May 2019 Minutes • Østgarðr Commons
The May commons meeting was held May 17 in Whyt Whey at their Evening in the Solar location. Here are the minutes as recorded by Alienor Salton. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.
- Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun
- Alienor Salton, Seneschal
- Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya, Chatelaine
- Arnora Ketilsdottir, Chancellor Minor
- Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal
- Rakkurai of Kamakura, Minister of Lists
- Zahra al-Andalusiyya, Chronicler
- Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal
- Bahja al-Azraq
- Jibril al-Ghazal
- Oliver de Bainbrig
- Bruno Bruni
- Catelin Straquhin
- Suuder Saran, Il-Khan
- Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
- Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
- Esnede O Murrin, Northpass Seneschal
- Friderich Grimme
- Donnchadh mac Eoin, Minister of Arts & Sciences
- Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
- Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
- Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
- Anne of Østgarðr, Webminister
- Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Historian
- Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal
- Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
- Called to order at 8pm.
- Seneschal: Vivant to our newest provincial champions, Bardic Champion Catelin Straquhin, and A&S Champion Ragnarr bláskegg!
- Vivat to our warranted Chancellor Minor, Arnora Ketilsdottir!
- Day of the Decameron, Siege of Granada & Return of Lions all went very well. Vivant to our respective event stewards Sofya, Jibril and Uji! Super impressed that we did 3 events on successive weekends.
Officer Report Items For Discussion
- Viking Day demo is tomorrow; please come out. Valgard has volunteered to come out as our armored combat marshal.
- Farmingdale demo (June 8th) is looking for fighters, fencers, artisans and merchants.
- Provincial archery championship will be held at the Feast of John Barleycorn. They need an archery marshal!
- Please submit content for the June e-Horse! Chronicler needs a proofreader and also a print publication method.
- Steampunk Con in Piscataway, June 22-23, medieval combat demo; see Ervald if you are interested in participating.
- Bellmore Street Fair demo — consensus was that no one is particularly enthusiastic about this demo. Lada suggested if they were paying us, we might work up some enthusiasm. Friderich[?] suggested we check in with Lions End to see if anyone there is excited about it. Laila will follow up, however we most likely will not be putting this on our calendar this year.
- Bid on 12th Night, possibly at Mount Kisco Legion Hall, but more likely at a more accessible site — enthusiasm is high. General agreement that 12th Night would be fun. Bid is due June 15th, volunteers to write the bid & be on the event committee include Brandr, Lada, Laila, Mathghamhain, Friderich and Rakkurai. Esnede & Friderich may be interested in cooking.
- Request was submitted that we hold more events on Sundays instead of Saturdays & met with general approval. In particular for day events with no evening feast, please consider Sunday in your event scheduling.
- Also suggested was a Code of conduct for Østgarðr: an extension to the anti harassment policy (socsen.sca.org/the-sca-harrassment-and-bullying-policy/) & an additional governing document to the bylaws, to include language about harassment that isn’t sexual (e.g. misgendering) & to list specific people within our province to contact if there’s an issue, as well as a “best practices” guide since we expect people to be actively nice to each other instead of simply not harassing. Proposal greeted favorably. Catelin will lead a search to find people interested in developing such a code of conduct. Laila offers to liaise with the kingdom level diversity initiative. Esnede is also interested in supporting this action. Alienor recommends the WisCon (wiscon.net/policies/anti-harassment/code-of-conduct/) code of conduct as a source of inspiration.
- Laila asked how to move forward her newcomers gifts idea. Suggestions included talking it up on Facebook, holding workshops to brainstorm & create kits, and an e-Horse article.
- Brandr announced the creation of the EK Blacksmiths guild, which is on track to becoming a royal guild, with a charter, etc.
- Catelin brought up the red ribbons “please do not photograph me” idea circulating on Facebook. Agreement that this is a good plan, although it does not circumvent the model release form, which still applies to portraits (not group shots).
Committees and Projects
- Bylaws Committee — vote delayed until we had a quorum of officers. Esnede asked if this vote was final. Ian pointed out that the original (1998) bylaws were ratified, even though the bylaws committee was unable to find documentation thereof. We therefore voted to confirm the bylaws at the provincial level and Alienor will take the bylaws to the cantons for ratification. Provincial vote was unanimous from all 12 assembled officers plus the 3 proxy votes (Alec, Anne and Vika) submitted prior to the meeting, giving us 15 out of 20 total officers for the 75% vote required by the 1998 bylaws, quoted below. The new bylaws require approval rather than a vote, so, for completeness, Alienor will poll the absent 5 officers (Donnchadh, Ervald, Arnbiorg, Sofya, Uji) for their approval or otherwise. [Ed. — all absent officers approve. Bylaws are approved unanimously by the provincial officers council.]
These rules become binding upon Østgarðr and its Cantons when:
- They have been adopted by a 75% vote of the Ostgardian Officer Council.
- They have been adopted by a 51% vote of each of the Cantons’ Officer Councils. (Defined as those officers who are rostered by their Kingdom Officers. These shall be full officers, not deputies.)
See document appended.
Upcoming Commons Meetings
- To be held in Østgarðr Proper (Queens), at Ervald’s workplace.
- To be held in Brokenbridge, at Brandr’s home.
- To be held in a park to be named later, as a picnic/social.
- To be held in Northpass, at the New Rochelle library.
- Meeting closed at 8:55pm.
May 2019 Reports • Østgarðr Commons
Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin
No report submitted.
Seneschal • Alienor Salton
1. Viking Day demo Saturday. Please come out. We promoted an ad for it, using Facebook ad credit. Targeted NYers 18-65 interested in Middle Ages, Viking Age, History, Vikings or Vikings (TV series). Reached ~2500 people, 66 responded to the event. Ad runs for one more day. [Ed. — ad has now closed. Reached ~2,800, 77 event responses, massively gender-skewed. 58 women, 17 men, 2 unknown.]
2. Officers, PLEASE read the latest version of the bylaws before the meeting, so you can vote informedly.
3. Royal Progress bid deadlines are June 9th (Bardic, A&S, Fencing) & June 15th (Coronation, Crown, 12th Night). In our discussion on the mailing list, 3 people mentioned 12th Night, 2 people suggested the Mt. Kisco Legion Hall. Shall we form a bid committee and go for it?
4. Bardic circle has resumed? [Ed. — Alec MacLachlan reports 2 people showed up for bardic circle on Wednesday, yay!]
Exchequer • Francisco de Braga
The Capital One Bank account remains open at this time. We are still pursuing closing this account and transferring money to TD Bank.
- Reimbursement checks associated with the QHS have been issued. One check requires a second signature but should be signed at commons.
- The Final request for reimbursement for 2019 – Valhalla was submitted this past week and is being processed. Once complete this should close open items for this Event.
- Day at the Decameron Reporting is nearly complete. We are waiting for the remaining reimbursement requests to be submitted. A NMS check will be sent out this weekend.
- The Siege of Granada was held this past weekend and reports are being generated. Requests for Reimbursement have been submitted and are being reviewed. I hope to process them next week and issue checks accordingly.
- A 2020 Valhalla date is being considered by Brokenbridge and once confirmed, a site reservation check will need to be issued.
Total Funds at this time (Excluding previously issued checks which have not cleared as of today) are as follows:
- Total Between both Accounts – $16,187.30
- Dedicated Østgarðr Funds – $11,290.73
- Dedicated Brokenbridge Fund – $3643.56
- Dedicated Nordenfjord Fund – $1,253.00
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Chatelaine • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya
I have nothing new to report, but at the meeting on Friday we should discuss the Bellmore Street Fair Demo and decide whether it’s worthwhile. I have heard opinions for and against.
[Ed. — Alec MacLachlan asks if we know where we’re going to be — close to everything or stuck out on the edges?]
Chancellor Minor • Arnora Ketilsdottir
I have cleared the background check and am now legally allowed to be around children.
Will start reaching out to people running local events in order to set up kid friendly spaces shortly.
Arts & Sciences • Donnchadh mac Eoin
Nothing new to report, but that’s mostly because I have been busy with a (thankfully temporary) move to the East Kingdom Observation and Listening Post in Aethelmearc and its resulting long commute.
[Ed. — new provincial bardic & A&S champions Catelin Straquhin and Ragnarr bláskegg, vivant!]
Herald • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
Provincial court was held at Lions Return and Siege of Grenada; the necessary court report has been filed and provincial records have been updated.
Several of the emerging new heralds in the province have stepped forward to assist with consultations — if you haven’t yet gotten around to registering your name and armory, now’s a great time: get in touch with me and I’ll partner with one of them to help you get everything done.
Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre
Fighter practice is going well. The new fighters are progressing nicely and should be authorized in time for Pennsic.
We have our second suit of armor and I need to send the invoice to the exchequer.
Nancy Wall has contributed her old suit of armor as loaner gear. I have not the space to keep it, and wonder if there is a loyal Ostgardrian who could take care of it and bring it to fighter practice or arrange for it to be sent on occasion.
Fighter practice is on Tuesday nights from 7-10 PM is McCarren Park in Brooklyn, near the Driggs Ave & Union Ave entrance. Participation costs nothing, non-fighters welcome, and loaner armor is available.
There is a Steampunk Convention called “Steampunk Con” at the Radisson Hotel Piscataway on the weekend of June 22-23 that would love to host a demo of medieval combat. I am reaching out to the seneschal of Settmour Swamp, as that is in their territory, but if any Ostgardians interested in participating, please get in touch with me.
For fighters looking to authorize and prep for Pennsic, please consider the following events:
- May 24-27, War of the Roses, Concordia of the Snows – Schaghticoke, NY
- June 7-9, Southern Region War Camp IX, Carillion – Manalapan, NJ
- July 20, Novice Day, Rusted Woodlands – Tappan, NY
Fencing • Alec MacLachlan
Fencing practice started up again as of April 17th in Central Park. Usually we get 3-4 people in total there. (We had 6 last week.) [Ed. — New person came to fencing practice on Wednesday; Alec will forward her info to the Chatelaine.]
We have 2 loaner masks which are being used. I’ll be ordering some more stuff soon.
There will be Fencing at the Viking Day Demo and the Farmingdale Demo on 6/8.
Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir
I will be starting archery next Sunday. Hopefully it will not be raining.
Waiting to hear what’s going on in Staten Island and Northpass will let you know as soon as I find out.
I will post the practice.
From the Archery Champion • Catelin Straquhin
Hear ye, populace of the Crown Province of Østgarðr!
As we come ever closer to the changing of season so must we, your provincial champions, also make way for change. As your archery champion, I hereby announce this year’s tournament to decide the next provincial champion.
This year we will be hosting the provincial archery championship at The Feast of John Barleycorn. The theme will be “An Archer’s Coming of Age”. With the aid of Lord Friderich Grimme and Lord Francisco de Braga, we anticipate this year’s tournament to be a great one.
I implore all Archers of the populace, regardless of skill, to participate in this year’s tournament. For those who are not of the province we also encourage you to participate so that we may recognize the best Archer from far off lands.
Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
We had a pleasant day at the Viking Fest demo, with a bunch of kids taking a turn at the pell, and five kids armoring up — our own Alaxandair, plus a child of Acre and three newcomers.
Minister of Lists • Rakkurai of Kamakura
Nothing to report.
Webminister • Anne of Østgarðr
Set up Historian on our WordPress site so now history can happen on the website shortly after it happens in real life. Other website matters continue as well.
Chronicler • Zahra al-Andalusiyya
Get ye hype—it’s almost time for the second issue of the E-Horse! Now officially soliciting content: photos (please submit with a signed photographer/photographee release form, if possible), Arts & Schola, Shoutouts, and especially especially items for the Vyllage Square (this means whatever you want…just interesting little tidbits, something new you learned, a cool poem you found, an idea for shenanigans…whatever you got!!). Publication date is June 1. Would anyone like to volunteer to be a proofreader?
Still looking for ways to publish by paper, and also ways to streamline photo release process. I know we have a shared folder set up, which is helpful.
Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell
No report submitted.
Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste
May has been a busy month in the East Kingdom and Crown Province,of Ostgardr.
On May 4th in the Shire of Caer Adamant, Sir Luis de Castilla defeated Sir Arne in the finals, winning to become Prince of the East and his consort, Lady Margarita de Siena, Princess. Vivant!
May not only brought blooming flowers but two new Ostgardr Bardic and A&S champions as well.
May 4th, Return of the Lions, hosted by the Canton of Lions End: Bardic Champion: Catelin Strquhin! Vivat!
May 11th, Siege of Granada, Crown Province of Ostgardr: A&S Champion: Lord Raggnar Bliskegg. Vivant to our new champions!
I will be posting a detailed report on the Provincial website.
Whyt Whey • Vika Grigina z Prahy
May Solar was on the sweets of al’Andalus.
June Solar will be scrimshaw (ivory carving).
July Commons date change! It will be pushed back to July 11.
Northpass • Esnede O Murrin
Northpass is busy preparing for Blood and Axes 3 which looks to be a Great event!
We are looking at the possibility of doing a few demos in the next year.
We also would like to get some fighting started in Northpass both heavy and rapier.
Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi
Return of the Lions was a success and we turned a profit, despite being up against Crown tournament.
Our Farmingdale demo is coming up on June 8th. We have marshals for both heavy weapons and rapier combat. We are still looking for fighters, fencers, and artisans to come and show their stuff. SCA merchants are also welcome.
Archery should be starting up in Wantagh In about a week.
Brokenbridge • Brandr Aronsson
Things are beginning to get busy here in Broken Bridge. We are proud to have both the Østgarðr Arts and Science champion as well as the Østgarðr Bardic champion from Broken Bridge.
Our May commons meeting had folks making bread under the expert tutelage of Randve Litil Hamar. Much dough was raised…..
June’s commons meeting on 6/23 will be our Pennsic question and answer day.
May 18th is Viking Demo day and I believe we still need more volunteers.
Bylaws Comittee • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadhain
I asked the Kingdom Seneschal to review the last draft of the new bylaws and she did a close reading, flagging a number of minor wording issues and possible ambiguities. These have been addressed in the most recent version, as have been a number of comments from other members of the populace.
While I’m sure that every document has room for further improvement, I think what we have now is ready for ratification, and will provide a solid basis for our ongoing activities which may be amended in the future as needed.
Spring Coronation • April 6 • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
All necessary reports have been filed and the final reimbursements and refund checks are being settled.
There were 372 attendees (not counting young children), which is about what we expected, and all 150 feast seats were sold, so revenue came in close to our estimates.
We went over budget by about a thousand dollars, primarily due to expenses related to the site — it turned out that many of the chairs they had in storage were either broken or too badly stained to be used, so $450 was spent on renting additional chairs for the day, and a similar amount was spent on cleaning supplies to render the site presentable and usable for the event.
A decision was made to absorb those cost overruns on the local level, so a check was sent to the Kingdom for just over $1,000, and An Dubhaigeainn and Ostgardr will split the net profit of just over $100.
I’ve written up notes about running the event — both things that went well and things we might do differently in the future — and would be glad to share them with anyone putting together an event bid in the future.
Pennsic Encampment • July 27–August 10 • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
No news since last month. Send in your pre-registrations! Email me if you have any questions!
And if you’re planning on camping with us, email me to let me know, or join the Facebook group to stay in the loop: facebook.com/groups/414618855387861
Østgarðr Event Planning
Date: May 18
Location: Owl’s Head Park
Focus activity(s): fencing, armored combat, youth combat, A&S
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3522
Event Steward: Lada
Settmour Swamp: Quest for Wit and Wisdom (Pittstown, NJ, 1 hour W)
Date: May 24-27
Activities: quest (scavenger hunt, obstacle course, mystery adventure), baronial championships, brewing competition, bardic circle, artisan’s row
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3489
Concordia of the Snows: War of the Roses (Schaghticoke, NY, 3 hrs. N)
Date: May 24-27
Activities: armored combat (good time to authorize for Pennsic), fencing, thrown weapons, archery, A&S, bardic, brewing, youth quests
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3482
Host: Lions End
Date: June 8
Location: Farmingdale Village Green
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3507
Event Steward: Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi
Brooklyn Pride Demo
Date: June 8
Event Steward: Apollodora of Delphi
Carillion: Southern Region War Camp IX (Manalapan NJ, 1 hour SW)
Date: June 7-9
Activities: all martial activities (good place to authorize for Pennsic), combat archery, equestrian, K&Q Thrown Weapons Champ., A&S classes, open mic bardic
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3423
Glenn Linn: Girl Scout Faire / Medieval Magic (Greenwich NY, 3 hours N)
Date: June 7-9
Site Link: https://girlscoutsneny.org/GSNENY/Programs/Faire/Girl_Scout_Faire.aspx
Beyond the Mountain: K&Q Archery Championships (New Britain CT, 2 hrs NE)
Date: June 15
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3419
An Dubh: Potted Arms (Huntington, 1 hour E)
Date: June 15
Activities: baronial fencing championship
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3508
Ansteorra: KW Dance & Music Symposium (College Station, TX, 25 hrs SW)
Date: June 13-16
Activities: multiple tracks of classes to accommodate all levels of skill for European and Middle Eastern dance and music
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3475
Meridies: KW Costume & Fiber Arts Symposium (Carrollton, GA, 14 hrs SW)
Date: June 21-23
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3476
Blood & Axes the Third
Host: Canton of Northpass
Date: June 29
Location: Putnam County Veteran Memorial Park
Focus activity(s): armored combat, fencing, thrown weapons, archery, youth combat
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3488
Event Steward: Wilhelm Larrson
Glenn Linn: Great Northern Thyng (Greenwich NY, 3 hours N)
Date: July 5-8
Activities: melees, tournaments
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3446
Calontir: KW Heraldic & Scribal (Urbandale, IA, 17 hrs. W)
Date: July 5-7
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3502
Rusted Woodlands: EK Novice Day (Tappan NY, 30 min. N)
Date: July 20
Activities: good place to authorize for Pennsic
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3455
Æthelmarc: Pennsic (Coopers Lake PA, 6 hours W)
Date: July 26 – August 11
Activities: Peace, War
Anglespur: Harper’s Retreat (Richmond, NH, 4.5 hrs. N)
Date: Aug. 30 – Sept. 2
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3465
Middle: KW Cooks & Bards (Wood River, IL, 15 hrs. W)
Date: Aug. 29 – Sept. 2
Activities: camping, classes
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3477
Atlantia: KW Ag. & Forestry (Booneville, NC, 9.5 hrs. SW)
Date: Aug. 30 – Sept. 2
Activities: classes & exhibits on period agriculture, land use, livestock.
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3478
The Feast Of John Barleycorn
Date: Sept. 6-8
Location: Camp Morty, North Salem
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3487
Event Steward: Wilhelm Larrson
Settmour Swamp: Ducal Challenge (Pittstown, NJ, 1.5 hrs. W)
Date: Sept. 7
Activities: armored combat, rapier, A&S prizes
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3496
Bellmore Street Festival
Date: Sept. 21-22
Concordia of the Snows: Keepers of the Central Flame II (Scotia, NY, 3 hrs. N)
Date: Sept. 21
Activities: artisans (textile, culinary, costuming, research, scribal, smithing, science, etc.), A&S triathlon
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3503
Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival
Host: Whyt Whey
Date: Sept. 29
Location: Fort Tryon Park
Carillion: Ghosts, Ghouls & Goblins (Manalapan, NJ, 2 hrs. S)
Date: Oct. 11-13
Activities: archery shoot, baronial championships
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3517
Iron Bog: River War X (Mullica Hill, NJ, 2.5 hrs. S)
Date: Oct. 18-20
Activities: war games between Iron Bog & Bhakail
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3511
Dragonship Haven: St. Eligius (Location TBD)
Date: Nov. 16
Activities: A&S competition
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3512
Rusted Woodlands: 100 Minutes War (Sparta NJ, 1 hour W)
Date: Nov 23
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3454
Beyond the Mountain: Yule (New Britain, CT, 2.5 hrs. NE)
Date: Dec. 7
Activities: feasting, music, dancing, games
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3437
Date: Jan 4
Deck the Halls of Valhalla
Date: Jan 11
Location: Old Stone House, 336 3rd St, Brooklyn
Beyond the Mountain: Artifacts of a Life IV (New Britain, CT, 2.5 hrs. NE)
Date: Feb. 8
Activities: A&S challenge
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3433
Date: March 7-8
Location: Blue Mountain Lodge, Peekskill, NY
Focus activity(s): adult-activities
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3518
Event Steward: Oliver deBainbrig
Fight for a Cause
Location: Staten Island- Christ Church of New Brighton
Focus activity(s): rattan fighting and pageantry
Event Steward: co-stewarding of two locals names TBD
An Dubh Challenge