- “Brunch with Cadfael”, Third Sundays of the Month (more or less):
- Baroness Johanna opens her home at 658 53rd Street, Brooklyn around 1-2 pm for brunch (including her yummy cinnamon buns!), small projects and videos featuring medieval subject matter from all over the world.
- Archery Practices: All archery practices listed below require traditional bows without modern accessories, and wooden shaft arrows. Loaner gear is available for newcomers on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Staten Island, Willowbrook Park
- Run by Lord Suuder of Silver Horde. These practices are posted on the local email lists, with cancellations the morning of the practice if weather interferes. Practices generally start between 1-1:30, and end whenever people get tired. There are barbeque pits and picnic areas near the range, so there can be other activities at this practice, including heavy weapons practice. There is ample parking. This is a free practice. No crossbows are allowed per NYS law. Directionshere.
- Nassau County, Long Island, Cedar Creek Park
- Run by Lady Arnbjorg Nilsdottir. These practices are posted on the local email lists, with cancelations the morning of the practice if weather interferes. There is ample parking, and after Memorial Day, if you are not a Nassau County resident, the park charges a $10 parking fee. The practice itself is free. No crossbows per NYS law.
- Seeking event steward and other crew chiefs for the “Test of An Dubhaigeainn and Østgarðr”, to take place in early June 2014. If you’re interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A number of Østgarðr officer positions will expire at the end of December; see list of openings and procedures for nomination below.
The following positions on the Ostgardr Officer Council will have their terms end on December 31, 2013:
- Minister of Lists,
- Marshal of Fence,
- Thrown Weapons Captain,
- Chamberlain, and
Descriptions of the requirements for being a provincial officer may be found in the Ostgardr bylaws.
All those gentles interested in serving in one of these positions, including all current officers seeking to renew for an additional two year term must submit a letter of intent to the Viceregents and the seneschal by November 15, 2013. The letter of intent must include:
- Position you are seeking
- Legal Name
- Sca name
- Sca member number and expiration date
- Home address (with zip code and county)
- Phone number
- Length of activity in the crown province
- List of current/prior offices in the Sca, if any
- Additional information
If any of the officers current serving in the above positions do not wish to serve an additional term, but are willing to serve if no other suitable candidates arise, please say so in your letter of intent.
The list of candidates for each position will be posted by November 20, 2013. Approval of candidates will happen after that date with officers being selected by and beginning their new terms on January 1, 2014.
Many thanks to those who volunteer.
It was another busy summer for demos: Viking Day on May 12, Riverdale Riverfest on June 24, Queens County Fair on September 22 and 23, and the Cloisters on September 30. At the Cloisters, M. Antonius Scaevola became the Champion of Armored Combat.
In the autumn, a new procedure for officer terms and elections was put in place. All offices would be on two-year terms, with a limit of two consecutive terms. The major Provincial offices were put on a schedule to change over at the beginning of the calendar year, with the offices divided on alternate years so that there would never be a huge changeover of key offices in any one year. At the start of 2013, several offices changed hands. The new officers were:
Seneschal: Friderich Grimme
Minister of A&S: Lada Mongguligan
Chatelaine: Sirhan al-Cyani ibn Atai akarel Diablu
Knight Marshal: Valgard Stonecleaver
Seneschal – Lions End: Francesco Greco de Edessa
Seneschal – Whyt Whey: Eularia Trewe
A “Musician’s Day” event was held on January 23, after having been postponed from the previous November.
The Province hosted Crown Tournament on April 27. During Viceregal court, Lord Suuder was made a Sea Lion, Melanie de la Tour and Ysenda MacBeth were inducted into the Order of the Seahorse, and Þòrmundr inn Iandverski was made a Sea Dog.