In December, the SCA’s Board of Directors extended the suspension of in-person events through May 31, 2021. As conditions continue to develop, small in-person gatherings may be permitted in specific areas; contact your branch seneschal or relevant kingdom officer for additional details.
By now many of you have heard that our Canton of Northpass has been suspended for 1 year. There are still some details that have to be hammered out regarding the stewardship of the Canton’s funds and property. We are working to make sure it’s all done properly thru kingdom and society.
During this suspension period any and all activities that were happening under the Canton will now be sponsored by the Province. This includes events, classes, demos etc. If anyone from the Canton was planning any other events they will need to be approved by the Province. I’d like to ask the autocrats to reach out to me so I can get the events onto the next Provincial Commons Agenda.
I would encourage those who were a part of the Canton to become more active with the Province itself. I know that the Canton of Northpass has over the years developed a sense of being isolated, especially with drive times and distances. But you are all still residents of Ostgardr. Please come to activities and events that are held throughout the Province. I encourage all residents of the Crown Province to travel to the activities held in our northern reaches to support our populace there. I would also encourage anyone who is willing to volunteer at local events and for officer and deputy positions. Ostgardr wants Northpass to become a stable and active canton again. Myself, Their Excellencies, the Provincial Officers and the rest of the Province look forward to working with everyone towards that goal.
Acting Seneschal of Ostgardr
- Seeking event steward and other crew chiefs for the “Test of An Dubhaigeainn and Østgarðr”, to take place in early June 2014. If you’re interested, please contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
- A number of Østgarðr officer positions will expire at the end of December; see list of openings and procedures for nomination below.
The following positions on the Ostgardr Officer Council will have their terms end on December 31, 2013:
- Minister of Lists,
- Marshal of Fence,
- Thrown Weapons Captain,
- Chamberlain, and
Descriptions of the requirements for being a provincial officer may be found in the Ostgardr bylaws.
All those gentles interested in serving in one of these positions, including all current officers seeking to renew for an additional two year term must submit a letter of intent to the Viceregents and the seneschal by November 15, 2013. The letter of intent must include:
- Position you are seeking
- Legal Name
- Sca name
- Sca member number and expiration date
- Home address (with zip code and county)
- Phone number
- Length of activity in the crown province
- List of current/prior offices in the Sca, if any
- Additional information
If any of the officers current serving in the above positions do not wish to serve an additional term, but are willing to serve if no other suitable candidates arise, please say so in your letter of intent.
The list of candidates for each position will be posted by November 20, 2013. Approval of candidates will happen after that date with officers being selected by and beginning their new terms on January 1, 2014.
Many thanks to those who volunteer.
- Jan. 2011: Procedures for the Viceregal Succession have been posted here.
- Dec. 19, 2008: Tonight’s Østgarðr Commons has been postponed to Saturday, Dec. 20, due to weather.
- Feb. 11, 2007: Sir Patri du Chat Gris, OL, OP, ETC, well known as a student and teacher of historical dance, as well as long-time Baron of Carolingia, passed away after a long battle with liver cancer.
- Jan. 17, 2007: Two one-page publicity flyers have been posted for downloading and handing out: a plain, black-and-white version and a version with the Ostgardr arms as a colored “watermark”.
- Jan. 6, 2007: Their Excellencies’ monthly missives to the populace, Sententiæ Viceregalis, are now on the Web.
Prima Epistula, Nov AS XLI
by Alexandre Lerot d’Avigne and Eularia Trewe,
Viceroy and Vicereine of Østgarðr
Greetings to the people of the Crown Province of Østgarðr from Alexandre and Eularia, Viceroy and Vicereine of Østgarðr. First we wish to express Our thanks to everyone who was involved in Our investiture at John Barleycorn this year, and with the event in general. We are pleased and honoured to be Viceregents of a group so rich in history, talent, skill and knowledge as Østgarðr. We shall serve the Province to the best of Our ability.
However, a group as large and diverse as Østgarðr requires a great many people to function effectively. Broadly speaking, there are two sets of people who do the work that keep a local group such as this one strong: the Officers and the Event Staff, who are sometimes the same people. We shall talk about Events and Event Staff in an upcoming epistle, writing about the officers now.
The Crown Province is required by East Kingdom Law to have the following officers:
- Knight Marshal
- Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Minister of Arts and Sciences
- Minister of Lists
The Cantons must have:
- Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Herald and/or Knight Marshal and/or Minister of Arts and Sciences
Serving as an officer is a good way to get more involved in the SCA, in this great hobby which exists only because those involved give of their time, energy and talents to make it exist. Each of the officers listed above, at both the Cantonal and Provincial level, may and should have deputies. Deputies help their principal, learn the duties of their principal and sometimes take on specific duties as their own bailiwick. The main requirements to be an officer are an interest in the job and in helping the group, and the willingness to do the work. On-the-job training is available for deputies!
We urge any and all of you, new to the SCA or long-time member, to consider serving your Province or, where applicable, your Canton as an Officer. Speak to the Officers and find out what they do and if they’d like a deputy. Get involved behind the scenes and help keep the Province strong.
|Baron Alexandre||Baroness Eularia|
|Viceroy of Østgarðr||Vicereine of Østgarðr|
- June 28, 2006: Their Majesties announced the results of the Viceregal Succession Poll: Alexandre and Eularia will be the next Viceroy and Vicereine of Østgarðr, to be invested at Barleycorn on September 9.Vivant! to the new Viceregency. Vivant! to the outgoing Viceregency, taking a well-deserved retirement from the position after c. 25 years. Vivant! to the other candidates,Andrea, Renier, and Aurora; all the candidates ran courteous, thoughtful campaigns and brought good ideas to our attention.