Commons Minutes for April 2019

The April commons meeting was held on April 19 at the Greenvale Townhouse Diner in Lions End. Here are the minutes as recorded by Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin. The officers’ reports are attached at the end.

Attendance

Present — 4 members of the officers’ council, 2 members of the populace

  • Suuder Saran, Il-Khan
  • Lada Monguligin, Il-Khatun
  • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, Herald, Youth Marshal
  • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi, Lions End Seneschal
  • Richard the Poor
  • Jenna Childslayer

Online — 5 members of the council

  • Alienor Salton, Seneschal
  • Francisco de Braga, Exchequer
  • Ervald LaCoudre, Armored Combat Marshal
  • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, Historian
  • Vika Grigina z Prahy, Whyt Whey Seneschal

Absent — 10 members of the council

  • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya, Chatelaine
  • Donnchadh mac Eoin, MoAS
  • Alec MacLachlan, Fencing Marshal, Deputy Seneschal
  • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir, Archery Marshal
  • Rakkurai of Kamakura, Minister of Lists
  • Sarah of Whyt Whey, Chronicler
  • Anne of Østgarðr, Webminister
  • Ian of Clan Mitchell, Chamberlain
  • Esnede O Murrin, Northpass Seneschal
  • Brandr Aronsson, Brokenbridge Seneschal

Opening

  • Called to order at 8:15pm.
  • Mathghamhain: Alienor is out of town and is video-conferenced in, and has asked me to chair the meeting based on the agenda she has set.
  • Thank you, Uji, for making our reservation for tonight’s commons.
  • Great job, everyone who worked on Coronation!

Officer Report Items For Discussion

  • Polling order recommendations are due tonight.
    • Non-polling and Østgarðr award recommendations are welcome anytime.
  • Provincial court schtick! Please think up shenanigans.
    • Alienor: There is a matter I would like to bring before the province at Pennsic.
    • Suuder: You have our leave; bring it to the attention of the court herald.
  • Now that spring is here, outdoor practices are back!
    • Fencing has resumed in Central Park on Wednesdays
    • Armored combat has resumed in McCarren Park on Tuesdays
    • Bardic circle aims to start up again soon.
    • Archery is likely to start in May, in Northpass, Lions End, and Staten Island.

Upcoming Events

  • Day of the Decameron, April 27.
    • Please volunteer for kitchen help, additional servers and help with cleanup.
    • Sofya: Also, would love additional candleholders, pitchers, area rugs, platters, and white tablecloths of any size.
  • Return of the Lions, May 4th.
    • Attend and enter Østgarðr’s bardic championship.
    • Jenna: We have space for a bunch more students in our A&S classes.
    • Jenna: Please donate items for our action
    • EK event announcement needs to be updated to list bardic activities.
    • Jenna: Need input from Ervald on the structure of the bardic championship.
  • Siege of Granada, May 11th
    • Attend and enter Østgarðr’s A&S championship.
    • Please volunteer to help at troll or assist with a fundraiser at the event.
    • Come to help Ibrahim with pre-cooking on May 9 & 10th in Sullivan County, and in the kitchen at the event, May 11th, Putnam County.
    • Uji: I can help in the kitchen on the day of.
  • Runnymede Dinner at Pennsic, August 5
    • We are co-hosting this dinner for the baronage of the Kingdom.
    • Lada: Looking for a few people to help with cooking and serving.

Upcoming Demos

  • Viking Day, May 18th, 10am-5pm.
    • We’re looking for someone to coordinate this.
    • Lada: If nobody volunteers, we’ll take this on.
    • Leaning towards just using popups rather than the provincial pavilion.
  • Farmingdale Demo, June 8
    • Need a strategy to get the Provincial pavilion to the site — Uji and Alec MacLachlan may be able to handle this.
    • Uji: There’s a space for merchants, and no additional charge for them.
    • Alienor: We could invite the metalsmith who was there last year to return.
    • Uji: The town would like us to return in future years and expand this further to a complete Ren Fair with merchants and performers putting on shows.
  • EternalCon, June 22/23
    • If folks want to organize to exhibit here, we need a volunteer to coordinate
  • Bellmore Street Festival, Sept. 21-22.
    • If folks want to organize to exhibit here, we need a volunteer to coordinate
    • This date generally conflicts with the Queens Farm demo.
  • Cloisters, Sept 29? (date unconfirmed)
    • We should speak to them about increasing our stipend to more fully cover our costs.
  • Heliosphere, literary sci-fi convention, April 3-5 2020.
    • If folks want to organize to exhibit here, we need a volunteer to coordinate

Ongoing Projects

  • Chronicler is looking for ideas on how to print & distribute the paper Seahorse.
    • It would be nice to have some copies to hand out at events and public demos.
    • The various Society and Kingdom officers who require copies for their archives would prefer PDFs to physical paper copies.
    • Jenna: I can print some copies at work, especially if they’re black and white.
  • Chronicler would like to streamline the process of gathering photo releases.
    • Maybe we can have people sign these at the gate at local events.
  • Draft bylaws will be voted on at our May commons.
  • We are actively looking for sites for bigger events, both to allow us to bid on Kingdom events and for a large annual event of our own.
    • Lada: I look for sites by searching the city for types of sites we’ve held events at in the past, like churches, then uses a map site to look at the exterior grounds (and interior photos when present) to get a sense of the space available, then calls them.
    • Alienor: We should draw up some written notes about how to conduct this kind of search.
    • Mathghamhain: Last year I put together a list of sites at which the Province had held events in the past; we should review those to see whether there are some sites which could be re-activated.
    • Jenna: The Huntington Unitarian church we used years ago became more expensive when they required the presence of a paid staff member; the cost may be more reasonable now, but the site no longer has a nice kitchen or space for archery. Talk to Kona about their use of this site for Potted Arms.
    • Uji: There’s a site in Glen Head that might be appropriate for large A&S or Bardic events, and another in Sands Point which is big and might work for an indoor winter event.
    • Lada: It would be nice to hold a regional Scribal & Heraldic Symposium.
    • Mathghamhain: Let’s check on the space at Queens Farm.
  • Seeking volunteers to work on loaner armor construction.
    • Uji: I have the Black Chicken Armor stashed away, can pull it out and share.
  • Seeking volunteers to make pillow covers as gifts for the Runnymede dinner.
    • Lada: Need to make a plan, including designs / materials / techniques to use, and then schedule days and people to work on them.
    • Lada: Suuder and I are covering the cost of the materials.
    • Mathghamhain: I’d be glad to help collecting art for the baronial arms.
    • Vika and Alienor: We can assist.
    • Suuder: We could complement the pillows with a small gift basket / goodie bag of other gifts.
    • There’s a person in Northpass who recently did some nice largess for coronation who might join in.
    • Oliver de Bainbrig might be interested in brewing something.
    • Uji: Iola might be interested in making some soaps.

Other Business

  • Uji: Iola has taken over as the Lions End canton herald.
    • We’d like assistance from the webminister in setting her up with email, and updating the officers page on the web site.
    • She’s also interested in opportunities to learn and practice court heraldry.
  • Richard: Northpass will not hold Goat’s Tavern this year, as the site was unavailable, but we are discussing having a Yule event.

Upcoming Commons Meetings

May 17

  • To be held in Whyt Whey, at Alienor’s father-in-law’s, 255 W. 105th St. #21.

June 21

  • To be held in Queens, at Ervald’s workplace.

July 19

  • We are seeking suggestions for a meeting site, preferably in a canton or county which has not held a meeting in the last few months — Brokenbridge? Staten Island? The Bronx?

Closing

  • Meeting closed at 9:20 pm.

Viceregents • Suuder Saran & Lada Monguligin

Great job everyone at Coronation. Our Royals and kingdom populace are very happy.

TRM Polling order recommendations are due 4/19, non polling order ones are always welcome.

Our King has come home to Østgarðr. Their Majesties have been away for many years and have finally returned. We want to thank everyone who has helped keep the home fires burning over the years, it really does take the Village. We’ve stuck together thru many things and We want to thank everyone in Østgarðr for doing their part. We are proud of all of you. Thanks to all who kept the castle dusted and cleaned, and the pantry stocked for when Their Majesties return. Let us do what we can to support them both, give them respite especially in the home castle here in Østgarðr where King Ozurr the Boot-giver will reside this reign and Our Queen Fortune Sancte Keyne in Stonemarche at one of the summer castles, if and when any of our populace travel there. But there is talk of a war this summer. Pennsic is around the corner. so.

Pennsic:

  • Preregister!
  • Volunteer to help at Runnymede dinner.
  • We need to schedule a day to work on gifts for the other baronies. What is the best way to make the kneeling pillow covers? Embroidery? Applique? Painting? Mixed technique? Can we discuss and work out logistics on production?

We are always looking for recommendations for Østgarðr awards, for all who come to Østgarðr.

We are also looking for things to entertain our populace in court. Talk to us, help us come up with a few things to have fun with, quite possibly at Pennsic Court. (Suuder’s coming up with a few things, ask him if you can help or participate).

Events:
Østgarðr used to have several large events a year. We have been doing more and more events the last couple years. To help Østgarðr continue to grow we need to have a big cash cow event.

We can either create a new annual event or we keep doing bids for Kingdom stuff. But doing a single large event might be better and less taxing on our own people. But we need sites or a site big enough to handle it. So put on those thinking caps.

Seneschal • Alienor Salton

Viking Day is on! May 18th 10am to 5pm. Do we have anyone who would like to coordinate it?

Post-Coronation, having a trailer for our own inventory seems like an even better idea that I’d like to continue pursuing. We rented a U-Haul for the weekend and left it parked on site to facilitate loading-out. Worked great. Not having to load it & empty it would be even greater. Our neighbors in An Dubhaigheainn have experience with trailer ownership and I would like to gather tips from them on trailer ownership in NY state.

Now that the weather is agreeable, I would like to resume bardic circle. Do people have a preference for when & where? Also, is anyone interested in resuming a more formal choral activity? There is a new Facebook group for EK choral singers: https://m.facebook.com/groups/283622055887560 and I would love to resume the multi-voice group we used to have in Whyt Whey. Let me know if you’d be into that.

Exchequer • Francisco de Braga

Queer History Schola Event report has been submitted and cash deposited. Reimbursement checks have been created and are in the process of getting their second signatory.

Approximately $501.18 was approved for the reimbursement of the purchase of feast gear used during coronation. This feast gear will be incorporated into our current inventory. A Check has been written and is in the process of getting the second signatory.

No update at this time on the closing of our Capitol One Account at this time.

Q1 Reporting will be submitted soon.

Chatelaine • Laila al-Sanna’ al-Andalusiyya

1) I’ve been contacted about 2 demos, both of which sound like fairly good opportunities for recruitment. The first is the Bellmore Street Festival on September 21 & 22. I have some forms to fill out for the festival, but everything is moving smoothly. The second is for the Heliosphere Convention, a literary sci-fi convention to be held next April 3-5.

2) I have some ideas about putting together a special display that can travel to demos to help with explaining the range of activities available in the SCA: examples of various arts, a Knowne World Map, a Kingdom Map, maybe a one-sheet that explains ranks and titles. It would be like a tiny traveling newcomer museum.

3) I still need to make arrangements to pick up Gold Key. (Our last plans were disrupted by my car breaking down.)

[Commentary on the Bellmore Street Festival from Alec MacLachlan, submitted via email: Lions End did that for two years in a row. (I forget when, but Sir Gui was the Viceroy.) The first year seemed to go well. Even though the faire was two days, we could only commit to Saturday. The second year we got stuck so far away from everything, we only got a small trickle of people. The consensus was not to do it again. So, I am a little apprehensive about this. Sherre was the Seneschal back then, so you may want to talk to her about both years.]

Arts & Sciences • Donnchadh mac Eoin

Østgarðr A&S Championship is coming up, Siege of Granada, May 11th. Østgarðr Bardic Championship is the prior weekend, Return of the Lions, May 4th. May the 4th be with you!

Herald • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

There have been no provincial courts held in the last couple of months, but this will pick up now that spring is here.

I’ve received a few consultation requests this month, and have lined up a couple of deputies to assist with name and armory work in the coming months.

There’s now a summary of the provincial orders and awards on the web site; thanks to Anne for spearheading that process.

We recently got a few long-standing requests for corrections to the Kingdom Order of Precedence implemented, thanks to a nudge from the Vicereine, but we’re still waiting on them to process the court reports of provincial awards distributed in 2018; until that happens, the record on my blog and in the provincial historian’s annals must serve as our documentation of that gap.

Armored Combat • Ervald LaCoudre (submitted by Alienor Salton)

Armored combat practice has resumed! Contact Ervald the Optimistic for details.

Loaner armor is under construction. Contact Badr al-Abyari if you are interested in working on armor production. Badr reports “I will send an invoice for the armor David has… Will try and make small armor for small new fighter.” David is a new fighter, who has used the armor for 2 practices now.

Fencing • Alec MacLachlan

First fencing practice of the season is scheduled for this coming Wednesday night in Central Park at 7pm.

I ordered 2 fencing masks last Friday. Since they were out of the medium in one style, they gave us a deal on the next model up.

Archery • Arnbiorg Helga Niálsdóttir

No report submitted.

Youth Combat • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

The fighting season has finally opened! We’ll have youth combat at Blood and Axes in June, and I’m open to offering at at other events in the province — if you’re running an event and you have space, let me know!

Minister of Lists • Rakkurai of Kamakura

Nothing to report.

Webminister • Anne of Østgarðr

We’ve added a couple informational pages to the site, at https://ostgardr.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/provincial-orders-awards/ and https://ostgardr.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/ostgardr-livery-colors-populace-badge/

Everything else continues as usual. If you have web questions, especially about checking email or using the EK Wiki, I am here to help.

Social Media Deputy • Apollodora Alethes of Delphi

No report submitted.

Chronicler • Zahra al-Andalusiyya (neé Sarah of Whyt Whey)

Not much to report, except that I miscounted last month: I told people that the next newsletter would be May 1st—that would make it a bi-monthly, not a quarterly. The next issue of the E-Horse will be published June 1st. (This is good because more time=more events=more content!)

I’m still interested in hearing people’s ideas on 1) how to print/distribute the Paper Seahorse and 2) how to streamline the process for gathering photo releases (for both photographers and photographees).

[Commentary from Alienor Salton: A kind & stalwart member of our sponsored Shire of Stonebridges (was Nordenfjord) has folded an origami seahorse for our paper newsletter. I will put you in touch with him when my brain comes back online.]

Chamberlain • Ian of Clan Mitchell

No report submitted.

Historian • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste

Mudthaw, March 30th Barony of Settmour Swamp

On March 30th their Majesties Wilhelm and Vienna traveled to the Barony of Settmour Swamp where the King’s and Queen’s Arts and Sciences Champions were to be chosen. At the being of Their Court, Lady Vika Gringina z Prahy was sent on vigil by the King and Queen to contemplate acceptance to the Order of the Laurel. After sitting vigil Lady Vika was called forth again and accepted elevation to the Order of the Laurel.

Their Majesties spoke of all the amazing Arts & Sciences on display and proceeded to choose their new A&S champions. Porfinnr Hroogeirsson was called forth and named Kings Champion. The Queen selected Astridr Musi.

Master Philip White was called forth and thanked by the Queen for helping everyone understand the way decision making happens at A&S competitions and for his service as Arts & Science Minister for the past two years.

Their Majesties called forth Lady Zilla al Sighira al Hurra and was made a companion of the Order of the Silver Brooch for her fine cordials and spirits.

Coronation, April 6th

On April 6th A.S. LIII, the Crown Province of Østgarðr and the Barony of An Dubhaigeainn hosted the Coronation of Ozurr the Boot-Giver and Fortune Sancte Keyne in the Canton of Lions End.

On this day, Their Majesties Wilhelm and Vienna held their Final Court bestowing final awards and accolades. Their Majesties addressed the people of the East and announced that they needed to take some time off and rest. Prince Ozurr the Boot-Giver was called forth and crowned King of the East. Long live the King! There was confusion as Princess Fortune was nowhere to be seen. In the distance appeared Princess Fortune riding her gondola to the shores of the East where she was met by King Ozurr and crowned Queen. Long live the Queen of the East!

Their newly crowned Majesties called into court Ervald the Optimistic inducting him into the Order of the Silver Crescent. Anne of Østgarðr was also called forth and awarded Arms by Their Majesties and there was much rejoicing.

The evening ended with an amazing feast, music and song.

Whyt Whey • Vika Grigina z Prahy

Our quarterly Canton Commons was Apr. 4. Business as usual (not a lot of business).

Next one is scheduled for July.

This month’s Solar was an intro to nålbinding; Rakkurai has offered a scrimshaw class for an upcoming solar.

Northpass • Esnede O Murrin

Things are going well. We have Blood and Axes in June and Barleycorn in September. Goat’s Tavern is being replaced by a different event this year. Bear’s Tavern is being planned for next year. Chronicler also has a new Deputy.

Favor workshop/Demo: We talked to a few interested people. Finished some favors completely and others are being made this week by the store.

Lions End • Nagashima Ichiro Ujimichi

Planning for both our spring schola and Farmingdale demo are well under way. There is also some early discussion about creating a medieval faire in Farmingdale in a couple of years.

We have started discussing creating bylaws for Lions End.

We are also working on getting the populace to create persona wiki pages in relation to the East Kingdom wiki page.

Our Herald has tendered his resignation and one of his deputies is willing to step up and take the mantle.

Our populace helped with the Coronation of Ôzurr and Fortune. Long Live the King! Long Live the Queen!

Brokenbridge • Brandr Aronsson

Sausage making day was great!

Pennsic Prep day will be in June.

Committees

Bylaws • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

Following the March meeting, the draft bylaws were circulated to the officers and populace for comment. We have not received much feedback over the last month, but what little we’ve heard had been positive.

While I am sure there is room for further improvement, I feel that, compared to the old document, the new draft better reflects our actual operations, and is a better basis for any future changes.

I’d like to spend the next few weeks chasing feedback from some folks who haven’t spoken up yet, including making sure that the Kingdom Seneschal doesn’t have any objections we need to address, and put it to a vote for ratification at the May meeting.

Events

Spring Coronation • April 6 • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

Thank you to the more than fifty (!) people from across the Province who pitched in (along with our Ducky neighbors) to help make this event a success.

The exchequers are still crunching the numbers, but from what I’ve heard, there were well over 350 people in attendance, and we more than covered our costs, so there’ll be a bit of profit left over to share with the kingdom.

There were a couple of rough patches, but they were all survivable, and I’ve made some notes that might help with future events.

Thank you for trusting me with this responsibility and this opportunity to serve the Province and the East.

Day of the Decameron • April 27 • Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, event steward

Day of the Decameron event needs kitchen help, additional servers and help with cleanup. Also, would love additional candleholders, pitchers and area rugs. Also, platters.

Siege of Grenada • May 11 • Jibril (report submitted by Alienor Salton)

Ibrahim will need some kitchen help for the Seige of Granada. This will include 2 or 3 helpers at the event. However, due to site constraints the actual cooking will be done in advance. Ibrahim will be doing this pre-event prep at his house in Sullivan County (about 1.5 hrs from the GWB). If anyone is interested in helping with cooking on Thursday 5/9 and/or Friday 5/10, please contact Ibrahim 91124@members. eastkingdom.org

Volunteers to help at troll are still needed.

A few people have already pre-registered, keep spreading the word.

Østgarðr A&S champs is set to run in tandem with the event organization.

We have Countess Honig on A&S, Lord Firebow on Fencing, Lord Torfi on Armored, Lady Arnora on Silk Road, Order of St. Adrian on parking (opening to 11:30).

Not sure who is handling the fundraising.

Stands are being constructed for the armored combat.

Champion badges, site tokens are in hand.

Need Østgarðr banners.

Pennsic Encampment • July 27–August 10 • Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin

No news since last month. Send in your pre-registrations! Email me if you have any questions!

And if you’re planning on camping with us, email me to let me know, or join the Facebook group to keep up to date: facebook.com/groups/414618855387861

This entry was posted in Commons. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *