Commons Minutes for October 2019

The October commons meeting was held October 18 at the usual location for Schola in the Solar in Whyt Whey. Here are the minutes as recorded by Alexander MacLachlan. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attendance

Present

  • Suuder Suran – Il-Kha’an
  • Lada Monguligin – Il-Khatun
  • Alexander MacLachlan – Acting Provincial Seneschal and Provincial Fencing Marshal
  • Oliver de Bainbridge
  • Anne of Osgtardr – Provincial Webminister
  • Isabel of Ostgardr
  • Apollodora
  • Zahra al-Audalusiyya – Provincial Chronicler
  • Tom Martin
  • Sydoc Nic Talmach
  • Master John Elys
  • Bruno Bruni
  • Alienor
  • Ibrahim
  • Godiva de Mer – Whyt Whey Mistress of A&S
  • Catelin Straquhin -Broken Bridge Mistress of A&S
  • Bahja al-Azraq – Provincial Deputy Chatelaine
  • Arnora Ketilsdottir – Provincial Chancellor Minor
  • Branimira of the Isles
  • Mistress Sofya – Provincial Historian
  • Franciso de Braga – Provincial Exchequer
  • Ronan
  • Mathghamhian Ua Ruadhain – Provincial Youth Marshal and Herald

Online

  • Countess Brekke
  • Jenna Childslayer

Absent Officers

  • Baron Ian – Chamberlaine
  • Ervald – Knight Marshal
  • Arnbiorg – Archery Marshal
  • Donnchadh – Minister of A&S

Officer Reports

In general there was a brief overview given of the officer reports on hand.

Viceregents

Queen’s Favor making workshop could be hosted by Arnora and Lettie. Would be presented as largess at 12th Night.

Fight For A Cause

Combatants would donate money and the ‘winnings’ would go to the victor’s charity. Looking for a deputy.

Historian

Recording what had happened since the last Commons month as factual as possible. Trying to collect both the good and the bad.

Chatelaine

No report, but Angelica collected names at recent demoes. Angelica should let the Chatelaine know them.

Bylaw Proposals:

Native Land Acknowledgement – There was general discussion about this, with people being in favor of it by pointing out that the SCA has recently stated that it encompasses a more world view of the period that is covered. Discussion also varied from if this violated current policy, make it a tradition for events, or to form a committee. It was settled to have this be an on-line discussion group with Anne of Ostgardr managing it.

One Year Terms for Officers – Most discussion was about not giving an officer time to know their job. It then developed into what to do if the officer is not doing a god job. It was decided to develop this into an officer review or a vote of no confidence. This discussion will be held outside of the regular Commons.

Events

Queen’s Farm Demo – First time allowing spectators to try archery and thrown weapons. A little haphazard in organizing it. (Lots of people trying it.) Will arrange for more timeslots for archery next year. Check w/Queen’s Farm if this helped us.

Cloisters Demo – Lots of people watched, and lots of us from all over (including a painter from Atlantia).

Queer Schola – Lettie Autocrat. At the Brooklyn Community Center in March from 12pm-8pm Donation only event. Combination event/demo. Saving for a portable wheel chair ramp.

An-Dub/Ostgardr Challenge – Suuder Autocrating, Christana is deputy autocrat. Tentative date is 5/16. Still looking for a location. Possible Hobby horse race.

12th Night – Checking if site can serve personal alcohol. Sofya and Matias are looking into setting up a fund to help people pay for the event. Must be out by 10pm. Looking to set up workshops and other activities. Dankwert is doing a post revel. Coordinate with him to hold it off by an hour to get clean up done.


Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

We are pleased to welcome new Provincial Champions:

  • Heavy Weapons: Muiredach Ua Dálaigh who then named Alienor Salton his inspiration and Provincial Queen of Love and Beauty.
  • Rapier: Engle der Pfau

We thank Our outgoing champions Gowain and Alexander for their service and inspiration to the Province.

Vivat to Ozurr! Newest Knight in the East Kingdom and the Crown Province.

We would like to see a favor workshop to create favors for Her Majesty Margarita. Lada will be happy to buy some fabric and bring fabric paints.  There is also an embroidery machine pattern available on Her Majesty’s website. Anyone want to offer space?

Join us for an Ostgardr hang out at Crown Tourney. We will be brining a pop-up, Ostgardr banners, and snacks. We would love as many of Our populace as able to join us in watching the tournament. Bring a chair and join us. If you’d like to your own popup as well please reach out to us and we can coordinate to expand our area. 

Fight for a Cause: We have a possible date! Saturday, August 22nd of 2020. The event site is Veteran’s Memorial Park in Putnam County. Lady Indrakshi Aravinda mka Annie will be the autocrat. This is her first time running an event and she needs co-autocrat. I am willing to step in and help her. Her and I (Lada) will be taking a day to drive up to the site in November so she can see it firsthand.

Acting Seneschal • Alexander MacLachlan

Just got into office and dealing with issues as they occur 

Exchequer • Francisco de Braga

October has been a relatively uneventful month.

Q3 Reporting is due at the end of this month and I am currently working on the needed documentations. I will coordinate with Brookenbridge & Nordfjord to ensure they have the total value of their account, held by OStgardr, for Q3 Reporting.

In the near future we will also need to coordinate updating signatory’s on our TD Bank account. I will begin coordinating next week on paperwork needed as well as setting a date for everyone to meet at a mutual location.

We received a $85 check from Town of Clarkstown Parks & Recreation, for the classes taught by Nordenfjord in the past. The check will be deposited this week.

I will also be looking for volunteers to help with Gate at Twelfth Night. Anyone wishing to Volunteer for an hour or two please contact me.

Herald • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

Their excellencies held court at Cloisters and named new champions, but no awards were issued so a formal court report was not required.

I’ve resumed the series of online video meet-ups for heralds that I had started back in the spring — every other Wednesday evening from 7:00 to 9:00 PM — and a number of provincial and regional heralds have been participating. If you’re interested in becoming a herald, these provide a chance to learn the ropes, meet your peers, and get your questions answered; please contact me if you’d like to join us.

We’ve found someone who seems interested in taking on the canton herald position for Whyt Whey; the Northpass office remains vacant.

I am attempting to recruit someone interested and qualified to step up and take on the office of Provincial Herald when my current term is up at the end of the year, but will serve again if no appropriate candidate presents themselves.

Chatelaine • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya

I don’t have much to report this month. We had a couple of demos, which I understand were quite successful, but I didn’t receive any new names and emails from those demos. If there are any outstanding lists or people who I should be contacting, please let me know.

I am unable to attend the meeting tonight, due to work commitments, but I am sending Bahja al-Azraq as a proxy to vote for me.

If any of you are having trouble keeping new recruits because of the events of the past month or so, please let me know. I’ve been doing damage control as best I can.

Chancellor Minor • Arnora Ketilsdottir

Planning youth A&S activities for Twelfth night.  I am collecting empty paper towel rolls for an activity involving making toy swords and then donating them to the EK toy box.  Anyone interested in doing something like teaching Kumihimo, running some board games, or doing a children’s story time, please contact me!  I can provide the materials for a lot of these.

In light of recent events, I will be getting a record of the legal names and states of residences for all of the Ostgardr officers, anyone camping with Ostgardr at Pennsic, and anyone interested in work youth activities at events and demos.  I will be checking these against the online state sex offender registries. I intend to make this a standard practice for my office. If I find anyone on there, it will be brought to the society seneschal for a decision of what to do.

I am going to be starting a write in campaign to various people in power in the SCA asking them to make an official announcement that anyone identified to be on the LEVEL 3 sex offender registry will be expelled from the society.  This is my attempt to prevent the four days of gossip and speculation before we were officially notified of the decision. I can send out form letters and mailing address info to anyone interesting in supporting this. 

Arts & Sciences • Donnchadh Mac Eoin

No report submitted.

Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre

We held a demo ond the Ostgardr championship tourney at the Fort Tryon PArk medeival fest. It went very well with no serious injuroies. The “card tourney” framework worked well.

Fighter practice continues apace at McCarren Park.

I have enough armor to kit out 2-3 new fighters at fighter practice, but I am looking for someone else who can hold some of it.

Details for the indoor site will be reposted on FAcebook soon. For now, the first Tuesday in November is tentatively scheduled as the first indoor date HOWEVER…

Part of the deal to use that space is for there to be some sort of cultural activity for the kids at this community center. This could be calligraphy, danging, teaching songs, anything, and our people, of all ages, may participate as well. Please if anyone will be available on aTuesday night, and wants to help us have an indoor fighter practice this winter, please get in touch with me and tell me what you can do.

This could conceivable be a regular weekly arts or dance workshop activity for the local SCA, Whyt Whey or OStgardr, and could draw people from the community into more of our activities.

On a non-fighting note, Sussman Automatic in Long Island City, Queens is also available for any non-fighting activity that you want to do indoors, so long as I am available at that time. Anyone who has been there knows that there is plenty enough room to dance, paint, make music, and have meetings. Please let me know if you have an activity that needs this kind of space.

Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

No report submitted.

Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

No fencing since the last commons due to mundane issues (work) or rain. Lots of rain…

Have e-mailed Kingdom Youth Rapier Marshal for paperwork on becoming a youth rapier marshal

Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

The youth combat meet at the Cloisters demo was a success. Thank you to Zywia of Dragonship Haven and Laura of Lions End for keeping the list field going for six hours straight with only the lightest bit of supervision. We had four Div 3 and two Div 1 fighters face off on the field, and dozens (maybe hundreds?) of young members of the public try their hands at the pell. 

Efforts are continuing to get a weekend practice going out in Lions End, with thanks to Ronan for providing indoor space, but we haven’t yet been able to find a schedule that works for everyone — hopefully we’ll make this happen in November.

Other happenings in the Province have prevented me from making up to ACL’s community-center practice site in West Harlem this month, but I’ll try to get up there in the next few weeks and report back on the availability of the space.

Minister of Lists

Office vacant; no report.

Webminister • Anne of Østgarðr 

Nothing big to report, website is still going.

Chronicler • Zahra al-Andalusiyya

Nothing to report as Chronicler, except perhaps the usual call for content, especially art and items for the Village Square; and a friendly reminder that submissions for Volume 4 of the E-Horse are due November 24.

Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

No report submitted.

Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

No report submitted.

Whyt Whey • Vika Grigina z Prahy

This month’s Solar was fiber dyeing (taught by Þórfinnr).  Next month’s will be on 16th-century clothing, to get people geared up for 12th Night.

Our canton Herald (Erich) has stepped down.  So far, one gentle has expressed interest in taking on the role.

A community center on 133rd St. is being looked at for possible youth fighting and rapier practice.

The Cloisters demo successfully happened; our thanks to the event stewards for their hard work, and also for their excellent assembly of documentation for future stewards.

A motion was proposed recognizing & appreciating the care for the Province and the people of the Province shown by Alienor Salton.  It was seconded and carried.

Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi

No report submitted.

Brokenbridge • Brandr Aronsson

No report submitted.

This entry was posted in Commons. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *