Provincial Officer Opportunities

We have a number of officers whose terms are ending this coming December.  Some of them are opting to run for a 2nd term, while others are not.  Our most urgent needs are for MoAS, Chatelaine, MoL and Chronicler.

Please take a moment to read the job descriptions, below, and review the links provided for more information on any jobs that interest you.  Also consider who you know who might be interested in serving the province in these roles, then reach out to them to encourage them to run.

We are accepting letters of intent for all of the below positions from now through the November Commons.  The letters of intent will be read at that Commons, and published along with the meeting minutes.  Candidates are urged to attend the meeting, to answer any questions people may have.

We will hold an online vote of the officers council on these positions, voting to end at midnight Eastern on the 3rd Friday of December (the usual night for our Commons, which will not meet that month).  If you are not a voting officer, and you have feedback on any candidates who are running, please provide that information to me and/or to the viceregents.

Here are the positions opening up:

Chamberlain: Baron Ian will be running again.  Our chamberlain keeps an inventory of provincially-owned stuff, and maintains a storage space containing it.  He also coordinates transporting said stuff to and from events and demos as needed.

Knight Marshal ( Lord Ervald will be running for a second term.  You don’t have to be a fighter to become authorized as a marshal, but it helps.  Armored combat marshals must know and understand the rules of the lists and the conventions of combat, so that they can inspect armor and weapons, authorize fighters, and oversee combat.

Youth Combat Marshal ( Mathghamhain will be running again.  He would like to train a deputy for future replacement, as he is currently the only person in our province warranted to hold the position.  Youth marshal must know and understand the rules of youth combat, to inspect armor and weapons, authorize fighters, and oversee combat, as with armored combat.

Archery Marshal ( Arnbjorg is eagerly looking forward to running for a second term, and hopes to devote more time to the role in the coming 2 years.

Minister of Arts & Sciences ( Mistress Sofya will not be running again.  The job of an MoAS is to encourage and promote Arts & Sciences within the group, and to submit quarterly reports on A&S activities engaged in by the group.  You do not have to be a skilled practitioner for this job, though those who are tend to be drawn to this position.  What matters is that you are interested in what other people are doing, and can encourage them to teach, to display, maybe even to compete.  Finding out who is doing what, and putting them together with other people who want to learn how to do what they are doing, is a core skill for this position.

Chatelaine ( Lady Beatrice will not be running again.  To be a successful chatelaine, you have to like talking to people, both newcomers and people who have been playing for a while.  You are the bridge between the modern world and the SCA.  You tell people what we do, you find out what people are interested in, and you hook them up with other people who share their interests.  We have a large collection of Gold Key (loaner garb) in the province, which you are responsible for circulating and maintaining.  You also provide contact information suitable for distribution at demos.  Lady Beatrice’s latest innovation was business cards, which were highly successful at our most recent demo in Fort Tryon Park.  Chatelaines report quarterly on newcomer contacts and new members.  Being responsive to email is an important facet of this job.

Minister of Lists ( Lord Erich will not be running for a second term.  The Minister of Lists supports combat by assisting marshals in running tournaments and keeping track of authorizations.  The primary skill of an MoL is dealing with paperwork.

Chronicler ( Mistress Rufina would like to step down immediately. She is willing to stay on through December, if necessary.  The chronicler’s job is to produce a newsletter useful to the group on a regular schedule, at least quarterly.  The newsletter may be electronic, and may be emailed to a subscription list and/or published on the group website (our webminister can assist with the publication thereof).  Courtesy copies must be shared with the Kingdom Chronicler, current royalty, seneschal, historian and archivist.  A paper copy must be printed and kept with our provincial archives, retained by our historian.

If you have any questions about the responsibilities or time commitments for any of the above jobs, please ask me, the viceregents, the current officer, or the kingdom (or regional deputy) in charge of that office.

Thank you!

Hlæfdige Alienor Salton, known as Piglet
Canton of Whyt Whey, Province of Østgarðr, East Kingdom
Seneschal Østgarðr,

Commons Minutes for September 2018

The September commons meeting was held September 16th in Staten Island at Willowbrook Park, after Staten Island archery practice & picnic.  (We moved it from our usual 3rd Friday to avoid conflicting with Queens Farm demo preparations.)  Here are the minutes as recorded by Alienor Salton. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.


Total of 15 people; only four officers. No quorum.

  • Suuder Saran, Viceroy
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences, Historian
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal, Deputy Webminister
  • Francisco de Braga, Deputy Exchequer
  • Apollodora of Delphi, Deputy Chatelaine, Deputy MoAS
  • Mongu Chinua, Deputy Court Herald
  • Oliver de Bainbrig, Northpass Brew Master
  • Alaxandair Morda, Youth Champion
  • Duke Akbar
  • Lilie Dubh
  • Friderich Grimme
  • Gibbs Morrys
  • Ophilia of Ostgardr
  • Rosa

Commons Minutes for July 2018

The monthly commons meeting was held July 20 at the workplace of Ervald LaCoudre in Østgarðr proper. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.


Total of 33 people, of whom 6 were remote via video conference.

  • Suuder Saran, Viceroy
  • Lada Monguligin, Vicereine
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal, outgoing Webminister
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
  • Beatrice della Rocca, Chatelaine
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal, Deputy Webminister
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Erich Guter Muth, Minister of Lists
  • Richard the Poor of Ely, outgoing Historian, Deputy Exchequer
  • Esnede O Murrin, Northpass Seneschal
  • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
  • Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal — by video conference
  • Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal
  • Apollodora of Delphi, Deputy Chatelaine, Deputy MoAS
  • Mongu Chinua, Deputy Court Herald
  • Brekke Franksdottir
  • Arnora Ketilsdottir
  • Iola Wulfsdotter
  • Rosa
  • Catelin Straquhin
  • Francisco de Braga
  • Anne of Østgarðr
  • Thorfinn Hróðgeirsson
  • Rakkurai of Kamakura
  • Reuben the Curious
  • Aurelia di Giovanni Bedici
  • Lilie Dubh inghean uí Mórdha — by video conference
  • Friderich Grimme — by video conference
  • Lissa — by video conference
  • Marion of York — by video conference
  • Wilhelm Larsson — by video conference

Commons Minutes for June 2018

The June commons meeting was held June 15 at the home of Apollodora and Francisco in Northpass. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.


Total of 29 people, of whom 6 were remote via video conference.

  • Suuder Saran, Viceroy — by video conference in transit and then in person
  • Lada Monguligin, Vicereine — by video conference in transit and then in person
  • Brennan mac Fearghus, King of the East — by video conference
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal, Webminister
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal, Deputy Webminister
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Rufina Cambrensis, Chronicler — by video conference
  • John Elys, Deputy Chronicler — by video conference
  • Richard the Poor of Ely, Historian, Deputy Exchequer
  • Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal — by video conference
  • Apollodora of Delphi, Deputy Chatelaine, Deputy MoAS
  • Buenaventura Miguel Rivera de ponte roto, Northpass Exchequer
  • Wilhelm Larsson, Northpass Webminister
  • Grettir Bjarnylr, Northpass Chamberlain
  • Francisco Duraes, Brokenbridge Chronicler
  • Alissa
  • Donnchadh mac Eóin — by video conference
  • Friderich Grimme — by video conference
  • Gibbes Morrys
  • Jacqueline Loisel
  • Lilie Dubh inghean uí Mórdha
  • Luigi Vascili
  • Thomas of Northpass
  • Aurora ffolkes
  • Vladimir
  • Zillah

Commons Minutes for April 2018

The April commons meeting was held April 20 at the home of Arnora and Ragnarr in Brokenbridge. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.


  • Suuder Saran, Viceroy
  • Lada Monguligin, Vicereine
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal, Webminister
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal, Deputy Webminister
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal — Late arrival
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Rufina Cambrensis, Chronicler
  • Wilhelm Larsson, Northpass Seneschal
  • Brekke Franksdottir, Lions End Seneschal
  • Apollodora of Delphi, Deputy Chatelaine, Deputy MoAS
  • Arnora Ketilsdottir, Brokenbridge Exchequer
  • Ragnarr Bliskegg, Brokenbridge Herald
  • Buenaventura Miguel Rivera de ponte roto, Northpass Exchequer
  • Francisco de Braga, Northpass Chatelaine and Brokenbridge Chronicler
  • Marion of York, Lions End Lieutenant of Fence

Commons Minutes for March 2018

The March commons meeting was held March 16 at the home of Wilhelm and Conandil in Northpass. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.


  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal, Webminister
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
  • Beatrice della Rocca, Chatelaine
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Combat, Deputy Webminister
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Richard the Poor of Ely, Historian, Deputy Exchequer
  • Wilhelm Larsson, Northpass Seneschal
  • Brekke Franksdottir, Lions End Seneschal
  • Seònaid inghean Mhic Aoidh, Deputy Chatelaine, Deputy Book Herald
  • John Elys, Deputy Chronicler
  • Conandil, Northpass Minister of Arts & Science, Northpass Chronicler
  • Apollodora of Delphi, Brokenbridge Minister of Arts & Science, Brokenbridge Webminister, Northpass Chamberlain, Northpass Deputy Minister of Arts & Science
  • Marion of York, Lions End Lieutenant of Fence
  • Francisco de Braga, Northpass Chatelaine, Brokenbridge Chronicler
  • Oliver De Bainbrig, Northpass Constable, Northpass Brew Master
  • Ben of Brokenbridge
  • Christiana Sunshine
  • Cameron Sunshine
  • Suuder Saran, Viceroy — Delayed upon the road
  • Lada Monguligin, Vicereine — Likewise

Commons Minutes for February 2018

The February commons meeting was held February 16 at the workplace of Ervald LaCoudre in Ostgardr. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.


  • Suuder Saran, Viceroy
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Combat, Deputy Webminister
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Richard the Poor of Ely, Historian, Deputy Exchequer
  • Wilhelm Larsson, Northpass Seneschal
  • Brekke Franksdottir, Lions End Seneschal
  • Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal
  • Jacqueline
  • Thorfinnr Hrothgeirsson, Whyt Whey Deputy MoAS
  • Arnora Ketilsdottir, Brokenbridge Exchequer
  • Marion of York, Lions End Lieutenant of Fence
  • Ozurr the Bootgiver, Armored Combat Champion

Commons Minutes for January 2018

The January commons meeting was held January 19 in Whyt Whey at the home of the seneschal’s father in law. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers reports are attached at the end.


  • Suuder Saran, Viceroy
  • Lada Monguligin, Vicereine
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal, Webminister
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
  • Beatrice della Rocca, Chatelaine
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Combat, Deputy Webminister
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Knight Marshal
  • Erich Guter Muth, Minister of Lists
  • Rufina Cambrensis, Chronicler
  • John Elys, Deputy Chronicler
  • Richard the Poor of Ely, Historian, Deputy Exchequer
  • Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa, Deputy Historian
  • Wilhelm Larsson, Northpass Seneschal
  • Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal
  • Philip White, East Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences
  • Adam Trent
  • Simon Talbot
  • Branimira of the Isles
  • Seonaid inghean Mhic Aoidh

Commons minutes October 2017

Minutes Østgarðr Commons meeting October 20, 2017
Transcribed by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

Roll Call

• Branimira of the Isles, Hostess
• Suuder Saran, Viceroy
• Lada Monguligin, Vicereine
• Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa, called Bish, Seneschal
• Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
• Katherine Gilliesfleur, Deputy Chamberlain
• Brekke Franksdottir, Lions End Seneschal
• Rufina Cambrensis, Chronicler
• John Elys, Deputy Chronicler
• Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Deputy
• Richard the Poor of Ely, Historian
• Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
• Alienor Salton, Whyt Whey Seneschal, Acting Webminister
• Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Youth Combat Marshal

# Absent Officers

• Mongu Chinua, Herald (preparing Goat’s Tavern site; report submitted)
• Beatrice della Rocca, Chatelaine (on vacation; report submitted)
• Wilhelm of Northpass, Northpass Seneschal (preparing Goat’s Tavern site; report submitted)
• Marion of York, Fencing (power outage; nothing to report)
• Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences (on expedition to Drachenwald)
• Ervald LaCoudre, Knight Marshal (on expedition to Drachenwald)
• Erich Guter Muth, Minister of Lists (on vacation)
• Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery
• Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal


The meeting was called to order at 8:01.

Officers Reports

# Bish, Seneschal
• Northpass has a new seneschal, Wilhelm. He is interested in recruiting a replacement.
• Northpass asked if a person who lives outside the canton can serve as seneschal. EK law (as confirmed by EK seneschal) says it is allowed if their canton bylaws specifically allow it.
• Oliver is willing to serve, but lives in a part of the province that is just outside border of the canton.
• Oral history suggests that Whyt Whey used to have such a provision as part of its bylaws, but that it was later removed.

# Lada, Vicereine
• Important to note that, if planning an event, please check to avoid conflict with neighbors. Use the seneschals’ list to ensure that you find events that weren’t listed on the EK calendar yet.

# Bish, Seneschal
• From EK, edict from Queen, Mord has been banished from the royal presence for the remainder of the term.
• Ian: 91 knights and masters submitted petition requesting court of chivalry, to banish from the kingdom for the remainder of the term.

# Rufina, Chronicler
• Seahorse is out. Encourage people to subscribe. It’s free and makes a tasty snack.
• Question: Would you consider moving the Seahorse mailing list to the EK server? This would simplify subscription process, and would mean that other people would be able to send the Seahorse if you were unavailable.
• Rufina: Prefer to keep current process as avoids issues with EK server downtime.
• John: Sending mechanism is via Panix command line. Agree that we should have that process documented, backed up somewhere.
• Question: Can we post issues of the Seahorse to the provincial web site?
• Rufina: Yes, this is possible; wasn’t done in recent years but have no objection to doing so in the future.

# Angelica, Exchequer.
• We have money, about the same amount as last time.
• Process for PayPal setup is underway, awaiting signoff from Lada, which is forthcoming.
• Once completed, PayPal can be enabled on an individual event basis, which means that people could pay for their reservations to that event by PayPal or credit card.
• Paypal does take a few percentage points as a fee, but the convenience makes it worth the overhead for some people.
• Some confusion about whether this would impact process for accepting checks, but no changes to that side of things at this time.

# Mathghamhain, YC
• Demos at Queens Farm and Cloisters were well received.
• We’ll have a small meet at Goat’s tomorrow.
• Efforts to hold local practice in Central Park have been stymied by scheduling difficulties; recent Wednesday and Saturday proposals were swamped by conflicts with after-school activities, sports teams, and high-school admissions craziness. Will keep trying.

# Alienor, Whyt Whey
• Seventy three(!) volunteers, many from other land groups, assisted at our Cloisters demo at Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival at the beginning of the month. Extremely successful outreach & engagement.
• We had a weaving workshop as our A&S activity this month, complete with celebrity weaving visitor from An Dubh. 🙂 Very informative. Many thanks to Lady Angelica for teaching this class.
• Our Schola in the Solar is next week. We still have room for attendees! We are offering 11 classes for a range of experience from novice to proficient, please check them out on our website:

# Alienor, Acting Webminister
• Recently streamlined the web site.
• New Google inquiry form, 14 submissions.
• Document library will be made public on site soon.
• Bish: could we add links to office-specific forms like heralds’ quarterly reports?
• John: In addition to EK law we used to have a link to SCA corpora here.
• Alienor: (post-meeting addition) I forgot to mention the novice’s mailing list,, managed by our Chatelaine, to which the newest inquirers from Cloisters & Queens Farm demos have been added.

# Brekke, Lions End
• Working on a demo in Farmingdale on June 2nd (raindate June 9th).
• Lions in Spring, our local bardic competition and arts schola, scheduled for fourth weekend in April.
• Trying to make this an annual event.

# Katherine, Deputy Chamberlain
• Green and white is out, will be returned soon.
• Alienor: We need to arrange to return this from our storage unit. Will follow up with Ian via email to find a time, maybe after next week, when Math or Alax can assist with the unloading.
• Katherine: Feast gear is still out, maybe have it brought back this winter?
• Ian: Maybe leave it in Northpass because that’s where it is most often used?
• Katherine: Fine to leave it there if we get an updated inventory.
• Bish: were new knives purchased?
• Ian: expense was authorized.
• Angelica: check was written.
• Bish: Presumably that means they’ve been purchased and are in collection in Northpass.
• Katherine: We should get the inventory updated to be sure.

# Richard, Historian
• Is it true that at An Dubh investiture, Sofya received a Maunche and was made a Laurel, both on the very same day?
• All: yes, it may seem crazy, but it’s true. Also was apprenticed and then released from apprenticeship.
• Richard is assisting several people who are investigating history for 50th.
• Annals are being shared now and plan is to print a nicely formatted copy for 50th.
• Lada: We could have scribes write it out. Maybe Alienor could work with other scribes to letter the whole thing?
• Richard: there’s a type of historical document called a canon table; we could do one of those for each of the various championships, each order, etc.
• Lada: there is a Seadog scroll which we need to update with recent recipients.

# Alec, fencing
• Have been holding practices in Central Park. Attendance last month has only been 2-4 people.
• Investigating an indoor space for use over the winter
• New Facebook page under construction for local fencing efforts named “HART”
• Several people: make sure you avoid confusion with the Hart of the Kingdom of Acre

# Chinua, herald, reported by proxy
• There was a court at Cloisters. New champions were selected. No precedence-creating awards given out.

# Wilhelm, Northpass, reported by email
• My apologies that I could not be able to attend in person but I am onsite helping to prepare for Goat`s Tavern. First, I look forward to seeing many or most of you there. If any of you are not yet decided on your attendance, you should consider the many classes, the great company, and the joy of gathering at the Blue Mountain lodge. It should be excellent.
• We completed another Barleycorn (John Barleycorn Silver Celebration) and appreciate greatly Lady Aurora ffolkes for her running of the event. We love the site and have happily run the event for either at least a quarter century and appreciate the support that Northpass has received from Greater Ostgardr and beyond. It is a very large endeavor and we will be beginning to plan for next year soon. There is a few remaining reporting items that have yet to be in final form as of this writing but all is in order.
• The other item of note is some officers have changed in the last few months. Firstly, Lord Thomas has stepped down, effective immediately after announcement at our last Northpass commons. The Cantonal Knight Marshal position is also newly declared open. So, as drop dead I am newly re-minted to be the Seneschal. I do not expect a long term though and my goal is to get deputies and seek one of them to take the post as soon as he /she is ready and willing.
• We have a very long list to things that are in process so we expect to have much to report going forward.

# Beatrice, chatelaine, reported by email
• We have had a great last month, with some really wonderful demos. Cloisters, by Whyt Whey was tremendously successful, with larger numbers than we had last year, from all reports. The weather was beautiful, and everyone had a great time. We also had Queens Farm demo, which was my first time there. Despite some unfortunate circumstances on my part, a good time was had by all. I think it’s a demo with a great deal of potential, and I’m looking forward to working with the autocrat to make it even better next year.
• All told, we had 86 potential newcomers sign up for more information. They have been added to a new mailing list, and information sent to them.
• Gold Key is still in good condition and all accounted for. A tub will be sent up to Goat’s Tavern this weekend, with Lady Angelica di Nova Lipa, my new deputy. Many thanks to the folks who reached out and asked for it.

Officer Elections

# Bish
• Several people have put in for officers positions.
• Lada: if you don’t have a deputy, publicize that you are looking for recruits.
• Bish: Open offices are seneschal, herald, webminister, fencing, chronicler,
• Alienor: Why is Exchequer not up for replacement, given that she has served for two years?
• Several people: Because it’s in the bylaws that Seneschal and Exchequer should not change hands at the same time because they are key members of the provincial finance committee.
• Others: We’ve reviewed the bylaws and they don’t mention this issue.
• John: There is a Policy and Procedure Manual, the PPM, which contains additional rules that aren’t in the bylaws. Some processes were recorded in this separate document to make it easier to change them without the overhead of changing the bylaws.
• Mathghamhain: I’ve never heard of this document and it does not appear to be available online.
• Lada: Would the current exchequer like to step down?
• Angelica: yes, as family obligations mean that sometimes I am out of town for several months which makes it hard to fulfill the duties of the office.
• Several people: Richard is the emergency deputy exchequer; perhaps he could be convinced to serve for one year and then seek new candidates in the next year’s election cycle.
• Richard: let me think about it overnight.
• Mathghamhain: we should put out a call for volunteers to either take on this role or serve as deputy.

Future events:

# Vika & Thorfinn, submitted by email
• Thorfinn and Vika intend to run Picnic in the Ruins again, at the same site. We will submit our proposal to the parks department in early November when proposals open up, and will request the last weekend in April, and failing that, the first Sunday of May. We won’t know whether we have the site for several months, and will update the officers when we find out.
• Several people: Need to resolve conflict with Lions in Spring
• Alienor: (post-meeting addition) Thorfinn and Vika have been informed and will select a non-conflicting date.

# Lada
• Deck the Halls of Valhalla, Jan 13, same plan as last year

# Lada
• K&Q bardic in Feb
• Have volunteers, could use more general assistance
• Would like to find a volunteer for royal liaison, although maybe royals will provide one from their end. Volunteer needs to be available for the full day, interested in playing this type of role, and able to go up & downstairs with ease.
• Was investigating hotel block, $125/night for nearby hotel. Regular rate is $160.
• Question about whether we should sign this contract as it requires that we’re on the hook if the event is cancelled.
• Need to decide this in next few weeks.
• Angelica: let’s check rates via alternate booking mechanism, and check the wording of contract.
• Lada and Angelica will discuss, and are empowered to make this decision as they see fit.
• Bish: would welcome the input of anyone who is running for next term of seneschal.

# Rufina:
• Musicians’ Day is usually in November, not happening this year due to site issues, but maybe next year.
• Also, unrelated, Alexandre and Eularia are in Finland for Drachenwald crown tourney.

# Katherine:
• Queens Farm about to go into quiet period for the winter, we could approach them to use their education building for events.
• They have a big space that could be used for a large A&S event, tent painting project, or other craft event that needs space.

Other Business

# Lada:
• Bylaws committee, want to meet at our place sometime soon? Propose Nov 12.
• Committee members will discuss and confirm.
• Alienor: do you want a mailing list for the committee?
• Lada: yes.

# Bish:
• Any updates on the regalia committee?
• Lada: No recent changes. There are a couple of design ideas in circulation. We’ll present those after we have a chance to talk w. Sofya.

Upcoming Meetings

• Nov 17: at Chinua’s in Staten Island

• Dec 15: at John and Rufina’s in Richmond Hill

• Jan 19: at Alienor’s in Manhattan

• Bish: thanks to Branimira for hosting tonight’s meeting here at her home.
• All: Enthusiastically seconded.


• Richard: Motion to adjourn, 9:12
• Many people: seconded

Commons minutes June 2017

Transcribed by Alienor Salton


Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa, aka Bish
Luigi Kapaj
Brekke Franksdottir
Ervald La Coudre the Unlucky
Sofya Gianetta di Trieste
Branimira of the Isles
Marion of York
Arnbjorg Karlsdóttir
Duggmore Dougles
Jacqueline Helene Loisel
Ian of Clan Mitchell
Katherine Gilliesfleur
Erich Guter Muth
Beatrice della Rocca
Thomas of Northpass
Alienor Salton
Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
Lada Monguligin
Suuder Saran

8:02pm — called to order

Bish: Seneschal’s report: Nordenfjord, sponsored by us, is under suspension. Bish spotted the issue in Pikestaff. Nordenfjord didn’t know about it. Bish got in touch with central region seneschal, who said they hadn’t received reports since 2015. Aethelstan has been in the hospital. Deputy seneschal is Erlandr. Today Bish got email from central region seneschal — no reports received since Sept. 2015. Suggestion from Ian: check with southern region seneschal. Also check personal / old email addresses that were used. Bish asked why are they still incipient? Answer: Up-to-date reports for a full year are needed. They are doing everything else.


Thomas of Northpass: Blood & Axes went well. 54 people. Would like to make it bigger. $200 site fee; broke even. Could seat 150 people at picnic benches under cover & bring in a field kitchen. Vendors have to register w/ putnam county & pay taxes & fee. Site is spacious; needs to be used. Ask for site at beginning of year because the Westchester county parks schedule fills up when it opens. NO alcohol. There was tons of room for each activity: fighting, fencing, thrown weapons, youth combat, archery.

Canton-wise: Northpass is gearing up for barleycorn. Still need to change NY, NY on the event announcement to North Salem, NY, to adjust expectations. Looking for a head feastocrat. Menu planning is under way. They are talking w/ Duchess Isabella about recruiting someone, perhaps from outside the province. [move to upcoming]

Northpass has $$, people are reporting on time.

Alienor, Deputy webminister:

1. Alienor is now officially deputy webminister & now acting webminister as Arnora is on maternity leave.
2. Minor cleanups to; input welcomed on additional content / updates. Please let her know if you are having any difficulty with your EK email. [Marion of York requested assistance.] 3. Bish asked about the mailing list issue; it was resolved as per facebook comments.

Alienor, Whyt Whey seneschal:

1. Visit to McAlpin Hall did not pan out: inaccessible. Trying Cafe Victoria next. Smaller but large enough for a schola and accessible. Have additional leads such as Holy Trinity Church in Inwood. Our exchequer is checking EK policy to see if there is anything to prohibit us signing a contract for a fixed % of the gate. Still aiming for Oct. 28th.

Mathghamhain, youth marshal: lovely time was had at Blood & Axes. The pell was a huge hit, encouraged newcomers. We had half a dozen kids in armor, plus 5 kids who came by to practice w/ the pell.

Brekke, Lions End seneschal: planning to have schola 4th weekend of april next year. Would like this to be an annual event. liked this year’s format; enjoyed having A&S and bardic championships at the same time.

June 2nd they have been asked to do a demo in farmingdale. The rain date is June 9th. A&S centered. Archery is out of the question, but could show how to make arrows. Would love activities for children, including youth combat (pell!!). Lada asks if we can bring the idea to An Dubh, as it is on their border. Brekke says she will talk to Michelle in Hawk’s Reache.

Reports are submitted. Brekke wants to step down at the end of her term, June 2018. She needs someone from lions end to step up.

Ervald, marshal of armored combat: fighter practice tuesday night, McCarren Park!! Thanks to meeting people at Viking Day & new SCA participants coming in, they have half a dozen newbie fighters. Need loaner armor. Bish says the old armor was sold off. Gui & Valgard sold them because there was no room for them when the armory space went away. Chamberlain adds he was not consulted about storage. $$ went to the province; province can use it to buy more. Feasibility & budget requested. Exchequer is not here tonight. Questions: how much $$ was made from the sale? Sofya points out we need to figure out what we need. Beatrice says there was a line item in the budget about making loaner armor — consult with exchequer before proceeding. Luigi suggests we check with Valgard & Gui to see if it was their armor or provincial. Ian wrote a check for dark victory armor. Is what was sold dark victory? Or made by Valgard & Gui? Bish bought blue plastic armor. Dark victory is black plastic. Ian reports it was deliberately ugly to encourage people to get their own more attractive armor. Suuder points out some armor was covered with cloth (those are the sets they built & donated). Thomas suggests we figure out how much armor we need. The $$ is secondary. Erich would like some of the barrels from Blue Mountain that thomas is mentioning. Lada says they talked about it on the way over — first identify need, then identify how much $$ you need. Suuder: promote the idea of setting aside a certain amount of $$ from our coffers to buy new equipment for each fighting division. Get a budget together & you can buy it at Pennsic: save $$ and shop around. Ervald has a preliminary plan for purchases. Sofya suggests we publicize the list for donations. Erich points out people can make armor: Erich, Suuder, Mathghamhain, Alexie have all volunteered. Ian suggests purchasing good munitions grade helms ($150) at pennsic. Mathghamhain suggests also gauntlets. Moved to new business; will return to at end of meeting.

1st report is late because paperwork needs doing regarding Ervald’s authorization. Duke Brennan is coming to McCarren park on Tuesday.

Ervald asks us to say we are coming to fighter practice Facebook invitations so he can continue inviting more people to them.

Does anyone know any fighters who want to fight in the army of Østgarðr this year?

Sofya, MoAS: thank you for making my report to the EK look really impressive. Still working on favors for the queen; she will need a lot for Pennsic. Please keep on doing them. Favors for Østgarðr 50th are in progress. The design is done. After Pennsic & before Barleycorn we will have a sweatshop. We will machine embroider 150+ of them, then will need volunteers to sew & finish. Children’s largesse dragons are being collected; please announce to your canton that additional medieval toys are needed: catapults, puzzles, games, hand puppets… children will present the gifts.

Marion, fencing: practices run by Erich, who reports moved to Central park, going very well. Everyone is coming out to it from everywhere. 1st version of Østgarðr fencing hood is made, punchtested & marshal-approved. Fencing armor will be tested at Potted Arms this weekend. (Erich will be sewn into it.) Fencers who are able to make it to the Central park practice will be brought over to Erich & Beatrice’s to make their own hoods. Thomas will try to replicate in Northpass for those who can’t make it. Marion points out we should budget for masks, which we can’t make ourselves. Small loaner masks from BAT practice were rescued. Erich is storing them. EK marshallate has passed new rules concerning in-mask padding. No padding between metal & face == not legal. Bish donated a mask to fencing at meeting.

Arnbjorg, archery: Lions End starts practice next week at Cedar’s creek around 9am (weather has been sucky). Mongu Chinua has been holding practice on Staten Island; cancelled last week for Riverfest. [side discussion re: acre fair: (re-ignition of sand’s point) — 1500+ people showed up for riverfest; parking for 600 cars. suffolk county requires physical ambulance on site. sunday cancelled due to saturday’s problems.] An Dubh has lost their practice space, will be using Lions End practice for theirs. We are still looking for a thrown weapons practice area, for which we a need big backyard & neighbors who don’t mind. They also do atlatl practice in Lions End. Eanraig the Bonesetter became master bowman.

Katherine, deputy chamberlain: green & white made it to 2 demos. Thanks to Jackie & Luigi for getting it to the Bronx. It weighs a ton. They need more advance warning & assistance to haul it out of storage.

Ian: as far as use of the g&w in coming season — Barleycorn? Thomas says they could probably use it. Queens Farm. Cloisters: will need to pick up from Queens Farm. Ian & Katherine will be in Rome; Alienor & Mathghamhain will store it for 2 weeks. Reminder: the list markers go with the g&w.

Katherine: additional personal property often shared include changing tent, screened tent. Please ask to borrow them! Sofya points out this has come up before, so we need to do a better job of planning. Jackie: having an autocrat in charge of each demo has helped. The list stakes, list ropes, g&w & tent stakes & poles are provincial property. List of needed items: hammer, changing tent, screened tent for food, etc. would be helpful. Thomas points out we need heads of depts. to include lists of staff & equipment needed. Feastocrat needs to recruit volunteers etc. Lada points out that the autocrat’s handbook needs updating, with separate checklist for demos. Ian says Lady Lillie put effort into autocrat’s handbook w/ checklist for demos! Sofya has a copy; will send it to Alienor to put up on website. Sofya suggests an autocrating class. Jackie recommends a checklist for a demo, is opposed to list of people whose personal property is available: suggests we ask on list or facebook, etc., if property is needed. Gold Key is in the chatelaine’s keeping. We need a new (updated) inventory list. Kitchenware is at Wilhelm’s. Add new inventory from fighting departments as it is added. Get archery inventory from Mongu & Arnbjorg.

Ian: we need more list stakes, either wooden or metal. Recommend metal for longevity. Erich (MOL) has new suggested design.

Erich, minister of lists: we have them. Spoke to southern regional mol, working on getting database to run everyone’s auth card & see who is expired. We have some expired marshals — when your auth card has expired, you has no longer a marshal.

Beatrice, chatelaine: bunch of newcomers, yay! There will be a mini-event for new fencers at Erich & Beatrice’s for making fencing armor, which can double as garb. Working on green & white; have fabric for it. Sofya has gold key because Beatrice’s apartment is small. Gold Key is in great shape, w00!

There was no chatelaine at Riverfest. Last-minute drop out by Beatrice due to illness meant no chatelaine’s table. Bish had mentioned making up kits. Beatrice supports this idea. Do we have any demos between now & commons after Pennsic? Eternacon [which we are not attending after all, see later minutes]. Bish passes around business card idea. There is a giant plastic banner somewhere? 6′ long? Sofya has never had it. Let’s put out a call to see who has it. [Ed: it was tossed after it became very worn. Was also out-dated as website has changed.] Lada recommends a box of chatelaine kit that goes in with the g&w to be stored by the chamberlain. Sofya suggests making up a kit on demand to give to the autocrat of each demo/event: signup sheet, clipboard, business cards, pamphlets, banners. Ian points out when everyone is responsible for something, no one does it. Autocrat should be responsible for reaching out. Thomas & Lada suggest putting chatelaine materials online for emergency printing: signup sheet & 3-fold pamphlet for sure. Design critiques for business card from Ervald, Mathghamhain. Katherine suggests it include a space for writing in your own name, as person who has been interacting with the newcomer. Order flat white for writing on.

Bish received reports…

exchequer: we have $$ – savings $7,050.94; checking $6,215.57

Rufina: Musicians day: we have registrar (gate), waiting to hear back from Blue Mountain lodge re: dates.
Rufina, chronicler: nothing to report.

Suuder: Pennsic pre-reg ends tomorrow. if you are not pre-regged we will not have space for you. 40 people registered for Østgarðr so far. (12 last year.) nordenfjord will be camping with us.

We will not be bringing the g&w to Pennsic; will rent something there instead, as that is much easier. We will have a common tent.

Riverfest: we need an autocrat that is going to be there. This year’s autocrat has alerted us that if we want to do it again, we can let her know, but she has no pony in this race. She will be our contact with the group, but not autocrat. (The check is in the mail. $400.) Fencers, thrown weapons showed up. Archery can’t be done there — not safe. Gaming table, some a&s. cooking demo. Jackie suggests seneschal should touch base with autocrats to ensure ball isn’t dropping due to an attack of life. Ian says historically Viceroy & seneschal communicated w/ autocrats of events & demos well beforehand to check on preparation. Suuder agrees. Brekke got the impression that we expected Riverfest to just happen. It ended up a bit underplanned. Was successful with public anyway, yay! Sofya would like to autocrat Riverfest in future. Richard the Poor got a lot of kids playing board games, says Suuder.

Suuder: Saturday, Suuder was assaulted by his majesty while attending someone’s vigil. Full-on ass slap. “Greetings, your excellency!” “Thank you, your majesty!?” Do we respond? “Where on this effigy did the knight touch you?” asks Lada. Talk to Suuder later with suggestions. Jackie asks if we can make up a butt and present it to his majesty in court.

Lada: submitted bid to host kings & queens A&S & bardic. Have not heard back yet, maybe in july. feb. 10th & 17th are the proferred date options.

Runymede Dinner at Pennsic is a potluck. Lada requests any brewers with a spare bottle to contribute it to Østgarðr’s contribution to this dinner.

Goats tavern: upcoming.

Musicians day: [see earlier minutes for report]

Queens Farm demo: Ian reports he has called them & said it’s not on their website. They were surprised & fixed it. Sept. 23-24, 11-6. It is unpaid but has lots of contact, very family oriented. Co-autocrat is katherine. Overnight camping is available. They will contact various dept. heads for assistance after Pennsic since it is not until the end of September. Last year, youth combat very well received. People came back sunday for more & were disappointed. Mathghamhain will try to do both days this time (will have to be there 2nd day for picking up g&w anyway). Notes from Queens Farm: “supply hay bales for archery targets, move llamas so they don’t get shot.”

Cloisters demo: nothing new to report [Ed: IT IS NOW A ROYAL PROGRESS EVENT EEP]

Eternacon: needs autocrat if we are going to do it, Ervald cannot because he is running his own thing. Lada & Sofya suggest asking Stephanie, who was enthusiastic about it last year. Richard wants to help with gaming. Bish can do kumihimo braiding. Lada messaged Stephanie on Facebook to gauge interest. Marion asks about martial activities. Ervald says there is a small deck that can be used. Marion asks if it is worth it for fighters to show up — will there be any audience? Upshot: no one is willing to autocrat. July 4th weekend is too close & is booked with alternate events.

Thomas will no longer pencil anyone in to Blue Mountain lodge. You must send them a check directly to book.

By-laws committee: hasn’t met.

Regalia committee: no changes.

Bish: create new committee for purchasing. Ian, Erich, Suuder, Bish.


Sofya: EK 50th is June of next year. We have a spot in the hall, Sofya would like to run it. Offer accepted by universal acclaim. They are using the Wars of the Roses site.

Mathghamhain: documenting history of provincial armory. Error in armorial database for Lions End: wreath color was submitted as black. Database has been updated to say black. Mathghamhain has been updating websites to match that. Canton’s home page has green wreaths. Alienor will get in touch with Arnora to figure out how & take care of it.

Order of the Seahorse is not linked to the seahorse badge. Would like consent of Viceroy, Vicereine & seneschal to tell Yehuda (Blue Tyger Herald) that badge of natural seahorse proper is associated with the Order of the Seahorse. Blue crined or hippocampus is populace badge. Fixes approved. Mathghamhain will alert Yehuda to this effect.

Looking through EK order of precedence — a number of awards given out at provincial courts have not been listed. Quite a significant number are missing or mislabeled. Lada asks what needs to be done to rectify. Mathghamhain would like copies of past provincial court reports, volunteers to flag missing items. Bish will get reports from southern region herald. Brekke points out these go back really far — there are members of orders from when Ian and Katherine were giving out awards that are not listed in the op (Brekke’s seahorse, for instance). Lada: can these things be rectified? Mathghamhain says yes, if we can get the information. We should ask John & Rufina if they have access to old records of the Seahorse (newsletter) where this information is published. Please forward more recent provincial court reports to Mathghamhain. Ervald offers to send Seahorses from 1988 to 1992 to Mathghamhain.

Next meeting canceled, August Jackie & Luigi, Alienor will take September, Jackie & Luigi again in October.

Duggmore suggests post-incident reports from demos & events. Write down what went well and what didn’t work; what was borrowed, who was there, etc. Then next autocrat can review the reports when planning for the next one. Questions: where to store? Katherine suggests we come up with a standard format for reporting. Bish will make up a form & we will vote on it at the next meeting.

Bish thanks everyone for bringing food. Please take leftovers home.

Suuder moved to adjourn. Jackie seconded. Adjourned at 10:49.

Ian: we need to discuss funds for spending on armor at pennsic. Re-opened meeting. We need helms, gauntlets. Bish suggests $500. Finance committee (Bish, Lada, Suuder) agrees. Mathghamhain points out youth combat received a similar amount last year. Bish requests all departments send him a proposed expenditure list.

Re-adjourned at 10:53pm.