Commons Minutes for March 2019

March 2019 Minutes • Østgarðr Commons

The March commons meeting was held March 15 at the American Legion Hall in Mount Kisco, NY.  Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attendance

Present — 5 members of the officers council, 8 other members of the populace

  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal, Coronation Event Steward
  • Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Sarah of Whyt Whey, Chronicler
  • Esnede O Murrin, Northpass Seneschal
  • Apollodora of Delphi, Deputy Chatelaine, Deputy Webminister
  • Lilie Dubh, Day of Decameron event steward
  • Friderich Grimme
  • Thomas of Northpass
  • Aurora ffolkes
  • Richard the Poor of Ely
  • Colin
  • Dennis

Online — 4 members of the officers council

  • Suuder Saran, Il-Khan
  • Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun
  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal
  • Anne of Østgarðr, Webminister

Absent Officers — 10 members of the officers council

  • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya, Chatelaine
  • Donnchadh mac Eoin, MoAS
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
  • Rakkurai of Kamakura, Minister of Lists
  • Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Historian
  • Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal
  • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
  • Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal

Opening

  • Called to order at 8:05pm.
  • Mathghamhain: As the Seneschal is unable to attend this meeting in person, she has asked me to chair the meeting. I will begin by reading through a number of agenda items she has prepared in advance.
  • Thank you to Mistress Sofya for negotiating the free use of this site tonight.  
  • Congratulations to Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya, newly selected as Queen’s Bardic Champion.
  • Thank you to Geoffrey of Exeter, also of our populace, for his excellent service as the prior Queen’s Bardic Champion.

  • Congratulations to Lada Monguligin, inducted into the Order of the Laurel.

  • Thank you to Arnora Ketilsdottir for volunteering to become our provincial Chancellor Minor.  Huzzah!

  • Thank you to Apollodora of Delphi for running a very successful Queer History Schola.  The Brooklyn Pride Center would like to co-sponsor the event next year.

Upcoming Events and Volunteer Opportunities

  • There have been so many new events added to the EK calendar since our commons last month! We’ve updated the Østgarðr event planner document, but please review the kingdom calendar, social media, and other sources of information and let us know if you spot anything we’ve missed that might be of interest to our populace.  Our webminister will include them on an “upcoming events” post to our website.
  • Nordenfjordr, the neighboring shire soon to be known as Stonebridges, will hold its first-quarter business meeting on Wednesday, March 27 at 7PM in the main meeting room at New City Library in New City, NY.
  • Mudthaw is March 30.
    • The entry deadline for A&S displays is March 23.  (The deadline for competition entries has already passed.)  This is a great opportunity to get feedback from some of the best artisans and scientists in the Kingdom!
  • Lada is teaching a calligraphy workshop in Northpass on March 31st, starting around 1:00 or 2:00.
    • Apollodora: I can ferry Lada from the train station to the workshop.
  • Coronation is April 6 —let’s all turn out for our local unbelted hero, and make this a glorious day that will live long in the sagas of our fair kingdom.
    • This is the last week to pre-register for the event online.
    • There will be an A&S display of the scribal arts — anyone who wishes to have a scroll displayed (received or created), please bring it to event.  If you know in advance that you will be bringing a scroll, please email Master Vettorio Antonello at 155275@members.eastkingdom.org.
  • Favors workshop in Northpass, April 14th, is being expanded into a public demo.  Newcomer classes & demonstrators welcomed. See Esnede for details.
    • Esnede: There’s room for a number of classes over the course of the day.

  • Day of Decameron will be on April 27th in Mount Kisco.
    • If you have space in your home to host out-of-town visitors for this event, please alert Lilie Dubh.

  • Our provincial bardic championship will be held at Return of the Lions, May 4.  
    • Return of the Lions requests donations of items for the silent auction.  
    • Return of the Lions is also seeking additional teachers.  

  • Our provincial A&S championship will be held the next weekend, May 11, at Siege of Granada.
    • Siege of Granada is looking for a volunteer to run their fundraiser.
    • Thomas: from past experience, the manager of that park site charges a $5 fee for any tents in which people camp overnight, and needs to be informed if there are any tents set up overnight which don’t have campers in them.
  • Lada is investigating what the requirements are for the Viking Day demo on May 18.
  • The Farmingdale demo, June 8, seeks artisans with hands-on demos, fighters and fencers.

  • Brooklyn Pride Demo, June 8th, needs a coordinator.
    • Apollodora: I think I will be available to run this demo.
  • The viceregents are seeking volunteers for the Runnymede dinner at Pennsic.
    • Serving at this dinner is an excellent way to see how the sausage is made, for anyone interested in stepping up as Viceregent at some point in the future.
    • Friderich: I volunteer to help with food prep.
  • We are looking for someone to organize the annual Ostgardr / An Dubh challenge some time this coming year.
    • Esnede: I might be able to run this, perhaps in the fall.

Committees and Projects

  • The Bylaws Committee is ready to circulate the current draft to the populace and to relevant kingdom officers for feedback.
    • Colin: Please post this and other documents on Facebook for those of us who aren’t on the mailing list.
    • Thomas: Does the new draft still contain the rule that makes event stewards liable for financial losses associated with an event? I have long opposed this practice.
    • Esnede: No, it only says that they’re liable for unauthorized expenditures.
  • At a recent meeting, the finance committee approved a proposal for purchasing badges for provincial officer positions which do not currently have regalia. Anyone who wants to help organize the purchase and finishing of these badges is invited to join the regalia committee.

Other Business

  • Sarah: I would like to organize a contest among the populace to make a paper seahorse that could then be used as the logo / mascot of the provincial newsletter.
    • Suuder: Sure; write up the details and we would be glad to announce and help run the contest.
  • Sarah: I would like to use more photos in the newsletter, but to do so, we need to collect photo releases. There’s now a shared Team Drive folder online where we can store releases, but I’d like to find a way to make it easier to collect the releases.
    • Mathghamhain: [Added from discussion after the meeting.] Because the photo release forms come from the Society Corporate office, we don’t have much latitude to change them. It might be easier to get people to sign these releases at the event gate, which is when people are accustomed to filling out paperwork. Alternately, if there are photos you’ve taken for which you’d like to get releases, circulate them to the provincial officers and ask for help identifying the people pictured and reaching out to them to ask for releases.
  • Apollodora: I’m taking a kingdom position as an Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity officer, and am stepping down from my related provincial deputy role. (I will retain my role as deputy webminister for social media.)
    • Mathghamhain: Thank you for your service.
  • Colin: [Added from discussion after the meeting.] We have a bunch of people who are interested in brewing. Perhaps at some point we could organize a mead-making workshop. The materials for a gallon of mead are not very expensive if purchased in bulk. Everyone who attended could mix up their own batch of mead and then take it home to age for a few months.

Upcoming Commons Meetings

April 19

  • To be held in Lions End, at the Greenvale Townhouse diner.

May 17

  • To be held in Whyt Whey, at 255 W 105th St.

June 21

  • We are seeking suggestions for locations for this meeting, preferably in a canton/borough that hasn’t been the site of a recent commons gathering.
    • People at the meeting suggested somewhere in northern Brooklyn, or maybe the Bronx, but didn’t immediately identify a specific site.
    • Please think of possible locations and send them to the Seneschal.

Closing

  • Meeting closed at 9:00pm..

March 2019 Reports • Østgarðr Commons

Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

• Laila was made Queens Bardic Champion!  Hooray! We are very proud of her. She takes the place of Geoffrey of Exeter who is also of our Populace. We are very proud of both of them.  

• We wanted the populace to know that Geoffrey of Exeter has performed wonderfully this past year as the Queens Bardic Champ at many courts and the Royalty have even said they love the ambiance he has created with the soft music during court.  Just loud enough to be heard and creating a perfect medieval feeling. Yes, they noticed, Geoffrey. Well done.

• Also Our Il Khatun (Vicerenne) Lada Monguligin was inducted into the Order of the Laurel for Scribal Arts.  I, Suuder, ask the populace to help me celebrate her achievement. Way to go, Lada. Very proud of you.

• We are still looking for people to help this Pennsic with Runnymeade Dinner.   We would like as many people helping as possible so that no one has to do too much.  The theme is Persian, so keep that in mind. It will be a wonderful chance for anyone who is not familiar with the landed or the Runnymeade house to have a peek in and see how things are run.  We will say this, for anyone who is thinking they might put their hat in the ring for when We step down, this is a very good chance to see how the landed interact. This only happens once a year and the same group doesn’t always put it on.  So this is a golden chance.

• There will be a Princess Favor making workshop coming up, it would be nice to hand Her Highness a whole basket or more of Favors.

• Coronation is just around the Corner. Anyone who is not already doing something, We would ask everyone to help with something.   This is going to be a momentous occasion. The Eastern Royals are coming to Their Lands and Home Castle, in Ostgardr. Not to mention, the many years it has been since an un-belted sat upon the throne.   All of these things coming together at once makes for an Epic in our Society and our own Province. So all who can make it, all who can help out. Please come, let us make this day one to be remembered. Let us have the rest of the Society talk of this event for years to come.  Lets make it the best we can, put our best selves forward and show our pride for Our Kingdom, Our Royals, and Our Province.

Seneschal • Alienor Salton

We have a volunteer to become our Chancellor Minor!  Arnora Ketilsdottir has begun the process of stepping up to this position.  All hail, Arnora!

The favors workshop scheduled for April 14th at Esnede’s workplace — the Joann’s Fabric at 965 Central Park Ave in Scarsdale — is being expanded into a public demo with a series of classes.  We will be in the stitching area in the middle of the store, machine-embroidering Queen’s favors. We will also have the private classroom area for teaching. Lada has volunteered to teach a scribal class.  We are hoping to have Ajir for a color theory class. Other classes suitable for newcomers would be helpful.

We have received an inquiry from the events chair of the 33rd Annual Bellmore Street Family Street Festival on September 21 & 22, in Bellmore, NY, about holding a demo at their festival.  The coordinator was an SCA fighter and still has friends who fight. She can offer us “a roped off area to display and demonstrate different aspects of the SCA”. As she notes in her email, we should have had adequate time to recover from our Great War at Pennsic before the festival.  Apparently we have demonstrated at this festival in the past. The inquiry has been passed to our chatelaine and to Lions End for further exploration.

Bylaws Committee • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

A number of officers made comments on the bylaws at or after last month’s meeting, and I have attempt to integrate that feedback into the current draft.

With the officers’ approval, I would like to circulate the current draft to the populace and to relevant kingdom officers for feedback, with the goal of resolving any remaining issues and having a final document ratified at an upcoming meeting.

Exchequer • Francisco de Braga

Ostgardr has Mo-Ne-Y and I count it periodically…

In total we have $8,723.31 & $6,623.86  in our Capital One & TD Bank accounts respectively.

I have been made a signatory of our TD Bank account.

We continue to work towards closing our Capital One account so that we may transfer funds to the TD Bank. There is no additional update at this time.

I received word that the 2018 End of Year (EOY) reporting was improperly submitted this month. I have since resubmitted our 2018 EOY in the manner requested, one ledger per account and also found a few missing line items. In addition to the above issue, it has been brought to my attention that some event documentation needs to be clarified. I have emailed the previous event stewards in order to assist. We may not be able to have PayPal until reporting is complete and/or clarified.

The recent Queer History Schola was a success. In total, donations at the door brought in $164.00 & the auction raised $486.00. Thank you to everyone who participated, donated to the auction and also volunteered to teach a class. Thank you for making this special event happen.

Chatelaine • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya
(submitted by Alienor Salton)

Our chatelaine is at Gulf Wars, representing the East in the A&S Champions War Point Competition. VIVAT!

Diversity Deputy • Apollodora Alethes of Delphi

Everything went great on Saturday at the Queer Schola! Were almost $500 closer to getting our wheelchair ramp! The pride center would like to co-sponsor the same event for next year which will reduce our site costs.

Arts & Sciences • Donnchadh mac Eoin

• Congratulations to Laila for keeping the Queen’s Bardic Champion within the Crown Province! She is at Gulf Wars representing the East in the A&S Champions War Point Competition today!

• Congrats to Il-Khatun Lada for her elevation to the Order of the Laurel!

• March 30th is the K&Q A&S Tournament at Mudthaw! While the date for entering the competition has passed, the deadline to display and not be judged is March 23rd. It’s a great place to get feedback from the best artisans and scientists in the Kingdom!

• At Coronation, there will be an A&S display of the scribal arts — it is requested that anyone who wishes to have a scroll displayed (whether one they’ve received or one they’ve created) to bring it to event.  If you know in advance that you will be bringing a scroll, please send an email to Master Vettorio Antonello at 155275@members.eastkingdom.org.

• Upcoming A&S Competitions in neighboring lands: The Ice Dragon A&S Pentathalon in Hamburg NY (Kingdom of Aethelmearc) 4/13; East Kingdom Brewing Collegium in Plymouth, NH (Barony of Stonemarche) 4/19-21

• Return of the Lions on 5/4 is looking for more teachers!

• Provincial Bardic Championship is at Return of the Lions (5/4), Provincial A&S Championship is at Siege of Granada (5/11).

Herald • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

No major activity to report for the last month.

I’ve finally caught up on a few lingering consultations that were started over the winter.

I’ve started working with the webminister to get an update-to-date summary of our provincial awards, along with links to the relevant OP entries, posted to the site.

Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre

Fighter practice has begun at McCarren Park: 7 Pm Tuesdays. Enter the park at the intersection of Driggs Ave & Union Ave (note: Union Ave is now a no-car street on that block). The biggest tree near that entrance is in the right field foul territory of the softball field with the lights. We will gather under that tree and fight in front of it in the light.

Non-fighters are welcome to hang out with us and do whatever it is non-fighters do. The evenings are lovely there, and when the weather gets hot, it is always ten degrees cooler there than in Manhattan at noon.

Join the “Fighter Practice in New York City” Facebook group for the latest updates on Fighter practices.

I will be making a list of upcoming events at which new fighters can authorize. I would like to encourage people who want to help us build the army of Østgarðr who have cars to let me know if they are going to any of these events and are willing to carry new fighters who don’t have cars. And, occasionally, me.

NON-FIGHTER NOTE: There is plenty of space at Sussman Automatic Corporation in Long Island City for meetings, workshops, and practices. This could include arts, sewing, dancing, music, planning meetings for Pennsic, etc. There is no cost for using the space, and I can operate the elevator for those who need it.  PLEASE UTILIZE THIS RESOURCE! It is one of the reasons I am keeping my job there 🙂 Contact me at zorikh@juno.com, through Facebook, or at 917-474-8724 to schedule.

Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

Still too cold to fence.  Hopefully we can start up practice again in Central Park either the second or third week of April.

Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

I will be posting practices soon. Just getting my schedule together, will have it out on the group by next week. Probably on Sundays from 10 till 1 or 2.

Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

No activity to report in the last month.

We’re looking forward to the resumption of the fighting season in a couple of weeks at Mudthaw. If anyone is interested in learning how to marshal youth combat, or any kids / teens interested in getting started, this is a great event for it.

Minister of Lists • Rakkurai of Kamakura

Nothing to report.

Webminister • Anne of Østgarðr

Nothing notable to report, our website continues.


Administrative note: I’ve started tracking TODO items formally in Trello, so look forward to more in upcoming months, and feel free to reach out with things you think I may have lost (or new things you think we can do!) regarding our web presence.

I’ll be calling in remotely this month. Hope to see you at an event soon!

Social Media Deputy • Apollodora Alethes of Delphi

3 people I met on Saturday found us through the Facebook ad we used! So I would say that’s pretty successful!

Chronicler • Sarah of Whyt Whey

1. The first issue of the E-Horse went well. I heard a few positive comments and only one thing to be fixed—namely, the inclusion of the list of officers. To that end:

2. Next up: the Paper Seahorse. For those in our Province who for whatever reason prefer not to receive the electronic E-Horse, and for the Province Archives, I will be producing a paper version of the newsletter, with the exact same information, but with the Officers list added in.

Any advice on how to print and distribute that? FedEx maybe…?

      2.a. I’m thinking of having a contest to see who can design the best Paper Seahorse to serve as the logo/mascot for the newsletter. Any thoughts? Would Viceregents announce that sort of thing?

3. Photo release forms—our deputy Webminister has been kind enough to set up a folder on our google drive especially for storing signed photo release forms, so we can all keep track of whose picture it’s ok to publish. To that end, please send us your signed photo release form (if you have one)! Also: I have a lot of pictures that I took at K&Q Bardic Champ’s that I wanted to use for the newsletter, BUT I’m having trouble identifying all of the people in them. Can i dump them all on Facebook and have people tag themselves? Any thoughts on a streamlined way to follow up with people (now and in the future) for their photo release forms? I’m thinking this will be an issue for the next Chronicler after me too so keeping posterity in mind.

4. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive and accommodating through this process! The learning curve is steep but there have been helping hands all along the way. So thank you!!

Ok I think that about covers it. See you soon!

Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

Nothing to report.

Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

There was much to report this month in the history of Ostgardr:

In the Barony of Dragonship Haven, on the 23rd of February, anno societatis LIII, Their Majesties Wilhelm and Vienna called into court our own Il-Khatun, Lada Monguligin. Much to her surprise, she was sent off by Their Majesties to contemplate the question of joining the Order of the Laurel.

Later in the evening Her Majesty’s Bardic Champion, Geoffrey of Exeter, was called into court, praised for his performance and released him as her Bardic Champion. At this time the herald called Laila al-Sanna’ al Andalusiyya forward and named her Queens Bardic Champion. There was much rejoicing in the audience.

After a number of court awards and recognitions, Lada Monguligin was called into court to answer the question put upon her that morning. Lada Monguligin answered yes, swore her fealty and Their Majesties gave Their own. Before the Laurels could sweep her away, her beloved Il-Khan, Suuder Saran presented her with a ring and asked her to build a family with him. She said yes!! Then she was taken away to be welcomed by the Laurels and celebrate with family and friends.

I am still working on posting previous events. My apologies on the delay.

Whyt Whey • Vika Grigina z Prahy

• March Solar’s topic was on Viking-era men’s clothing.
• April’s will be on nålbinding, and May’s on spinning.
• April will also see our quarterly Canton Commons meeting.

Your humble correspondent will be in Atlantia this weekend but, traffic willing, will hopefully have Arrived At Her Destination™ in time to dial into Commons.

Northpass • Esnede O Murrin

We have monthly dance practice and games days. We will soon have brewing classes.

I am presenting a new deputy Seneschal at commons for populace approval.

Our bylaws have been submitted to Kingdom for review.

Blood and Axes is progressing well.

Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi

Return of the Lions has been posted to the EK calendar and we are far along in the planning stages. We are looking for donations for our silent auction, preferably items of interest/use for SCA folks.

Planning for our Farmingdale demo is going well. We are seeking artisans who are willing to demonstrate their craft and allow mundanes to do some hands-on, as well as fighters and fencers to participate in tournaments to excite and delight the crowds.

A number of our populace will be volunteering to help out with coronation.

Brokenbridge • Brandr Aronsson

Things have been relatively quiet. This past weekend we had a commons/A&S day which was  well attended. Arnora taught a class on how to turn your fabric scraps into bias tape.

Upcoming commons A&S days will be bread making, sausage making and  Pennsic prep.

We discussed the upcoming coronation and asked for volunteers.

Upcoming Events

Spring Coronation • April 6 • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

Three weeks to go! If you haven’t already pre-registered, this is the last week to do so online! https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3460

Preparations are on track for site setup, decoration, court and ceremony, dayboard and feast, scribal display, children’s activities, kitchen cleanup, and more.

An Dubh is organizing minivan drivers for a shuttle service between the event site and the LIRR parking lot to save people the five-minute walk back and forth.

There are lots of volunteer opportunities that remain open — if you haven’t already signed up for something, drop me a line and we’ll find a way for you to contribute to the effort.

Day of the Decameron • April 27 • Lilie Dubh, Artistic Director

Friderich Grimme and I are hoping to attend Commons tonight, but may not get to, due to work and he may be coming down with a cold/flu (Bleargh!) If we do not get there, here is the Decameron report:

Work continues on getting the space ready. Mistress Sofya and Lady Angelica and company are creating wall decor, and have some great things planned for the tables. We still need to get some final measurements of the stage and floor space for Viscount Edward Gendy, who is working on physical set as well. If I am not there, please someone get some estimated measurements!

The menu for the event looks excellent. Lord Friderich has most of it in hand, and will be finalizing SOON! (I promise!) We have tested the duck course and think it will work out well. He is collecting the various allergies and sensitivities of the guests, and has already had to ban mushrooms from the menu. If anyone is planning to go and has allergies/sensitivities, please email him at chaicken@gmail.com

The performers are doing grand! The final rehearsals are set for March 24 and April 14. We will be finalizing nuances and transitions. The script will be complete hopefully after this weekend, as I was waiting on one performer to finalize her choice of translation. The Viceregents will be receiving a script as well, so they can see where they need to step in on the day.

I am hosting at least 4 performers at my home for the weekend of the event – at least 3 from far-away. Mistress Zsof, Master Dahrien and Noble Juliana Bird will be staying with me, plus Zsof’s son and Mistress Judith Fitzhenry. Lady Arnsbjorg (Helga) and Doug More will be staying with us as well, to help with pre-prep for the food. We have space for maybe 2 more, and I am waiting on 2 performers from Maine (Endwearde) to see if they need space. If anyone else can help with space that weekend, please let me know. Hotel prices in and around Mount Kisco are high, and there are few hotels in any case.

Siege of Granada • May 11 • Jibril (submitted by Alienor Salton)

• Our check to the Parks Dept. has cleared, so the site is definitely reserved.

• We still need a volunteer to run the fundraiser.

• The A&S competition will be our provincial championship. Entrants from Østgarðr and neighboring areas may elect to be considered for the championship, if they wish to serve.  Their excellencies will select their champion from the eligible entrants. Ibrahim (our current provincial A&S champion) will be assisting Honig, who is running the championship.

• Arnora Ketilsdottir has volunteered to run Bartertown.

• The tourney prizes – which will be a belt badge have been sewn and are being embroidered.  The site tokens are in Jibril’s hands (150).

• A site walkthrough is being scheduled for early April.

• Additional wording for A&S championship & display, fencing, bartering, food (dayboard) and fundraising is going up on the website in the coming week.

Pennsic Encampment • July 27–August 10 • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

Nothing to report. Send in your pre-registrations! Email me if you have any questions!

And if you’re planning on camping with us, email me to let me know, or join the Facebook group to keep up to date: facebook.com/groups/414618855387861

This entry was posted in Commons. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *