New? Start here!

The Crown Province of Østgarðr is the greater New York City chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism, a not-for-profit educational and social organization dedicated to re-creating aspects of medieval and Renaissance culture. You can read more about the SCA at “About Us.”

If you have any questions or want to get started with us, email our newcomers’ officer. You can find links to our Facebook group, mailing list, and local sub-chapters at “Getting Involved.”

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on New? Start here!

Upcoming Virtual Provincial Classes, September 2020

Creating Your East Kingdom Wiki Page

When: Tuesday 9/1/2020 from 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. EST

Where: On Google Meet 
Meeting ID
meet.google.com/bwx-irdz-woo
Phone Numbers (‪US‬)
‪+1 617-675-4444‬
PIN: ‪601 132 068 5638#‬

Description:  Not sure how to make a personal page on the East Kingdom Wiki (or even just wondering what the East Kingdom Wiki is?).  Join this class to walk through how to make a basic personal page for yourself.  

Creating your SCA Persona, an Introduction

When: Thursday 9/10/2020 from 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Where: On Google Meet
Meeting ID
meet.google.com/ory-bmbt-nyb
Phone Numbers
(‪US‬)
‪+1 617-675-4444‬
PIN: ‪443 344 016 8787#‬

Description:  Have you wondered what an SCA Persona is or wanted to make your SCA Persona more useful?  Join this class to review the basic concepts of persona and how to the persona work for you in your SCA experience.

Posted in Arts & Sciences, Calendar | Leave a comment

Notes from Commons May 15, 2020

Alec McL: 

  • will go back to Manhattanville when the quarantine is over

Alienor:

  • Haven’t received any reminiscences for folks who’ve passed
  • Lada, do you have permission to share the article he wrote for Silver Horde?
  • Lada: will check

Angelica:

  • Have put together little embroidery kits with hoops and thread and such. If you have information about period embroidery please send it to me.

Anne:

  • Available to help with online activities

Catelin:

  • Bardic video project is coming along, thanks to Gavin for audio work.
  • Hoping to organize an online concert this summer.

Drasma:

  • Working on submissions for a couple of people.
  • If you want your device redrawn in a format optimized for an social-media avatar, email me.

Francisco:

  • First quarter exchequer docs are submitted, got comments from kingdom, have meeting scheduled for tomorrow to review changes to the report format.

Sofya:

  • Pennsic is cancelled. 
  • If there are things you’d like me to include in writeups of recent events, mail me about them. I try to find information but sometimes I miss things.

Mathghamhain:

  • No youth combat activity, obviously.
  • We have material for sachets — cloves, lavender, cedar, spearmint, and flax seeds — if you will make fabric sachets we can mail you the filling.

Uji:

  • Not much to report, all event cancelled

Perez:

  • Cooking efforts for every court
  • Thanks to Anne for setting up an account so I could stream via Google Meet.
  • Lada: Let’s figure out how you can get that added to the EK calendar; 
  • Thanks to Ervald for doing remote fighter practice, I was able to make this last week and have previous ones recorded to
  • At 7:30 PM daily there’s a West Kingdom zoom pell practice.

Richard:

  • I’ve been looking at some updated rules for Hnefatafl. 

Zahra:

  • Looking forward to publishing the next issue of the Seahorse
  • Participating in a scribal competition. Lots of people drew a letter and sent it off to a guy who runs a parchment shop on the West Coast, “Medieval Goods and Parchment” in Oregon.

Lada:

  • Interbaronial largess exchange / competition scheduled for Pennsic has been postponed, will reschedule to next year.
  • EK Scribal fundraiser for PPE donations, signup in comments; create a piece of scribal art to be auctioned, proceeds to be donated.

Ervald:

  • Thanks to Gavin to showing up for fighter practice.
  • Tuesday 7-8:30 virtual training and fighter practice.
  • Will start at 6:45 next week to talk about building swords.
  • There’s a FB group for SCA Virtual Fighter Practice with lots of training tips and videos.
  • Previous weeks videos posted on NY Knights Combat YT channel.
  • Hopefully will start up again with fighter practice again when that’s safe, either in McCarren Park or Manhattanville.
  • Hopefully we’ll be able to show up to 100 Minutes War this winter.
Posted in Commons | Leave a comment

Minutes from April 17 Commons (2020)

Meeting called to order 8pm.  Thorfinnr took minutes.  These notes are heavily edited to include action items and other items of interest that may still be relevant.  For the meeting itself, everyone on the call contributed a personal or SCA-related update.

Lada: this month we lost two of our populace members, Targai and Conor.  

This past weekend, her majesty and their highnesses held their first ethereal court, with a shoutout to Mathghamhain for writing bylaws.  All events through the end of June are canceled in the East.  This means that our demo is now canceled along with any proposed events or events that we had on the calendar.  While unfortunate, this is for the greater good and we will get through this.  

Countess Fortune is coordinating a dancing-in-armor video for the east kingdom, freestyle dancing to the eye of the tiger. 

About two months ago we mentioned the inter-baronial largesse challenge which is supposed to happen at Pennsic.  The baronage of the East will figure something out.  We’re excited to see where you’re progressing with it, so feel free to share if you’ve created some pieces or whatnot.

Catelin: I’m coordinating a provincial concert, putting musicians together and selecting music.  We’ll start with a prerecorded video.  Gavin and Simon will do the video and audio editing for this specific piece.  

Suuder: House Runnymede will be doing an online Q&A.  Questions will be submitted before hand to be answered by the entirety of Runnymede. 

Alienor: we are encouraging online activities.  This is going to be longer than we were originally anticipating, so think of ways to do an online event.  Suggest what you’d like to do.

I need a deputy.  I want someone who hasn’t done it before to deepen our pool.  I have a year and a half left and I am term limited.  I want there to be more experience out there for the upcoming election.  Critical job requirements are good judgement and attention to detail. Volunteering is not commiting to run but getting experience that can be helpful if you want to be canton seneschal one day.  It will tell you if you want to do it.  I actually find this job to be a lot of fun.  I will gladly take on multiple deputies.

Your membership won’t lapse while this is going on, this is official from corporate.  They’ll announce when that’s over.

Francisco: Exchequer stuff.  Because of all the cancellation of events, I did not submit or create a check for the AnDub challenge that proposed for the end of June.  Kingdom has been looking for help with some Northpass exchequer reporting.  When they went into suspension obviously the officers were put on hold, and that stopped – we’ve been trying to get access to the account and bank statements and luckily we’ve managed to get a hold of the former exchequer who has been trying to help us gain access.  Because the online account hasn’t been accessed recently it’s actually locked him out, so he’s looking into how to help kingdom finish their 2019 reporting and then ultimately 2020.  As a reminder if there’s any other exchequers, Q1 is due at the end of the month.  I have one more reimbursement for Bear’s Tavern.  And one more request coming for temporary storage of Northpass feast gear.

Drasma: not too much to report, no consultations.  Submissions go in as normal so we can consult remotely.  As long as you can mail it you’re good.  If you want digital art, we can help.  I have a lovely device which is optimized for that.  If you want one of those I can help you out.  Email me.  Heralds quarterly reports are due may 1 so I will do that, that’s also true for canton heralds.

Laila: we had a pretty successful collegium event.  This is the sort of thing that can work pretty well as an online event.  I would be down to co-autocrat a collegium type event but I’d need someone who is really tech savvy to be the other half of the co-autocrating equation.

I don’t have a lot of new news.  A few new contacts this month.  People being indoors are at least starting to look towards the future.  I had already been thinking about maybe doing a couple of newcomers classes to make sure we don’t lose the momentum from these new people, so if you have thoughts about any of the classes let me know.  We might want to put together a newcomers classe series.  I can put together a persona class, if someone wants to do heraldry and names, if anyone can put together a video introduction to martial arts in the SCA, I think we can do something to keep the interest of the new people coming in right now.  For kids, we were thinking color theory for younger kids and Shakespeare for high schoolers.  

Thorfinnr: Please continue to take classes from and offer classes to the EK A&S ministry, who is doing a terrific job with lots of content. There’s an online 24-hour viking schola being planned for the weekend of April 25th which might be something fun to contribute to.

Ervald: In the virtual world equivalent of having fighter practice in my backyard is having it on my front page, so it’s basically a training session for anyone who wants to tune in for anyone from 7 to 9:30.  I assure you that if anyone gets close enough for me to hit them with a stick, they’re too close, so I look for those places where I can be far enough away from people.  Working on basics expanding to what else we can do with it.

All of my practices are on my youtube page.  http://youtube.com/newyorkknightscombat1.  

Mathghamhain: There’s a new SCA-wide discord channel for heralds, so if you’re not getting enough heraldry chat, there’s more available.  LMK if you want an invite.

Anne: I am here to support whoever wants to host things online.  I can get you set up with an EK account so you can run meetings like this one.  Message me.

Vika: virtual quarterly commons on the 4th, Simon Talbot is new webminister, WW needs new volunteers for deputy webminister and minister of A&S.

Brokenbridge: there was a meeting on the 4th.  They need a chatelaine.  Brandr will take email for that ongoing.

Alienor:  No committee activity on lockdown—the only event we have upcoming is Pennsic, which is unclear.  The Pennsic mayor is in discussion with Æthelmearc and everyone, and will make a decision by May 15.

Cailleach:  Old Stone Bridges is good.  I wanted to come and share thanks from our shire.  I’ve been seneschal for 2.5 years now and we’re just about at the point of leaving incipiency, and we couldn’t have done that without Østgarðr.  Thanks to Alienor, Mathghamhain, Lili, Francisco, Lada & Suuder.  I’m really glad we were able to have that meeting at Dancing Fox two years ago and it’s just been a wonderful experience.  As seneschal for our shire, I can’t thank you enough and if I’m missing anybody it’s completely because I wasn’t planning on speaking tonight. 

Aurora:   The june 26 event for Østgarðr did not have the group use application, but that’s now canceled so it doesn’t matter.  The park needs a release form and a notarized page.  They’ve already had pig roasts there so at least we’ll eat pig.  After that I’ll get more chefs.  For decorations I have a lot of things I’ve been working for 6 months—it needs tons and tons of fabric.  I’d like to have classes and because this particular site is very much airy we could still hold classes because there’s plenty of room.  

Alienor: moment of silence for our absent friends.  We will not be able to have a memorial in person, so I would like us to do a website post perhaps, with thoughts and pictures so that we can memorialize them there and put some of our feelings out.

Meeting adjourned to socializing at 8:55

Posted in Commons | Leave a comment

Notes from Aug. 2020 Commons

CLASSES OF INTEREST

  • Brewers class tomorrow [Saturday, Aug. 22], 3-6 Thorfinn
  • Laila EKCoP class 16th C music of the stage Sunday, Aug. 23, evening performance

PROPOSED EVENTS

  • Virtual event in the province.  3 princes day.  Event steward & head cook: Friderich.  [Virtual dinner party: Cooking classes online beforehand, then everyone cook at home and eat together.  Zoom breakout rooms for “tables”.]  Laila, bardic.  Could stream music over YouTube.  Bish has offered use of his corporate Zoom account.  Anne will research a paid Zoom account for the province (assess feasibility, see if we want to use for future events).  May also assist with technical aspects?  Perez will help coordinate.  To be held in Nov. (near Princes Day [Ozurr, Anton, Cullen—cross-kingdom, East meets West]).  Needs FB group, mailing list.  Need volunteers to manage the breakout rooms.
  • Purim event mid-Feb / early-March.  Online.  Laila, Berakh & Zahra?  Check with Mistress Judith bas Rabbi Mendel of Settmour Swamp, who has run a similar event.  Fancy costumes, hamentaschen, drinking until you can’t distinguish Haman and … Esther?  Safer at home, lol.  

ACTIVITIES

  • Mask competition sponsored by the viceregents, make a mask that fits your persona, period or provincial themed (your arms, or garb, or other relevant heraldry, etc.). Deadline extended.
  • EK Halloween dance-off to Thriller.

COMMONS BUSINESS SCHEDULE CHANGE

  • Official business meetings to happen every other commons, social meeting continues monthly.  Business bits welcome at every meeting — bring whatever you want to discuss.  No reports required.  Encouraged to submit said bits to the populace mailing list beforehand.

TRANSLATORS

  • EK wiki page for translators.  Put what you’re willing to translate in your personal wiki, and FB message Laila (Krishna Alexandra) to be added to the page.

CLASSES UNDER DEVELOPMENT

  • Friderich [EK wiki page construction, persona development]
  • Laila [advanced persona development (coordinate with Friderich’s basic class)], 
  • Jenna [Pennsic 101, sewing machine]
  • Catelin [tailor terms (coordinate with Jenna’s sewing machine class), Islamic Renaissance (Thorfinn has geometric tile pattern book _Islamic Geometric Designs_ for loan].  
  • Encouraged to go through EK A&S online classes — publicity, tech. assistance coordinating the meeting, YouTube video posted if class is recorded.  
  • Laila suggests soliciting classes on topics from Africa & the Americas; Jenna suggests reaching out to instructors on these topics from virtual Pennic.

E-HORSE

  • Zahra would like material for the Seahorse.  Next publication date is Sept. 1st.  Will have an in-memoriam section.

LINKS CONTRIBUTED IN CHAT

Posted in Commons | Leave a comment

Virtual commons TODAY (Friday, July 17), and other upcoming events

Commons is Friday, July 17th, 7:30-10:30pm. We will share news at 8pm.
Meeting URL: https://meet.google.com/nhu-qsgk-zzi (you can join this with a computer, you don’t need to turn on video or microphone to join us)
Phone: ‪+1 402-364-0138‬ PIN: ‪616 864 602#‬ (dial this number on your phone and you can listen and speak at Commons)

 Other upcoming events:

“Yaking with the Il Khanate”
on Sunday 7/26 from 4 to 6pm
Put on some garb if you’d like and come hang out with us and other members of Ostgardr. We want to make ourselves available to Our populace for anything you’d like to bring up, share, ask us anything and any concerns you may have.

Virtual Potluck
on Thursday 8/6 from 7 to 9 pm
With Pennsic going virtual this year and upholding Ostgardr tradition we would like to invite everyone to come together for a virtual Ostgardr Potluck on Thursday 8/6 from 7 to 9pm. This is an opportunity for us all to come together and share a meal when we can’t be together in person. Feel free to get creative with your table/dinner set ups to help create an immersive experience.

Bardic Circle
Every Wednesday, 7-9pm
Bring a song or story, and come to listen to others.
https://meet.google.com/eqk-xdiy-ayx

Posted in Calendar, Commons | Leave a comment

Virtual commons on Friday, June 19 (over Google Meet)

A message from our seneschal:

Please join us this Friday, June 19th, for our regularly scheduled (3rd Friday of the month) provincial social gathering & business meeting.  All are welcome!

Meeting URL: https://meet.google.com/nhu-qsgk-zziPhone: ‪+1 402-364-0138‬ PIN: ‪616 864 602#‬

Call opens at 7pm for socializing. We’ll go around all participants for comments at 8pm, and continue hanging out until everyone leaves.

Posted in Commons | Leave a comment

Summer Issue of The E-Horse

Attached below is the June 1 issue of the E-Horse, Østgarðr’s quarterly newsletter. 

Click to view in PDF format.

You can subscribe to receive future copies of the newsletter directly via Google Groups or by sending a blank email to e-horse+subscribe@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org.

Posted in Publication | Leave a comment

SCA Membership Expiration & Gifts

The Society’s Corporate office announced back in March that they would not be marking expired memberships as lapsed, in order to provide some leeway for the disruption caused by the Covid-19 outbreak.

Unfortunately, we have learned that this grace period will come to an end on July 1. This is particularly relevant for branch officers, warranted marshals, or other individuals whose position requires a current membership.

Understanding that renewing membership may represent a hardship at this time, a number of people have volunteered to sponsor memberships for others, and the Society’s Corporate office has distributed some information about how to do this effectively.

Attached below is a letter outlining the procedure for gifting memberships, along with copies of the membership forms for the U.S. and international members, followed by a plain-text version of the letter.

Gifting a Membership
(PDF, JPEG)
Membership Form
for the United States (PDF, JPEG)
or International (PDF, JPEG)

Gifting a Membership

  1. Fill out the attached membership application to the best of your ability, making sure that the Legal Name & mailing address of the recipient is correct— please leave the waiver blank unless the recipient of your gift can fill the waiver out for themselves.
  2. If you use a credit card, please include:
    1. Name on the credit card
    2. Billing address of the credit card
    3. Email address for a copy of the credit card receipt
      You may use a separate piece of paper or Post-It to submit this information.
  3. If paying by personal check, please make the check payable to SCA, Inc.
  4. Indicate whether you wish this to be an anonymous gift or would like a note included with the mailed membership card.
  5. To submit the completed application and payment, you have three options:
    1. Scan & email to membership@sca.org
    2. Mail the form and payment to the P.O. Box listed on the form [ P.O. Box 360789, Milpitas, CA 95036-0789 ]
    3. Fax the completed form to [ (408) 263-0641 ]

Once the application is received and processed, an email confirmation of renewal will be sent to the recipient. The membership card will be mailed within 5 business days. If the waiver has not been completed, a waiver form and return envelope will be included with the membership card for completion.

We would like to thank you for your generosity and kindness.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. My email address is renee@sca.org., or you can reach me at the above listed phone number.

Kind Regards,

Renee Signorotti
VP/ Corporate Operations

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Working To Redress Systemic Injustice

Below is an official statement from the Society for Creative Anachronism’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

As so many of us struggle with the pain of separation from one another socially, so too do we struggle with the realities of systemic inequality and racism in our society. In the United States and around the world, the recent senseless killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and too many before them have unleashed an avalanche of pent-up emotion.

Our Core Values, which guide us in even these darkest of times, include the following tenets: to “act in accordance with the chivalric virtues of honor and service”, to “value and respect the worth and dignity of all individuals”, and to “practice inclusiveness and respect pluralism and diversity”.

If we are to live by our core values then there is only one path forward: we must both fight against systemic injustice and support those that do.

As the unique educational organization that we are, we have the opportunity to leverage our greatest resource: our community.

It is our community that makes us who we are. That is the true value of the Society for Creative Anachronism. We treasure the rich diversity of our community as a reflection of the rich diversity of history and we owe it to ourselves to deepen our understanding of pervasive inequitable treatment so that we can move forward on a journey of healing.

There is a tremendous amount of work to be done. It is time for us to take a hard look at who we are in order to hold ourselves accountable for the actions we take – and the actions we don’t take.

There is also fear. Our current reality is the direct result of generations of discrimination and collective trauma. As we educate ourselves to best support every member of our community, we must acknowledge the fear – and speak regardless. The time for inaction is over.

Every member of the SCA can effect positive change through personal accountability. Educate yourself and those around you on issues of injustice. Speak out against it when you see it, and use any platform that you have to elevate other voices speaking out against it, particularly those voices of marginalized groups. Assist those causes which seek to address discrimination, racial inequity, and all systemic injustice through the resources that you have available to you.

I invite all members of the SCA to continue to think about further ways they can help strengthen our commitment to our Core Values.

My SCA stands against bigotry. My SCA will not be silent, and therefore complicit, in the face of injustice. I will continue to work to make my SCA a haven for all, and a key player for progress in the battle against inequality through education and community.

It is my most ardent hope that you will join me.

Jessica Van Hattem
alias Baroness Zahra Tesfaye
SCA Corporate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer

#mysca #scaathome #inclusiveexcellence #blacklivesmatter

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Commons Minutes for March 2020

The monthly commons meeting was held March 20 online. Here are the minutes as recorded by Þórfinn Hróðgeirsson and edited by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. Many personal updates were shared during the course of the call which are omitted from these notes. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attendance

Online

  • Suuder Saran, Il-Khan
  • Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal
  • Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
  • Drasma Dragomira, Herald
  • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya, Chatelaine 
  • Þorfinnr Hróðgeirsson, MoAS
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Youth Marshal
  • Anne of Østgarðr, Webminister
  • Zahra al-Andalusiyya, Chronicler
  • Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal
  • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Deputy Exchequer
  • Branimira of the Isles
  • Jenna Childslayer
  • Kunigunde Wedemann
  • Morwenna Penrose
  • Isabel of Østgarðr
  • Friderich Grimme
  • Oliver de Bainbrig
  • Perez Ben Meir Gershon
  • Ragnarr Bliskegg
  • Thomas of Northpass
Continue reading
Posted in Commons | Leave a comment