Commons minutes May 2016

May Østgarðr Commons
[May 20? 2016]

REPORTS

Seneschal: The EK Webmaster (EK WM) thanked the Østgarðr Webminister (WM) for 18 years of service. Arnora has become the new WM.

i. Letter from EK WM to WM was read aloud in the meeting. EK WM suggests that Offices should have a term limit of 2 to 4 years. The EK WM forced a resignation of the current WM. Dissent was added into the minutes that there is not enough people to force term limits. Term Limits will not be used on the Canton level. Having term limits would cause people to play musical chairs with offices (but some people might object to being forced into another office). Not every office has a deputy because not many new people come to Commons Meetings. There was also concerns were brought up that events are only posted on Facebook.

ii. Seneschal Report: Baronè Francesco requested all Seneschals give all information for a master list of contacts for offices. Whyt Whey and Lion’s End give completed information. Broken Bridge is in flux. Northpass is finalizing their list.

Northpass: Barleycorn is coming up and preparations are going well. Northpass is trying to donate to the King’s travel fund. Barleycorn is a Kingdom level but not a Kingdom event. Barleycorn needs an archery marshal. Feastocrast for Barleycorn will be Mongolian. Barleycorn Autocrats are Wilhelm and Thomas’ son.

Chronicler: May Seahorse was sent twice because the deputy sent it the Seahorse editor did not get it (went to the wrong email) and sent it twice to be sure. Chronicler needs a new deputy. John (former WM) will be the new deputy Chronicler for now until anyone else will step up.

Fencing: Sword class NYC will have a fencing and fighting day for SCA fighter. Fencing is trying to get a Marshal to go to the McCarron Park practice on Monday nights. Fencing office cannot every meeting. Ettore Dandolo might have found a fencing space in Inwood but details are being worked out. A request was made to get the word out and let fighters and fencers to come to Barleycorn.

Exchequer: $1300 checking, $1200 saving. Whyt Whey has their own checking account. Paperwork submitted to kingdom for new seneschal to make money transactions. Guilded Pearl was asked to formalize their status if they were going out of business, they have $128 they might go into the Province.

Web Minister: Mailing list was moved to the EK host. Anyone on the old mailing list was added to the new mailing list. Anyone who is on the mailing list can post on the mailing list. ostgardrNYC@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org Email address came from Panix, but hosted by the SCA. All of the officer email address will be added to the list so they don’t have to subscribe. Going forward only SCA email addresses will be accepted if you want to update official information on the Ost website. When someone posts a new post to the website will be forward to the mailing list. In the future any officer will post to the site that will post to the mailing list that will post to the appropriate FB group. WM would like to have a meeting with all the canton’s WM to discuss the best way to handle requests. A question was asked if the private office boards would be moved to an EK site or would be still be hosted on the Yahoo group. It was agreed that the officer message board would be left on Yahoo Groups. It is in the Seneschal’s handbook to keep problem resolution at the lowest levels and so the Yahoo group will be keep to facilitate it. It is needed that if you want your name to be published and used you need to give written consent. The new Østgarðr WM has form available. If you do not give permission to have your information posted requests for information will go to the WM. The WM wants to change the calendar on the onsite and have the cantons use the same calendar to coordinate events, all officers were agreed this was a good idea. Østgärðr Seneschal requested the Østgärðr WM to send all her points to him as an email. Everyone officer will have the ability to post on the Østgärðr Website.

Herald: Herald was approached by a person to be a deputy herald. There will be a new Herald’s tabard, it is currently in the process being made.

Arts & Sciences: Glass Bead making class on June 18th. The reason we are going this class is the king and queen want to give them out to new comers.

Archery: Archery has started. One practice in Seaford and one in Staten Island. They have been well attended. A deputy Archery Marshal is being looked for. There is a person of interest but they need to be asked.

Brokenbridge: Brokenbridge needs to have a meeting. Officer will discuss a time that works. A deputy Seneschal has been chosen and will step in when the current seneschal steps down. A new A&S minster has been having classes and they have been successful.

Chatelaine (via email)
Gold Key:
Workshop-April 24th- Our gold key workshop on Sunday, April 24th was a huge success! I am proud of the work that was done: 13 pieces of badly needed sizes were completed. Thank you Godiva d’Mer, Þórfinn Hróðgeirsson, Arnora Ketilsdottir, Branimira of the Isles, and Angelica di Nova Lipa for spending your Sunday replenishing the gold key supply and supporting Ostgardr. You are amazing!

All gold key has been inventoried; a spreadsheet has been created and sent to our Exchequer, Angelica Di Nova Lipa, as per Kingdom request.
I will be submitting an invoice for $100 for budgeted gold key fabric.

Teen involvement: last commons meeting Lord Thomas brought up the subject of teens and their interest/involvement in the SCA. This subject has also been brought up by others as well and a forum on Facebook has been created to discuss this subject: East Kingdom Forum for Teen Activities. I think that a number of ideas presented in the forum can be implemented easily in Ostgardr but needs the support of our members. I think Barleycorn would be a great event to implement teen/youth activities. Maybe we can have a brief round table at Riverdale Riverfest to talk about details. I will be there and hope we can brain storm. Please shoot me an email if you are interested.

A new deputy chatelaine

I am very pleased to announce that Ostgardr has a new deputy chatelaine, Anneke Valmarsdotter. Anneke has volunteered to take on a role that she easily fits. Her grace, intellect and warming nature will be such a benefit to our recruitment of new members. Please take a moment to welcome her in her new role. Vivant!

EternalCon: June 10th through the 12th
We have been invited to participate at EternalCon in Garden City, NY and I pleased to say we have team of volunteers ready. During our last commons meeting, we agreed we would commit to Saturday, and open up Sunday to our neighbors, An Dubh. I’ve contacted their chatelaine and he’s working on recruiting for Sunday.

Although this event does conflict with Southern Region War camp, we still were able to create a wonderful program for EternalCon which will include medieval games, silk painting, and fencing. We even have a panel scheduled on the subject of persona! We will be given a table and volunteers will be given free access to the event. Thank you to our volunteers: Angelica di Nova Lipa, Richard the Poor, Ervald the Optimistic, Marion of York and Rónán fitz Robert for making this happen! I believe this is a wonderful opportunity for recruitment. I met Sunday with the organizer of EternalCon, Frank, and he was really excited to have us at his event and hopefully have us back next year.

Viceregents: Not in attendance

Viceregal Heirs: If you have awards you want requested, please put them forward for Barleycorn. Sir Edward of Northpass was suggested for an award for running Pennsic. If you have provincial awards send to current Viceregents and the Heirs. Also send in recommendations for kingdom awards.

PAST EVENTS

Viking Day – The event went well. There were several people who were interested in the SCA. SCA was paid for the event for $400. There was youth fighting. Everyone was impressed by weapon knowledge of Chinua. Chinua brought up that the SCA needs to be able to put on a show and needs to get fighters and fencers reengaged in Demos. Østgarðr needs to offer incentives for fighters to come out. It was suggested we should have an online forum to discuss

UPCOMING EVENTS

Riverdale Riverfest – Will we demo Archery? A marshal need to inspect the site and a member of the site’s staff need to check the site to see if an archery range can safely be there. SCA will be paid $400.

Queens Farm – A&S events are trying to be had to produce things to show at the Demo.

Cloisters – Date is set for 9/18. Alienor is taking point on the event.

Musicians’ Day – It is Veterans’ Day weekend, moved from the weekend before Thanksgiving. Wilhelm will take charge of reservation. It was asked if people would be interested in a track of “New to You” classes. Local musicians would like to do more local outreach. Due to schedule conflict, the event needs a new head cook.

UPCOMING DEMOS

New Dorp High School Demo – Comic Convention that asked the SCA to attend.

OLD BUSINESS

Viceregal Investiture at “John Barleycorn 2016” – Full Marshal Championships will be at Barleycorn.

[OLD Business – Gambling for fencers? ]

Do we have a liquor license, no but we have the local police giving us permission to have alcohol on site as long as we did not sell it or give it to minors. Are we going to have liquor? Yes. The SCA does not want any of its officers or groups to gift alcohol. What if an SCA member got a liquor license for a day? If a person gets a liquor license, they person can use that license, not the SCA. Officers can give the King and Queen a gift of alcohol

NEW BUSINESS

Creation of a “Scribe” – should we make an office for Scribe, or make a “Deputy Seneschal – Recording Secretary”. The downside was making sure they come to meetings, or making sure the Recording Secretary has someone as a substitute.

Alec will be the new Østgarðr Deputy Captain of Fence, under THLady Marion of York.

UPCOMING MEETINGS

June – Lada & Suuder’s home
July – None, due to PENNSIC
August – Arnora and Ragnarr’s home
September – Pending

Call to adjourn meeting: Brekke
Seconded: Rufina
“All in favour?” – Unanimous
End time: 10:39

This entry was posted in Commons. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *