Commons Minutes for August 2021

August 2021 Minutes • Østgarðr Commons

The August commons meeting was held August 18. Here are the minutes as recorded by Sofya Gianetta di Trieste and edited by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attendance

Present

  • Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun
  • Suuder Saran, Il-Khan (not on camera)
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal
  • Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
  • Drasma Dragomira, Herald
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Acting Chatelaine, Deputy Exchequer
  • Randve L’il Hammar, Minister of Arts & Sciences
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal
  • Zahra al-Andalusiyya, Chronicler
  • Kunigunde Wedemann, Chancellor Minor 
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Historian
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Whyt Whey Seneschal, Youth Marshal, Acting Webminister
  • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
  • Ragnarr bláskegg, Brokenbridge Seneschal
  • Catelin Straquhin, Deputy Seneschal
  • Aurora ffolkes
  • Brekke Franksdottir
  • Richard the Poor
  • Gibbs Moryss
  • Morwenna Penrose
  • Berakha bat Mira v’Shlomo
  • Perez ben Meir Gershon
  • Ablrecht Anker
  • Belle-Assez Bat Samson

Absent Officers

  • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
  • Marion of York, Minister of Lists
  • Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain

Opening 

  • Called to order at 7:30 pm after confirming that a quorum of officers were present.
  • The harassment and bullying policy was belatedly read into the record during the meeting.

Officer Report Items For Discussion

Viceregents — Lada

  • Lada: We’ll be holding championships at Barleycorn in three or four disciplines: Armored combat, fencing, archery, and maybe also thrown weapons.
    • We’ll have an overall tournament winner and a champion, not necessarily the same person.
    • Fencing tournament will also include a third prize for the prettiest fencer on the field.
    • Catelin: If the fencing tournament includes a “roll the dice” mechanism for choosing weapons forms, how will we handle folks who aren’t authorized in all some weapon forms?
    • Lada: Good question; contact the marshal in charge via email or Facebook and ask.
    • Richard: I’d like to offer a prize for the best death on the armored combat field.
    • Lada: Request granted!
  • The Signet Office is recruiting scribal volunteers — please sign up!
    • A link to volunteer is included in the Vicegents’ report.
  • The East Kingdom Wiki is super useful — if you have a wiki page, please update it; if not, please create one.
    • Mathghamhain: if you write up the content, several people including myself can help you get it posted to the website
    • Friedrich: Any interest in a wiki class? 
    • Many people: Yes!
    • Zahra: I can help with writing and helping decide what to put in your wiki.
    • Lada: Some useful things to include are your preferred pronouns, jobs you’ve done, etc.
    • Berakha: Some examples of things I included in my wiki page are things you want to learn, favorite foods, guilds or groups you’re involved with.
    • Jenna: Also events you’ve served at. For inspiration, look at other people’s pages and see what they’ve included.
    • Friedrich and Zahra will lead a class in the evening of Wednesday, September 1st on creating a EK Wiki page

Seneschal — Alienor

  • Thanks to the officers for sending in your reports — this communication really helps things smoothly.

Exchequer — Francisco

  • Working on gate for Barleycorn.

Herald — Drasma

  • Drasma: Working with the new OP clerk on missing local awards; check your OP page and let us know if any of your awards are not listed here.
  • If you sent in a name or armory submission before the recent change of mailing addresses, please reach out to make sure it went through.

Chatelaine 

  • Alienor: Laila has stepped down and is moving on to a new adventure. Thank you Laila!
  • Angelica stepped up as emergency chatelaine and has done a wonderful job, but the position is open for a permanent replacement.
  • One person has nominated themselves — are there any other volunteers? No.
  • With only one candidate running for the position, Catelin was confirmed by vote of the officers and popular acclaim.
  • Alienor: Catelin will step down as deputy seneschal and that position will be filled by Ragnarr.

Chancellor Minor — Kunigunde

  • Kunigunde: I’m working on lots of games and things to do for Barleycorn.

Armored Combat — Ervald

  • Ervald: Local fighting practice is going strong.
  • The two-day EternalCon demo was a success. Thank you to Marion and the fencers, and to the people who staffed the chatelaine table.

Archery & Thrown Weapons

  • No local archery but An Dubh is holding archery practice which you can attend.

Fencing — Alec

  • Alec: Fencing going superbly.

Youth Combat — Mathghamhain

  • Mathghamhain: We’ll have youth combat at Barleycorn.

Minister of Lists

  • Nothing to report.

Webminister

  • Mathghamhain: Anne stepped down and I have been serving in an acting capacity until a permanent replacement could be found.
  • We had two volunteers; Friderich will lead the office and Eadwine will work as a deputy.
  • With only one candidate running for the position, Friderich was confirmed by vote of the officers and popular acclaim.
  • Friderich: When posting announcements, please also send a copy to me via the webminister email address to facilitate them being posted to the website.
  • Lada: I’ll also make Friderich an administrator of our Facebook page so he can post there.

Chronicler — Zahra

  • Next newsletter will be September 1 — I would appreciate submissions

Chamberlain

  • No changes recently.
  • Lada: We might reconsider our arrangements when unpacking supplies after Barleycorn.
  • Lada: Provincial records show that the rattan gifted to group is in seneschal’s storage.

Historian — Sophia

  • Please send pictures to add to history pages, including events and awards.
  • Jenna: At the upcoming Coronation, there will be a space for those who are no longer with us; links are available to send your memories and photos of these people. 
    • You’re welcome to use pictures from Jenna’s Facebook page for this purpose.

Lions End — Uji

  • Uji: Lions End recently discussed having a Schola in 2022 and maybe also reviving the Lions in Winter event, but no dates or event stewards as of yet.

Brokenbridge — Ragnarr

  • Ragnarr: Thanks to everyone who participated in making the Feast of Fireflies event wonderful. Vivant!! And special thanks to Randve for leading this effort.
    • Randve: thanks to Ragnarr and Arnora for lots of help pulling this together.
    • Shout out to Oliver, our brewer, for his generous donation to the Feast. 
  • Ragnarr: Canton commons will be August 29 in person in Marine Park.
  • Thinking about Deck the Halls of Valhalla, but we’re looking for a new site and an event steward.

Whyt Whey — Mathghamhain

  • Mathghamhain: Picnic was small and pleasant. 
  • Solar is going well.

Upcoming Events

Barleycorn — Aurora (Event Steward)

  • Aurora: Thanks to everyone who’s contacted me about activities for Barleycorn. I’m currently sending emails to everyone who has volunteered.
  • I’m currently making signs and laminating them.
  • I also need to get the old signage from the Northern storage unit, and the provincial list poles and ropes from provincial storage.
    • Francesco: I can go to the northern storage to pick up what’s needed. Tom should call me to schedule a visit.
    • The list poles and ropes should be in Ian’s storage.
  • I will work on food soon, although some items will need to be bought in the last few days right before the event.
  • Still seeking information about the fencing tournament and Sir Edward’s Challenge.
    • Perez: I have contacted Ervald to discuss details of the challenge.
    • Brekke: I have copies of some of Edward’s old test questions.
    • Perez: We’re also looking for more marshals.
    • Lada: Ask the folks in An Dubhaigeainn
  • Jenna: The person managing the Bartertown activity should contact me to discuss it.
  • Kunigunde: How do I announce the youth activities to the East Kingdom?
    • Lada: Join the discussion mailing list and then post there, and in the EK Facebook group
    • Friderich: If you forward announcements to me I can put them on the web site, mailing list, and Facebook
  • Alienor: There was a discrepancy between the event dates for the site rental versus the insurance certificate we ordered.
    • Aurora: We also have the site the night before and the morning after for setup and teardown.
    • Alienor: Okay, we’ll get the insurance certificate corrected.
    • The new staffer at the Society Corporate office who handles insurance certificates has been lovely to work with.

Upcoming Commons Meetings

  • September 15
  • October 20
  • November 17

Closing

  • Meeting closed at 8:11pm.

August 2021 Reports • Østgarðr Commons 

Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

We look forward to seeing any of you at John Barleycorn Returns in just a few weeks.

We will be holding our Heavy Weapons, Fencing and Archery Championship tourneys at Barleycorn. Here is a bit more info on the upcoming tourneys:

Archery Tournament and Provincial Archery Championship at Barleycorn:

Our Archery Champion Mongo Chinua will put on a challenging and exciting tournament for all archers attending and to choose his successor. There will be and overall tournament winner and the next Provincial Archery Champion will be chosen.

Heavy Weapons Tournaments and Provincial Heavy Weapons Championship at Barleycorn:

With Our Champion away serving and training in mundania, at his request Perez Ben Meir Gershon has stepped up to take charge and organize the tournament to choose the new Provincial Heavy Weapons Champion. There will be an overall tournament winner and the next Provincial Champion will be chosen amongst those who are vying for the title. 

Fencing Tournament and Provincial Fencing Championship at Barleycorn:

Heed the word from our Fencing Champion Engel der Pfau:

“Seven years ago in late 2019, in front of a large and excited crowd, on a beautiful sunny day in Tryon Park/The Cloisters NY I fought and won the Crown Province of Østgarðr fencing championship. Since then, I have made it to few practices, and perhaps not always been the citizen I would like to have been. I have also done little fencing, as the use of plate armor now speaks more to my heart than any other martial pursuit.

But now I am given the opportunity to use my rare skill of always making things interesting/being really loud to benefit others and the province. I am moving soon, and downsizing, and so offer up this helm, a 16th century burgonet, to the winner of the fencing tourney to be held at the Feast of John Barleycorn on the 11th of September.

They will also receive

The baronial tabard

The baronial sword and scabbard that I am repainting

The tourneys format will involve dice rolls to determine weapon style. Another category, “Most Prettiest” will have another reward and be judged by the crowd assembled.

So please come and tell your friends, and take rich bounty from it”

East Kingdom needs scribes:

This past year and half has been hard on everyone. That includes the scribes of the East, quite a few have gone a bit crispy. Now as the new reign is kicking into high gear the Signet office is in need of new scribes or past scribes who perhaps took a break, but are willing and able to start doing scrolls again.

Please consider volunteering some of your time and artistic skills for the benefit of the kingdom:

EK WIKI

If you have an EK wiki please consider updating it with your most up to date persona description, court preferences, etc.

If you do not have one. Please consider setting one up

You can do so here: wiki.eastkingdom.org

This is a great resource for anyone who may be looking to find out more about you, your work or your court preferences. You can share as little or as much info, as you’d like.

Seneschal • Alienor Salton

Officers, thank you for submitting your reports before the meeting!

Exchequer • Francisco de Braga

All is well on the exchequer front.  Supporting Aethelstan who is running gate for Barleycorn.

Herald • Drasma Dragomira

The Shepard’s Crook Herald (East Kingdom Order of Precedence clerk) is open for corrections to OP entries.  If you have awards, please check your OP entry and if any are missing, send updates to either Shepard’s Crook and/or myself (I will route as needed) with supporting documentation of the award.  My focus is on uncovering missing local awards but absolutely report any award missing, including other Kingdom’s awards that would affect your OP standing.

If you submitted something for registration before the switch of submission addresses/heralds and you have heard nothing about it since, reach out to me and I’ll help see if it got lost in the shuffle. 

As always, if you’re thinking about registering your name or armory, reach out to me and I’ll be happy to help.

Chatelaine • Angelica di Nova Lipa

One email contact, one volunteer Østgarðr new Chatelaine, with whom I will work / show the ropes.   I have some neat window dressing, incl the little castle, some brochure display stands, 3 ring binders with large color photos, and some “new” printed ‘tapestries’ to use as backdrops.  Working on getting together 7” digital picture frames also for demos.

Chancellor Minor • Kunigunde Wedemann

Plans are underway for providing a variety of activities for the young folk attending Barleycorn. Lady Arnora has organized coloring activities for the young, two sessions of hula dancing, and bardic for the young in the form of storytelling by anyone who wishes to share tales for all ages. 

Please contact me at chancellorminor@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org if you are interested. Ideally, we’d like to have storytelling ongoing every 30 minutes until 3:00. I will be hosting two activities: illumination and the weaving of small baskets.

Arts & Sciences • Randve L’il Hammar

No report submitted.

Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre

No report submitted.

Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

No report submitted.

Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

I’ve been holding a fencing practice fairly consistently since July.  We normally get usually 3 fencers.  Tonight we had 5, including a new person.

There were two fencers at Eternal Con.:  HL Marion of York (the marshal) and Lady Mauve from Lions End.  My thanks to Marion for handling that with short notice.

The Provincial fencing championship will be held at Barleycorn.  Our current champion, Engel, has arranged the tournament.  Lady Aurora has asked me to be the marshal in charge.

One last note:  I’m thinking of resuming the virtual practice in September. 

P.S. I got an email last month (?) that my background check as a youth marshal is still good for a couple of more years.

Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

I recently learned that Aurora would like to include youth combat at Barleycorn. I’ve offered to run the list, and will endeavor to recruit additional fighters and marshals to fill out the field. 

I’ll need to inspect our loaner gear to see what bits of foam have failed during the long lull, but I expect we’ll be able to kit out a couple of newcomers, so if your kids are interested in trying their hands at our sport, let me know and I’ll try to find something that fits them.

Minister of Lists • Marion of York

No report submitted.

Webminister • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin 

As previously noted, I have been wearing the Webminister’s hat on an acting basis following Anne’s departure. Thank you to Friderich and Eadwine for responding to my call for volunteers. After discussing the requirements, Friderich agreed to take the lead with Eadwine as a deputy. 

If the Province consents, I would like to hand the office over to Friderich at this evening’s meeting. He has already jumped in and is doing a great job. As per our bylaws, he would start by finishing out the remainder of Anne’s term which will end in December. Eadwine and I both stand ready to serve as deputies.

Chronicler • Zahra de Andaluzia

It’s almost time for another issue of the E-Horse! Please send your art, photos, articles, memes, games, ideas, questions, and opinions (gently) my way. Issue to be published September 1.

Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

No report submitted.

Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

I made an edit to July’s report and added Adam de Prunelle’s AoA.

Historian Report-August 2021

Being the Court of Their Majesties Consul Tindal and Consul Alberic, held on August 14, 2021 AS LVI in the Shire of Anglespur at Bjorn’s Retreat, the following good citizen of Ostgardr was recognized in Court:

Berakha bat Mira v’Shlomo    Silver Brooch/Award of Arms

July 11, 2021, AS LVI

Being the Court of Their Majesties Consul Alberic and Consul Tindal held on July 11, 2021, AS LVI in the East Kingdom at The Eleventh Ethereal Court of the Eastern Consules, the following good citizens of Ostgardr was recognized in Court:

Ryouko’jin of the Iron Skies received the Sovereign’s Cypher

Adam de Prunelle: Award of Arms

Whyt Whey • • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

Our Sunday in the Park picnic gathering at the start of this month was small but pleasant. 

The online Solars continue to be educational and successful. 

Our annual September Cloisters event has been cancelled due to Covid. 

We’re working on updating our list of bank signatories.

Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi

No report submitted.

Brokenbridge • Ragnarr bláskegg

Brokenbridge just hosted a virtual event, Feast of the Fireflies.  It was very successful, and I thank everyone that came online that night to hang out and reminisce about pennsic (and letting me run GeoGuesser!).  

I want to thank everyone that helped in some way!

Randve Li’l Hammer – Event Steward, gift box planning, recipe book design

Catelin Straquhin – Gift Box planning, 3D Printed Yaks, recipe contribution

Albrecht Anker – Gift box planning, 3D Ostgardr camp design

Alienor Salton – Mini Banner stands, recipe contribution

Mathghamhain Ua Ruadhain – recipe contribution

Friderich Grimme – recipe contribution

Arnora Ketilsdottir – Gift Box planning 

Oliver de Bainbridge – Beer donation

If I have forgotten anyone, please let me know and I will correct the list!

Thank you all for making the event so special and successful!

In other Brokenbridge news, we are having our commons on August 29th.  We are looking for an event steward for Deck the Halls of Valhalla and start to plan for the 2022 version of the event. 

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *