Commons Minutes for June 2018

The June commons meeting was held June 15 at the home of Apollodora and Francisco in Northpass. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attending

Total of 29 people, of whom 6 were remote via video conference.

  • Suuder Saran, Viceroy — by video conference in transit and then in person
  • Lada Monguligin, Vicereine — by video conference in transit and then in person
  • Brennan mac Fearghus, King of the East — by video conference
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal, Webminister
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal, Deputy Webminister
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Rufina Cambrensis, Chronicler — by video conference
  • John Elys, Deputy Chronicler — by video conference
  • Richard the Poor of Ely, Historian, Deputy Exchequer
  • Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal — by video conference
  • Apollodora of Delphi, Deputy Chatelaine, Deputy MoAS
  • Buenaventura Miguel Rivera de ponte roto, Northpass Exchequer
  • Wilhelm Larsson, Northpass Webminister
  • Grettir Bjarnylr, Northpass Chamberlain
  • Francisco Duraes, Brokenbridge Chronicler
  • Alissa
  • Donnchadh mac Eóin — by video conference
  • Friderich Grimme — by video conference
  • Gibbes Morrys
  • Jacqueline Loisel
  • Lilie Dubh inghean uí Mórdha
  • Luigi Vascili
  • Thomas of Northpass
  • Aurora ffolkes
  • Vladimir
  • Zillah

Absent Officers

  • Beatrice della Rocca, Chatelaine
  • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
  • Erich Guter Muth, Minister of Lists
  • Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
  • Brekke Franksdottir, Lions End Seneschal
  • Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal

The meeting was called to order at 8:00.

The Seneschal called attention to several items from the submitted reports.

Officer Positions

  • Thank you to Francisco de Braga for stepping up as deputy exchequer.  To Francisco and anyone else who is interested in serving in our exchequerate, please submit your letter of intent by July 1st.
  • Letters of intent for historian are also due by July 1st.  Rumor is that we have two interested candidates. More would be welcome.
  • To new deputy chatelaine Seònaid, vivat!  You can reach her at deputy.chatelaine@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org.
  • Currently seeking deputy chronicler and webminister for the province.
  • Seeking seneschals for both Lions End and Northpass.  Lions End is moving into hiatus at the end of June, when Brekke steps down, giving it a chance to re-energize and regroup over the summer.
  • Reports from MoAS, Herald, Knight Marshal have either been filed or inquired about.

Recent Demos

  • Continuing to move towards electronic information sharing at demos.
  • Viking Day ad promotion was successful, despite the event itself raining out.  People at Brooklyn Pride festival mentioned having seen it.
  • Farmingdale was well-attended and fun. Many thanks to our neighbors in An Dubhaigheainn for coming out in support.
  • Brooklyn Pride was highly successful on the initial contact recruiting front.

Upcoming Events

  • New demo at Adelphi, Aug. 26th.  A&S only, lots of space available.  [Report from Donnchadh.]
    • Demo at Adelphi
    • Can do cooking, put up tents, but no fighting.
    • Weekend of move in so lots of foot traffic.
    • All A&S. Room for popups. Will get info on precise location.
    • If it rains we can use classrooms.
    • Faculty contact is reaching out to history and other departments to spread notice.
    • Contact Donnchadh for info, and how to participate.
    • Also open to people from off campus.
  • Newcomers event needs planning.  Volunteers to work with Apollodora and Beatrice?
    • Newcomers event — we want to do this but don’t have a place or schedule
    • Maybe in the fall after Cloisters et al
    • Vika: Also have newcomers track at Whyt Whey schola.
  • Fabric donations [failing which, finance committee, $$] for newcomers garb at Northern Østgarðr A&S next weekend?
    • Fabric donations for northern-Ost newcomers garb session
    • May also fund purchase of a bit of additional fabric
    • Send RSVPs to Jacqueline
    • Zillah: I have some fabric I might be able to share
  • Queen needs favors!  Folks with an embroidery machine, please consider contributing.
  • The Coronet Committee has received a couple of design submissions, but is still seeking additional proposals.  Folks who are interested are encouraged to draw out their ideas and send them in soon!
  • Please volunteer for a shift at EK50 to watch over our display.  Fri & Sat, 9-5. Lady Sofya will be posting a sign-up sheet.
  • How many copies of the Best of Seahorse should we print?
    • 12 pages?
    • 15 cents
    • –  do we know how many pages it is?
    • finance committee will meet after the commons
    • [finance committee conclusion: have 5 volunteers print 20 copies each]
  • Pre-reg (for ease of troll only, land allocation is closed) ends tomorrow (Sat., June 16th).  Mathghamhain is our land agent.

Local Activities

  • All outdoor practices have resumed and seem to be going well.
  • New bardic circle is starting next week adjacent to the Wednesday Central Park fencing practice.
  • By-laws committee: Mistress Katherine (EK seneschal) has offered to review our current by-laws for compliance with kingdom law.  Vote carried to ask for Katherine’s feedback.
  • Committee is not progressing — vote carried to dissolve & reform.  Will reconstitute at next commons.
  • Have emailed Southern Region deputy & EK seneschal to inquire about Regional Waiver Secretary.  “That’s a good question!” Will report back.

Upcoming Events

  • Blood & Axes [report from Wilhelm].
    • Wilhelm: Fewer reservations than last year
    • – last year was 30
    • – no reservations yet
    • – expect lower attendance, but budget still clears
    • – site tokens were requested but not budgeted [finance committee approves $30 budget addition for site tokens]
    • Piglet: can we promote on social media?
    • Apollodora what areas? Northpass
    • [finance committee approves 2 promotions, one for Westchester & another for Putnam, up to $30 each; Lada will manage the promotion]
    • Wilhelm: do we need someone in particular to manage the gate
    • [finance committee: Richard the Poor volunteers; will need assistance as gate is far from amenities]
    • Site is Putnam Memorial park
    • Need to update event listing for check information
  • Queens Farm is going up on the EK event calendar shortly.  Ian is event steward.
  • Cloisters demo needs an event steward.

Upcoming Meetings

  • July 20th, at Ervald’s workplace (Sussman Automatic)  in Long Island City, will feature a bardic concert. Location is not accessible — up one flight of stairs.  Ervald will check if freight elevator can be made available. Site address will be added to the calendar event.
  • August 17th, post-Pennsic social gathering in Astoria Park.  Sofya will confirm no events are scheduled in the park for that date.  In case of rain, will retreat to her home, which is nearby.
  • Sept. 21st, we will try to use MeetUp.  Erich needed to confirm availability and let us know the exact location.
  • Please check your local diners for side room possible gathering locations!  We need to host our commons in larger, more public spaces. People’s homes are too intimate.

Upcoming Events

  • Blood and Axes
  • Novice Day
  • Pennisc
  • Barleycorn
  • Cloisters
  • Queens Farm
  • Goat’s Tavern
  • Whyt Whey Schola: looking for space
  • An Dubh’s St. Andrews
  • Musicians’ Day – no problems; will be recruiting teachers at EK 50
  • Rusted Woodlands’ 100 Minutes
  • Decameron: blow-out event for the province.  Finance committee met afterwards to review budget.  Will confirm this coming weekend.

Gender Identity

  • Pronouns!!  Please respect them.  [Report from Apollodora.]
    • Review of non-binary and trans.
    • Don’t be a douchebag.
    • People take it seriously, suicide rates are high.  You can save a life by accepting people’s stated gender identity.
    • “They” is historically valid.
    • Q: what about “lord / lady” equivalent?  College of arms is working on non-gendered alternatives.
    • Also consider using non-gendered language when addressing a large group, “gentles” can replace “ladies & gentlemen”.
    • If you mis-step, just apologize and move on.  Don’t make it about yourself.
    • Sofya: we’re moving towards this in my mundane professional practice

Other Business

  • Ervald reports that storage space is still needed for 4-5 duffle bags of loaner armor.
  • – Zillah in Garrison
  • – Mathghamhain on Upper West Side
  • Ervald will check with fighters to see who among them can take an extra duffle, for ease of getting them to practices.
  • Lilie: showers at EK 50 are quarter / 5 min.  Bring shower shoes
  • Friderich: request from novice day for loaner gear; can he bring np gear?
  • Wilhelm: was approved in Northpass commons
  • Richard: do we have old seahorse badges? like nice ones from decades ago?
  • i have a squirt gun?
  • Sofya: no room for extras on the EK50 display table.
  • Richard: should we get more for future awards?
  • Lada: we inherited some
  • Suuder: everyone contact us if you did not receive order regalia

Closing

Meeting ended at 8:55.


Viceregals • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

Our Heavy Champion Ozurr the Bootgiver has become the Queen’s Champion at Kings and Queens Armored Championship in the Barony of Bergental.  We are extremely proud. Hooray!!

For those going to Pennsic and camping with Østgarðr, please get your pre-reg’s in by tonight as it closes tomorrow.

Thanks to all who came out to the demos last weekend.  You’re all wonderful.

The vicereine urges all who have embroidery machines to lend them to the service of producing Queen’s favors.

Seneschal • Alienor Salton

Northpass hiatus meeting was held last Tuesday, June 5th.  Discussion was wide-ranging and constructive.  Minutes are posted in various places. Next step in the process is letters of intent for candidates for the office of Northpass seneschal.  Date for follow-up meeting will be set before then.

Upcoming events now sponsored by Østgarðr: Blood & Axes, the weekend of July 7th, stewarded by Wilhelm.  John Barleycorn, the weekend of September 8th, stewarded by Wilhelm and Archubeas. Goat’s Tavern, the weekend of October 20th, stewarded by Oliver.  Is the White Plains library demo, penciled in for August 25th, still on? [Ed.: word from Northpass is that this demo has been canceled.] If the canton comes out of hiatus before the events in question, sponsorship will return to Northpass.  It is unlikely that the suspension will be lifted before Blood & Axes.

Open provincial officer positions: Northpass seneschal (must be a Northpass resident; submit letter of intent to EK seneschal, seneschal@eastkingdom.org). Lions End seneschal (must be a Lions End resident); Østgarðr webminister, historian & exchequer (submit letter of intent to Østgarðr seneschal, seneschal@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org).  All letters of intent are due by July 1st. http://ostgardr.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/open-provincial-offices-webminister-historian-exchequer/  Our chronicler is seeking a drop-dead deputy, please email seahorse@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org if interested.

EK50 pre-registration ends the day after our commons — June 16th.  Pre-registering for land allocation has already closed.  Mathghamain Ua Ruadháin is our land agent.

Viking Day was rained out, Farmingdale and Brooklyn Pride demos were highly successful.  We have been invited back for the Saturday of Father’s Day in Farmingdale next year.  We are putting both the Brooklyn Pride festival and NYC Pride Parade on our calendar for next year.

New demo Sunday, August 26th, at Adelphi, spearheaded by Donnchadh mac Eóin.  Public Safety on campus has said no combat demos, so this will be an A&S demo, with cooking allowed.  No limit on space, so we can use lots of popups, and there is indoor space in case of inclement weather.  Current concept is a mini-schola, with lots of classes. Donnchadh requests volunteers and planning assistance.

Newcomers event has been suggested by both Lady Beatrice and Apollodora Alethes of Delphi but we have made no further progress in planning.  Any volunteers to work on it with them? There will be a newcomers garb-making afternoon in Northern Østgarðr on June 23rd, beginning at noon, at Baron Luigj Vascili and Baroness Jacqueline Helene Loisel’s home.  The focus will be on field garb for Pennsic and other events. Contributions of summer-weight fabric (4-6 yards of 60″ width or 5.5-7.5 yards of 45″ width) would be much appreciated. Please bring them to commons on Friday.

Dancing, fencing, heavy combat and archery practices have all resumed.  New bardic circle is forming, adjacent to fencing practice in Central Park.  First gathering is Wednesday, June 20th, weather permitting.  There is a youth activities (thrown weapons, archery, combat, A&S) morning hosted by our neighbor An Dubhaigeainn on Sunday, July 8th, 11am – 1pm, before their usual thrown weapons practice.

By-laws committee has made zero progress.  I respectfully suggest that we dissolve the current committee and re-form.  Mistress Katherine, EK seneschal, has offered to review our by-laws for compliance with current kingdom law.  I suggest we accept her generous offer of assistance and use that as the baseline for the new committee.

Exchequer • Angelica di Nova Lipa

  1. We have money.Checking:  $7,484.19
    Savings:    $7,068.62
    __________________
    Total:     $14,552.81As always, a portion of these funds is dedicated to other SCA entities, Brokenbridge and Nordenfjord.The amount which is solely Østgarðr’s is about $9,000.
  2. We’ve had an expression of interest in the Exchequer post from Lord  Francisco de Braga. Francisco, who has already proven himself an able contributor within the Province will begin as Deputy Exchequer, engage in training, and likely progress quickly and well into the formal post of Exchequer, with Provincial approval.

Chatelaine • Beatrice della Rocca

Gold Key: Gold key is present and accounted for.

Newcomers: We had two demos recently, that generated a huge amount of interest. Apollodora did some amazing work at Brooklyn Pride, and has already emailed those who signed up. We have about 20 or so people from Pride who were interested. I would very much like to devote more time and energy to this demo next year. Apollodora reports that they will need about 2-3 more people who are as knowledgeable as Suuder, who attended, and can direct people’s interest. Farmingdale generated 2 people, one of whom has a family. We are reaching out to them, and seeing how best we can help.

Paperwork at demos: We are moving away from pamphlets, because they are costly, and most people don’t read them. Instead, as most people have phones, we would like to point folks to our website or Facebook group. We are working with a few people to figure out how best to do this.

I would like to update the email signup sheet because we don’t take phone numbers, so there is no need for a column for phone numbers.

Deputy: As you know, I have taken Seònaid as my deputy. I will be including her on all sent and received emails.

I will not be attending this Friday’s meeting as I am assisting with an event out of Province.

Chatelaine Deputy for LGBTQIA • Apollodora of Delphi

We did the Brooklyn pride fest demo which went great! I highly recommend we do this every year plus more pride stuff in different areas!! I’m excited to teach about pronouns at commons, I would like to make this a regular thing. Teaching about marginalized groups.

Arts & Sciences • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

A&S Report-June

  • Ostgardr has been very active with activities and classes taking place throughout the Province.
  • Our Queen still needs favors! You can drop them off with me or at any royal progress event.

EastKingdom50

  • Ostgardr’s Hall of History for EK50 is near completion. Banners, scrolls, embroidery, appliques as well as historical documents and interviews have been completed or near completion. We hope to see you at the event.
  • We need people to volunteer an hour or two to watch over the display. Volunteering is a wonderful way to meet new people and share your EK SCA stories.  I will be posting a sign-up sheet soon. We need two days of coverage, Friday and Saturday, 9 to 5pm.

Coronet Committee

  • We are still seeking designs for field coronets for our Viceroy and Vicereine. Please submit designs to myself or Lady Angelica. Prize will be bragging rights and it seems a bottle of my limoncello. Thank you all who have submitted designs so far.

Herald • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

I’ve made contact with a former principal herald for Atlantia who is making inquiries about permission to conflict for our sea-urchin badge.

I haven’t handled any populace submissions this month, but hope to tackle a bunch at the start of July so that they beat the Pennsic rush — if you know anyone who’s looking for names or armory, send them my way.

Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre

No report submitted.

Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

I have held a regular weekly practice in Central Park, with 2-4 fencers attending.

I have gone to two practices in Northpass.  There were three of us at the first one, and four at the second.  But, only two of have any gear, and the second practice got canceled as the park that we use (Kensico Dam) was being used for a very pricey food event.  We’re trying again for this coming Thursday. The plan is to go every other week.

We had six fencers at the Farmingdale demo this past Saturday.  We two re-authorization, and had a small tourney, that Targai won.

I’ve let word out that we have $400 from Ostgardr for fencing supplies, but we really haven’t discussed it.

Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

No report submitted.

Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

No activity to report this month.

Looking forward to more events this coming month, and will be marshaling at EK 50, Blood and Axes, and the An Dubh youth day.

Minister of Lists • Erich Guter Muth

Nothing to report.

I won’t be able to make it to commons.

Webminister • Alienor Salton

Webminister is considered a major office, therefore I should step down.  Seeking new officer for this position. Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin is willing to continue as deputy, if desired.  Most desired trait for this role is enthusiasm for generating new content on the website, by recruiting content from other members or writing it oneself.

Made new email address for deputy chatelaine. Updated provincial Google calendar and our website’s calendar page, https://ostgardr.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/calendar/

Suggestion for event planning coordination — in addition to maintaining the Google document “Østgarðr Event Planning”, on the Østgarðr team drive, also add tentative events to the shared provincial Google calender, marked “Tentative: [event name]”.

We are testing videoconferencing for this commons, using Google hangouts, which supports up to 25 people.  Please email if you would like to be invited to the hangout. You will need to install the Hangouts app on your mobile device, or visit hangouts.google.com in your web browser.  I will initiate the video call to the invitee list shortly before the meeting convenes. You may then choose to join the hangout in progress. You may or may not receive an alert from Hangouts when the call starts — I believe that is a user-configurable setting.

Social Media Deputy • Apollodora of Delphi

The Viking fest promotion was very successful!! We reached tons of people! I had 3 people at the Brooklyn demo say they knew of us from our Facebook page. We’re getting tons of interactions on Instagram as well!

Chronicler • Rufina Cambrensis

I am unable to attend Commons in person this Friday, but hope to join the Google Hangout.

I have Release Forms on hand for nearly all the creative content providers for “Best of the Seahorse.”  I sent a message via Facebook to Lady Melanie de la Tour asking for her email address (so that I could email her a release form), but have received no reply.  If anyone can give me a current email address for Lady Melanie, I’d be grateful 🙂 (I have an email address I can try, but it’s from an email dated 2014….) [Ed.: address has been supplied.] If not, at least I have made a good faith effort to contact her, and the following exchange between me and the Kingdom Chronicler leads me to believe that that may be sufficient:

Me:  So…even though the articles were originally published before the release forms went into effect, I have to use the release forms?

EK Chronicler:  That is what I understand, though I woukdn’t [sic] worry if there are people you aren’t able to reach. It seems to me that if someone gave something to be published it means that they agree to make it public as long as you gave credit where credit is dew [sic].

And speaking of Best of the Seahorse, how many copies would you like me to print?  Suggestions welcome 🙂

In other news, I am looking for a drop-dead deputy.  Interested parties should contact me at seahorse at ostgardr dot eastkingdom dot org .

Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

The Green and White canopy and list markers have been safely returned to storage after the Lion’s End demo. The feast gear remains in Northpass.

Demo notice request: I hereby request permission to list the Queens County Fair demo , Sept. 22-23, on the Kingdom web site with myself as contact person.

Historian • Richard the Poor of Ely

History continues.

The Annals are being prepared for display (in book form) at EK50. I am also digging through my personal materials for items to display. Like the team photo from that MS Walkathon (any ideas as to who the unidentified people are, by the way?), a program from the 2004 Cloisters faire, back issues of the Seahorse…..

Lions End • Brekke Franksdottir

  1. A VERY LARGE “Thank You” to all who came out to the Lions End demonstration on June 9.  Since it was postponed from June 2, we did not have our expected array, but we did pick up others who complemented our group quite nicely.  Many thanks to our friends from Østgarðr, Northpass, and An Dubheaigainn, and to Grimbold, who came in from New Jersey (!) to help us out.  He had a beautiful display of pewter and bronze Viking Age things, including several bronze needles.  Jenna (who did most of the autocratting work, if truth be known – and it should be) also brought out her potter’s wheel and demonstrated its use, making several pieces which she will dry and fire.  Mistress Katherine and Master Ian were “out and about” for the first time since her accident, and she especially was delighted to be able to be present, even if she had to spend the day in her wheelchair.  Donnchadh, a new member of Lions End, displayed his calligraphy, and we had a lot of help from the Nassau contingent of the MSR, as well, primarily in the fighting and fencing fields.  Northpass sent us Wilhelm and Benjamin for dance, Richard the Poor for gaming (which Benjamin also helped with), and Ben, who assisted with the fencing. Whyt Whey sent Angelica, Alienor, and Alex, who demonstrated brass rubbings, braiding, and pell exercises, respectively, and our neighbors in An Dubheaigainn sent Saravit, Fiona, Logan, and Kiera, who helped with the fighting and the youth activities (which Angelica also assisted with).   Østgarðr proper sent us Ervald and Branimira. I never got to see either Aquilina’s mead-making or Duglas‘ and Arnbiorg’s display of their leatherworking and woodworking, but they all seemed to be drawing a crowd, and the exhibits and show-and-tell on armor are always crowd-pleasers.  There were many from Lions End, who helped out either in displays or on the list field, and everyone helped a very old, tired, and frazzled autocrat pull off an excellent demonstration.
    After most of you had left, the Fire Department (who had been worried that our demo might detract from their street fair) asked us to come back “same time next year” – on Saturday the week before Father’s Day.  It seems that our presence helped draw the crowds – as their fair most probably enhanced our attendance.
    We also have three names of people interested in contacting us; I will keep you posted.
  2. As many of you know, I am stepping down at the end of the month.  Lions End currently meets on the first Monday of the month at the Levittown Public Library, and for years our attendance has been dropping.  Our officer corps is small and inbred, and usually the only attendees are in the officer corps. There is no one to take my place, and Østgarðr, Southern Region, and Kingdom are permitting us to go on hiatus to restructure and rebuild.  The potential is there; we held a meeting on the second Friday of the month last winter after our Monday meeting (the second in a row “snowed out”) was canceled, at Jenna’s house. We had over double our usual attendance, not counting the Seneschal of Østgarðr, who also came in for it.  We will probably meet on a weekend over the summer to arrange a different meeting night and either a more central location or a rotating location in various members’ homes. Plans will be forthcoming later this month; the meeting will probably occur either on August 18 or September 1 (Labor Day Weekend).  It will probably be a pot luck barbecue or some such, unless our folks want something else.
  3. I cannot be at the meeting on the 15th as I will be in Huntington at a church educational conference from the 14th to the 16th, and attendance is mandatory at all sessions, including the two evenings.

Whyt Whey • Vika Grigina z Prahy

(Your humble correspondent will not be in attendance Friday; though if teleconferencing happens, can happily dial in.)

  • This month’s Solar is a lecture on “Powerful Viking Women”.  Next month’s will be general Pennsic prep discussion/help.
  • Next month is also our quarterly Commons.  Agenda includes soliciting volunteers to be the event steward(s) for the Cloisters demo; soliciting volunteers for deputy officers, which we’re running low on; and (hopefully) the results of investigations of possible event sites for a small schola in the fall.

Brokenbridge • Brandr Aronsson

Greetings to one and all from the Canton of Broken Bridge.  June Proved to be wet and wonderful.

Viking Demo Day was well attended. Had we brought our own Viking ship we might have been less wet. The rains did come but we toughed it out and our effort was much appreciated and noted by Victoria the event Organizer. We were also featured on the Channel 12 news. So that was fun.

Our Pennsic 101 commons class was small but fun with lots of new and old questions being answered.

Bacon Bridge was postponed for next June and we will find an appropriate location.

Many of us will be attending EK 50 and intend to have small Broken Bridge commons / Hangout meeting at the event.

This entry was posted in Commons. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *