Commons Minutes for November 2018

The November commons meeting was held November 16 at the Greenvale Townhouse diner in Lions End. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Rhuadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

November 2018 Minutes • Østgarðr Commons

Attendance

Present

Suuder Saran, Viceroy
Lada Monguligin, Vicereine
Alienor Salton, Seneschal
Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal, Deputy Webminister
Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
Esnede O Murrin, Northpass Seneschal
Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
Marian of York, Lions End Lieutenant of Fence
Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa, Lions End Herald
Jenna Childslayer
Titus Aurelius Magnus, An Dubhaigeainn Prefect
Monkey Makgee, An Dubhaigeainn Deputy Webminister

Online

Angelica di Nova Lipa, Exchequer
Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal
John Elys, Deputy Chronicler
Friedrich Grimme
Lilie Dubh inghean ui Mordha
Donnchadh mac Eóin
Rakkurai of Kamakura
Richard the Poor
John Xavier Boullier, An Dubhaigeainn Seneschal

Absent Officers

Beatrice della Rocca, Chatelaine
Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Minister of Arts & Sciences, Historian
Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
Erich Guter Muth, Minister of Lists
Rufina Cambrensis, Chronicler
Anne of Østgarðr, Webminister
Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal

Opening

  • Called to order at: 7:25 PM.
  • Seneschal: Thanks/congratulations….
    • Devra the Baker for tables, tablecloths & baking supplies.
    • Pinky for folding armless camp chairs.
    • Ozurr the Bootgiver & Fortune St. Keyne, Prince & Princess of Tir Mara.
  • Musician’s day is cancelled. Site was booked by another group.

Officer Report Items For Discussion

  • When planning an event, please check the Google document “Event Planning in Østgarðr” on the Østgarðr officers team drive.  

    Please email webminister@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org or seneschal@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org if you need access to it.  As soon as your group has an idea of when they might want to host an event, please email all the local seneschals using the list seneschal-officers@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org

    Additional event planning process ideas are welcomed.
  • Our exchequer is sending out donation acknowledgement letters.  If you have made a donation and would like such a letter for your tax filings, please email exchequer@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org

Sidebar to Exchequer: SCA, Inc. has this form: https://www.sca.org/officers/exchequer/SCA_Donation_Form.pdf

  • A college in Queens is interested in having us do a mid-day one-hour presentation in the spring.  Is anyone interested in doing this? Please email chatelaine@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org to coordinate.
    • Yes: Esnede, Alec
  • We need indoor sites for armored combat, fencing, bardic circle.  Ervald is offering his workspace in LIC for indoor dance practice.
  • A number of rides have been requested for 100 Minutes War (Ervald, Winfield, Azem) and for Musician’s Day (Thorfinnr, Lada).  If you have any extra space, please offer it on our Facebook group or directly to the gentles mentioned above.
  • Financial committee: sidebar to approve fencing budget gear request from Alec MacLachlan.  [Request approved.]

Committees and Projects

  • Coronation bid: joint bid with An Dubh. April 6th or 13th.  Venetian theme for about 500 people. An Dubh volunteers for dayboard, Brandr to lead feast crew.  Possible site in Wantagh (Nassau County). Bid deadline Dec. 15th. We have 1 volunteer to co-steward from Østgarðr, is anyone else interested in the position?

Site:

    • Uji’s doesn’t have enough kitchen.
    • Macy point, near river, has kitchen,  not cheap, trees separate it from road, ADA accessible, banquet hall seats 250 — need 300.
    • Bish suggests another VFW site — Suuder is checking it out.
  • Provincial storage / inventory:  

    New items added to provincial storage: 3 folding tables, 14 folding armless camp chairs, baking supplies (2 rolling pins, baking tins), table cloths.  Suuder is working on retrieving the provincial feast gear from Northpass. Storage trailer is increasingly appealing option. 14’ American Hauler $1000 on Craigslist: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tro/d/front-and-rear-door-with-ramp/6745074554.html

Non-commercial light-duty trailers in NYS do not require insurance.  Must be registered (license plate) and safety inspected once a year. The inspection sticker travels in the towing car.  We can register the trailer using the organization, rather than a person. Trailers under 1000 pounds are issued a transferable registration rather than a title.  Fees are minimal for the above. https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-trailer

Ed points out that we will need theft insurance, even if we don’t need vehicle (collision & liability) insurance.  He reports that trailer requirements in PA include liability insurance, so we should double-check that our proposed trailer fits under the DMV guidelines as I interpreted them.  SCA, Inc. lease agreement for the trailer (to be signed by anyone storing or transporting the trailer) is here: https://www.sca.org/officers/exchequer/SCALeaseAgreement.pdf  SCA, Inc. financial policies regarding trailers are here: http://www.sca.org/docs/finpolicies/SocietyExchequerPolicies.pdf

Contents for trailer: green & white tent (8’ poles), loaner armor?, youth combat gear?, gold key, feast gear, folding tables/chair/tablecloths, regalia?

Who has space & willingness to park such a trailer in their driveway?  Who has a hitch on their vehicle for transporting said trailer?

    • Esnede: may later have driveway space.
    • Hitches: Alienor, Suuder.  

Friderich: Wilhelm is ready to give up feast gear.  

    • Suuder: I’m working on picking it up; if you can send me a picture.
  • Bylaws Committee [report from Mathghamhain]
    • I reached out to the seneschals and officers of the cantons for feedback and am working on incorporating the suggestions I’ve received from them into my proposed draft.
    • I’m trying to schedule a Google Hangouts session for next week to identify any remaining areas that need work and put together a roadmap to getting this into shape for dissemination to the officers and populace.
    • If you have any suggestions, now is the time to send them.
  • Regalia Committee [report for Coronet Committee from Sofya]

The committee is in the process of scheduling a date in December to review designs. Our goal is to finalize the design by the end of the new year.

  • Letters of intent
    • Rakkurai for MoL:

I am interested in applying for the position of Minister of Lists. I am prepared to accept the attendant responsibilities of the position.

Count Sir Rakkurai of Kamakura OSC

    • Donnchadh for MoAS:

Greetings Officers of Østgarðr,

​My name is Donnchadh mac Eoin, mundanely known as [redacted]. I am announcing my interest in the office of Østgarðr Minister of Arts & Sciences. After speaking with Mistress Sofya about the responsibilities of the office, I think that I would be a good fit for the position. As I understand the position, Minister of A&S is about encouraging enjoyment and participation in the many arts and sciences the society (and our province) offers. I believe my enthusiasm for helping others find something they love in the society is well known. I have been active at many of our recent demos, helping sell the society to potential members, particularly the arts and sciences.

As Minister of Arts & Sciences, as well as the primary duties of being an active officer and providing quarterly reports to the Kingdom Minister of A&S, I have several ideas that I would like to propose. First, I would like to make an attempt to have some kind of A&S presence at every Provincial event. Be it displays, classes, or competitions, I would like to find a way to integrate A&S everywhere. As A&S is very well represented in Østgarðr, I do not expect that to be too difficult. Second, I would like to work with the Viceroyalty to come up with some kind of A&S “circuit” competition over several events, with both individual event and overall recognition. Third, I intend to actively work with the Chroniclers, provincial and cantonal, to not just promote events and workshops, but to promote the talented artisans of our province and their arts. Hopefully, this can be a monthly thing, but we shall see what form it takes. Lastly, I would like to work with the provincial Chatelaine to provide A&S materials for distribution to potential members. These would have examples of the many arts available locally as well as a schedule of the next few A&S events and workshops in the province. I think these four goals are reasonable for someone starting out as a Minister of A&S. Of course, there are many more things we could try.

I hope these preceding goals and credentials speak to my qualifications to be the next Provincial Minister of Arts and Sciences. Regardless of your decision, I am forever in your service as an ambassador for Østgarðr and the arts and sciences of our society.

In Service,
Donnchadh mac Eoin

  • We still need a chronicler and a chatelaine.
    • The A&S projects described above would provide content that facilitates newsletter creation.
    • Please nominate people​​ for these positions!

Other Business

  • Siege of Granada: location & date are in flux.  Not enough room for martial activities at Glen Head American Legion.  Good possibility for other events. Considering May 11, Putnam County Veteran’s Memorial Park (same site as Blood & Axes).
    • Jenna: applying for playing field by Glen Head, needs insurance cert [provided].
    • Esnede: Putnam likes us
      • Jenna: do they have water?
      • A: yes
  • Queer History Schola: need to confirm budget, cut a check for the site deposit. Financial committee has received responses from event steward.
  • Østgarðr / An Dubh Challenge: Chinua is steward. Location? Date?
    • Suuder: talking with Chinua about it
  • Heraldic Symposium: Dec 1st, Levittown.  (The symposium is for heralds, Ragnarr’s heraldic class later the same day is for populace.)
  • Fight for a Cause: Lada is working on site search.  If anyone knows of an indoor gym space, please let her know at vicereine@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org or reach out to the potential site.
    • Jenna: will ask Glen Head American Legion post.
  • Bish: friend donated two sets of youth fencing gear, modern wire.
    • Alec : will accept.
  • Bish: trying to unload a Sewing dummy, size 5-6?
  • Esnede: offers to host a favor-making session as a sewing machine demo at her store, where we can machine-embroider many favors for our Queen.  Will need cost of materials.. Plan for January.
  • Jenna: maybe split up the An Dubh / Ostgardr challenge?  Titus: maybe just do populace challenges, rather than populace and champions?  Goal is for the event judges to enjoy themselves, not be run ragged. Scheduling is very tight when we do all the championships.

Upcoming Events & Activities

  • Musicians’ Day: Nov 16–18, Peekskill

At the time of Østgarðr Commons, the event staff will be setting up the site and welcoming the first event attendees. More info including class list is at http://goliards.us/events/md2018

CANCELED

  • Hundred Minutes War: Nov 17, Sparta NJ
  • Scribal Gold Leaf Workshop: Nov 18, Manhattan
  • Metropolitan Museum Trip: Nov 24
  • Heraldic Symposium (for book heralds): Dec 1 (afternoon), Levittown
  • Heraldic Class (for populace): Dec 1 (evening), Brooklyn
  • Decameron Garb Workshop (pattern draping): Dec 2, Astoria
  • Bhakail Yule Revel: Dec 8, Philadelphia
  • Whyt Whey Yule Revel (all are welcome!): Dec 15, Manhattan
  • Deck the Halls of Valhalla (Viking & Norse themed classes wanted): Jan 12, Brooklyn
  • Decameron Garb Workshop: Jan 20, TBD
  • Birka: Jan 25-27, Manchester NH
  • Dancing Fox: Feb 2, Kingston NY
  • Æ Swim: Feb 16-17, Milton PA
  • Dragonship Haven Baronial Investiture (K&Q Bardic): Feb 23, New Haven CT
  • Decameron Garb Workshop: Feb 24, TBD
  • Bear’s Tavern: March 2-3, Peekskill
  • EK CoP Bardic Challenge: March 2, Moorestown NJ
  • Queer History Schola: March 9, Brooklyn
  • Mudthaw (K&Q A&S): March 30, Roseland, NJ
  • Coronation: April 6 or 13, TBD
  • Balfar’s Challenge: April 20, SW CT
  • A Day of the Decameron: April 27, Mount Kisco
    • Site is under renovation kitchen not done; renting first floor other site
    • Moving to American Legion has more space, will increase cap to 125/150
    • Ed, Brandr will visit to consider decor
    • Lilie uploading site forms to Facebook group
  • Lions Awaken: May 4, Oyster Bay (Nassau)
    Crown tourney might be southern region, if so, will need kingdom permission to conflict.
  • Siege of Granada: May 11, Putnam County?

Upcoming Commons Meetings

December 21

  • Canceled for holidays; officer elections by email conclude at midnight eastern.

January 18

  • To be held in Northpass, at Ossining Public Library.
  • Conference room
  • Near train — taxi $3

[update: location closes at 6pm in winter.  Searching for a new location.]

February 15

  • To be held in Østgarðr proper (LIC), at Sussman Automatic.

Closing

  • Meeting closed at 8:34 PM.

November 2018 Reports • Østgarðr Commons

Viceregals • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

New Royals and Coronation
Our recently stepped down Rattan Champion Ozurr the Bootgiver won Crown Tournament. He is the Heir to the Eastern Throne and Prince of Tir Mara. Princess Fortune St Keyne resides in the Boston area.

Since Ozurr up until very recently was champion for both Østgarðr and An Dubh, we are working on a joint Coronation bid. Date 4/6/19 (preferred) or 4/13/19. The idea is to have event co-stewards one from each group.

Their Highnesses wish a Venetian theme for the Coronation for about 500 people.  An Dubh has offered to do the dayboard. Brandr has stepped forward to lead the feast crew and started the conversation among some of the local cooks.

The Viceroy visited a site St. Markella Greek Orthodox Church in Wantagh, NY in Nassau County. They have a large hall for over 300 people seated at tables. So even more for theater style seating. There are 3 classrooms that can be used as royal rooms and other needs.  There is a kitchen with fridges, freezer, sinks and counters/prep space. The stove is not commercial, but they are happy to let us set up any kitchen stuff we want outside.
There is parking. The Viceroy has some videos of the outside space including parking that he can share.

If you have other site ideas please reach out to them and let us know asap.  The bid deadline is Dec 15th. We need a co-steward.

Event planning communication
We need a better way to communicate prospective event planning as a group.
Often when an event starts getting planned folks will look at the calendar and decide on a date. Then we get to a commons meeting or put this out to the group, only to find out that someone else is already planning an event on the same day.  This leads to unintentionally hurt feelings and makes us all lose time trying to find a new date and possibly a new site.

We ask that the local seneschals make each other aware of any and all events and demos, as soon as possible.  There is a local seneschal only email group seneschal-officers@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org . Perhaps a good start would be for every seneschal to email to the above list of all upcoming events and demos, even tentative in the pipeline ones.  

If you have an idea on how to better streamline this process please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are a very active group, with lots of people having cool event ideas. We would like to see as many of those to happen as possible.

Seneschal • Alienor Salton

New items added to provincial storage: 3 folding tables, ?? folding armless camp chairs, baking supplies (2 rolling pins, baking tins), table cloths.  Suuder is working on retrieving the provincial feast gear from Northpass. Storage trailer is increasingly appealing option. 14’ American Hauler $1000 on Craigslist: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tro/d/front-and-rear-door-with-ramp/6745074554.html

Non-commercial light-duty trailers in NYS do not require insurance.  Must be registered and safety inspected once a year. The inspection sticker travels in the towing car.  We can register the trailer using the organization, rather than a person. Trailers under 1000 pounds are issued a transferable registration rather than a title.  Fees are minimal for the above. https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-trailer  

Contents for trailer: green & white tent (8’ poles), loaner armor?, youth combat gear?, gold key, feast gear, folding tables/chair/tablecloths, regalia?

Who has space & willingness to park such a trailer in their driveway?  Who has a hitch on their vehicle for transporting said trailer?

Exchequer • Angelica di Nova Lipa

The Money
As of November 17, 2018 our total liquid assets held in Savings and Checking accounts in two banks are:

Capitol One Bank    $ 8,716.65
TD Bank Savings     $ 1,000.13
TD Bank Checking    $ 3,959.58
Total:              $13,676.36

Of that amount Østgarðr holds in trust for
Brokenbridge:   $2,404.91
Nordenfjord:    $1,280.01
Total:          $3,684.92

All Banked funds:                   $13,676.36
minus Brokenbridge and Nordenfjord: $ 3,684.92
Østgarðr’s funds:                   $ 9,991.44

There will be a change in the next quarter where we declare bad debt on very old bounced checks, which will reduce the dollar amounts we hold for Brokenbridge (demo fee bounced) and Nordenfjord (individual event attendee check bounced).  We will also debit the Nordenfjord fund when the $27 check issued to them for their re-naming request to EK clears the bank.

The Capitol One Bank account funds will shortly be transferred to TD Bank and the Capitol One Bank accounts closed following East Kingdom requirements.  

While it appears that Østgarðr is swimming in money, be aware that we have committed funds for multiple upcoming events and that all events involve a degree of risk to capital.   

The third quarter financial report to EK was submitted.  

Exchequer deliverables
Generation of letters which acknowledge donations to Østgarðr (as a 501.3c entity) by individuals.  

Turnover of Exchequer Office from Angelica di Nova Lipa (legal name Angela Ferber) to Francisco de Braga (legal name Francisco Duraes) effective January 1, 2019.  Bank signing authorization changes being scheduled.

We have an EK mandated requirement going forward to generate a yearly budget.     

Review of Books is pending for Østgarðr and all member Cantons who have not yet performed the review.

Chatelaine • Beatrice della Rocca

Gold Key
Gold Key is present and accounted for.

College Presentation in Spring
There is a college in Queens who is interested in having a few of us out for a presentation in April.

The presentation would take place over an hour in the middle of the day.

Is there anyone who would be interested or able to do this? I have not made any commitments, and am still trying to figure out exactly what they are looking for.

End of Term
I am approaching the end of my time in office. During that time I want to focus on getting a conceptual newcomers’ weekend together, consisting of a series of classes aimed at newcomers with the hope that my successor would take them over.

I am happy to talk with whoever is interested in stepping up, and recommend that whoever next holds this office should have room for Gold Key and the means to get it to site.

That’s it, thanks! I will not be attending the meeting this weekend.

Diversity Deputy • Apollodora Alethes of Delphi

Nothing to report.

Arts & Sciences • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

  • Østgarðr has been very active with activities and classes taking place throughout the Province. Check the calendar for scheduled events and don’t lose out on the many classes and events in our area.
  • Our Queen is in need of favors!  Please consider making one or two.
  • Don’t forget: King & Queens A&S Champion will be selected at Mudthaw-March 30th. If you plan on entering please visit the Minister of Arts & Science website to find detailed information on how to enter, documentation, rubric and more: moas.eastkingdom.org. If you have questions please contact me.
  • Our next Decameron workshop is scheduled for December 2nd. We have large number of people planning on attending so come prepared to work and have all materials needed. Workshop dates are as follows:
    o   December 2nd: location: Maestra Sofya’s place
    o   January 20th: location TBD
    o   February 24th : location TBD

    o   All dates fall on Sunday
    o   Time: 12 to 6PM
    o   Appetizers and beverages will be provided but donations are always welcome.
    o   For the first of these date we will drape patterns and cut fabric. If you’re done with your pattern, you can help someone else create theirs.
    o   Don’t forget: all attendees should bring the following:
    §  Pins
    §  Scissors
    §  Muslin (3 yards)-woven fabric with no stretch
    §  Pencil/pen
  • As you know, I will be stepping down as Østgarðr’s Minister of Arts & Science this January 2019. It has been an honor and a pleasure representing Østgarðr in this position. Thank you for allowing me to serve.

Herald • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

  • We’ll be holding a book heraldry symposium in Lions End on Saturday, December 1. We’ll cover the basics of book heraldry, including submission procedures, armory design rules, and name research tips. Anyone interested in becoming a branch or consulting herald, or improving their skills in those areas, are encouraged to join us for the afternoon.
  • I’m working on research for a couple of name registrations. (Plus one for Prince Ozurr’s boot!)

Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre

  • We have had a steady stream of new people coming and going from fighter practice, but now that it is getting cold, we will not be going to McCarren Park againm this year.
  • I am looking for an indoor site, and if anyone else has one, please let me know.
  • Myself and at least one new fighter could use a ride to 100 minutes War, if anyone has the room.

Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

  • We have had 2-3 people come to the Central Park Practice.  Last week was our last night, as it’s too cold now. (On a side note I think we got a preventative treatment for Raccoon distemper!)  I am looking at an indoor site uptown.
  • I will be submitting a request to use some of the fencing budget to buy gear at the meeting.
  • I’ll be at Friday’s Commons.

Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

Archery practice is over till warmer weather.

Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

I’ll be marshaling at Hundred Minutes War this Saturday in Settmour — the last outdoor youth-combat event of the year in our region.

Minister of Lists • Erich Guter Muth

Nothing to report.

Webminister • Anne of Østgarðr

Social Media Deputy • Apollodora Alethes of Delphi

Nothing to report.

Chronicler • [vacant]

No report submitted.

Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

No report submitted.

Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

Due to life circumstances Annals from July to present have been delayed but are in the process of being finalized and will be reported in the next two weeks.

Northpass • Esnede O Murrin

We are planning many new activities including a local dance practice. We have don’t have anything new to update.

Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi

Lions Awaken date is set for 5/4/2019 @ Reform Church of Locust Valley
– Helga and Uji cooking. Duggmore and Meri are event stewards.

Whyt Whey • Vika Grigina z Prahy

  • Reminder: no solar in December, but there will be a holiday revel on Dec. 15!
  • Working on a draft budget & financial policy per new (or newly clarified) Kingdom Exchequer policy.
  • Next Commons is January.

Brokenbridge • Brandr Aronsson

  • November saw our wonderful Østgarðr Seneschal teach a well attended Lucet class.
  • Brokenbridge officers were ratified.
  • One addendum was added to the Brokenbridge bylaws allowing current or past active members of Østgarðr to hold officer positions. The rule change was proposed in October and voted and passed by a majority.
  • Ragnarr will be teaching a Heraldry class and helping folks with their name and device submissions on Friday Nov 30, at his home in Ditmas Park.
  • Plans for Deck the Halls of Valhalla are on the way and a call has gone out for teachers to teach Viking and Norse themed classes as well as volunteers.
This entry was posted in Commons. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *