Commons minutes for November 2021

November 2021 Minutes • Østgarðr Commons

The November commons meeting was held November 17. Here are the minutes/notes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin and edited by Alienor Salton. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attendance

Present

  • Suuder Saran, Il-Khan
  • Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal, Social Media
  • Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
  • Drasma Dragomira, Herald
  • Kunigunde Wedemann, Chancellor Minor 
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Youth Marshal, Whyt Whey Seneschal, Deputy Webminister
  • Marion of York, Minister of Lists
  • Friderich Grimme, Webminister
  • Zahra de Andaluzia, Chronicler
  • Albrecht Anker, Social Media Coordinator
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Historian
  • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
  • Ragnarr bláskegg, Brokenbridge Seneschal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Angelica di Nova Lipa, Deputy Exchequer
  • Brekke Franksdottir
  • Gibbs Moryss
  • Perez ben Meir Gershon
  • Jenna Childslayer
  • Oliver de Bainbrig
  • Hanya Vladimirovna Polotskaya
  • Edwin de la Torre
  • Berakha bat Mira v’Shlomo
  • Aurora ffolkes
  • Robyn of Østgarðr 
  • Marin il Gondolier
  • Garrath of Arden
  • Simon the Tanner

Absent Officers

  • Catelin Straquhin, Chatelaine 
  • Randve L’il Hammar, MoAS
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
  • Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
  • Katherine Gilliesfleur, Deputy Chamberlain

Opening 

  • Called to order at 7:30pm.
  • Seneschal: Thank you to all officers for submitting your reports before the meeting!
    • Hooray for Prince Ryouko’jin and Princess Indrakshi, Heirs to the Tyger Thrones!  
    • Hooray for Lady Godiva on her inclusion into the Order of the Maunche and Mistress Sofya on her Sovereigns Order of Excellence!  
    • Vivat to Lada, for her fleetness of foot in running the toy box at St. Andrew Visits Notre Dame!  
    • Vivant to Hanya and Berakha for their continued amazing work at keeping the arts and sciences in our crown province active and  afloat!  
    • Vivat to Albrecht, our new Social Media Coordinator!

Officer Report Items For Discussion

  • Lada & Catelin are working on a bid for Coronation using the Mt. Kisco site.
  • Garrath and Marin are working on a proposal for a new event, “So you want to be an outlaw?” to be held in April/May 2022 in our Great North Woods.  Join the Facebook group Ravenweald if you are interested in early Middle Ages (1066-1076) bush craft.  Arts and sciences event, teaching bushcraft skills, firemaking, lashing, building a tripod, making a period meal over an open fire.  Independent of the Forester’s guild, support them, but separate.  Objectives are teaching bushcraft, getting people into the woods, do quarterly historical hikes.  Cf., hiking like a viking.  Theme based around outlaw skills: forestry, would like to include archery and thrown weapons if site allows. No court, just lower-class folks learning skills.  Ferncliff in Rhinbeck has leantos and cabins and a firepit. Also looking at Blue Mountain Park and Veteran Memorial Park in Putnam.  Trying to avoid going further away so that we’re still accessible to folks from the city.
  • Oliver has submitted proposals for Bear’s Tavern (Feb. 25-27, event steward Thomas of Northpass) and Goat’s Inn (Oct. 21-23, event steward Oliver de Bainbrig), both to be held at Blue Mountain Lodge.  Goat’s will be a schola for families with the theme “preparing for winter”, might include classes by Ravenweald members as medieval outlaws would have to prepare for winter.
  • Aurora is proposing Barleycorn, Sept. 9-11, at the original site, Camp Morty in North Salem, NY.
  • Investiture may be on the table; Lada is talking to their highnesses about whether they can swing two events in the Crown Province next year.
  • fighter/fencer/dance practice at McCarren park will continue until it becomes too cold, which is soon.  Indoor sites under consideration include Manhattanville Community Center.
  • Next e-Horse deadline for submission is Nov. 29th.  That is also the deadline for entries to the caption contest.  Please send them directly to Zahra.
  • Randve is planning miniature documentaries of you, your persona, and your craft.  Please reach out to her to volunteer.
  • Alec MacLachlan and Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi are our candidates for seneschal.  Extended question and answer session was held, covering topics such as how will you run the commons meetings, whether to continue meeting virtually or move to a hybrid format, how to avoid dropping the balls on items discussed at the meetings, and so on.  To ask them any questions you have thought of after the meeting, please email Alec at 53751@members.eastkingdom.org and Uji at seneschal@lionsend.eastkingdom.org 

Meeting opened to both candidates for statements.

Alec: I think at this time we need an experienced seneschal. Especially with events including royal progress, and Covid on top. People might be interested in reviving Northpass. The possibility of Whyt Whey going dormant if nobody else steps up as seneschal. I was seneschal of Hawks Reach for about eight years. I’ve been involved in the province for a long time. 

Held positions of chatelaine and chronicler.

Recruitment is something we have to look at going forward. Caitlin has been doing a great job.

Uji: For those who don’t know me that well, I started in the SCA twenty six years ago, came in interested in brewing and archery, have pursued cooking and brewing. A few years ago, Lions End was in danger of going dormant and I thought that would be a step back that might be hard to recover from. I was deputy seneschal for a week and tapped to step up into the position. Lions End is relatively quiet and unassuming, we typically have two events a year, one schola and one demo. We’ve had great success with both of them, and boosted our bank account balance. I’m strongly in favor of promotion of the SCA and getting new people in; promotion, marketing, and recruitment has a negative connotation but it’s important . I’ve had success as seneschal, I’ve managed kitchens, I’ve run meetings for clubs outside the SCA. I look forward to getting to know people better. 

Friderich: if you’re not selected as seneschal, would you serve as emergency deputy for the other?

Uji: yes

Alec: Yes.

Albrecht: are you willing to embrace the digital and hybrid format that we’re using?

Uji: Yes, i’m a big fan of electronic communication, and whatever it takes to get the word out about who we are. I’ve been encouraging people to get their EK Wiki pages together and have been assisting people with that.

Alec: Yes, we should explore everything. I’m not the most tech-savvy person but I’ll depend on the technical people to make sure that things are running smoothly.

Lada: How would you describe your management style, especially regarding running meetings?

Uji: I tend to be organized, I’ll tend to set an agenda, starting with old business before new business. I’ve used Robert’s Rules of Order to great benefit. I try to make sure we have an orderly meeting. Joking is good, but we need to get business done.

Alec: you saw how I ran things when I was acting seneschal a couple of years ago. I like the way Piglet sends out officer reports in advance. I like to have a clear idea of the progress and will grill people as needed.

Ragnar: what are your thoughts about the current format for meetings?

Alec: I like the current format, especially with the cold weather. I’d like to eventually return to in-person meetings, but I’d like to incorporate virtual meetings. But I’ll hold off on that until people are comfortable gathering in person.

Uji: These Google Meet meetings have been excellent. But I miss in-person meetings. If and when we move to in-person meetings we’d do it as a hybrid meeting to allow online participation by people who can’t be there in person.

Friderich: Speaking as someone for whom the virtual meetings have been a boon, I’ve found that hybrid meetings are challenging as the folks who are online are excluded.

Alec: I’ve been thinking we need a moderator who keeps track of the chat, so that people who are online don’t get drowned out. It’s not going to be perfect, but it’s worth a try.

Uji: The social media officer might be a good choice to fill the moderator role for a hybrid meeting. We’d make an effort to give the floor to folks who are online.

Berakha: Attending in-person meetings is a challenge, so I’d like to add my voice to the folks who are concerned about virtual meetings. Sorry for beating a dead horse.

Uji: this isn’t a dead horse. It’s important that everyone in a meeting gets to have a voice.

Friderich: we might look into wide-angle web-cam and a cheap screen, so that the in-person people and the online people can see each other.

Kunigunde: As someone who lives in the north, any trip that involves going to the city limits is a big effort. And as a newcomer, this format has helped me get to know a lot of new people. For previous hybrid meetings, the folks who were online had trouble connecting to the people in-person. When my kids had the choice of in-person or hybrid school, the kids who were online were left out.

Sofya: In the past, under previous seneschals, we’ve had issues where ideas got brought up but then dropped. What strategies will you use to ensure that things that are brought up get kept though to the next meeting?

Uji: I had a good discussion with the current seneschal about what it takes to do her job and how much time it requires. I would continue the example she’s set.

Alec: I’d continue to keep collecting officers’ reports in person, and I take my own notes during the meeting. But we’re not such a big group that people can’t come up to me and raise issues to ensure they’re not dropped.

Jenna: While I like in-person meetings, given that we’re now meeting on Wednesday’s, logistically that’s a nightmare. Alternately, if we move to Friday nights we exclude a bunch of people on religious grounds.

Friderich: if the majority of people said they wanted to maintain an online format, would you consider that or is hybrid something you definitely want to pursue?

Alec: I’d like to try hybrid, but if it doesn’t work we’ll switch back. We’ll have to play it by ear. I know that traveling has a price in time and travel costs.

Uji: After hearing people’s concerns, perhaps the online format is the way to go if the majority wants to continue that.  We could bring it to a vote if folks want to switch, but I’d stick to online for now.

Garrath: A possible option is to have a online business commons and a rotating site in-person social commons as seem to be the two sections of a typical commons.

Ragnarr: How is the voting going to work?

Alienor: there will be a google form open through Dec 14

Mathghamhain: or any option approved for officer communication, such as email or hand delivery of written ballots to the seneschal.

Lada: please remind the populace of who is eligible to vote.

“The Officers Council and those in the Membership who are at least fourteen years of age are eligible to vote…” — Charter V.I.3.

Items of Interest from the Populace

  • Sofya and Angelica will be hosting beginning sewing classes, first being a sew-your-own t-tunic hosted at Sofya’s.
  • Ragnarr held a trial fix-your-armor session at his home, and will be hosting again for a larger audience over the winter December/January. You’re welcome to come hang out around the fire pit. Bring your armor and we’ll help you fix it.
  • Albrecht will be teaching a care-and-feeding of your sewing machine class at Deck the Halls (with a virtual 3-D machine!) and is willing to travel to check out problems with your sewing machine.
  • Perez is putting together a thematic cookbook similar to Three Princes; is currently test-cooking recipes. If you have dietary restrictions, reach out to him on Facebook or Discord and let him know what you need; he’d like to make sure there’s something for you.
  • A film student from NYU is working on a documentary about Whyt Whey; reach out to Mathghamhain if you are interested in being interviewed.

Committees and Projects

  • Østgarðr trim

    Designs are up for a vote, in comments on Facebook post in our group from Andrixos of Calontir Trim, or via email to Lada.  Voting is open until Nov. 22nd.
  • Site search

    Catelin & Lada have visited Snug Harbor on Staten Island.  Has potential for an indoor/outdoor RP-sized event like Rattan champs or Crown Tourney.  See photos and map in the officers report.  Viability in terms of kitchen space and cost will be evaluated next.
  • Financial committee

We have a number of proposed events (5-6) within Østgarðr in the next year, and need to meet to discuss the proposed budgets.  Alienor will follow up to schedule a Meet.

Upcoming Events/Activities

Sponsored within Østgarðr

  • fight/fence/dance practice, Nov. 23 (McCarren park, 7-10pm)
  • Cloisters visit, Nov. 28 (Fort Tyron park, 1pm)
  • Østgarðr bardic circle, Dec. 8 (online, 7pm)
  • Lions End commons, Dec. 10 (online, 8pm)
  • Whyt Whey commons, Jan. 6 (online, 7pm)
  • Deck the Halls of Valhalla, Jan. 29th (online 6-10pm, bardic championship, please volunteer to Eadwin to teach classes)
  • Bear’s Tavern, Feb. 25-27 (Blue Mountain Lodge, Peekskill)
  • So you want to be an outlaw?, April/May 2022
  • Lions End Spring Schola, spring 2022
  • Barleycorn, Sept. 9-11 (Camp Morty, N. Salem)
  • Goat’s Inn, Oct. 21-23 (Blue Mountain Lodge)

Of interest to the populace

  • 100 Minutes War, Nov. 20, Sparta, NJ: novice day, armored combat melee, youth combat, archery, thrown weapons, fencing; royal progress; reach out to the provincial FB group if you want a ride
  • Bhakail Yule, Dec. 11, Philadelphia, PA
  • Bellringer’s, Jan. 22, Manalapan, NJ: Carillion’s Baronial Birthday Party, hunt for medieval beasts
  • Aedult Swim 2022, Feb. 19, Milton, PA: several hundred armored combatants and fencers

Upcoming Commons Meetings

  • December 15 (where we will affirm the new officers)
  • January 19 (led by our new seneschal)
  • February 16

Closing

  • Meeting closed at 8:28pm.

Links Contributed in Chat

November 2021 Reports • Østgarðr Commons 

Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

Hooray for Prince Ryouko’jin and Princess Indrakshi Heirs to the Tyger Thrones and our very own Ostgardians!

Hooray for Lady Godiva on her inclusion into the Order of the Maunche and Mistress Sofya on her Sovereigns Order of Excellence!

We have reached out to them to confirm the Viceregal succession polling and investiture, and potential Coronation bid.  So they are aware, but they need a little time. We hope to chat with them in person at the 100 Minutes this weekend. Because we will definitely host them for an Investiture, they may not be looking to entertain other RP bids from us, so they can spread the love to the rest of the East.

That being said I (Lada) would like to take the lead and low key work on a Coronation Bid using Mt Kisco site.

Catelin has agreed to be co-steward and we will pull some #s together over the next few days to present to the officer group, while we wait for an answer from TRH.

The site is available for 1st weekend in April and the fee would be same as for A&S and Bardic we hosted there which was $1500

The bid is due to Kingdom by Dec 15th, so provided that TRH are open to considering a bid from us, Catelin and I will have something to review by the end of month.

It is the biggest space that we have and we have a solid relationship with the staff.

Ostgardr Bardic Champs:

The Provincial Bardic Champs is happening Virtually at Deck the Halls of Valhalla Jan 29, 2022. Please stay tuned for details from event staff and our current Champion

Seneschal • Alienor Salton

All our positions for terms ending this December have volunteers for the upcoming Jan. 2022 – Dec. 2023 terms.  We will affirm the single-candidate positions at our December meeting.  Tonight, we have the opportunity to meet our candidates for seneschal, Alec MacLachlan and Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi.  Voting for the seneschal position will open after the meeting, with a Google form.  Voting will end Dec. 14th, the evening before our next commons.

We have an exciting new event in development, proposed by Garrath of Arden and Marin il Gondolier, “So you want to be an outlaw?”, to be hosted in our Great Northern Woods this coming spring.  Garrath and Marin will be on the call to add details and recruit volunteers for planning.

Sofya and I visited the Manhattanville Community Center to evaluate hosting armored combat, fighter and dance practices, A&S classes and bardic circles there.  Potential is good for community engagement, although we have some safety concerns.  We’d like to move forward with planning some activities there, to see how it goes.

Exchequer • Francisco de Braga

Report to Kingdom has been accepted.

Herald • Drasma Dragomira

Not too much to report. My Q4 quarterly report was filed by the beginning of this month.  And as always, if you’re looking to have your name or armory registered, let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

Chatelaine • Catelin Straquhin

I have received multiple in-person queries from members of the public regarding how to join our chapter. I am communicating with one person via email about getting more involved and how to obtain a membership. I have another person interested in joining us for their first event, if schedules line up. We are getting noticed on social media, and it is definitely helping with our queries.

The Ostgardr TikTok channel is still growing, with more video ideas in the pipeline. If you have an idea or need help putting a video together, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Highlight from TikTok this month: Perez’s hot take regarding pumpkin spice lattes has reached 18.0K views and 93 shares since publishing from 11/06! Go Perez!!

I am still working on constructing documentation for Outreach and Chatelaine processes. I will present the documents to officers when they are ready.

I’m also attaching my “Outreach and the SCA” handout from my class last month. Please feel free to use and pass around as desired. If anyone needs a more granular approach to Outreach/Marketing, I am happy to give advice.

Chancellor Minor • Kunigunde Wedemann

I have nothing to report for the month of October/November.

Arts & Sciences • Randve L’il Hammar

The minister of arts and sciences apologizes for yet another absence from commons. I would like to praise both Hanya and Berakha for their continued amazing work at keeping the arts and sciences in our crown province active and  afloat. *Pause for a round of applause* Seriously y’all have been killing it. 

As the days grow shorter and the nights grow longer and our ability to meet in person dwindles, I would like to kick off a short documentary project for the Crown province. I know I have been very inactive as the arts and sciences minister this past year, but my plea to get to know all of you and your craft remains sincere. So in an attempt to put my camera where my mouth is, I would like to create miniature documentaries of you, your persona, and your craft. We have some of the finest craftsman in this kingdom. We have killer scribes, bad ass Brewers, classy cooks, fierce fiber artists, Awesome academics, super seamstresses, and beautiful blacksmiths. I would love to celebrate all of your talents and share them with the known world. Our seneschal has kindly volunteered to be the first one up to bat, but I would also love to schedule interviews with more of you!

Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre

Fighter practice will continue until weather gets intolerable . I expect that to be in a matter of weeks and will start making arrangements for the indoor practice at the Manhattanville community Center targeting an early December start there on Wednesdays.

I encourage all fighters to go to the 100 Minutes War, particularly new fighters who want to get authorized and fight in the Novice tourney there.

I encourage the people who love the fighters to go to the 100 Minutes War to go and help the fighters by helping them put their armor on and off, bringing them water, cheering loudly, etc.

Long-term wish list item: A “fighter support squad” at Pennsic to accompany the Østgarðr fighters to the battlefield, carry items for them, help them with armor, provide water, pickles, duct tape, etc, as needed, and show the colors so people know that there is an Ostgardrian army out there! We’ve done it before, we can do it again!

Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

No archery practice but we did have some great archery at St Andrews before the tornado warning. 😃

Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

Practice has been ongoing at McCarren Park in Brooklyn. Including me, we have been getting 2-3 fencers each practice.  Tonight someone in the park showed interest in fencing, and Mathghamhain gave her some info on us.  

I also did 3-4 authorizations at this past weekend’s St. Andrews event out east.

Practice will continue at McCarren Park until it becomes too cold (which may be soon).

Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

There hasn’t been any local youth combat this month, but we’re looking forward to seeing kids take the field at Hundred Minutes this weekend.

Minister of Lists • Marion of York

I don’t have anything to report on this month.

Webminister • Friderich Grimme

Ostgardr.org domain name renewed for another year.  Nothing else to report at this time.

Chronicler • Zahra de Andaluzia

The next issue of the E-Horse will be published on Wednesday, December 1. Please send me your artwork, articles, memes, quizzes, photos, op-eds—etc. etc. you know the drill—by Monday, November 29 for inclusion into this issue of the E-Horse. (Technically, you can send me things up to and including the date of publication but if you want to be nice to me, please send by Monday, and I will think good thoughts about you.)

Friendly reminder about the caption contest! Last issue of the E-Horse we published this photo (attached) and issued a caption contest, so please submit your ideas for a hilarious caption, and see it published in this next issue of the E-Horse! Thank you to all who have already submitted captions—some of them made me laugh out loud. (Btw, yes, you are welcome to submit more than one caption!) (Friendly reminder about the friendly reminder: I’m not personally on Facebook, so while you are welcome to post your captions there, they will not be in the E-Horse unless you send them to me directly, or get someone else to do it.)

Social Media • Albrecht Anker (report submitted by Alienor Salton)

Please welcome Albrecht to the new role of Social Media Coordinator!  He was appointed to the new office through the end of the year, and has submitted his letter of intent to run for this position for the new term beginning January 1st.  We will affirm his selection, along with the other single-candidate races, at our December provincial commons.  Thank you, Albrecht!

Greetings Officers and populace of the Crown Province of Østgarðr,

I intend to offer myself up, as a candidate for Social Media Officer of The Crown Province of Østgarðr. 

My goals in this position are to ensure all of our Østgarðr social media channels are easy to use, inclusive, and transparent to display the values of Østgarðr and the SCA and further creates value for our society as a whole.

I will ensure as the social media officer that we will have a social media presence that is creative, innovative, dynamic, and responsive to change, and follows the rules and guidelines outlined in the SCA Social Media Office’s Social Media Handbook.

I will make sure our social media is maintained and supports our community, to not only promote but to listen, be personable, responsive, and authentic and understand that people matter most and that our Social Media in all aspects reflect that. 

In my mundane life: I am a digital artist well versed in Photoshop, video editing, digital special effects, and 3D modeling and rendering. I also spent several years running a streaming network and will utilize all of this experience in social media management and promotion for the betterment and sustainability of our social media presence.

In-Service,

Albrecht Anker

Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

No changes from last month.

Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

October 2021

Resolution to Remove the Sovereign of An Tir

On October 27, 2021, the SCA Board of Directors made the following decision:

On October 27, 2021, at a Special Meeting of the SCA Board of Directors, the Board took a rare step and unanimously voted to remove King Christian Bane as the current Sovereign of An Tir, effective immediately. The Board reached this painful decision after significant deliberation and with the advice of our Officers.

At this time, An Tir remains in the capable hands of Queen Helene d’Anjou, until the Coronation of the Heirs to the Throne. We wish great success to her Majesty in serving independently for the remainder of Her Reign.

SCA Board of Directors

November 2021

November 7, 2021-Crown Tournament in the Barony of Bergental

The East Kingdom has Heirs! 

Prince Ryouko’jin Of-The Iron-Skies, and Her Royal Highness, Princess Indrakshi Aravinda are the heirs to the Crown of the East!

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

November 13th, 2021-St. Andrews  St. Andrew visits the Notre Dame – 30th Baronial Anniversary

Being the Court of Their Majesties Ionness & Honig, held on November 13th, 2021, AS LVI in the Barony of An Dubhaigeainn, the following good citizens of Ostgardr were recognized in Court:

Sofya Gianetta di Trieste was inducted into the Sovereigns Order of Excellence

Godiva D’Mer was inducted into the Order of the Maunche

Our own Vicereine was called forth by His Majesty Ioannes to outrun the children of the East with the Royal Toy Box. Although she was fleet of foot, she was soon tackled by very determined children. All ended well with smiles and toys for all the children.

Whyt Whey • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

You’re invited to join us for a trip to the Cloisters on Sunday, November 28; see our website for details (https://whytwhey.eastkingdom.org/2021/11/04/sunday-at-the-cloisters-with-whyt-whey/), then RSVP by email to seneschal@whytwhey.eastkingdom.org, or let me know if you have questions.

We conducted a survey regarding a possible name change for the canton; opinion was split, with strong feelings on all sides. I’ve written up the results and will review them with the canton officers as we discuss how to proceed.

Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi

Nothing to report.

Brokenbridge • Ragnarr bláskegg

Brokenbridge is in the process of planning for Deck the Halls of Valhalla on January 29th.  As a reminder, it will be virtual from 6pm to 10pm.  The event steward, Eadwin the Younger, is looking for possible volunteers to teach.  

We are also planning for Deck the Halls of Valhalla to have the Østgarðr bardic champion competition.  We will be planning on how to make that work in a virtual environment.

Committees

Østgarðr trim • Lada Monguligin

Andrixos of Calontir Trim has a couple of designs for us to choose from

You can vote on FB on the post set up by him, or you can email Lada with your preference.

The voting is open until Monday Nov 22nd. 

After the vote he will be collecting orders, handling all the moneys etc. 

As a reminder here are the cost details from his announcement:

The minimum order for a trim like this is 300 yards.  At that point, the price would be $3.00/yard.  If we reach 500 yards in pre-orders, the price will drop to $2.50 a yard. 

Here is an outline of timing.    I will be taking pre-orders in the comments.  When I reach 300 yards, I will keep things open for another week to see if we can get to 500 yards for the price drop.  Once I place the order, it tends to take 5-7 weeks for the trim to arrive in country, and then a week to get to me.

Please make a pledge for a certain amount of yardage in the comments below.  When I reply with a heart, that means I have entered it on my spreadsheet of orders.

Generally, the trim comes to me on rolls of 24-27 yards, but each of the dozen trims I have ordered from this mill has been different.  Therefore, I reserve the right to modify your order down by up to 5%, or up by up to 15% to efficiently use up the rolls as they are delivered.  For example, if I have orders for 10, 10, and 5 yards, and the rolls come in at 27.5 yards each, I will modify to 11, 11, and 5.5 yards, so that I am not buried in piles of 2.5 yard remnants.  This calculation cannot occur until I have received delivery of the trim, so I will not take payment until that time.  Any order of 25 yards will be assumed to be “a roll” whatever (within reason) that ends up being.

I will mail the trim by USPS Priority Mail, which will cost $8.50.  I can get about 110 yards into a single envelope, so you might want to combine orders to save postage.

Site search • Lada Monguligin

Catelin and Lada went to check out Snug Harbor on Staten Island. 

Saw the outdoor spaces, as our contact was not available to view the indoor venue. This site has potential for an outdoor/indoor RP event combo like Rattan Champs or Crown Tourney.. Next step would be to talk to the site about costs and kitchen availability to see what’s actually viable.

Check out the pics below and see attached PDF Map.

The pics are of East Meadow which is next to 2 parking lots and building P which is the biggest indoor space that is rented out is a short walk away is accessible. When we came to the site, we parked on parking lot 4 and it was maybe an 8 min walk to the East Meadow? 

The East Meadow has a setup pavilion, leveled ground and the yellowish building with red roof on the right of the 1st pic is building P in which they rent out a lobby.

South East Meadow is also an option. It is closer to building P lobby, but it is further from parking. There is a lander festival going on there currently so we could not walk in that area.

Upcoming Events

Bear’s Tavern • Feb. 25-17 • Oliver de Bainbrig 

DATE: February 25—27th, 2022

SITE: Blue Mountain Lodge, Peekskill

EVENT STEWARD: Lord Thomas of Northpass (mka: Tom Martin)

Bear’s Tavern, one of the oldest events in Ostgardr’s northern region, is an adult-themed gathering of friends in an informal-tavern-like setting. Those attending will receive a pouch of gold coins that they will use to purchase food and drink as well as to gamble on the various games of chance. Competitions will be held through out the day.

The theme implies SCAdians ‘waking up’ from a long nap, hungry for any and all food. And [REDACTED]. Did I mention [REDACTED]? Yeah, there’ll be [REDACTED]…..

EXPENSES: $700 for site fee, 1250 for food,

100 for incidentals. TOTAL: $2050.

There is a $350 dollar security deposit on the site. We can issue one check which can be rolled over to cover all the Blue Mountain events.

This event sells out every year. Attendance fees are $38 a head for overnight stays (maximum of 40) and $33 for daytrippers (maximum of 20). A $5 late fee will be charged for registrations received after February 22nd. Not including the $5 NMS and the late fees, we would expect to bring in $2180 at the gate.

Our feastocrats have always come under-budget at this event.

Goat’s Inn • Oct. 21-23 • Oliver de Bainbrig 

DATE: October 21st — 23rd, 2022

SITE: Blue Mountain Lodge, Peekskill

EVENT STEWARD: Lord Oliver deBainbrig. (Aka: Phil Clarke Jr.)

Goat’s Tavern is a is a family-friendly scholar event. Classes will all relate to preparing for winter. Topics for discussion will include preparing food and making warm clothing. Children’s classes will be planned, allowing the parents some time of their own.

EXPENSES: $700 for site reservation, 1250 for food,

300 for incidentals. TOTAL: $2250

Attendance fees are $33/20 for overnight stays for adults/youth and $28/15 for daytrippers. Children ages 5 and under are free. A $5 late fee will be charged for adult registrations received after October 1st. NMS fees will be applied.

We have not held this event enough times to accurately predict attendance.

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *