Ostgardr Commons Minutes for April

Start Time: 8:15pm

SENESCHAL REQUEST
The Seneschal requests that all CANTON SENESCHALS please email him a list of Officers of your Cantons. Also, all CROWN PROVINCIAL OFFICERS, please email a full listing of all Deputies. Include their:
-Mundane Name
-SCA name (including title)
-Membership number
-Expiration date
-Email address
-Let’s make sure ALL officers are members!
-As an FYI, Seneschals can get a census of all EK members with their membership numbers and expiration date by contacting Milpitas, but it costs $5.

OFFICER’S REPORTS


Minister of Fencing, Marion of York (sent via email)
Other than Cake and Death fighter practice, I haven’t done much to report. Ettore has found space in a church  

Arts and Sciences, Lada Monguligin (sent via email):
-Call went out from TRM for beads for newcomers. So we will have a BEAD MAKING CLASS at Piglet’s on Saturday June 18th taught by Lord Conor  O Ceallaigh. Materials fee is $20 and can be paid at the door. Please RSVP to Lada to hold your space.
-Pennsic U deadline is May 1st- Consider teaching a class and sharing your knowledge. Additionally this year is Bog U which is exactly what it sounds like.
-SCRIBAL SHOPPING on April 30th: We will meet at the Astor Place Starbucks at 9am depart from there at 9:30am and head to two art stores nearby: Dick Blick and New York Central Art Supply. Then we will make the trip Uptown to Lee’s Art Shop on W57th.

 

Chronicler (via email)
-There is one deputy, John Elys, who is Webminister. It was noted by those attending that he has expressed interest in stepping down as webminister.

-MUSICIANS DAY – Blue Mountain Lodge was unavailable for traditional weekend (Nov 19-20), so we’re pencilled in for November 12-13. It does NOT conflict with Hundred Minutes’ War’ WarMusicians Day. Projected budget available
-Thomas of Northpass has been in touch with them. We are only pencilled in so we need to give them a check moderately soon or tell them we are cancelling. Cost is $600 for 2 days plus $200 deposit.

-It was noted by Francesco that not many people have administrative access to ostgard@panix so it would be better to move the list to an East Kingdom server.

Northpass, Thomas of Northpass
– Much of last meeting was spent on Barleycorn, but many details have changed since then (including the fact that it will 95% chance be investiture). Wilhelm is autocrat. Co-autocrat is Phil. Feastocrat is Sheldon Wax. Sephardic cooking was the original idea, but since it’s now investiture, a Mongolian feast would be fitting.

-The cost is $3000 for entire weekend, $1800 for feast. It has all been paid for. Northpass had ~$6k in their coffers (including the money given to pay for Barleycorn).

-Also GOAT’S TAVERN is coming up in the fall at Blue Mountain Lodge.

 

-Next month’s meeting is going to be at the beach instead of at Wilhelm’s so if you come up early you’re welcome to use Tom’s canoes and such.

Chatelaine of Northpass
Northpass has a new Chatelaine, Phil! He is trying to get some friends at Westchester Community College to see if they can get a club going. Needs to have 2 students to start club. He already has someone who can be staff sponsor.

Chatelaine, Sofya of Ostgardr
-Congrats to our new Chatelaine of Northpass, Phil!
-Next week, Sunday the 24th, is a GOLD KEY WORKSHOP. We have a lot of people coming to help make new loaner garb and even have a newcomer coming! Everyone is welcome to join in! Contact Sofya for details.
-Sofya is typing up an inventory of the current Gold Key and it will be in Exchequer’s hands by next meeting
-She will also be making queens favors if anyone wants to join in on that.


History, Richard the Poor:
-Viceregal polling is approved!

-We will be having an investiture in the not to distant future, and majesties will be required to be there. They will also be able to give out awards, so think about who you might want to NOMINATE AWARDS for, and check out next issue of E Horse to see the article about how to do that effectively.

 

-Piglet mentions about a museum? Or library? That’s interested in SCA archival materials. She will look it up and let people know the info.
EDITED TO ADD: Piglet found the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/17551346704/permalink/10153575174811705/
“the University of California Riverside Libraries has created a permanent SCA archival collection…If you have publications or media you would like to contribute, please contact the SCA Liaison to the UCR Libraries, Countess Leonora Morgana (Stacie Tibbetts) at collections@sca.org or at 714-544-8490 before 8 pm PST. (The University Libraries are unable to accept direct donations on behalf of the Society, and sending them materials directly could result in their loss.)”

Exchequer, Angelica di Nova Lipa
– We have about $7600 in checkings and $7400 in savings, so we have money.
-We have not gotten rid of funds from the (now-defunct?) Gilded Pearl (an East Kingdom guild that was focused on the Renaissance time period. It was started here and needed somewhere to put their money) yet, which is about $128. We will figure out what is the appropriate thing to do with the money

 

Whyt Whey, Alienor Salton
– Thorfinnr reports that Picnic in Ruins had to be rescheduled due to site permit issue. We were sent the permit, but the Parks Service double-booked the park and rescinded our permit.
-There will be QUEEN’S FAVOR KITS available at the next Solar. The class will be VIKING WIRE WEAVING taught by Thorfinnr. We may also be taste testing the Anglo-Norman dishes for a feast. (Was going to be for investiture, but that is going to be Barleycorn which already has a feastocrat)
-We will also be discussing the new Whyt Whey heraldry at the NEXT Solar. Two options are currently being conflict checked.


Captain of Archers, Suuder Saran:
We are starting ARCHERY this weekend at Staten Island.
– Haven’t heard from the Lions End marshall, so not sure when they will start up. She MAY step up to be Captain of Archers after investiture.

Brokenbridge, Suuder Saran
Baconbridge was well attended.
-Brokenbridge is NOT changing heraldry. That was a miscommunication.
-Ragnar Blitzkeg is going to step up as drop-dead Seneschal after investiture



Lion’s End, Francesco G Greco
– We have about $2600. Our last meeting had 3 people so couldn’t have quorum. Needed 6 officers and only had 5, so meeting was unofficial (?).
– Heraldry tabard was passed to Moungou (Gary), and Maria is freshening the tabard up now.


RECENTLY PASSED EVENTS

No recently passed events

UPCOMING EVENTS

Viking Day: May 14
-In Owl’s Head Park, put on the Scandinavian Museum.
-No more conflictcontradiction with Picnic in the Park.
-Brad will get in contact with site for details about when we need to arrive, leave, etc.
-Maria asked if we could put it on the EK Calendar.
-As long as posted in E Horse then we are covered for insurance. (EK calendar isn’t necessary for insurance), but we CAN post demo, so let’s do that.

Note by Thomas
– What is Ostgardr going to do with June 2-3 reservation at Veteran Memorial Park in Putnam Valley (was made as a possible investiture date) that Tom paid for out of pocket ($150)? Should he get money back or get future date? Tom has got a list of all future available dates and given it to Brad. But we can’t wait to decide.
-The site misses us doing demo and likes us
-We can get a much better deal, it’s only $150. Could hold 300-400 people piece of cake, but doesn’t have functioning kitchen. We can even have horses if let them know in time.
–Vote was made. Decided to get the money back, since it is relatively easy to re-reserve it when we decide when we need it.

 

Riverdale: Sunday, June 5 (NOT JUNE 4!!!)
-Laurie will autocrat it.
-We need(?) $600 for it.
-We will need to figure out how to do the tent once Mitch(?) leaves for Europe. It’s more a matter of transport and storage than how to get it up. Piglet has access to a van. Luigi can volunteer to keep stuff in his garage.

-We thought it was on the EK calendar, but it isn’t. We’ll need to fix that.

 

Queen’s Farm: Sept 25
– Ian is autocrat. Camping, fighting, and everything else.

Cloisters: Sept 18 (not yet official date)
– Because the museum puts out a yearly calendar that starts in the early summer, the Cloisters date is not officially official. But Piglet has asked her contact if we can verify the date as firm and will put it on EK Calendar when she hears. It should be Sept 18 which is 2 weeksish earlier than normal.

Investiture: Barleycorn
Their Majesties have contacted us, and said polling was valid. Congrats Lada and Suuder!
-Suuder: We have been in contact with TRM and Gui has been instrumental in talking with them. We are looking at Barleycorn for investiture. About a week ago TRM sent us a message saying that  Barony of Smoking Rock put in the same date as  Barleycorn for THEIR investiture, but since their polling is still in process, TRM has asked Smoking Rock to use a different date. Smoking Rock has tentatively agreed.  So we are 95% sure that it will be Barleycorn. Brad will let you know ASAP when it can be made official.
-Maria mentioned that it would be a nice gesture to thank Smoking Rock. Suuder says he and Lada plan on visiting them in Pennsic to thank them and possibly giving a gift. (Maybe also go to their investiture?)
See also: EternalCon demo and New Dorp HS Con demo mentioned in New Business


NEW BUSINESS

Bylaw Committee, Francesco G Greco
-The new Bylaw Committee is a committee to go through our laws and bylaws and find loopholes and other things that need to be fixed. Richard the PoorRufina, John, Beatrice, and Valgard have volunteered for this at the last Commons. We can still take volunteers if anyone wants to join.

Youth Participation, Thomas of Northpass
– His daughter (17 yo) doesn’t want to go to Pennsic, because it’s not fun for teens. She’s going to write a thesis paper about why. Thomas wants to create a committee to find out why kids don’t want to go. Is the SCA a fighter’s group or a family group?
-Tom wants to have two meetings at Pennsic one with 11 and under (with parents) and one with 12 and over (without parents). But he may need more Minor Chancellors? Would like to get Sir Edward (pennsic mayor) and some Royals to come.
-What sort of changes can we institute?
-Piglet mentioned the East Kingdom Forum of Teen Activities that has been having roundtables with teens and kids and started on doing some similar activites.
-Jackie recommended getting input from families who HAVE successfully had teenagers grow in the SCA and stay active

Old Known World Handbook
-If you have the old (1994?) version of Knowne World Handbooke, (the one with the blurb about Fun Mavens and Authenticity Mavens) contact Tom:


Eternal Con Demo: June 10-12, Zorikh
– There is a really good demo opportunity at a SFF con, EternalCon, June 10-12 in Garden City, NY at the Cradle of Aviation Museum. eternalcon.com
-The date is in conflict with Southern Region War Camp, but not everyone goes.
– ACL and several LARP groups had successful demos in parking lot. ACL might not be able to make it, but the con runners are interested in having similar. We can have a table or lots (workshop, lecture, panel discussion, fight demo. The more we do the more discounts or free passes they can give us.
– We Voted YES to do it
-We discussed whether we wanted to do one or two days. We thought two days would be a lot, but Maria is going to ask An Dubh if they wanted to do the other day since the con is near the border. For now, we will plan for Saturday only.
-Zorikh asks people to think about any workshops or lectures or other programming that they would like to give/hold.


New Dorp Fine Arts High School Comic con Demo: May 21
-Gui has brought to our attention a comic con being put on by the students at a high school in Staten Island
-It is very easy to access via public transport and car and there is parking.
-They will have an arena for LARPers, etc.
-Is anyone interested in taking the lead on this? Let us know!

 

UPCOMING MEETINGS

 

May: Baron Francesco (Lion’s End)
June: Lada and Suuder’s new home (Brokenbridge)
July: Nonexistent for Pennsic
August: Piglet (Whyt Whey)

Motion to adjourn: 10:33

This entry was posted in Commons. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *