The September commons meeting was held September 20 at the New Rochelle Public Library in Northpass. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.
- Suuder Saran, Il-Khan
- Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun
- Alienor Salton, Seneschal
- Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
- Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal
- Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
- Zahra al-Andalusiyya, Chronicler
- Anne of Østgarðr, Webminister
- Oliver de Bainbrig, Northpass Seneschal
- Esnede O Murrin
- Victor Maximus
- Richard the Poor
- Aurora ffolkes
- Thomas of Northpass
- Al of Northpass
- Gibbs Moryss
- Isabel of Ostgardr
- Buenaventura Miguel Rivera
- Apollodora of Delphi
- Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Historian
- Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal
- Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya, Chatelaine
- Donnchadh mac Eoin, MoAS
- Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
- Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
- Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
- Arnora Ketilsdottir, Chancellor Minor
- Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
- Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal
- Called to order at 7:58 pm.
- Seneschal: Thanks to:
- Oliver de Bainbrig and Al of Northpass for securing the site for this meeting.
- Angelica di Nova Lipa and Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa for their successful closing of our Capital One bank account.
- Jenna Childslayer and Iola Wulfsdotter for heralding provincial court at Barleycorn.
- Catelin Straquhin for service over last year as Provincial Archery Champion.
- Congratulations to the following award recipients:
- Yehuda ben Moshe: Pelican
- Muiredach Ua Dálaig: Silver Brooch
- Godiva de la Mer: Golden Lyre
- Johanna Brandrsdottir: Sea-Urchin
- Friderich Grimme: Silver Sea-Lion
- Angelica di Nova Lipa: Seahorse
- Buenaventura Miguel Rivera: Sea Dog
- Galen Mac Byrne: Sea Dog
- Meadhbh O’Gairbhith: Award of Arms
- Conandil ingen Donngaile: Silver Lantern
- Mongu Chinua: Provincial Archery Champion
- Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin: King Ivan’s Award of Esteem (2018)
- Congratulations to Gavin, newly authorized as an armored fighter.
- Congratulations and thanks to Lada & Suuder, Il-Khatun and Il-Khan, recently confirmed for their second three-year term as Viceregents of the Crown Province.
Key Items from Officer Reports
- Seneschal: Thanks to the officers for preparing their reports — this month, we received a report from every officer before the beginning of the meeting.
- Kingdom is reviewing their records and wants to ensure they have a report for every events since 2012; please send them copies at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc that address on all future event reports.
- As a reminder, do not use personal checks to pay site fees. Get a check from your exchequer.
- We now have simplified URLs for use on flyers or SCA business cards: ostgardr.eastkingdom.org or ostgardr.org, and facebook.com/groups/sca.nyc or ostgardr.org/facebook.
- New flyers have been prepared for distribution at upcoming public demos — thanks to Ajir and Zahra for their work on these, and to Jenna for printing copies for Queens Farm demo.
- The submission deadline for volume 4 of the e-Horse newsletter is November 24.
- Heraldic education classes will be held this fall; contact Mathghamhain if you’d like to participate.
- Next month’s Whyt Whey solar is on fabric dying, taught by Þorfinn.
- The upcoming Brokenbridge commons class is a “how-to” class on provincial award recommendations, taught by Lada.
- There will be a scribal workshop on Sat. Oct. 19, at a location to be determined; contact Lada if you’d like to participate.
- Archery practices on Staten Island will be be scheduled on some upcoming weekends. Contact Suuder or keep an eye on the Facebook group for announcements.
- The former Whyt Whey banner and Pennsic sheet wall displaying the canton’s ancient and honorable arms (featuring a giant cockroach) are both available for donation to a good home. Contact Alienor by October commons if you would like to have these.
- The Chatelaine seeks the donation of small A&S kits which could be given to newcomers.
- We are seeking volunteers to re-inventory the Province’s gold key and feast gear.
- Once that’s done, we’d like to make a master report on all of the Province’s inventories and their storage requirements so that we can discuss alternative storage plans.
- Richard: I suggest taking photographs of the items.
- There’s been some discussion of possible improvements to Østgarðr’s Pennsic encampment for next year. If you’re interested in working on these projects, check in with Alienor or Mathghamhain.
- The Cloisters demo would like to have additional volunteers to serve as chatelaines and speak to the public about what we do and how to join us; we hope to have several people in these positions so nobody has to do it for the full day.
- We’ll be hosting Kingdom Twelfth Night. We will be seeking volunteers to assist, including at the gate, for site breakdown, and other positions.
- The position of Whyt Whey Canton Herald is open; please consider volunteering.
- We’re searching for indoor practice sites for the activities that are currently happening in parks, including bardic circle, fencing practice, and dance practice. If you have suggestions, please let us know.
- We’re also interested in possible new sites for next year’s events.
- Elections for officer positions will be held in December.
- The terms of the Seneschal, Herald, Fencing Marshal, Webminister, and Historian are up at the end of the year. Officers, consider whether you’d like to run again. Members of the populace, consider whether you’d like to run for one of these offices. Letters of intent will be requested by the October Commons.
- Other officers, who are approaching the middle of your two-year term, consider whether you are feeling productive and satisfied. If you’d like to step down early, please let us know that now.
- The Viceregents have begun their second three-year term. If you might be interested in holding this position after they step down, now’s the time to start learning about the position and thinking about how you might serve.
Committees and Projects
- Regalia Committee: Coronet project is stalled, nothing to report.
- Provincial Storage: Awaiting above-mentioned inventory and reports.
- Nordenfjordr [Stonebridges] Sponsorship: The shire is doing well.
- Finance committee: Will meet following the business meeting.
Upcoming Local Events:
- Queens Farm demo is this weekend, September 21 and 22, in eastern Queens.
- Cloisters demo is next Sunday, September 29, in northern Manhattan.
- Kingdom Twelfth Night is January 4, in Nassau County.
- Deck the Halls of Valhalla is January 11, in Brooklyn.
Possible Events Next Year:
- Bear’s Tavern is planned for March 7, in Northpass.
- The Queer History Schola hasn’t finalized dates — maybe March 14 or 21?
- Apollodora: Several teachers have been lined up already.
- Brewer’s Collegium is May 1-3, in Northpass.
- Ostgardr/An Dubh Challenge’s schedule is unconfirmed but might take place in May.
- Suuder: I’m planning on running the An Dubh challenge. Activities to include a hobby-horse obstacle race.
- Northpass is considering an event the weekend of August 1.
- Barleycorn’s traditional schedule is for September 11-13, in Northpass.
- Northpass will consider possible alternate dates for Barleycorn to avoid a conflict with Ducal Challenge.
- Fight for a Cause’s schedule is unconfirmed but might take place in October.
- Lada: we’re looking at Columbus Day weekend of next year, October 10, 2020.
- Goat’s Tavern is planned for the weekend of October 17.
- Northpass is considering an event the weekend of December 5.
- Oliver: All Northpass events at Blue Mountain will have reservations made and dates finalized on January 2.
- Thomas: There’s a chance that we might be able to confirm these sooner.
Selected Events Elsewhere:
- St. Andrews is next Saturday, September 28, in An Dubh.
- Coronation is October 5, in York PA.
- Ghosts, Ghouls & Goblins is October 12, in Carillion.
- This year’s event will likely be the last of the series as its event steward is moving to Trimaris.
- Arrows, Axes & Ales is November 2, in An Dubh.
- The Kingdom Fencing Championship is also November 2, in Buckland Cross.
- Crown Tourney is November 9, in Nordenhalle.
- St. Eligius is November 16, in Dragonship Haven.
- The A&S competition at St. Eligius is a good opportunity to test-run a possible entry into the King’s and Queen’s A&S competition next February, but note that the rules and judging rubric at St. Eligius are slightly different than you might expect, so please read their announcement carefully.
- Hundred Minutes War is November 23 in Rusted Woodlands.
- Yule in Beyond the Mountain is December 7.
- Yule in Bhakail is December 14.
- Birka is January 26 in Stonemarche.
- There’s a chance that Birka might have to move weekends because of presidential primary. Expect more discussion of this soon.
- Seneschal: Any other business we should discuss?
- For Twelfth Night, we are discussing a possible affordability initiative, which would collect donations and use them to subsidize discounted or free tickets for other people.
- Cloisters event steward has requested availability of gold key garb.
- People running demos should be aware that current Kingdom and Society policy classifies demos as events.
- A kingdom event report with a total headcount will be needed.
- Make sure that the harassment policy is posted at check-in.
- We need to collect signed waivers from anyone who does not have a current blue membership cards, as these demos do not fall under the exception for business meetings and informal gatherings at which there is no fighting. https://seneschal.eastkingdom.org/docs/waiverpolicy.php
- Richard: At Barleycorn, someone asked about period-related movies. What about having a movie-night social? If you’re interested, suggest some movies we might watch and a venue for doing so.
- Suuder: Locals used to hold “Friends of Cadfael” movie and games nights.
- Al: We could watch movies on the big screen here at the New Rochelle Public Library.
Upcoming Commons Meetings
- To be held in Whyt Whey, at the usual Solar location
- To be held in Lions End, at the Greenvale Townhouse diner
- No business meeting scheduled due to holidays
- Location needed — suggestions welcome
- Meeting closed at 8:40 pm.
Postscript: Finance Committee
- Approved renewal of ostgardr.org domain name, possibly for multiple years, possibly moved to Pair.com or Google domain name registry.
- Approved budget for Queer History Schola.
- Approved reimbursement for past Musicians’ Day event.
- Approved issuance of initial deposit check for Twelfth Night.
- Approved return of check with incorrect amount for Coronation profit share.
Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin
Congratulations to those who have been recognized by Their Majesties since our last meeting.
- Godiva de la Mer, Golden Lyre
- Muiredach Ua Dálaig, Silver Brooch
- Yehuda ben Moshe, Pelican
- Meadhbh O’Gairbhith, Award of Arms
At 12th night there will be provincial court. We are looking for award recommendations to recognize those who work for the good of Our Province.
As 12th night approaches please volunteer to help run the event. Particularly hands are always needed at the end of the night to help breakdown.
Seneschal • Alienor Salton
1. By-laws committee, having successfully concluded its work (https://ostgardr.eastkingdom.org/bylaws/), is dissolved.
2. We need to re-inventory the gold key & feast gear. Volunteers for those work efforts? Meeting times & locations will be scheduled around participants availability.
Storage committee needs to review all provincial inventories, their current storage locations, and their particular availability requirements. Please let Alienor or Lada know if you wish to assist with this report.
3. Pennsic was a success! Many new projects are being planned for our encampment next year. Please check in with Alienor or Mathghamhain to be included in the planning and/or execution of camp improvements.
4. Four local scribes (Alienor, Zahra, Onora from An Dubhaigeainn, Randve) attended the EK Southern Region backlog scroll work day in Wilmington, DE, which was both productive and social. The assembled scribes tackled 9 backlogged scrolls, all of which may be handed out at Coronation. Alienor will be transporting them — scribes, please try to have yours done in time to be delivered Oct. 4th.
We would like to host a backlog scroll work day locally. Please let Alienor or Lada know if you wish to participate.
5. Five bards (Þorfinn, Zahra, Anne, Isabel, Alienor) from the Østgarðr Bardic Circle attended Harper’s Retreat, as did House of the Lotus. And there was much rejoicing.
Bardic circle needs an indoor meeting space. Options under consideration include Ervald’s workspace, the community center that the ACL is using, and a paid rehearsal room.
6. Officers whose terms are ending at the turn of the year:
- Fencing marshal
Above officers, please consider whether you wish to run for another term, and let the provincial officers council know. Populace & fellow officers, please consider whether you wish to throw your hats into the ring. Letters of intent will be requested by the October Commons. Candidates may be interviewed at the November Commons (please plan to attend either in person or remotely). Elections will be held in December.
Officers who are mid-term:
- Minister of Arts & Science
- Minister of Lists
- Knight Marshal
- Youth Combat Marshal
- Archery Marshal
Mid-term officers, please examine your happiness quotient in your current position. Are you still engaged? Active? Enjoying your volunteer effort? If you wish to step down at the end of this year, now would be a good time to let your fellow officers know, so your position can be offered in the current election cycle. We are supposed to be having fun — this is a volunteer effort and you are not obliged to continue doing anything that is not working well for you.
Officers who have been renewed for a 2nd term (vivant!):
Dear Lada & Suuder, thank you for taking on another 3 years of your leadership role. You are doing great! We look forward to the shenanigans of your term.
For those who do not know how this works — the populace of Østgarðr elects our viceroyals via a province-wide polling (a paper ballot handled by the East Kingdom seneschal’s office via postal mail) for up to 2 terms of 3 years each. Lada & Suuder stepped up at Barleycorn in 2016. We (the provincial officers council) re-elected them for the 2nd term at Pennsic this year.
Campaign season for the next set of provincial leaders will begin in less than 2 years. If you are interested in running for these positions, you should be learning what is involved in the job and begin planning your run for office now. Make sure people know who you are and what you can do for the province.
Officer whose position is new (vivat!):
- Chancellor Minor
Exchequer • Francisco de Braga
Our Capitol One Bank account has been closed and money consolidated to TD Bank. Thank you to the wonderful Angelica for helping to facilitate.
In total, we now have $14,468.14 at TD Bank. This includes both Brokenbridge, Nordenfjord and money allotted to other fundraising.
We have also requested Paypal for Twelfth Night and are awaiting approval from Kingdom. For the i am looking for a few volunteers who would be willing to assist with Gate in the morning. Anyone wishing to volunteer please contact me. [Ed: paypal link is live.]
Q3 reporting is due next Month.
There is now a new officer position at EK, The Deputy of Event Reports for the Office of the Exchequer. Duchess Caoilfhionn has stepped up to fill the position. Moving forward all event reports which are submitted should add “email@example.com” when submitting event documentation to their distribution list.
In addition it is being requested that we go back and compile all Event reports dating back to January 1st 2012 to ensure that Kingdom is in compliance with the Society Exchequer Policy, Section VI. I will be compiling the requested information in the near future. Should i not be able to find the requested information for certain events, past event stewards may be hearing from me.
Chatelaine • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya
While it has been an uneventful month so far, we are entering into “demo season” starting this weekend, with Queen’s County Farm Fair. Please come out for the fair and for Cloisters next week, and help us create a fun and inviting atmosphere for new people.
Thanks to the excellent graphic design of THL Ajir Tsagaan, we have a new Ostgardr flyer to offer at events. Also thanks to Jenna Childslayer for printing some for the next 2 demo events.
If anyone wants to donate easy one-off A&S project kits (kumihimo, cross-stitch, one-letter illumination – that sort of thing), I’d love to have some to offer at demos. We’re great at attracting people through fighting, but for the less martial-minded, it could be really enticing to see how easy it is to get started in A&S.
Did anyone meet any new Ostgardians at Pennsic? If so, please direct them towards me, so I can help get them connected to the people and things that interest them.
Chancellor Minor • Arnora Ketilsdottir
Chancellor minor has nothing to report as she’s been spending all her time on potty training since the last meeting.
Arts & Sciences • Donnchadh mac Eoin
Nothing significant to report.
Herald • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
Thank you to Jenna Childslayer and Iola Wulfsdotter of Lions End for heralding court for the Viceregents at Barleycorn; the necessary report has been filed with kingdom.
I’ve also spoken to the gentle who will soon be taking over the East Kingdom office that updates the Order of Precedence web site, and am optimistic that the backlog of provincial awards which haven’t been recorded there over the last year may be processed in the coming months.
Whyt Whey’s canton herald has stepped down. This is not a required office so no immediate action is required, but if anyone is interested in the position, please contact me or the canton Seneschal to learn more about the role.
Now that school back in session, we’ll be organizing some heraldic education classes this fall — if you’re interested in designing armory, researching names, announcing tournaments, or calling court, let me know and I’ll make sure you hear about upcoming classes.
And as always, if you’d like to submit your own name or device, get in touch and I’ll work with the other heralds in the Province to make it happen.
At Pennsic, the Viceregents delivered an Award of the Golden Lyre to Godiva de la Mer on behalf of Ozurr and Fortune. Young Johanna Brandrsdottir was inducted into the Province’s Order of the Sea-Urchin in appreciation for her service at local events and the lovely jewelry she has created. Friderich Grimme was recognized for his skill in archery, and for his efforts training so many of the province’s archers, by making him a member of the Order of the Silver Sea-Lion. And the Viceregents rewarded Angelica di Nova Lipa for her many years of service to the Province — at events, in artistry, and behind the scenes — by inducting her into the Order of the Seahorse.
At Barleycorn, the Viceregents delivered an Award of Arms ordered by their Majesties East for Meadhbh O’Gairbhith. Buenaventura Miguel Rivera and Galen Mac Byrne were inducted into the Order of the Sea Dog for their years of service in the Canton of Northpass. Conandil ingen Donngaile was made a member of the Order of the Silver Lantern in recognition of her artistry and her service to the Province’s dance community. And Catelin Straquhin stepped down as Provincial Archery Champion, passing that title on to Mongu Chinua, who had won the day’s tournament.
Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre
Fighter practice at McCarren Park is going strong. The fighters are reaching new levels of competence and the loaner armor is doing its job.
We had a new fighter authorize at the Barleycorn event. Please Welcome Gavin Skal to the ranks of authorized fighters in Østgarðr!
After Halloween we may move fighter practice to the indoor practice facility at the ManhattanVille Community Center at 350 West 133rd Street, Manhattan, NY 10027
In order to do so, however, we need to have a non-fighting activity for all ages (mostly kids) happening concurrently. This could include dancing, music, arts & crafts… I mean sciences, anything to give back to the community center that is providing us this space. Anyone who can do something in this regard, please contact me through Facebook.
This space has come to us by the hard work of Damion diGrazia, head of the Manhattan chapter of the Armored Combat League. More details about the specifics of the space are forthcoming.
We will be holding our demo/practice this weekend at the Queens County Farm Museum County Faire. If anyone is interested in trying fighting, I will bring loaner armor.
The Fort Tryon Park Medieval Fest is coming up next weekend. Our fighting times are 1 PM and 3 PM, one hour each time slot. Unfortunately, I can’t find a posted schedule of activities on-line like there has been in previous years.
Local fighters should also consider attending the St. Andrews event in AnDubhageann (Suffolk County) and the 100 Minutes War in Rusted Woodlands (NJ)
Fencing • Alec MacLachlan
Most fencing practices have been rained out since Pennsic. Myself and two others have shown up, though. (One of these people used to go to SCA fencing practices years ago.)
There will be fencing at Queen’s farm this Saturday. Marion of York will be the Marshal in Charge
I’ll be the MIC at the Fort Tryon/Cloisters demo.
Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir
Archery marshaled by Arnbiorg is still going on in Cedar Creek in Seaford except this Sunday. Archery in Northpass, marshaled by Friderich, has been going on. It is on hold for September. October updates expected soon. Archery in Staten Island was paused; the first practice in some time was this past Sunday. It is expected to continue on a semi-regular basis with Suuder marshaling.
Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
Youth combat at Barleycorn was run by Eikaterine of Anglespur, as I was across the river marshaling youth at Ducal Challenge. Both meets were small, but went smoothly and the kids enjoyed themselves.
We’ll have youth combat at the Cloisters at the end of the month, as well as pell practice which the public always loves.
Ronan of An Dubh has offered space at his business in Levittown for a possible youth combat practice one or two weekends per month, and we’re attempting to determine how many kids we could assemble out there.
I hope to get up to the ACL community-center practice site in West Harlem during the coming month to talk with the folks there about whether their rules would allow us to hold youth combat practices there.
Minister of Lists • [office vacant]
No report submitted.
Webminister • Anne of Østgarðr
Miscellaneous updates to website and email lists as necessary.
Deputy has organized a transfer of our site from ostgardr.eastkingdom.org/wordpress to simply ostgardr.eastkingdom.org (no WordPress in link) – thank you Math!!
Deputy Webminister • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
In preparation for the demos this month, we spent some time figuring out how to make our web links prettier.
For the web site, ostgardr.eastkingdom.org/wordpress still works but it now sends you to the equivalent ostgardr.eastkingdom.org which is nice and simple. There’s also a shortcut at www.ostgardr.org or http://ostgardr.org although using this commits us to continuing to pay for this domain name (about $12/year).
For the Facebook group, facebook.com/groups/86917178171 still works but it now sends you to the shorter equivalent facebook.com/groups/sca.nyc which is easier to remember. There’s also a shortcut at www.ostgardr.org/facebook.
Chronicler • Zahra al-Andalusiyya
Volume 3 of the e-Horse went out today (Sept. 20th).
Nothing else to report, except for the usual call for content, including photos, art, and items for the Village Square. The next E-Horse will (hopefully!) go out on December 1.
Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell
The Green & White will be returned at Queens farm demo.
Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste
While researching herald related stuff, Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin discovered that at Mudthaw in the Barony of Settmour Swamp, 2018, he received King Ivan’s Award of Esteem for work on webministry. A delayed Vivat to Mathghamhain!
Whyt Whey • Vika Grigina z Prahy
This month’s Solar was on stuff learned at Pennsic.
October’s Solar will be fiber dyeing; it will be at Þórfinn’s apartment. That will also be our regular quarterly Commons.
We now have a drop-dead deputy exchequer, in the shape of Angelica.
If anyone wants sheet wall(s)/banners of the Ancient & Honorable canton arms, please contact Alienor within the month.
Gearing up for Cloisters demo Sep 29.
• Catelin & Zahra & Mathghamhain are event stewards.
• Much work occurring to chatelaine up the place (cards, flyers, tweaking of websites).
Northpass • Oliver de Bainbrig
I have stepped down as Northpass’ constable. Lord Thomas of Northpass has agreed to take my place in this role. As per Northpass bylaws, he is also the canton’s dropdead seneschal.
The Feast of John Barleycorn was a successful event.
Northpass is currently scheduling its events for 2020. We are discussing the following (all dates are tentative):
- Bear’s Tavern, March 6-8;
- Brewer’s Collegium, May 1-3;
- Pennsic Pity Party (working title), July 31- August 2;
- Feast of John Barleycorn XXX, September 11-13;
- Goat’s Tavern, October 16 – 18;
- Unknown December event, December 4 – 6
Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi
All’s quiet on the Eastern front.
Brokenbridge • Brandr Aronsson
October commons will be 10/26. Our awesome Vicereine will be teaching how to submit people for awards.
Twelfth Night • January 4 • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
As was announced since our last business meeting, the Province’s bid for Kingdom Twelfth Night was accepted. Mistress Sofya and I will be co-stewards. We’ll be holding the event at the American Legion Hall in Glen Head, Nassau County, on January 4.
We’re currently working on our plans for the event. We’ve managed to negotiate the site fee down by twenty percent from the price we were initially quoted, which gives us a bit more room in our budget in case we run into a problem like bad winter weather lowering turnout. We’ve got people signed up for the key cooking and entertainment roles and are working on building out the rest of the team.
You’ll be hearing a lot more about this over the next couple of months, so block off the date on your calendar and get excited about some boisterous seasonal fun!