Wednesday, December 21, 2022 Commons Meeting
- Angelica di Nova Lipa, Vicereine
- Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Seneschal
- Alexander MacLachlan, Master of Fence
- Iola Wulfsdotter, Lions End Seneschal
- Ervald LaCoudre the Optimistic, Knight Marshal
- Drasma Dragomira, Herald
- Friderich Grimme, Webminister
- Marion of York, Retiring Minister of Lists
- Zahra de Andaluzia, Chronicler
- Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Historian
- Vitasha Ivanova Doch, Incoming Minister of Lists
- Hanya Vladmirovna Polotskaya
- Gibbs Moryss
- Ilia Aleksandrovich
- Jenna ChildSlayer
- Fiona the Volatile An Dubh, Brewers’ Guild
- Lada Monguligin
- Oliver De Bainbridge
- Perez ben Meir Gerson
- Richard the Poor of Ely
We note that the number of officers able to attend has been negatively influenced by the resurgence of Covid-19 and seasonal influenza in the area.
- Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Vicereine
- Arnora Ketilsdottir, Brokenbridge Seneschal
- Brandr Aronsson, MOAS
- Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
- Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain, retiring at end of 2022
- Francisco de Braga, Exchequer, retiring at end of 2022
- Kunigunde Wedemann, Chancellor Minor
- Albrecht Anker, Chatelaine
7:30 Meeting called to order.
Bullying & Harassment Policy was displayed and read
Notable Ostgardian Accomplishments
At 100 Minutes War
- Arnora Ketilsdottir won the East Kingdom Novice A&S competition (from the chat: “Arnora’s project was math themed and it was very in depth and got a ton of interest.”)
- Suuder Saran inducted into the Order of the Pelican – Congratulations!
The below Officer Candidates who were unopposed were voted on and approved by the sitting Ostgardr officers present:
- Alienore Salton for Exchequer
- Albrecht Anker for Chatelaine
- Zahra De Andaluzia for Chronicler
- Brandr Minister of Arts and Sciences
- Vitasha Ivanovich Doch for Minister of Lists
- Ervald LaCoudre the Optimistic for Knight Marshal
- Kunigunde Wedemann for Chancellor Minor
- Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin for Historian
Offices unfilled for 2023
- Captain of Archers (Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir retiring end of 2022)
- Chamberlain (Ian of Clan Mitchell retiring end of 2022)
Officer Report Items For Discussion
in a retail facility has been approved by the populace, Seneschal, and the Financial Committee. Alec MacLaughlin will take on the responsibility of renting the unit, and be reimbursed for those expenses.
Lions End proposal
to move their border to encompass portions of eastern Queens currently in Ostgardr Proper would not be opposed by the Province, so long as the East Kingdom saw no impediment. The expansion is seen as a way to increase the population of the Canton, and increase the number of individuals available to serve as Canton officers. A casual query was raised as to whether Brokenbridge would also care to expand their boundaries.
Other Items For Discussion
Representative Fiona the Volatile formally requested that Ostgardr host a Brewers’ Guild Event, Brew U, at Blue Mountain Lodge in the Peekskill area in northern Ostgardr (Northwestern Westchester County), preferably in April or May of 2023. Oliver De Bainbridge will, if dates are available, to reserve the booking for Brew U as well as for other Ostgardr events which use the site. Fiona would serve as the Event Co-Steward. Ostgardr would retain any profits.
As stated during the initial inquiry regarding the settlement of a lawsuit against the SCA and the return of Northpass, Uji is not at liberty to discuss this at this time. The previous information was redacted by Uji because I was tired and revealed more information that I should have. I am asking those in attendance at the commons meeting to ignore what was said by me in this regard. Please do not discuss any information regarding Northpass. Thank you.
Deck the Halls of Valhalla – Saturday January 14th, 2023
promises great fun but don’t wait to pre-register… There are already 20 pre-reg’d and the event is capped at 70.
- viking games
- kids’ bardic
- A medieval themed photo booth.
- Medieval gift exchange – bring a wrapped medieval themed gift in good condition. But don’t worry if you come up short, others will bring extras.
- Ostgardr Bardic Champion Competition
- multiple classes. Vitasha has offered viking wire weaving.
- Delicious Dayboard being planned! People with special dietary needs should contact Perez ASAP so accommodations may be made.
- looking to add fiber classes. People who want to teach please contact Uji, the class coordinator at Seneschal@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org.
Whyt Whey (name change to Appleholm submitted) invites all to join them on January 22nd, for a 1 PM visit to the exhibit Ritual and Memory: The Ancient Balkans and Beyond at the Institute for the Study of the Ancient World, 15 East 84th Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenues) New York, NY 10028. This is a block away from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The exhibit shows artifacts from the Neolithic through Iron ages. Background information: https://isaw.nyu.edu/exhibitions/ritual-and-memory
Entry is free to the public.
It is expected that some attendees will choose to stop at a local establishment for food and drink later.
Same day Commons and Fighter Practice – problem or opportunity?
Ervald suggests that since Commons and Fighter practice are now both on Wednesdays during cold weather that some attending Commons do so from the Manhattanville Community Center. We will test wi-fi and cell capability at the next opportunity.
New Rochelle A&S workshop on Saturday April 8th, 2023, 11 AM to 3 PM. Lada will teach a scribal class. Richard will bring games if he can have a table. Other activities are being planned. Gibbs notes that the activity is on an especially good day to be there as the library has its booksale open on Saturdays. The library is reported to be handicap accessible, and easily accessible on foot from the MetroNorth train station.
- Many exchanges of holiday greetings by the populace
- Perez ben Meir Gershon says “For those who haven’t seen, highly recommend the new “Catherine Called Birdie” on Amazon. Stars Bella Ramsey (Lady Mormont from GoT)”
- Meeting closed at 8:10 PM