- Dec. 19, 2008: Tonight’s Østgarðr Commons has been postponed to Saturday, Dec. 20, due to weather.
- Feb. 11, 2007: Sir Patri du Chat Gris, OL, OP, ETC, well known as a student and teacher of historical dance, as well as long-time Baron of Carolingia, passed away after a long battle with liver cancer.
- Jan. 17, 2007: Two one-page publicity flyers have been posted for downloading and handing out: a plain, black-and-white version and a version with the Ostgardr arms as a colored “watermark”.
- Jan. 6, 2007: Their Excellencies’ monthly missives to the populace, Sententiæ Viceregalis, are now on the Web.
June 28, 2006: Their Majesties announced the results of the Viceregal Succession Poll: Alexandre and Eularia will be the next Viceroy and Vicereine of Østgarðr, to be invested at Barleycorn on September 9.
Vivant! to the new Viceregency. Vivant! to the outgoing Viceregency, taking a well-deserved retirement from the position after c. 25 years. Vivant! to the other candidates, Andrea MacIntyre, Renier Verplanck, and Aurora ffolks; all the candidates ran courteous, thoughtful campaigns and brought good ideas to our attention.
- March 26, 2006: A series of “Meet the Candidate” nights has been scheduled for various evenings in March and April, in various locations around Østgarðr. Citizens of Østgarðr are welcome to come to whichever and as many candidate nights as they wish, to hear the candidates’ views on the important issues and ask the candidates questions.
- March 19, 2006: Madeleine Pelner Cosman, author of Fabulous Feasts (among other books), passed away. She wasn’t a member of the SCA, and this book has been superseded by subsequent research, but for many years it was the only easily-accessible book on medieval cooking, and as such it got a lot of SCA cooks started.
- Jan. 20, 2006: Since the announcement didn’t get into the December or January Pikestaff, the timetable for Viceregal succession has been pushed back a bit:
- Feb. 15, due date for self-nominations (send to Their Majesties, Their Highnesses, Kingdom Seneschal, and (as a courtesy) Ian and Katherine.
- Feb. 15-April 18, “campaign” period. Sir Edward would like to have a “Town Meeting” in each of the eight modern counties that make up Østgarðr. (It was pointed out at Commons that very few Østgarðrians live in Putnam County, and some of them are candidates, so the Westchester and Putnam County meetings may be combined.) You may attend whichever meeting(s) you wish, regardless of where you live.
- April 18, Polls are mailed to all paid members of the SCA, 14 years or older, living in the official boundaries of Østgarðr. If you want to be polled, make sure your membership is paid by the end of March.
- May 18, polling closes, and the ballots are counted.
- Late May or early June, Their Majesties announce their choice for Viceroy and/or Vicereine of Østgarðr, informed and advised (but not bound) by the poll results.
- September 9, investiture at Barleycorn.
- Dec. 7, 2005: A number of amendments are proposed to the Bylaws, including (among other things) procedures for election of a new Viceroy and/or Vicereine. See the amended bylaws here. Note that they show deletions and additions to the previous bylaws; once approved by the Provincial Officers’ Council and each of the Canton Officers’ Councils, they’ll be cleaned up and renumbered and should look like this.
- Nov. 20, 2005: Since the Provincial Bylaws are unclear on how the election of a new Viceroy and Vicereine are to take place, the Officers’ Corps will discuss the matter in Nov. and Dec. The current, maybe-or-maybe-not-approved Bylaws are here.