Commons minutes March 2016

Ostgardr Commons, 18 Mar 2016
Transcribed by Rowan Sawyer

Minutes of the Commons of the Crown Province of Ostgardr, 18 March 2016

In attendance:
Baron Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa – Seneschal
Master John Elys – Webminister
THLady Lada Monguligin – A&S
THLord Thomas the Constable of Northpass – Northpass
Lady Beatrice of Ostgardr – Scribe
Magistra Rufina Cambrensis – Chronicler
Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver – Knight Marshal
Lady Godiva d’Mer – (WW: A&S)
Lord Alexander MacLachlan
Lady Angelica Di Nova Lipa – Exchequer
Lady Sofya Gianetta di Trieste – Chatelaine
Lady Alienor Salton – Whyt Whey
Master Philip White

Start Time: 8:01pm
End Time: 9:44pm
Proposed: Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver
None opposed.

Reports

Seneschal Report: Baron Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa
The Seneschal would like to have a full and comprehensive listing of all the officers and deputies in Ostgardr; as such he requests:
All Canton Seneschals email him a full and complete listing of all Cantonal Officers
All Crown Provincial Officers email him a full and complete listing of all deputies and officers.
Please include the following in the above reports;
Mundane Name
Medieval Name, including title
Membership Number, with expiration date
Email address

Arts and Sciences Report: The Honorable Lady Lada Monguligin
Arts and Sciences are flourishing in the Province, both Brokenbridge and Whyt Whey have regular A&S nights.
Last night, Lady Godiva d’Mer taught a class on Pysanki, the Ukrainian art of dyeing eggs.
Next month in Whyt Whey, there will be a class on wire weaving. Keep an eye out for more A&S events!

Exchequer: Lady Angelica Di Nova Lipa
There is $7699.35 in the bank account, including all guilds, other groups, and cantons.
Northpass and Lions End have their own accounts and are not included in the above number.
(The Honorable Lord Thomas the Constable of Northpass reports that there is about $5000 in their bank account.)
THLord Thomas asks if the Gilded Pearl’s account was closed, and if so, what happened to the money.
The Gilded Pearl was a guild that may have recently ended.
The Exchequer will look into it, and report back next meeting.

Webmaster: Master John Elys
The Webmaster will be stepping back to being deputy, and his deputy (Norana) will be stepping up to be Webmaster.
The Webmaster has been looking into having meetings held in cyberspace.
This was discussed at the officers’ meeting
Many people have a hard time coming out to weeknight meetings, as this involves upwards of 2 hours travel time, in addition to the meeting itself.
Options are as follows:
gotomeeting.com: $39/month for up to 25 participants per meeting; $49 for up to 100. Free 1month trial. Video, screensharing, voice, recording. Can get 50% discount for nonprofits (plus $12 admin fee) through TechSoup on up-to-25-participants plan. See www.techsoup.org/search/products/Citrix
webex.com: $39/month for up to 25 participants per meeting; $49 for up to 100. (Costs more if not buying a whole year at a time). Video, screensharing, voice, collaborative document markup & whiteboard, recording (incl. video)
uberconference.com: Free for up to 10 participants; $10/month/organizer for up to 100 (costs more if not buying a whole year at a time). Phone and VoIP audio, screensharing, document sharing, recording
Google hangouts: Free. “group chats for up to 100 people”; up to 10 video. Also have voice capability; not sure of the limits. Can record text conversations, probably not A/V.
The group considers that Google hangouts would be better for smaller groups, with documents being collaborated in real time. In addition, while you do need a google account to access it, you do not need to have a gmail address. Options for larger meetings to be discussed in the future.

Chronicler’s Report: Magistra Rufina Cambrensis
When giving reports on demos, please send information to the Chronicler, who will advertise it in the Seahorse. Please email, call, or whatever else you need to do to get her the information.
Bish has made an archive group, with the intention of storing all records, including reports, and Seahorse publications.
This will allow for easier access to all information
This will also allow us to keep better track of reporting by officers
Webmaster will work with Bish to secure the archive
Reminder to all to subscribe to the eHorse, it is entirely free!

Knight Marshal’s Report: Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver
Fight practices and events throughout winter
One official practice in Williamsburg, happening intermittently on weekends, and under another group’s banner
We had a birthday party for the Viceroy at Swordplay NYC, with cake, soda. 3 rapier fighters, and 2 rattan fighters present.
There have been no injuries, issues or new authorizations
Reminder about using allowed space: When we have a space, do not leave the rooms allowed, or this will result in our losing the space. This may be happening to other groups, but is good for no one.
Projections for spring practices
There is a discussion happening about the day and time of practices in spring and going into summer.
Should be sorted out by next meeting
No report on archery

Seneschal of Canton of Whyt Whey: Lady Alienor Salton
More paperwork is required for the bank; should be taken care of by next meeting
Cloisters demo has been moved to September 18th, and will be discussed under New Business.

Chatelaine’s Report: Lady Sofya of Ostgardr

Gold Key

All gold key has been boxed, and the Chatelaine is taking a new inventory of it.
There will be a tunicmaking workshop, either on Apr. 17th or the 24th. It will be an all day event, food will be provided, but labour is needed! Please keep an eye out for the event listing

Enigma Bookstore Demo

With Angelica and Richard
Great small, interactive event, that allowed us to learn a lot about how we want tables to be set up in future.
Great showing, with interested people, much better than last year.
Hope to have it next year, but unsure if owners will have the demo next year, although they support us.

Workshops and Classes in the Fall

Working with Jackie to create classes for the fall and workshops
Workshops and classes would be either at Jackie or Sofya’s places.
There will be a survey sent out to gauge what people are interested in learning, teaching, and volunteering

Seneschal of Northpass: The Honorable Lord Thomas of Northpass

Bear’s Tavern happened this year. Made a few hundred dollars, as the event sold out
Philip the Firstborn is considering becoming Chatelain of Northpass.
He would like to discuss the matter with Lady Sofya
They do not have their own gold key at present.

Barleycorn

Northpass bank account has around $5000 in it, which is NOT enough to cover Barleycorn, which is $3000 a day, not including additionals, or food costs
A new site is needed due to accessibility issues and weather

Arts and Sciences Minister of Canton of Whyt Whey: Lady Godiva d’Mer

Monthly A&S meetings

These meetings serve as both gatherings and teaching events
Last meeting was March 17th, and was a class on Pysanky. There will be a description on Facebook and in the Seahorse, as well as in the new archive. It was a great success, and Lady Godiva is considering holding another one after Pennsic. Pysanky is not suitable for children as the dye is toxic

Next meeting is April 21st, and will be a class on viking wireweaving, by Thorfirr. It is requested that you bring 24 gauge wire.

A&S Initiative; Songbook

We are creating a songbook that will include the Anthem of the East, as well as various other songs that people would like to sing.
We already have 12 songs, which prints out to 5 pages.

Report from Lion’s End

There are two people interested in becoming Seneschal
They have a little over $2600 in the account

Viceregal comments: neither present

Minutes of Officer Corps Meeting

(Meeting minutes are in the works, high points given)

1. Elections
a. New Exchequer, Herald, and Seneschal were elected

2. Investiture
a. Discussion on location and timing.
i. It is preferred to have Investiture in Ostgardr
ii. The Royals are able to make September 3rd.

3. ByLaw Committee
a. There are several gaps in the bylaws, and it is decided to create a committee to look into it and make recommendations to the Officers as to what should be fixed

Upcoming Events and Demos

1. Viking Demo, 14th May 2016
2. Picnic in the Park, 14th May 2016 [Cancelled — editor]
3. Riverdale Riverfest, 4th June 2016
4. Queens Farm, 24th and 25th of September
a. Autocrat is Baron Ian
5. Fort Tryon Medieval Fair Demo, 18th September

Old Business

1. Viceregal Polling and Investiture
a. Viceregal polling has been successful, and we have met quorum.
i. Date and place of Investiture are being worked out
ii. Master Philip and Lady Sofya to co-autocrat
iii. As yet there is no Feastocrat

New Business

1. ByLaw Committee
a. As per the Officers’ meeting, we need to have a committee to go through the ByLaws for loopholes, and present report to Officers
b. It must hold at least one officer.
c. Brekke, Richard the Poor, and Beatrice are interested.

Next Three Commons Meetings

1. Discussion
a. A discussion was had regarding when the next meetings should be held. Val proposed and Rufina seconded a motion to cancel the July meeting due to Pennsic.
Val proposed and John seconded a motion to cancel the May meeting as it is in the middle of demo season. Rufina points out that it would be an excellent time for the committees to get together and have meetings themselves

2. April Meeting
a. To be held at Alienor Salton’s

3. June Meeting
a. To be held at Baron Francesco’s, unless another place can be found

4. August Meeting
a. To be held at Lady Lada’s new residence.

End of Meeting Reminder that the following Officers are in need of replacement
1. Lion’s End Seneschal
2. Master of Lists

This entry was posted in Commons. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *