members living in Østgarðr must return their ballots for the polling to be valid.

If you do not receive your ballot by Feb. 21, 2022 or if you have any questions regarding the polling process, please contact the Provincial Seneschal, Lord Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi by email at seneschal@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org.

Below you can find some answer to common questions:

What are the rules governing this polling?
The rules governing the polling come from East Kingdom Law (sections VII.C and VII.G) and the Østgarðr Charter (section IV.D).

When will the results of the polling be released?
The results of the polling will not be released publicly. The results of the polling will be reported to the Crown and Kingdom Seneschal within three weeks of the closing date of the polling. Their Highnesses East will consider the results of the polling when making their selection.

When will we know who the next Viceregents will be?
By East Kingdom Law, results of the polling must be tallied and transmitted to the Kingdom Seneschal and the Crown within three weeks of the end date of the polling. The Crown must announce their selection for the new Viceregents within four weeks of receiving the results of the polling. This means the successors to the Viceregency will be known by May 3, 2022.

What if I don’t receive a ballot?
If you are a registered SCA member living in the Crown Province of Østgarðr, and you have not received your ballot by February 21, 2022, please contact the Provincial Seneschal, Lord Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi by email at seneschal@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org.

I have children who are SCA members. Do they get a say in this polling?
By East Kingdom Law (section VII.C.e.i&ii) ballots from members less than 14 years old count toward establishing the validity of the polling, but not count towards the preference tally that is transmitted to the Crown and the Kingdom Seneschal. Ballots from members 14 years and older are counted in the preference tally.

Where can I learn more about the Viceregal Candidates
The Letters of intent for the Viceregal Candidate slates may be found here.

Additionally, all of the Viceregal candidate pairs have posted their letters of intent on the SCA NYC: Crown Province of Østgarðr Facebook Group. These letters will be posted to the Ostgardr website shortly.

Meet the Candidates Night #1
Meet the Candidates Night #2