Commons minutes April 2017

Crown Province of Østgarðr Commons Meeting
April 21st, 2017

Attendance:

Lady Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Arts and Sciences Minister
Lady Beatrice della Rocca, Chatelaine
THLord Suuder Saran, Viceroy
Lady Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
Baroness Jacqueline Helene Loisel
Genie Silverberg
Lady Alienor Salton, Whyt Whey
Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Youth Marshal
Mistress Rufina Cambrensis, Chronicler
Master John Elys, Deputy Chronicler
THLord Mongo Chinua, Herald
THL Lada Monguligin, Vicereine
Lord Erich Gutermuth, Minister of Lists
Baron Luigj Vascili
Luigi

Start Time: 8:10pm

Old Business: None

Reports:

Chronicler: Seahorse is out. Please remember to subscribe to the newsletter.

Youth Combat: has resumed events in Rusted Woodlands tomorrow at Balfar’s. Trying to get more kids available on weekends. Building youth pell. Have banner made by Lady Alienor

Whyt Whey:

Still talking about hosting schola, need new leads.

New people came to meeting last night.

Looking for deputies to overtake positions: Erica for deputy webminister.

Just got certification as charity, and so will be able to use Google EK.

Next class is tablet weaving,

Branch arms are past kingdom, no commentary as of yet.

Supplying things for Picnic in the Ruins.

Recorder schola was a great success, will be having another.

Exchequer:

We have money, and still have some line items outstanding.

If you have receipts outstanding, please get them in soon.

Chatelaine:

We had some great turnout working with Hawkes Reach at the demo at ICON.

There are some more demos coming up, and some great events that will be open to the public during the coming months.

Reminder to those who are coming to upcoming events, that if you need Gold Key, please contact me!

Minister of Arts and Science:

Great to see so much happening. Between workshops, game nights, pewter smithing, pouch making, recorder classes. Forge making. Just wonderful to see such diversity. Outdoor activities adding more ans stuff. Lions in Spring coming tomorrow. Favors been working on embroidery machine for favors for 50th year, as personal tokens for next year will be reimbursing for the thread.

Hoping to schedule banner classes specifically with an eye for Pennsic. Checking with Angelica for silk etc making.

Pennsic University class submission deadline is coming soon check website for more information

Been making stuffed toy kits for children’s largess. They are really easy to make.

Northpass: nothing happening, everything is quiet

Minister of Lists: We didn’t have any lists.

Fencing: Gardener practice to that end.

Herald: No report.

Archery:

It is getting warm, so we will be shooting again May 20th.
We had 4 new fencers show up at our last practice.
We are getting fencers coming down from Northpass and the community is growing.
We are considering moving off of Tuesdays to avoid competing with Glen

Viceregal:

Come to Lions in Spring.

We have business cards

We’ve been doing a lot of canton events here and there; want us to start thinking about having an Østgarðr event for Østgarðr, as opposed to canton events.
Suuder researching a possible event: medieval escape the room event (dungeon cell that you need to escape from, using a combination of skills). Would be a different event.
Possibly a competition? One maybe 2 rooms run at the same time? Details still to be worked out. Conversation in the room seemed largely positive

What would populace really enjoy? Please contact the Viceregents for with ideas and suggestions

Upcoming events

Lions in Spring: April 22nd event in Lions End. Østgarðr Arts and Sciences championship. Come, submit, and enjoy!
Balfar’s Challenge: April 22nd. To those going, good luck!
Picnic in the Ruins: Apr 29th music, dancing, socializing, potluck, no fighting, no fencing, no archery, no classes. no banners, no changing facilities
Silver Horde anniversary event May 12 – 14th.
$17 and $10 [Web page says $15 — ed.] for feast
camping in cabins, in Estonia house in An Dubhagain
theme is Siege of Kiev.
would like to have nice a&s display.
Lada and someone will be having an AoA day, to fill in empty shields on scrolls: first come, first serve.

Viking Day: May 20th
Lada is onsite coordinator. Bring displays, pop ups, etc. If you need special things, pls contact Lada. Still looking for marshals.

Riverdale Riverfest: June 11th details are on the website, check back for updates

Blood and Axes: June 13th details are on the website, check back for updates

Jackie motions to adjourn, John seconds, all approved. Meeting concludes at 8:50pm

Commons minutes February 2017

Highlights from February Østgarðr Commons

[Official Minutes will be available soon via e-mail]

17 February 2017
Transcribed by John Elys

Viceregents: Went to Curia. More later.
Coronation of Honig & Johannes, April 1 in CT. Provincial presentation of Stuff. Competition among Cantons. Point system. Winning Canton receives a heraldic banner painted by Lada. Those not living in a Canton are invited to negotiate for their services, or come up with a presentation themselves, or something.
50Y EK Celebration in June/July 2018; if you have antique realia, bring them.

Whyt Whey: Monthly A&S is happening. Planning event in Prospect Park for last weekend in April.

Historian: We have a new Queens Champion (Sofya). Now all we need are a Kings Champion, a Bronx Champion, a Nassau Champion, a Richmond Champion, a New York Champion, a Westchester Champion, a Putnam Champion….

Chatelaine: going to ICON in Long Island: fighting, fencing, A&S, March 17-19. Talk to her if you want a presenter’s pass.

Whyt Whey A&S: more discussion of monthly A&S classes, hand-stitching, pouches, etc.

A&S: received a bunch of hand-me-down stuff, trying to triage. Fabric, clothes, archery supplies, etc.
Autocratting class at Jenna’s, 24 March.
Ostgardr Bardic & A&S championships coming up 22 April.
5 Ostgardrians entered EK Bardic Champs last weekend: Lada and Sofya were finalists, and Sofya won Q’s Champ.
EK 50th: would like to make 200 “Ostgardr 50” favors (seahorse w/L)

MoL: no news.

Chronicler: hug your friends, cherish your loved ones, because you never know.

Northpass: Bear’s Tavern in 2 weeks. Blood & Axes 2-4 June at Veterans’ Memorial Park; site is incredibly absolutely totally dry. Kathy running Barleycorn, Stan running gate, various other staff. If you’re in charge of a department, you form your own staff.

Youth Marshal: quiet for the winter.

Whyt Whey Herald: new WW arms have passed Kingdom, off to Society.
Mathghamhain declared Provincial Youth Marshal by acclamation of the Officers.

Fencing (Marion): practice still going on Wednesday evenings in Inwood (Holy Trinity Episcopal, Siemen & Cummings). May have a site for Sunday afternoons in Levittown.

Exchequer: We have c. $10K of our own.

Web: All officers should have an ostgardr.eastkingdom.org address; most of you have never checked it. Also maintaining yahoogroup for officers; Arnora would rather use non-eastkingdom.org e-mail addresses on it, both to keep things informal and because when an office changes hands, webmaster can control the eastkingdom.org address but can’t change the yahoo password associated with it. [Aside: I think she could; talk to her.]

Brokenbridge: A&S classes & commons & food. Getting bank account. Postponing Baconbridge.

Marshal: Discussion of public visibility, army, etc. Fighter practice @ McCarren Park on Mondays, starting in March. Something about armor website (captainzorikh.com/scaarmor)
Thrown Weapons Champion (Ervald): will talk to Excellencies about choosing successor.

Lions End: John Capobianco wants demo — maybe next spring — at Farmingdale Green. Want fighters, fencers, hands-on A&S, family-friendly…

Seneschal: looking into NYIT as event site (big open flat fields, gym, dining hall, etc.) in Brookville, near Glen Cove.

Viceroy: Report from Curia. Earl Marshals can now have deputies who are not fighters. Silver Mantle (AoA-level award for miscellaneous stuff that isn’t covered by any of the other AoA-level awards: thrown weapons, equestrian, wrestling, whatever). Policy: officer business can be done on personal e-mail address, as long as everything is copied to your officer address. If we need anything from Kingdom MoL (authorizations, etc.), request it soon because the office is about to change hands. New “Young Teens Chatelaine” office, actually held by a young teen. Extending bid time on large events (400+): you need to have a hard date and site by 24 months before event.

Past Events: none.

Upcoming Demos: ICON.

Upcoming Events: Lions End hosting Bardic/A&S Champs 22 April. Also drop-in classes (teaching kitchen, fiber area, mail area, etc.)
Blood & Axes 2-4 June, Wilhelm is steward.
Big Apple Con: would like activities table. Might also have panel on “how researching your costume illuminates your character”. Penn Hotel, 11-12 March. Contact Ervald.

Bylaws Committee: not much since last Commons.

Coronet Committee: discussing designs.

New Business: reaching out to people who live here but don’t play w/Ostgardr.
Jibril suggests war practice in Astoria Park, in June (probably 24th). It’s a public park, so it’s de facto a demo. Need a bunch of pop-ups; no stakes allowed.

Exchequer: got request from rapier people for a $65 “punch tester”, which is mandated for safety testing every other year. The nearest person who owns one is in Suffolk County. Purchase approved.

An Dubh fencing championship, probably 17 June.

March 17 Commons @ GdG’s place
April 21 Commons @ Mongo’s place in Staten Island
May 19 Commons @ Lake Mohegan

Commons minutes January 2017

Highlights from January Østgarðr Commons

[Official Minutes will be available soon via e-mail]

20 January 2017
Transcribed by John Elys
Meeting opened at 8:15, after lots of people delayed by bad traffic.

Seneschal:
We had an election for officer positions. 20 officers, 11 votes received, which is just enough.

Viceregents:
Populace badge is the blue, erect, orbed hooved and crined thing without leaves, fieldless.
Device is the same within an orle of laurel leaves (field?)
Order of the Seahorse is a natural seahorse, fieldless
clarifying this w/College of Heralds

Seeking ideas to make people proud of being from Østgarðr
Discussion of spelling and pronunciation.

Prince has announced that at Pennsic, EK is with Middle & Ealdormere against Aethelmearc & Northshield.

Herald (Mungu Chinua): Valhalla happened. Court happened. Alex McLoughlin got Sea Lion.

Chronicler (Rufina): E-Horse is out. If you find technical glitches in the E-Horse, let us know so we can fix them. Subscribe; it’s free.

Lists (Erich): Need somebody to run lists for fencing because I want to fence.

Fencing (Alex): still have access to practice site. Marion is still in PT, not fencing. Had mtg at recent event; discussed practice sites in various parts of Østgarðr, fundraising, loaner gear, uniforms, …

Chatelaine (Beatrice): Newcomers at Deck the Halls, Valhalla, etc. Sofya received donation of clothing, archery stuff, etc. from an inactive SCAdian.

Exchequer (Angelica): We have $14K and change. Still working on disposition of $128 of Gilded Pearl money.

Lions End (Brekke): Upcoming event April 22: A&S championship. Farmingdale requested medieval demo on village green, paying gig, want fighters and A&S. Date being negotiated, perhaps May.

Lori: Riverfest June 11.

Web (Arnora): Transferred registrations (sorta)

Brokenbridge (Arnora): Baconbridge II in June. Next A&S Commons Feb. 26 “blacksmithing brunch”

Historian (Richard): history continues

Northpass (Thomas): getting feelers about a demo at White Plains Public Library.
Considering brewing event at Blue Mountain.
Reserved Veterans’ Memorial Park for first weekend in June for fighting, throwing, fencing, archery event.
Barleycorn in planning stages
Bear’s Tavern coming up: overnight reservations sold out
Goat’s Tavern will happen again this year
Discussion of Canton officers reporting to their Provincial superiors

Recent events: already discussed

Upcoming demos: see above

Upcoming events: Bear’s Tavern 3/3-5
Lions in Spring 4/22
5/13: Silver Horde 20th Anniversary
An Dubh investiture 9/16 (weekend after Barleycorn)
An Dubh fencing event some time in June
SRWC 6/9-11, conflicting with Riverfest

Bylaws Committee: has been tossing around wording on-line. Discussion of required officers, Provincial awards, procedures for officer election, etc.

Coronets Committee: not much new.

Upcoming Commons: February at Alienor’s, March at Bish’s, April at Chinua’s.

No January Officers’ Meeting

Adjournment 9:16

Commons minutes October 2016

Crown Province of Ostgardr
Commons Meeting Minutes
October 21, 2016

In Attendance
1 Barone Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa, Seneschal
2 TH Lady Lada Mongoulagin, Vicereine
3 Lady Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
4 Anneke, Deputy Deputy Seneschal, Recording Secretary
5 Ragnar Bliskeg, Brokenbridge
6 Countess Brekke Franksdottir, OP, OL; Lion’s End
7 Arnora Kettilsdottir, Webminister
8 Lady Alienor Salton, Whyt Whey
9 TH Lady Marion of York, Fencing
10 Master Richard the Poor, Historian
11 Magistra Rufina Cambrensis, Chronicler
12 Lady Sofya Giannetta di Trieste, Chatelaine, A&S
13 Robin
14 Frederich Grimm
15 TH Lord Mungo Chinua, Herald
16 Alexie

Start Time: 8:08pm
End Time: 9:25pm

I. Reports
A. Vicereine,TH Lady Lada Mungoulain
1 We would like to host an event for the upcoming East Kingdom 50 Year and Ostgardr 50 Year, which is coming up in 2018. Can we host 12th Night that year? Maybe in Staten Island where East Kingdom started?
2 We need to do research on the approximate price of finding of space. A discussion is held regarding approximate prices for different locations, and the group is reminded that there exists a formula for considering how much your event will cost.
a) Most places will charge by the hour, and so that needs to be taken into consideration. Some places, such as churches, will have additional costs per hour, for outside members and organizations
b) Those places without a liquor license will have to be dry sites.
B. Arts and Sciences, TH Lady Lada, Lady Sofya
1. Reports are filed, arts are happening, more will be discussed as part of Chatelaine report
C. Whyt Whey Report by Lady Alienor Salton.
There is nothing to report.
D. Seneschal, Barone Francesco
1 We are holding a meeting this month, but are taking December off for the holidays.
2 I have asked the Viceregals whether they would like to have their comments before or after the Officer’s Reports during Commons Meetings. As the Viceregals prefer before, their comments will be made before the Officer’s Reports at all Commons Meetings on and after this one.
E . Chronicler, MagistraRufina.
Please remember to submit information to the Seahorse. The populace is reminded that it is the official form of communication and information dissemination of the Province.
F. Webmaster, Arnora
1. Out dated webpages, such as A&S will be updated, once the Officers in question get back to the webminister.
G Brokenbridge, Ragnar
1 Passed a new financial policy. It’s on the website.
2 Will be opening a new account of our own soon, instead of using Ostgardr
3 Voting on officers is next week (Friday 29) at Brokenbridge Commons
4 After next month, Commons will be combined with an A&S
H Exchequer, Lady Angelica
1 Current balance: $12,937.29
a) Ostgardr money that isn’t already dedicated to something: $8600
b) Brokenbridge: $2,868.69
2 I have opened line items for the Coronets and the rapier loaner gear fund.
3 All submitted reimbursement requests have been fulfilled.
a) Please remember to send in reimbursement request for Musician’s Day after the event.
I Lion’s End, Countess Brekke
1 Quarterly report has gone in, although we had no meeting last month as we had no quorum.
2 We are looking at having a 2­part Schola with An Dubh, tentatively scheduled for April 23rd of next year.
J Fence, TH Lady Marian
1 Occasional fencers show up at McCarren Park practice. Alec runs it when people show. It is usually just him and one other.
2 Inwood practice should be starting shortly. It’s officially not an SCA practice. It’s a small school group focusing on historical fencing and not everyone involved will necessarily be SCA
a) This means that people will not need to use the armor and weapons requirements of the SCA in order to fence at this practice.
K. Chamberlain, LadyKatherine (report sent it)
1 Green and White is in storage
2 Pots are in Northpass
L. Herald, TH Lord Mungo
1. At Barleycorn, several of our populace were honored with Ostgardr awards.
a) Lady Angelica, and Zorikh were made members of the Order of the Sea lantern.
b) Baroness Johanna and Sir Gui were made members of the Order of the Seahorse
c) Lady Lilly Redtowers and Barbara the Nearly­ Naked Fresian were made members of the Order of the Seadog. Two new Sea lanterns: Angelica and Zorikh
M. Chatelaine, Lady Sofya
1 Queen’s Farm was a lovely event, good turn­out, got about 20 names/contacts
2 New Ostgardr Newcomers Email List: To keep new people informed of goings on without being too spammy or too much
3 Locations for meeting and events: We need a space(s) where new people can feel comfortable coming since it can be intimidating showing up at people’s homes. Asking for volunteers to help find locations for A&S activities and 12th Night
a) By in large, the events have been taking place in Whyt Whey, but we need these events to be happening throughout the Province.
N. Knight Marshall, Jarl Valgard (report sent in)
1 Ervald has taken over the McCarren Park heavy fighter’s practice. This continues to be a good location, and we have been getting more fighters.
2 Stepping down in January to return to being the Brokenbridge Marshal. As of yet, no one has volunteered to take the position.
3 The Earl­ Marshal has told us that there will be new guidelines for helmet inspections being issued next year
4 Several fighters took to the field at Barleycorn, Lord Ervald was victorious.
5 Thanks to Gunvor, Marshal of North Pass for being Marshal in Charge, and Sir Balin and Sir Edward for running the tournaments.

II Recently Past Events. There have been none

III Upcoming Demos. There are none.

IV Upcoming Events
A. Musician’s Day is a music ­focused event on Nov. 11th­-13th at the Blue Mountain Trail Lodge. Speak to Magistra Rufina, the event steward if interested.
1 Friedrich has given the menu, and it is posted on the event description. He also requests help in the kitchen.
2 Many teacher volunteers. Currently bugging them for class title and description to post
3 New to the event: Track of classes aimed at new ­to ­you (or beginner) skills
4 If interested, it is asked that you pre­register for the event.
B. Deck the Halls of Valhalla is a Viking focused event
1 Jan 27 in Brokenbridge (Park Slope) at the Old Stone House
2 It’s on the EK calendar, it has a website, and a Facebook page

V. Old Business
A. Bylaw Committee has not met nor discussed meeting
B. Coronet Committee has met
1. There is a plan in place that covers all possible points, which will be submitted later.
C. Trying to start new club at City College
1 Student Life gave only one week to start new club that needed to have 4 student executives, so couldn’t get it done in time for this semester
2 By next semester we should have enough, so the new club will start in January
3 Jarl Valgard has offered to be a faculty advisor

VI. New Business
A Buying Chef Knives: Ostgardr is in need of dedicated chef knives for day board and feast events, as our current knives are provided by volunteers, and of assorted and random type. Having dedicated knives would allow for better and easier food preparation for those in the kitchens.
1 Friedrich has done research and found best brand, NSF. The knives will have yellow handles.
2 A motion is made by Angelica and the Financial committee to approve $182 for the required knives.
3 Passed unanimously
B Ostgardr Populace Badge
1 Ostgardr has many heraldry variations on Seahorses which are registered but not appointed to anything specific
2 What is the populace badge? Fieldless blue seahorse is general used, but it isn’t registered as such, and is also used for Seahorse Award. A discussion is had about whether to register the badge, but nothing is decided.
C Officer Elections
1 Nominations are open til Halloween­ There are still some position that nobody has nominated themselves for
2 Current Candidates
a) Chatelaine­ None
b) Minister of A&S­ Lady Sofya Gianetta di Trieste
c) Knight Marshall­ None
d) Captain of Archery­ THLady Arnbjorg Helga Nilsdottir
e) Minister of Lists­ None
f) Chamberlain­ Baron Ian of Clan Mitchell, OP
g) Historian­ Baron Richard the Poor of Ely, OP
D. New Dorp High School Comicon
1. We have been contacted by the School as they have set a date for next year, and would like to have us. The date is May 20th, 2017

VII Next THREE Upcoming Commons
A. November at the Vice regents’ in Brooklyn
B. December is cancelled for the holidays
C. January is at Lady Alienor’s in Manhattan

VIII January Officer Corps Meeting
A. Jan 8th at Francesco’s from 3pm­ 6pm
B. If no one is running contested, then we will do it via email as a polling

Commons minutes September 2016

24 September 2016
(Saturday Evening at Queens Farm Demo)

Start Time: 6:05p

Reports (going around the room)

Seneschal
Reported by Alienor: Someone (name withheld) is discouraging Members from coming to Commons. In lieu of telling new people “not to come”, instead say, “You don’t have to come, but we’d like it if you would come.”

Viceregents
Award Recommendations

Østgarðr for Østgarðr:
STOP SAYING “Because that’s the way it was done.”
Start using the phrase “We’re here for YOU.”
Next year is Østgarðr’s 50th Anniversary
Let’s have a Golden Jubilee Event!
It’s also the 50th Anniversary of the East Kingdom, but let them have their own event & we’ll have ours, too.
Originally, the East Kingdom WAS Østgarðr.

Other Officer Reports

Exchequer (via e-mail)
Liquid Assets held by Ostgardr as of September 23, 2016:
Checking: $6,461.39 Savings: $7,040.42 Total: $13,501.81

Line Item Breakdown:
13,501.81 TOTAL ASSETS Banked
 1,280.01 Nordenfjord
 128.20 Gilded Pearl
 2,969.43 Brokenbridge
 9,124.17 All Non-Dedicated Funds (belonging to Ostgardr)

Chronicler
“The Seahorse” is posted.

We would like to include any Awards given
The Seneschal suggested that the Herald cc: any Court Report to the Chronicler, for inclusion in the newsletter.

Captain of Fence
There is an practice in Inwood
There is also a non-SCA (and non-MSR) practice. Information forthcoming.

Captain of Archery
Report postponed until October

Whyt Whey
The Cloisters Demo went very well.
We have a new Herald & a new Youth Marshal

Lions End
We are planning an event : Schola II on 23 April 2017
Lord Dougmore will be the Autocrat
Baron Francesco will be the Troll
Abigail & Lady Arnbjorn will be the Feastocrats

Chamberlain
Everything has gotten where it needs to be, from (1) Barleycorn, to (2) The Cloisters, & to (3) Queens Farm;
And should get to (4) Goats Tavern, (5) Musicians’ Day, & home.

Northpass
Barleycorn went well, with only minimal drama.
Over 300 Attendees
Next year there will be a more efficiently run Troll.
Goat’s Tavern is a Schola and will happen soon 22-23 October 2016

Chatelaine
We are creating a NEWCOMERS E-mail. More info to be provided.

Arts & Sciences
There was a great showing at Barleycorn

Broken Bridge
We are actively seeking a chronicler for a monthly BrokenBridge e-newsletter. Anyone interested should email seneschal@brokenbridge.eastkingdom.org

On Sunday, Oct 30th, we will be having a A&S potluck brunch in Park Slope, Brooklyn featuring a BLACKSMITHING class. For more details, see the event calendar at Brokenbridge.eastkingdom.org

We will be voting on proposed policy letter changes at the Oct 28th commons

We will be voting on ALL BrokenBridge officer positions at the Oct 28th commons.

We have a new financial policy which can be found on the BrokenBridge.eastkingdom.org website under “Documents”

Current Events

Queens Farm
All is going well
The Chatelaine’s Table has 20 people who left their contact information

Upcoming Events

Goat’s Tavern: 22-23 October 2016
Musicians’ Day: 11-13 November 2016

Old Business

By-Law Committee — Yet to meet

Coronets Committee — Has met and is in discussions. No report yet.

New Business

Officer Elections

As of the beginning of the new year, 2017, we need to hold Elections for the following Offices.

Knight Marshal:
Minister of A&S:
Captain of Archery:
Chatelaine:
Minister of Lists:
Chamberlain:
Historian:

If anyone is interested in filling any of these Offices, please send me, Baroné Francesco Gaetano Gréco d’Edessa, the Seneschal of the Crown Province of Østgarðr your Letter of Intent, to [seneschal@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org]

Please have your Letter of Intent to me by the 31st of October 2016.
~ The publication of the Intended Officers will be sent-out within two (2) weeks.
~ The Election will occur at the January 2017 meeting of the Crown Provincial Officer Corps, – Date TBD.

=====

According to the East Kingdom and/or the Crown Provincial By-Laws:
III.F.1. ~ To be an officer of Østgarðr or one of its Cantons, a person must meet all the requirements of the East Kingdom, including membership and rostering by the appropriate Kingdom Officer.
III.F.2. ~ In addition a person must have been a resident of Østgarðr for six months to hold provincial office.

=====

OFFICER RESPONSIBILITIES:

1. Knights Marshal
A. The Knights Marshal is responsible for overseeing the conduct of all martial arts activities, including but not limited to tournament lists, wars, & combat archery, as well as such related activities as scouting.
B. The Knights Marshal bears primary responsibility for promoting both the safety and the authenticity of the related martial arts.

2. Minister of Arts & Sciences
The Minister of Arts and Sciences is responsible for supporting study into art forms, technologies, & those aspects of culture relating to their use, both in period and in Society activities.

3. Captain of Archery
The Captain of Archery is responsible for overseeing the conduct, promoting both the safety and the authenticity of all Field Archery activities, including, but not limited to, tournament lists and wars.

4. Chatelaine
A. Be the first point of contact for those new to the SCA, you are expected to read and uphold Corpora, the Society Media and Demo policies, Kingdom Law, and the policies of the office of Chatelaine.
B. Assist and mentor both new and relocated members, with the customs of the SCA, the East Kingdom, and your local group.
C. Be knowledgeable about resources useful to newcomers, such as local sources for fabric, or feast gear.
D. Supervise and assist with demos
E. You will endeavor to build and maintain a Gold Key collection of loaner garb and feast gear.
(a) Ideally, your Gold Key should contain garb in a variety of sizes for both sexes.
(b) It is also useful to have feast gear as part of the Gold Key.

5. Minister of the Lists (MOL)
A. Be organized and able to deal efficiently with large amounts of paperwork.
B. Be able to attend all locally sponsored events where a tournament or combat authorization bouts will be held.
C. Be familiar with the basic procedures for East Kingdom Combat Authorizations.
D. Have a basic familiarity with, or a willingness to learn about, standard tournament formats.
E. Be able to form a firm working relationship with all warranted marshals in his/her local group.
F. Be able to enforce Kingdom and Society Law and Policy relating to SCA combat authorization procedures with all persons, regardless of rank.

6. Chamberlain
A. The Crown Province Chamberlain is responsible for the care and upkeep of all of the Crown Province regalia, both the regalia used by the Viceregents, the regalia used by the Viceregal Champions, Officers, & Populace.
B. The Chamberlain tracks the location and status of each item of regalia, maintaining a list of who has each item signed out of storage.
C. The Chamberlain also coordinates new regalia projects to ensure that needed items are created, that new items use the Crown Provincial heraldry correctly, and to minimize duplicate efforts around the Crown Province.

7. Historian
A. Newsletters & Publications – Complete the inventory; include listings for all newsletters (TI, CA, Crown Province, Cantons, Groups, Guilds, etc). For non-newsletter items create a listing and short description (Reign files, Histories, other publications).
B. Book of Lists – Possibly create a Crown Province of Østgarðr Book of Lists Wiki Page.
C. Geographical History – Build and/or maintain a Geographical Historical Map of the Crown Province of Østgarðr.
D. Doomsday Book:
(a) Build and/or maintain a listing for offices of the Crown Province of Østgarðr and her Cantons.
(b) Build and/or maintain a listing for Groups, Guilds, etc, of the Crown Province of Østgarðr.
(c) Maybe build a database for people of the East Kingdom (SCA Name only).
(d) Build, maintain, & publish a yearly Crown Provincial history. — [2017]

Officer Corps SITE & DATE: TBD

Next THREE (3) Upcoming Commons Meetings
October: Lady Sofya (Queens)
November: Viceregents (Brooklyn)
December: Cancelled for the Holidays
January 2017: Alienor (Manhattan)

End of Meeting
End Time: 8:33p
Proposed: Countess Brekke
Seconded: EVERYBODY
Accepted by acclamation

Commons minutes August 2016

August Østgarðr Commons
August 19, 2016

In Attendance

Baron Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa, Seneschal
Lady Beatrice della Rocca, Deputy Seneschal Recording Secretary
Brandr Aronsson
Arnora Ketilsdottir, Webminister
Sir Gui Avec Cheval, Viceroy
Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver, Knight Marshal
Lady Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
Lord Alexander Maclachlan
Alexie
Ragnarr Bliskeg
Master John Elys, Deputy Chronicler
THL Lada Monguligin, Viceregal Heir, Arts and Sciences Minister
Lord Suuder Saran, Viceregal Heir, Archery Minister, Broken Bridge
Lady Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Chatelaine
Mongo Chinua, Herald
Master Richard the Poor, Historian
Lord Ervald le Coudre the Optimist
Countess Brekke Franksdottir, OP, OL; Lion’s End

Start Time: 8:03pm

I. Reports

A. Seneschal Report, Baron Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa

1. We will be needing to have a new election for seneschal on or before January 2017.
a. Baron Francesco served as the Seneschal of Lions End for 3 years before being elected to his current position.

b. According to Kingdom term limits, a person may serve in an elected position for no more than 4 years total. They may serve in other elected positions, but not in the same one (irrespective of location), for more than 4 years. i.e., a person may serve as seneschal in a canton, and then in a province for a total of 4 years. At that point, they may decide to run for a different elected position, but not for another term as seneschal. Once they have had time elsewhere, or taken a break, they may step up again for the position.

c. Those interested in this position should submit a letter of intent, and it is recommended that they take an active interest in the workings of the Province.

d. Postscript: the East Kingdom Seneschal has granted Baron Francesco a variance on the above rule to allow him to finish his term as seneschal.

The election for Seneschal of Ostgardr will take place on, or before January 2018.

2. The moderators of the Ostgardr Facebook page are out of date.

a. This was discovered the day before the meeting, during a discussion on the Facebook page, wherein Baron Francesco discovered he was not a moderator and wasn’t sure who was.

b. Lady Sofya provided a list, which included herself, some officers, and some who are not longer officers. She has offered to remove those who are no longer officers.

3. For the past few months, we have been discussing getting coronets for the Viceregal heirs. In past, the Viceregals had chains of state only, as the Province was considered to be different from a Barony. The Royalty now see the Province as being on the same level as a Barony, and thus, the Viceregals equal to the landed Barons, and thereby needing coronets.

a. THL Lada and Lord Suuder point out that as the coronets are for the Viceregal position, the coronets should reflect the Province, rather than the individual styles of the heirs.

b. Lady Sofya spoke with Michael the Plain, who said that the upper end cost of 2 coronets would be about $1,500, with as many decorations as possible. He also noted that it really depended on what was wanted on the coronets. Lady Sofya suggests that we come up with some idea of what we want, and then solicit bids from interested artisans

c. Sir Gui suggests we do a 50/50 fundraiser and contribution from the Provincial coffers. As there is general agreement to this, Lord Suuder recommends that we put out a call for fundraising ideas to the populace.

d. Jarl Valgard calls for a vote. He motions that we obtain two sets of coronets, one leather and one metal, and do whatever we need to facilitate this. Mongo seconds this motion. A vote is held: all are in favor, and none opposed.

e. Jarl Valgard proposes that since we should form a coronet committee. Lady Angelica, Brandr, THL Lada, Lady Sofya, and Lady Beatrice volunteer for the committee. They will be in contact with Jarl Valgard for getting bids, and Sir Gui for assistance with promotion. Those who have ideas for fundraising, please contact Lady Beatrice at recording.secretary@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org

B. Exchequer Report, Lady Angelica di Nova Lipa

1. Ostgardr has a total of $13,505.46.

a. In checking, we have $6,467.42

b. In savings, we have $7,038.04

c. Of the total, roughly $4,400 are dedicated funds, held in trust as follows:

i. Brokenbridge: $3,070.17

ii. Nordenfjord: $1,280.01

iii. Gilded Pearl Guild: $128.20

2. These items held in trust because while all cantons have their own exchequers,not all have their own bank account.

3. The Gilded Pearl Guild’s money has been on our books for quite some time, and very little has been heard from them. Therefore, Baron Francesco motions that if the Guild does not claim the money we are holding for them, pending East Kingdom approval and compliance, we put the money towards the coronets. Jarl Valgard seconds. After some discussion, the motion is tabled until we have approval from the Kingdom and word from the Guild.

C: Whyt Whey Seneschal, Lady Alienor Salton, read by Lady Beatrice

1. We have a new herald, Mathghamhain Ua Ruadhain, who trained, and then consulted at Herald’s Point this Pennsic. He was elected at the lively and well attended commons meeting on the 18th of August.

a. At this same meeting, 6 of our 7 officers signed the petition for the changing of our canton’s arms, as per our vote last April. Our herald will submit the petition to Yehuda, the Blue Tyger Herald.

b. Our former herald is now our voice herald, and deputy to the current herald.

2. The canton mailing list is now on the East Kingdom server.

a. The Yahoo! Group is deprecated, and once the archives are copied over, it will be deleted.

3. Plans are afoot for a schola in the new year. Research into the location is underway, and once that is done, we will look for a good time for the event on the event calendar.

4. There is much excitement about the upcoming Cloisters demo. Every year, the Cloisters hold a Medieval Days festival, to which we, and many other groups are invited. It is one of our largest demos, and this year is on 18 September.

a. This year, we are looking forward to having proposed cooking and metalwork demos, as well as classes, which will be held in a central popup.

b. Proposed classes include naalbinding, calligraphy, sprang, and arrow­making. There will be 4 1­hour classes with a mini­Court at the end, at the suggestion of the Viceregal heirs.

c. There will also be a concert, and a fashion show. The rehearsal for the concert will be at our next meeting, on 15 September. The fashion show is informal, with cards being handed out to those who wish to participate. Once you fill them out with whatever details about your clothes you wish, our voice herald will read them out.

d. We need more volunteers for the children’s table. There will be paper dolls for the children. We are adding a youth combat area

e. If you can bring pop ups, folding chairs, and/or tables, please contact the seneschal.

f. We are also looking to have the green and white. Lord Ervald recommends contacting Baron Ian.

g. Lord Ervald notes that there will be an armored combat group down in the arena area

D: Northpass Report, THL Thomas the Constable, read by Lady Beatrice

1. We are preparing for Barleycorn. Please remember to get your reservations in assoon as possible, as space is really filling up!

E: Knight Marshal, Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver

1. We suspended Monday night fighter practice due to Pennsic, but will be up again, starting this coming Monday.

a. Before the suspension, we had 3­5 fighters, with a good mix of experienced and new people.

2. There are currently no plans for Sunday special fights at Sword class, althoughwe are looking at having at least 2 more before the end of Jarl Valgard’s term.

3. There was no official Ostgardr force at Pennsic, although we had 4 fighters there,and Luther won the Unbelted championship.

4. There are currently 2 people considering taking on the mantle of the Knight Marshal.

a. Marshals must renew their warrants and report, although the procedure to report has not yet been put out.

5. We do have loaner gear, and are able to get whatever pieces might be needed.

6. Jarl Valgard motions to thank Jibril for marshalling at Pennsic. Sir Gui seconds,and the motion is passed by acclamation. There is a round of Vivats, and formal thanks and perhaps a card will be sent.

F: Fencing Report, delivered by Lord Alexander Maclachlan, Deputy Fencing

1. There has been some turnout to fencing practice, with one or two people coming.

a. If fighter practice is canceled, fencing practice will also be canceled.

2. We are currently without loaner gear.

a. At the suggestion of the meeting, Lord Alexander will put together a wishlist.

3. Targai may have indoor fencing space in the fall. They are part of historic arms,just north of Fort Tryon.

a. We are currently looking for other space locations for when the weather gets colder: please contact the Fencing Minister with suggestions

G: Arts and Sciences Minister Report, THL Lada Monguligin

1. There was a lot of A&S at Pennsic. The display was very plentiful, and some Ostgardr members displayed works, while other taught classes. Many thanks to all who came out and represented the Province so well.

a. The East Kingdom took the war point

2. There will be a mongolian themed challenge at Barleycorn. There is also the Barleycorn memorial brewing contest, which needs more judges and people entering.

3. There are 2 A&S events coming up: Musicians’ Day, and Goat’s Tavern.

a. Goat’s Tavern is still looking for classes, contact the autocrat if interested.It must be winter themed.

H: Lions End Report, Countess Brekke Franksdottir, OP, OL

1. We had no meeting in August due to Pennsic. The next meeting is sometime in September, although the usual location is closed for labor day. They are looking for alternative locations for September.

I: Chatelaine Report, Lady Sofya

1. We have a great supply of gold key, which keeps growing.

2. Would all cantons please confirm with the Chatelaine as to whether their Chatelaines are active, and whether they are her contact person. Her list is currently as follows:

a. Countess Brekke for Lionsend
b. Lilly Redtowers for Brokenbridge
c. Lady Angelica for Whyt Whey

3. Lady Sofya needs a list of what is happening when, and who to contact. Please remember to notify the Chatelaine about your events, practices, demoes, etc.

a. We are working towards having a unified calendar, but need the information first.

4. A reminder that the Chatelaine’s table always needs volunteers. If you are able, please contact the Chatelaine.

J: Archery Report, Lord Suuder

1. Archery is continuing to happen on Sundays, although we had a hiatus for Pennsic.

a. Pancake and Mongo were on the Champion’s team for Archery

b. The East won the archery point.

2. We are very happy to have new people showing up at Archery.

K: Brokenbridge Seneschal, Lord Suuder

1. We have a new deputy seneschal, Brandr, who has been updated with the by­-laws.

a. Ragnarr Bliskeg is the deputy’s deputy.

2. There is a commons meeting next Friday at Norana’s house

a. We may have a new A&S minister at the time.

L: Herald’s Report, Mongo Chinua

1. He has been copied on Whyt Whey’s arms being submitted to Blue Tyger, and notified of the new herald for Whyt Whey.

2. There was a small court at Pennsic, but were no changes in the Order of Precedence.

M: Historian’s Report, Master Richard the Poor

1. History continues to happen. If it happens around you, please contact Master Richard the Poor.

N: Deputy Chronicler’s Report, Master John Elys

1. The July/August eHorse was sent out August 1st.

O: Webminister’s Report, Arnora Kettilsdottir

1. Lionsend is still waiting for assistance, but they require a password

2. All East Kingdom email addresses have been updated. If you cannot or have not accessed your email, please contact Arnora.

3. We have a google calendar, and are trying to allow all cantons and officers to be able to create events on the website’s google calendar.

4. We are setting up a Website content subcommittee.

a. Sir Gui, Lady Beatrice, and Arnora volunteer, with Alexie asked to help since he is a photographer.

b. We are still collecting permission forms for the website. Please contact Arnora if you need the forms.

II. Viceregal Comments

Everyone seems to be still be having fun. Thanks so much to those who show up to meetings and do work. We get a lot done and it seems that people are still energetic to do everything, which is great. If you have any business at the last court, please contact the Heralds as soon as possible.

III. Viceregal Heirs Comments

Many people have been saying they will be coming to Barleycorn. Please bring your Seastars and show them off at Barleycorn, to show Ostgardr pride. If you have any business at the first court, please contact the Heralds as soon as possible, and specify to which court your business applies.

IV. Recently Past Events

A: Pennsic

1. Pennsic was hot and sticky.

a. Many people participated in many events.

i. Lord Ervald participated in the Baronial Marshal Champions, Thrown Weapons, which was the first thrown weapons champions event.

ii. Jarl Valgard was complimented for being the best talker, when he extemporized a poem.

iii. Ostgardr potluck was well attended and many people liked it.

V. Upcoming Events

A. 09­11 September: Viceregal Investiture at “John Barleycorn” Autocrat: Northpass, Wilhelm

1. There will be an archery shoot for tourney prizes, as well as the rapier championship and other fencing.

2. There is a test on heraldry and history for fighting in the heavy tourney.

3. All are encouraged to come!

4. For those with old tabards, please bring them, as Lady Sofya will replace them with new tabards.

5. Check the event website for updated information!

B. 24 & 25 September: Queens Farm, Autocrat: Baron Ian If questions are had for Ian and Katherine, they should be contacted, their contact info is on the East Kingdom calendar, and they are in contact with the autocrat. Val will be unable to attend, so Lord Ervald is deputized, and will be the marshal on site.

C. 11­-13 November, Musicians’ Day Wilhelm is the registrar and we have a cook.

VI. Upcoming Demos

A. 18 September, Cloisters demo. Autocrat: Lady Alienor In addition to what was said in the Whyt Whey report above, Sir Gui notes that the fighting shows will depend on the temperature and the fighters available. There are currently 3 who plan on being in armor. For information on the schedule and the event generally, please visit the website, and contact Lady Alienor.

VII. Old Business:

A. “By­Law Committee” — To identify loopholes in the By­Laws to be fixed

1. No news to report, due to Pennsic. Committee consists of Baron Francesco, Master Richard, Countess Brekke, Master John, and Lady Beatrice. Lady Beatrice will email the committee and work on setting up a meeting.

VIII. New Business

A. Alexie ­ Dark Canton information search.

1. It was in Ostgardr, in CCNY. They are, and were, his frat brothers. He is in contact with a few of them, and one of them is an adjunct at CCNY. He is looking at restarting it as a College. Jarl Valgard is the adjunct. Alexi going into history department, and there is a process to start a club, he would like to restart it, and would like more information on starting a college from the club. Dancing, fencing, and non­heavy fighting he will have much more room. Alexi to start club, Jarl Valgard to advise.

B. Alexie ­ shoots at gotham archery ­ baltic between 2nd and 3rd in brooklyn.

1. They are looking to do more social events, having spoken to him, they are interested in hearing more about the group, and to see what kind of demo we would be interested in doing, as well as other kinds of fighting, including thrown weapons.

C. Sofya and Jackie interested in doing workshops

1. What are you interested in learning? Lady Sofya is looking to the cantons for information from the populace. With that information, they will make miniseries on hats, cotehardies, and any other kind of workshops that people want to and will attend.

D. Oct 29th ­ Cakewalk Cosplay

1. There is a Cakewalk Cosplay convention at the Hotel NY in Manhattan. For those interested, please contact Lord Ervald.

IX. Next THREE (3) Upcoming Meetings

A. September: Queen’s Farm on the 24th. Please see the website and FB group for updated information.

B. October: Lady Sofya

C. November: Lord Suuder and THL Lada

D December: Cancelled for the Holidays

X. Discussions… (Not Mentioned Above)

January officers meeting We are accepting letters of intent for Archery Captain, Exchequer, Knight Marshal, Minister of Lists, Arts and Sciences Minister, and Chatelaine.

XI. End of Meeting

End Time: 10:00pm
• Proposed: Mongo passes
• Seconded: Jarl Valgard
• Accepted / Denied: accepted unanimously.

Østgarðr Officer Corps

The Østgarðr Officer Corps Roster
❖ If no Seneschal is in attendance, then the meeting is Unofficial, but can continue as a discussion.
❖ If you are an Officer and will NOT going to be able to attend the Commons, please send your report to Lady Beatrice; (she is a Deputy Seneschal, “Recording Secretary.” She will read your Report and will also include it into the Commons Minutes.
❖ Quorum equals 11 Offices in attendance

Office
*: needs deputy Holder Term Ends at the beginning of…
Vicereine Baroness Johanne aff Visby [September 2016] Viceroy Sir Gui avec Cheval [September 2016] Viceregal Heirs THLady Lada Monguligin & Lord Suuder Saran [2021] Seneschal + Baronè Francesco Gaetano Grèco d’Edessa [2018] Emergency Deputy Seneschal: THLord Thomas the Northpass
Deputy Deputy Seneschal: THLord Mongo Chinua
Deputy Seneschal (Recording Secretary): Lady Beatrice della Rocca [2017] Exchequer Lady Angelica Di Nova Lipa [2017] Herald THLord Mongo Chinua [2018] Book Herald: + Baronè Francesco Gaetano Grèco d’Edessa
Knight Marshal Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver [2016] BrokenBridge (Seneschal) THLord Suuder Saran [2016] Lions End (Seneschal) Countess Brekke Franksdottir, OP, OL [2018] Northpass (Seneschal) THLord Thomas of Northpass [2017] Whyt Whey (Seneschal) Lady Alienor Salton [2018] Archery THLord Suuder Saran [2016] Fencing THLady Marion of York [2018] *Minister of Lists Baron Jan aff Visby [2016] Arts & Sciences THLady Lada Monguligin [2016] Chatelaine Lady Sofya of Ostgardr [2016] *Chamberlain Mistress Katherine Gilliesfleur [2017] *Chronicler Magistra Rufina Cambrensis [2018] Webmaster Arnora Ketilsdottir [2018] *Historian Master Richard the Poor of Ely [2017]

Ostgardr Commons (business meeting) 8/19

August Commons will be Friday, August 19, 2016 at the home of Norana Cantrell, 273 Argyle Road, 1st floor in Brooklyn. If anyone gets lost, the phone number is 917-297-2356.

Take the Q train to Cortelyou Road, walk three blocks left, and take a right on Argyle road.
Apartment 1.
There is a cat and small dog in residence.

The meeting will be available on Skype. But if anyone wants to access via Skype, they’ll need to email the Webminister at ArnoraKD [at] gmail [dot] com

Commons minutes June 2016

Crown Province of Østgarðr 17 June 2016

In Attendance:
1. Barone Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa–*Seneschal
2. THLady Lada Monguligin–*A&S
3. Lord Suudur Saran­ *Brokenbridge, *Archery
4. THLord Thomas the Constable of Northpass–*Northpass
5. THLord Alexander MacLachlan ­Deputy Fencing
6. Master Richard the Poor­ *Historian, Deputy Exchequer at Large
7. Lady Lillie RedTowers
8. Mungo Chinua­ *Herald
9. Countess Mistress Brekke Franksdottir­ *Lionsend
10. THLady Marion of York ­ *Fencing
11. Devra
12. Alexi
13. Lady Beatrice della Rocca ­ Recording Secretary

Report Sent In:

1. Lady Alienor Salton–WhytWhey
2. Lady Sofya Gianetta di Trieste–Chatelaine
3. Lady Angelica Di Nova Lipa–Exchequer

Quorum: 11 needed, 9 in attendance. Quorum not achieved.
Start Time: 8:00pm

I. Reports

A. Seneschal Report ­ Barone Francesco

I am still waiting for some officers to turn in their officer and deputy information sheets. If you have not sent them in, please do so.

Coronets as Regalia. Conor Ó Ceallaigh spoke to the Seneschal and mentioned that we do not have coronets. Previously, the Crown Province only had chains of office for the Viceregals, as Ostgardr was not considered to be on the same level as a barony. In the past few years, the Throne has considered the Province to be on the same level as a barony, and therefore is allowing us to have coronets, as well as chains of office. Conor is therefore offering to donate a stained glass panel for Barleycorn, so that we can raise money for the coronets. A discussion is had on whether we want to raise money for the coronets, or simply spend the money we already have. Master Yurgen of Northshield is recommended by Barone Francesco, whose coronet cost 480 and was a very custom job. As the meeting is not quorate, no vote is held, and discussion suspended until next meeting.

B. Officer Reports

1. Archery Report, Suudur
a. Archery practice has started up again, on Long Island, and thus far has been well attended. Suudur regrets being unable to attend as many practices as he would like, due to a new job

2. Brokenbridge Seneschal ­ Suuder

There will be a meeting set for the middle of next month, see the website and mailing list for more information!

We need to check with the webmistress to confirm that we are on the Kingdom server

Viking day was very successful, it had a great showing, although there were no fighters aside from youth fighters. There were fencers, but they did not fence in our lists. Targai, Marion, Akelina, King of Acre stopped by. They were happy with us again and expect us next year. We made 400 off of it. There is a discussion on whether the money will be split between Brokenbridge and Ostgardr, as it had been policy to split the funds.

A&S classes and meetings are happening, at Anneke’s house. The last class was a naalbinding class.

3. Northpass Seneschal ­ Thomas

Northpass is preparing for Barleycorn 25 and the Investiture of the Viceregals. Links are on the website, please check it out. Volunteers are always welcome

There are no elections coming up, positions are set as per the list given to Barone Francesco

4. A&S ­ Lada

Beadmaking class that was originally set for tomorrow is cancelled due to the teacher breaking their leg, and will likely be rescheduled for after Pennsic.

There is an arrow-making class happening tomorrow in Northpass. The class is still open, and is over at Wilhelm’s house.

5. Lions End ­ Brekke

Lions End held a meeting and an election. She needs to followup with people and will send in a report later.

Meetings are at the Levittown Library on the 1st Monday of the month.

Please check website for details

6. Herald ­ Mungo
a. Quarterly report was submitted. The herald is still learning the position

7. Fencing ­ Marion

We had some fencing last week at Eternalcon, there were 3 fencers Saturday and 4 on Sunday.

We may have a fencing practice starting up at Swordclass on Sundays between 4 and 6 pm. Cost is $5 a person, and is contingent on there being enough interest.

8. Exchequer ­ sent by Angelica, read by Beatrice

Currently banked funds total $12,877.12: $7,036.89 in savings, and $5,840.23 in checking.

We received a $400 check for the Riverfest demo that has not yet been deposited.

Ostgardr Seneschal and Exchequer have been added to the bank account as signers

Upcoming Viceroy and Vicereign will be added after their Investiture

As per last month’s meeting, the Guilded Pearl matter remains open, pending a decision by the members.

9. Chatelaine ­ sent by Sofya, read by Beatrice

We had a generous donation to our gold key inventory by Heather Stanley from Brokenbridge. She had been holding onto various items her mother wore in the SCA and thought they would be of more use to us. Ervald and I picked up the items a few weeks ago which included a box of various sewing patterns. I’ve sorted through most of the gold key and don’t know what to do as of yet with the various patterns but will work with others to find the right home or use for them. I thanked her from all of us.

Riverdale RiverFest: Although the weather did frighten some people away it did hold off enough to have a decent number of people stop by and look at our displays. We didn’t have a lot of people sign up (about 15 emails) but those who did were asking a lot of questions.

EternalCon; June 10th­-12th: EternalCon was a success! Although we were competing with Southern Region War practice which reduced our volunteer resources and entry passes were limited by the venue, we came together and were able to make a weekend event that surpassed my expectations.

i. Our success, to me, was greater than the number of emails/numbers, although we did well with over 50 contacts. We even have a recruit from the demo who is planning on attending Whyt Whey’s A&S night, June 16.

ii. We gained tremendous exposure and a possible future invite to next year’ event. This year was about proving our place at EternalCon and I believe we did.

iii. Frank, the organizer of EternalCon, has been looking into creating a medieval themed event in Long Island and he definitely wants us involved. A site has been located and now it’s just a matter of them working out the event and getting back to us. I will keep everyone informed when I hear of further details.

iv. While at EternalCon I had a moment to speak to another comic convention promoter, Mike Carbonaro, an organizer of various comic conventions in New York City, who agreed to have the SCA participate in his yearly ‘Big Apple ComicCon’ which will take place Saturday, March 4, in Manhattan. I don’t know how much room he is giving us but I will work out the details with him later and will present for approval.

v. Our members were also photographed and videoed by various news reporters and photographers.

I believe the SCA was promoted and seen in a very positive light and I’m very proud of how this demo turned out.

10. Whyt Whey ­ sent by Alienor, read by Beatrice

We are on course for the Cloisters demo. Parking passes and arranging to pick up the green and white will be much as usual, to be arranged later. New elements include a fashion show (live models wearing whatever you happen to be wearing that day) and a chorale, singing from our canton songbook (copies available on our website).

Picnic in the Park is not likely to be scheduled this year. Will try again next year.

Our new device and badge have been submitted to Yehuda, Blue Tyger, submissions herald for the East. The process takes about 8 months. We are eagerly watching for progress through the system. Looking forward to making banners and tabards with the new device.

Our bank account is open and our exchequer has received the first bank statement.

A&S meetings are going brilliantly. Most recent class taught by Thorfinn on making wire rings was a huge hit. Pics in our Facebook group. Next meeting will be Pennsic prep: finish hemming & trimming that garb. Please keep an eye out for updates!

f. Website is coming along. Many thanks to Arnora, our provincial webminister for making a global shared calendar. Also to the society archivist for providing scans of the original artwork for canton members’ devices, now serving as our website banner. Usability review by EK web staff coming soon­ish. Next content to be added will be output from our A&S gatherings (photos, how­tos, etc.)

Barone Francesco notes ­ if absent, please send reports to officer’s list or to the recording secretary

C. Viceregal Comments

D. Viceregal Heirs Comments

We want 2 things at Barleycorn. First, we would like for everyone to reach out to old scadians, and get them to come back and enjoy themselves. At investitures, display all Sea stars, provincial regalia etc. Show all the stars!

II. Recently Past Events

A. Riverdale Riverfest — 05 June (Autocrat: Lady Elionora)

Suuder ­ Event was lightly attended, we had several fighters showed, some from Northkingdom. People liked it, despite weather and put on best show that we could with fighters as the main draw. At day’s end, all go put away with expediency. People there enjoyed us, and the young fighters from the north enjoyed themselves. Marshal was Sir Valgard and Sir Gui, and Big Luigj, who brought his pell and supervised kids.

B: New Dorp Highschool Demo ­ Comiccon

Lada ­ We were asked to attend at the last minute, a convention organized by the teachers for the students. We had a good turnout, with a few fighters, Austin, Scott, Ronin and Jay, under one marshal, Roger Yonge, one of Sir Gui’s squires. Got about 2 pages worth of names, which have gone to Sofya. Had people stop by, we were the only group outside, but others got moved indoors once the weather turned. School loved us, they are doing it again next year, and will be asking us to come. Do not yet have a date, and will give us whatever space we want. Really good for a short notice demo. Got a bit of a spot on NYU1, although we were mislabeled as larpers.

III. Upcoming Events

A: We received a missive from the Kingdom of Acre. Their autumn crusade is Sept 16­18th and we are invited. The event is in Connecticut. Friday night there will be torchlight tournament, please check with Lada for more information.

IV. Upcoming Demos

A. Queens Farm — 24 & 25 September (Autocrat: Baron Ian)

Queens Farm demo is still on, and they still have pig races. Please see Autocrat for more information.

B. Cloisters — 18 September

The Cloister’s Medieval Faire demo is our largest event of the year, during which they bring upwards of 3.000 people through the gates. Please see Alienor’s report for more details.

V. Old Business:

A. Viceregal Investiture at “John Barleycorn 2016”

1. Change of RP status on EK Website? Has gotten RP status ­ Suuder working with Wilhelm to change in the event listing. He has been a tremendous help. Negotiations with Wilhelm also go through Thomas

B. “By­Law Committee” — To identify loopholes in the By­Laws to be fixed

1. Committee has not yet met, Beatrice to look up members and get a meeting together.

VI. New Business

A. The new position of “Deputy Seneschal – Scribe”, has changed to “Deputy Seneschal ­ Recording Secretary.” It is an appointed position, and currently held by Beatrice della Rocca

VII. Next THREE (3) Upcoming Meetings

A. July: CANCELED for Pennsic
B. August: Norana has offered her place. Address is forthcoming
C. September 16th: Northpass ­ Thomas at the beach, a definite maybe.

We are always open to new locations! If you know of any, please contact the Seneschal to arrange.

End Time: 9:17pm
• Proposed: Brekke move to adjourn
• Seconded: the room
• Accepted / Denied: passed by acclamation

Ostgardr Commons – August 19th

I’m happy to host Ostgardr commons on August 19th.

My address is 273 Argyle Road, 1st floor in Brooklyn. If anyone gets lost, my phone number is 917-297-2356.

Take the Q train to Cortelyou road, walk three blocks left, and take a right on Argyle road.
Apartment 1.
There is a cat and small dog in residence.

I’ll put the meeting on Skype. But if anyone wants to access via Skype, they’ll need to email me at ArnoraKD [at] gmail [dot] com at least two days ahead of time to get the info and do a test call.

-Arnora/Norana Cantrell