June 2019 Minutes • Østgarðr Commons
The June commons meeting was held June 19th at Mistress Sofya’s home in Queens. Here are the minutes as recorded by Alienor Salton. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.
- Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun
- Alienor Salton, Seneschal
- Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
- Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya, Chatelaine
- Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
- Zahra al-Andalusiyya, Chronicler
- Anne of Østgarðr, Webminister
- Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
- Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Historian
- Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
- Katherine Gilliesfleur, Deputy Chamberlain
- Isabel of Østgarðr
- Jibril al Ghazal
- Ajir Tsagaan
- Apollodora of Delphi
- Bruno Bruni
- Richard the Poor
- Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal
- Catelin Straquhin
- Suuder Saran, Il-Khan
- Arnora Ketilsdottir, Chancellor Minor
- Donnchadh mac Eoin, MoAS
- Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal, Deputy Webminister
- Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
- Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
- Rakkurai of Kamakura, Minister of Lists
- Esnede O Murrin, Northpass Seneschal
- Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal
- Angelica di Nova Lipa, Deputy Exchequer
- Started Google Meet at 7:50pm, called to order at 8pm.
- Seneschal: Thanks to Sofya for hosting our meeting tonight! Congratulations to Shi Ten, outgoing King’s Archery champion! VIVAT to Lady Catelin Straquhin, our newest noble! Congratulations to Yehuda on his writ for elevation as a Pelican.
- Huge thank yous to everyone who supported our demos: Viking Day, Farmingdale, Brooklyn Pride & Girl Scout gathering upstate.
Officer Report Items For Discussion
- The viceregents would like to convene the provincial awards orders at Barleycorn.
- Runnymede dinner volunteers are needed for setup & strike.
- Children’s largesse at Pennsic is being coordinated by Apollodora. Lilie has composed our song for the occasion.
- Northpass seneschal position is open. Huge thank yous for Lady Esnede for taking on that difficult job. 2 letters of intent have been submitted. Their vote is being scheduled in the next month or two.
- 12th night bid submitted; awaiting word back. Past experience suggests we may hear back within the month. Jenna will let our site contact know.
- Vote to approve Lady Arnora as Chancellor Minor: unanimous among present officers, no abstentions.
- Armored combat has 2 practices a week: Sundays in Prospect Park, Tuesdays in McCarren Park.
- Fencing has 1: Wednesdays in Central Park.
- Archery has 2,on intermittent Sundays: Cedar Creek park, Blue Mountain Sportsman Center. Willowbrook park will not be resuming any time soon. Check FB group for archery dates.
- Paper Seahorse mascot challenge is open for entries! FB post coming soon. Please submit entries in person to Zahra, or mail a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org of a seahorse made of paper (origami, quilling, papier maché, etc.) to be used as the mascot for the paper version (and by proxy appearing in the e-Horse) of our provincial newsletter.
- Lions End is hosting a potluck / social Aug. 24th.
- Offices whose terms are expiring at the end of 2019 include seneschal, herald, fencing, webminister, historian. Incumbents, please consider whether you wish to stand for another term. Everyone else, please ponder if you would like to run for any of these offices.
Committees and Projects
- Bylaws Committee
Almost done!! Ratified by 3 out of 4 cantons; we will hear from Brokenbridge on Sunday. [Ed.: Brokenbridge ratified. Bylaws are passed! Congratulations, committee!]
- Coronet Committee
Design has been selected using elements from submitted proposals. Lada will be drawing it out for our request for bids on production of the coronets.
- Regalia proposal
- Nordenfjordr [Stonebridges] Sponsorship
Super great! They are doing amazing, sweetie.
- Finance committee
No news. Francisco & Alienor spoke after the meeting to discuss outstanding reimbursements and procedure for closing the Capital One accounts.
- Provincial storage
No progress since our last meeting. Ian joins the committee.
- Accessibility for sites needs to be more specific. Please note how many steps, whether there are bathrooms available on the main floor, etc.
- Chatelaine’s display could stand to be diversified to better reflect the changing face of the SCA. Please submit photos of non-Western activities, personae, etc. to our email@example.com
- Catelin has been researching for our proposed Code of Conduct and is almost ready to convene a committee. Please consider if you would like to volunteer to help write our new Code of Conduct & stay tuned for an announcement.
- [see event planning document, attached]
- Siege of Granada was great; Jibril would like to do it again next year.
- Blood & Axes coming soon. See the Stronghold (Northpass newsletter) from May and June, or the Blood & Axes special issue for details. If you do not already subscribe to it, you can request a copy from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pennsic Østgarðr encampment headcount is 37 (down by 10 from last year).
- Barleycorn registration will open when the menu is posted.
- Queens Farm demo will be Sept. 21-22. Ian & Katherine will steward the event. Ian will reach out to the new fair coordinator to see if they want us back. Laila will chatelaine.
Upcoming Commons Meetings
- To be held in Brokenbridge, at Brandr’s home.
- To be held in a park to be named later, as a picnic/social.
- To be held in Northpass, at the New Rochelle library.
- Meeting closed at 8:41pm.
June 2019 Reports • Østgarðr Commons
Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin
-This past weekend at K&Q’s Archery Champs our own Shi Ten stepped down as King’s Archery champion. We are very proud of what he accomplished.
-It seems all the Demos went rather well, Thank you one and all who attended each one. We had several going on at the same time and all of them did well. A feat in itself. Way to go Østgarðr.
-Our Vicereine Lada ran the Toy box at K&Q’s Archery and survived the children’s stampede. Hoorah for wearing the correct shoes!
-We are still looking for people to help this Pennsic with Runnymeade Dinner. There is a sign up sheet online or you can let us know. At the moment we will need people to help setup and strike everything afterwards. But all are welcome to help out anywhere they want to still. The theme is Persian, so keep that in mind. It still is a wonderful chance for anyone who is not familiar with the landed or the Runnymeade house to have a peek in and see how things are run. We will say this, for anyone who is thinking they might put their hat in the ring for when We step down, this is a very good chance to see how the landed interact. And how this dinner should be done. If Østgarðr puts in on again, knowing how this one gets done would be a golden chance. Experiencing it is far better than just knowing about it.
-We are still looking for award recommendations. We are also thinking to get the orders to convene again sometime soon. To discuss potential awards, and people to watch for.
-There is the possibility we might give some largess to Their Majesties at Pennsic. If anyone wants to make some largess or be the coordinator for such a thing let us know. We’ve been asked if it’s going to happen. We don’t have anything for them, but if the populace does we will happily present it to them.
-Shenanigans, Suuder is asking for ideas to have some fun, either with our own group or with other groups. It’s time for some fun.
Seneschal • Alienor Salton
• Viking Day demo was successful, thank you to all who came out for it
• successful demo weekend June 8: 3! demos, all extremely well received. Brooklyn Pride (thank you Apollodora & co), Farmingdale (thank you Lions End), Girl Scout gathering (Lada, Catelin, Mathghamhain, Alaxandair)
• bylaws ratified by 3 cantons; Brokenbridge will voice its opinion at their commons this coming Sunday, June 23.
• Northpass seneschal is stepping down; we have received 2 letters of intent
• vivat to Lady Catelin on her AoA, to Yehuda on his writ for elevation as a Pelican (who have I omitted?)
• bardic circle has successfully resumed
• 12th Night bid submitted
• the province was well represented at K&Q Archery championship: Conor, Catelin, Lada, Ozurr, Gowain
• Pennsic pre-reg extended to June 21
• formality of approving Lady Arnora as Chancellor Minor was not recorded properly or I only thought we did so — let’s do it now?
Exchequer • Francisco de Braga
All reimbursements for the Decameron & the Siege of Granada have been issued. Event reporting for both events have also been submitted. If you have not received your check please contact your friendly exchequer. If you have received your check, please deposit it if you have not already done so.
We will be resubmitting the Deck the Hall of Valhalla event report due to a discrepancy in the reimbursement request & event report. The check will be issued this week.
Kingdom requested documentation for Brokenbridge finances (Currently within the Ostgardr account) Moving forward, the document will need to be resubmitted each year until a separate account is created for the Canton.
We recently received a request for reimbursement for a 2016 event that may never have been submitted. It is under review.
There is no update on the the status of closing the Capitol One account. We may need to issue checks from this account if we choose to pursue large event expenses.
We still have yet to receive starting numbers from kingdom for 2019 reporting. However I will be starting Q2 reporting next week as there were a lot of transactions completed during this quarter.
Chatelaine • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya
It’s been a good month for recruitment. I have contacted 12 people who expressed interest at the Viking day demo. I have also been contacted by four other people. I expect to see some of them at upcoming fighter practices, local events, and Bardic circles.
I would like to work on making our demo set up a little bit more diverse. I think this would help us to attract a broader section of the population.
The newcomers who have joined us since January have been active, so yay for keeping the new recruits!
Chancellor Minor • Arnora Ketilsdottir
I have nothing to report. Still don’t have CM email though.
Arts & Sciences • Donnchadh mac Eoin
We continue to have our monthly A&S meetings in both Whyt Whey and Brokenbridge, covering costuming, cooking, and all manner of other subjects. We’ve also chosen our newest provincial bardic and A&S champions, Catelin Straquhin and Lord Ragnarr Bliskegg, respectively. Several from the Province are teaching and performing at Pennsic.
Herald • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
No provincial courts were held this month.
There’ve been a flurry of heraldic submissions in the last few weeks as people try to get in ahead of the Pennsic crush. Drasma Dragomira has been very helpful in working with me to process these. If anyone else would like to submit your name or armory, get in touch and we’ll get you started ASAP!
Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre
Tuesday night fighter practice is happening at McCarren Park, Brooklyn, 7-10 PM. Show up early for warmups.
Count Valgard is hosting a fighter practice on Sundays in Prospect Park.
Both of these practices have event announcements on Facebook and are posted on Østgarðr and “Fighter Practice in New York City” Facebook groups.
A suit of medium-sized armor has been donated and is being stored at my place. As I have no space in which to keep it, I am looking for someone to give it a new home.
All fighters who reside in Østgarðr are invited to fight in the Army of Østgarðr at Pennsic. Contact me through Facebook Private Message, at email@example.com or 917-474-8724 if you are interested.
Authorizations are being done at Pennsic, but I recommend trying to authorize before then 1) If you fail, you will have time to try again. 2) You will be busy and distracted at Pennsic, and this will be just one more thing that you will have to do while there.
Fencing • Alec MacLachlan
Fencing practice is continuing in Central Park (except for this Wednesday night due to rain). Only 2-3 of us are there. Hopefully things will pick up as we get closer to Pennsic.
Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir
We had our first archery practice Sunday at Cedar Creek Park. We had a small turnout only being 3 of us and we had a newbie come down from the Farmingdale Demo who I believe is going to join. We also had some dads join us who were out for Fathers Day.
I have been in contact with Mungu and he is not sure when the practices will begin in Staten Island. Next practice will be June 30th at Cedar Creek Park.
Archery practices will be held at the Blue Mountain Sportsman Center in Cortlandt on July 14, 21 and 28th
Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
We’re looking forward to Blood & Axes next weekend.
Two additional people, both parents of fighters, have begun the process of training to be youth marshals.
Minister of Lists • Rakkurai of Kamakura
Nothing to report.
Webminister • Anne of Østgarðr
I was out of town all month, nothing to report.
Chronicler • Zahra al-Andalusiyya
The E-Horse Vol. 2 was sent out on June 1, and seems to have been received generally positively. It’s never too early to start thinking about next issue, so please let me know if you’re thinking of something to contribute. And tell all your friends! Thanks to Alienor who has already garnered a lovely art submission for Vol. 3 from a member of the populace.
Photo release forms: still looking for a more streamlined way to do this. I have a small stack of empty forms that I bring for people to fill out at practices, and I recommend it.
The Paper Seahorse: the Paper Seahorse (mascot) Challenge has officially been issued from Their Excellencies. Response has not been deafening so far so I might also put it on the Facebook group, with Their Excellencies’ permission.
Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell
Green and White returned after Lions’s End Demo.
Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste
On the 15th Day of June ASLII in the Barony of Beyond the Mountain, The King and Queen held their King’s and Queen’s Archery Championships. Our Shi Tien stepped down as King’s Archery Champion and Julian Ridley was chosen as the new King’s Archery Champion. Master Aleksei Dmitriev was named Queen’s Archery Champion.
Their Majesties called forth Østgarðr’s Bardic Champion Catelin Straquhin and recognized her for her service and presented her with an Award of Arms. Vivat!
Our lovely Vicereine Lada was honored with the running of the toy box. She survived to tell the tale and Their Majesties awarded her a medallion for surviving such a daring undertaking.
Whyt Whey • Vika Grigina z Prahy
– June’s Solar was on scrimshaw.
– July’s Solar will be on spinning, and help anyone needs on Pennsic projects.
– July Commons/Solar moving from first Thursday to second Thursday, because we are not having a Commons on July 4.
– Whyt Whey officers’ quorum approved the new Provincial Bylaws.
Northpass • Esnede O Murrin
Blood and Axes is a go.
Barleycorn is work in progress
I will stay through transition to replacement. Letters of intent should go to Provincial Seneschal and Viceregals.
Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi
Farmingdale Demo went really well. We had 40 SCAdians in attendance including 5 heavy weapons fighters, and 4 fencers. We handed out numerous flyers and received contact information from 13 people.
Our archery practice started up on 6/16 and will continue on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month.We will be having a Stitch -n- Bitch on July 13th instead of a basic garb workshop. Plus we are having a casual Potluck/Picnic/BBQ on August 24th for populace of Lions End and our neighbors.
Announcements will be made on Facebook, in Yahoo group and on our website.
Brokenbridge • Brandr Aronsson
The Viking demo in Broken Bridge was a success. Our recent A&S days have seen Sausage Making, Bread Making and turning fabric scraps into Bias Tape. Our upcoming A&S day on the 23rd will be our Pennsic 101 question and answer day. Please come and bring your Pennsic stories and helpful hints.
Future A&S classes will be “How to recommend someone for an award” and “Blacksmithing”.
Bylaws • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
The bylaws were unanimously approved by all of the Provincial Officers last month, and have been unanimously approved by three cantons, with the fourth expected to follow this weekend. I’ve posted the new bylaws on the province’s web site.
My thanks to everyone who participated in this process over the last two years. I hope that this new version serves the province well, and that any updates required in the future are quick and painless.
Event name • Date • Person reporting
Siege of Grenada • May 11 • Jibril
First, thanks are due to the Viceroy and Vicereine , Seneschal, Exchequer, Ibrahim and the many other people who lent a hand on the day of the event. It was a small but charming event with a new A&S champion, Ragnarr bláskegg. I believe we just about broke even or came up short; Francisco can give more details on the number of attendees and the finances.
Each of our different areas, Arts & Sciences, Martial Arts, Trade were all run well by the staff. We didn’t encounter any problems with the site or activities. There were no injuries or damage to the site. Clean up was great and the site was left better than we found it.
The food was amazing and abundant. There was plenty left over to take home. The kitchen staff of volunteers was outstanding and our chief cook, Ibrahim, was beyond impressive.
I believe all expenses have been paid and the books should now be closed.
For next year:
We will need to do much more advertisement and earlier planning. We need to do a lot more talking up of the event to curry interest.
Martial Activities: we have photos to show the castle battle area and will again incorporate a combined heavy/fencing scenario.
Trade: we will need to seed some items for trade and also, have better division of the trade/A&S areas
A&S: earlier advertising with a specific theme may present a more interesting challenge to the A&S community and give sufficient time to prepare
Kitchen: the cold/room temperature food was a great plan and something I’d like to do again next year.
Pennsic Encampment • July 27–August 10 • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin
Our registered headcount has climbed to 37. I’ll be chatting with people over the next couple of weeks to collect information about tent space, arrivals, and suggestions for the encampment.
Østgarðr Event Planning
Blood & Axes the Third
Host: Canton of Northpass
Date: June 28-30
Location: Putnam County Veteran Memorial Park
Focus activity(s): armored combat, fencing, thrown weapons, archery, youth combat
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3488
Event Steward: Wilhelm Larrson
Glenn Linn: Great Northern Thyng (Greenwich NY, 3 hours N)
Date: July 5-8
Activities: melees, tournaments, comedy bard competition
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3446
Calontir: KW Heraldic & Scribal (Urbandale, IA, 17 hrs. W)
Date: July 5-7
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3502
Rusted Woodlands: EK Novice Day (Tappan NY, 30 min. N)
Date: July 20
Activities: good place to authorize for Pennsic
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3455
Æthelmarc: Pennsic (Coopers Lake PA, 6 hours W)
Date: July 26 – August 11
Activities: Peace, War
Anglespur: Harper’s Retreat (Richmond, NH, 4.5 hrs. N)
Date: Aug. 30 – Sept. 2
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3465
Middle: KW Cooks & Bards (Wood River, IL, 15 hrs. W)
Date: Aug. 29 – Sept. 2
Activities: camping, classes
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3477
Atlantia: KW Ag. & Forestry (Booneville, NC, 9.5 hrs. SW)
Date: Aug. 30 – Sept. 2
Activities: classes & exhibits on period agriculture, land use, livestock.
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3478
The Feast Of John Barleycorn
Date: Sept. 6-8
Location: Camp Morty, North Salem
Focus activity(s): provincial archery championship
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3487
Event Steward: Wilhelm Larrson
Settmour Swamp: Ducal Challenge (Pittstown, NJ, 1.5 hrs. W)
Date: Sept. 7
Activities: armored combat, rapier, A&S prizes
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3496
Concordia of the Snows: Keepers of the Central Flame II (Scotia, NY, 3 hrs. N)
Date: Sept. 21
Activities: artisans (textile, culinary, costuming, research, scribal, smithing, science, etc.), A&S triathlon
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3503
Queens Farm County Fair
Date: Sept. 21-22
Location: Queens Farm
Event Steward: Baron Ian
Caer Adamant: Benedicta Vita Arma (Wilmington, DE, 2 hrs. SW)
Date: Sept. 28
Activities: 14th C tournament with full heraldic display, needs inspirations for champions
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3494
An Dubhaigeainn: St. Andrew Crosses the Alps (Middle Island, NY, 1.5 hrs. E)
Date: Sept. 28
Activities: baronial armored combat championship, photo booth, classes, youth activities, Alpine feast
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3528
Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival
Host: Whyt Whey
Date: Sept. 29
Location: Fort Tryon Park
Focus activity(s): provincial armored combat competition, provincial fencing championship competition
Carillion: Ghosts, Ghouls & Goblins (Manalapan, NJ, 2 hrs. S)
Date: Oct. 11-13
Activities: archery shoot, baronial championships
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3517
Iron Bog: River War X (Mullica Hill, NJ, 2.5 hrs. S)
Date: Oct. 18-20
Activities: war games between Iron Bog & Bhakail
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3511
Dragonship Haven: St. Eligius (Location TBD)
Date: Nov. 16
Activities: A&S competition
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3512
Rusted Woodlands: 100 Minutes War (Sparta NJ, 1 hour W)
Date: Nov 23
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3454
Beyond the Mountain: Yule (New Britain, CT, 2.5 hrs. NE)
Date: Dec. 7
Activities: feasting, music, dancing, games
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3437
12th Night (BID)
Date: Jan 4
Location: Glenwood Landing American Legion, Glen Head, NY
Event Stewards: Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Mathghamhain Ua Ruadhain
Reservations: Francisco de Braga
Head Cooks: Friderich Grimme, Arnbiorg Nialsdottir, Monkey Magee
Deck the Halls of Valhalla
Date: Jan 11
Location: Old Stone House, 336 3rd St, Brooklyn
Beyond the Mountain: Artifacts of a Life IV (New Britain, CT, 2.5 hrs. NE)
Date: Feb. 8
Activities: A&S challenge
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3433
Date: March 7-8
Location: Blue Mountain Lodge, Peekskill, NY
Focus activity(s): adult-activities
EK Calendar Link: https://eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=3518
Event Steward: Oliver de Bainbrig
Queer History Schola
Date: March 14 or 21
Location: Brooklyn Pride Center
Focus activity(s): classes on queer history
Event Steward: Apollodora of Delphi, Francisco Duraes
Fight for a Cause
Date: October? Outside?
Location: Staten Island- Christ Church of New Brighton
Focus activity(s): rattan fighting and pageantry
Event Steward: co-stewarding of two locals names TBD
An Dubh Challenge