- July 28, 2005: Baronial Review results, revised
Their Majesties have agreed with Ian and Katherine to initiate the process of choosing a new Viceroy/reine, but on a “less precipitous schedule” than previously announced (which was to start at Barleycorn this September).
To read more about the process of choosing new titular heads, please see East Kingdom Law, section VII, sections C and F.8. In brief, as I understand it,…
- Since the Viceroy and Vicereine are stepping down voluntarily, they will probably continue to serve until new office-holder(s) is/are chosen and invested, and there will be no need to appoint a Vicar.
- A poll of the populace may be held to determine whether the Crown Province wishes to retain its current status, become an ordinary Province (Baronial level, but with no titular head(s), or become a Shire. As far as I know, there is no public sentiment to change status, so I expect this will be skipped.
- Assuming the Crown Province chooses to remain a Crown Province, then another poll of the populace is held to determine the new titular head(s). The result of the poll is determined by simple majority; if no one candidate receives a majority vote, the Crown decides how to interpret the poll.
Each of the two aforementioned polls involves sending, by U.S. mail, a ballot to every paid SCA member who resides inside the Crown Province and is at least 14 years old. The deadline for returning these ballots will be at least one month and at most three months after the ballots are mailed. (If you want to be polled, you might want to get your paid membership in soon….)
All candidates for Viceregal positions must be at least 18 years old, reside inside the Crown Province, be paid SCA members, and not hold any other Provincial office during the candidacy (except as specifically permitted by the Crown).
The Viceroy writes:
[If you’re considering taking on the job of Viceroy/Vicereine,] please use the Pennsic War as a time to seek info on what it means to be a Territorial baron in the East and in the SCA. Speak to the Barons and Baronesses of our adjoining groups, Settmour Swamp and An Dubhaigeainn. Speak to Baroness Bridge, who has been in office almost as long as Katherine and me. Speak to Baron Salamallah, who retired a few years ago as Baron Beyond the Mountain. His games booth is opposite the barn. Come speak to Katherine and me. We want our successors to be able to nurture Østgarðr as we have. I do not yet know the timeline for the selection process. Katherine and I will be talking to Sir Edward after the war to get things going.
- Weather Forecast for Slippery Rock, PA
- Road construction between here and Pennsic: see State of Pennsylvania Interstate Highways for updates.
- Some pertinent Pennsylvania state traffic laws:
- When driving through a posted construction area, you must have your headlights on.
- Booster seats are required for children 4-8, and baby/child seats for infants and toddlers. See Pennsylvania state law concerning child safety seats.
- When driving through a posted construction area, don’t speed: 11 MPH over the speed limit can get your license suspended for 15 days.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Rights & Disclaimer
Copyright and other important information are available on the Rights and Disclaimer page.