Ostgardr Commons (business meeting) 8/19

August Commons will be Friday, August 19, 2016 at the home of Norana Cantrell, 273 Argyle Road, 1st floor in Brooklyn. If anyone gets lost, the phone number is 917-297-2356.

Take the Q train to Cortelyou Road, walk three blocks left, and take a right on Argyle road.
Apartment 1.
There is a cat and small dog in residence.

The meeting will be available on Skype. But if anyone wants to access via Skype, they’ll need to email the Webminister at ArnoraKD [at] gmail [dot] com

Commons minutes June 2016

Crown Province of Østgarðr 17 June 2016

In Attendance:
1. Barone Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa–*Seneschal
2. THLady Lada Monguligin–*A&S
3. Lord Suudur Saran­ *Brokenbridge, *Archery
4. THLord Thomas the Constable of Northpass–*Northpass
5. THLord Alexander MacLachlan ­Deputy Fencing
6. Master Richard the Poor­ *Historian, Deputy Exchequer at Large
7. Lady Lillie RedTowers
8. Mungo Chinua­ *Herald
9. Countess Mistress Brekke Franksdottir­ *Lionsend
10. THLady Marion of York ­ *Fencing
11. Devra
12. Alexi
13. Lady Beatrice della Rocca ­ Recording Secretary

Report Sent In:

1. Lady Alienor Salton–WhytWhey
2. Lady Sofya Gianetta di Trieste–Chatelaine
3. Lady Angelica Di Nova Lipa–Exchequer

Quorum: 11 needed, 9 in attendance. Quorum not achieved.
Start Time: 8:00pm

I. Reports

A. Seneschal Report ­ Barone Francesco

I am still waiting for some officers to turn in their officer and deputy information sheets. If you have not sent them in, please do so.

Coronets as Regalia. Conor Ó Ceallaigh spoke to the Seneschal and mentioned that we do not have coronets. Previously, the Crown Province only had chains of office for the Viceregals, as Ostgardr was not considered to be on the same level as a barony. In the past few years, the Throne has considered the Province to be on the same level as a barony, and therefore is allowing us to have coronets, as well as chains of office. Conor is therefore offering to donate a stained glass panel for Barleycorn, so that we can raise money for the coronets. A discussion is had on whether we want to raise money for the coronets, or simply spend the money we already have. Master Yurgen of Northshield is recommended by Barone Francesco, whose coronet cost 480 and was a very custom job. As the meeting is not quorate, no vote is held, and discussion suspended until next meeting.

B. Officer Reports

1. Archery Report, Suudur
a. Archery practice has started up again, on Long Island, and thus far has been well attended. Suudur regrets being unable to attend as many practices as he would like, due to a new job

2. Brokenbridge Seneschal ­ Suuder

There will be a meeting set for the middle of next month, see the website and mailing list for more information!

We need to check with the webmistress to confirm that we are on the Kingdom server

Viking day was very successful, it had a great showing, although there were no fighters aside from youth fighters. There were fencers, but they did not fence in our lists. Targai, Marion, Akelina, King of Acre stopped by. They were happy with us again and expect us next year. We made 400 off of it. There is a discussion on whether the money will be split between Brokenbridge and Ostgardr, as it had been policy to split the funds.

A&S classes and meetings are happening, at Anneke’s house. The last class was a naalbinding class.

3. Northpass Seneschal ­ Thomas

Northpass is preparing for Barleycorn 25 and the Investiture of the Viceregals. Links are on the website, please check it out. Volunteers are always welcome

There are no elections coming up, positions are set as per the list given to Barone Francesco

4. A&S ­ Lada

Beadmaking class that was originally set for tomorrow is cancelled due to the teacher breaking their leg, and will likely be rescheduled for after Pennsic.

There is an arrow-making class happening tomorrow in Northpass. The class is still open, and is over at Wilhelm’s house.

5. Lions End ­ Brekke

Lions End held a meeting and an election. She needs to followup with people and will send in a report later.

Meetings are at the Levittown Library on the 1st Monday of the month.

Please check website for details

6. Herald ­ Mungo
a. Quarterly report was submitted. The herald is still learning the position

7. Fencing ­ Marion

We had some fencing last week at Eternalcon, there were 3 fencers Saturday and 4 on Sunday.

We may have a fencing practice starting up at Swordclass on Sundays between 4 and 6 pm. Cost is $5 a person, and is contingent on there being enough interest.

8. Exchequer ­ sent by Angelica, read by Beatrice

Currently banked funds total $12,877.12: $7,036.89 in savings, and $5,840.23 in checking.

We received a $400 check for the Riverfest demo that has not yet been deposited.

Ostgardr Seneschal and Exchequer have been added to the bank account as signers

Upcoming Viceroy and Vicereign will be added after their Investiture

As per last month’s meeting, the Guilded Pearl matter remains open, pending a decision by the members.

9. Chatelaine ­ sent by Sofya, read by Beatrice

We had a generous donation to our gold key inventory by Heather Stanley from Brokenbridge. She had been holding onto various items her mother wore in the SCA and thought they would be of more use to us. Ervald and I picked up the items a few weeks ago which included a box of various sewing patterns. I’ve sorted through most of the gold key and don’t know what to do as of yet with the various patterns but will work with others to find the right home or use for them. I thanked her from all of us.

Riverdale RiverFest: Although the weather did frighten some people away it did hold off enough to have a decent number of people stop by and look at our displays. We didn’t have a lot of people sign up (about 15 emails) but those who did were asking a lot of questions.

EternalCon; June 10th­-12th: EternalCon was a success! Although we were competing with Southern Region War practice which reduced our volunteer resources and entry passes were limited by the venue, we came together and were able to make a weekend event that surpassed my expectations.

i. Our success, to me, was greater than the number of emails/numbers, although we did well with over 50 contacts. We even have a recruit from the demo who is planning on attending Whyt Whey’s A&S night, June 16.

ii. We gained tremendous exposure and a possible future invite to next year’ event. This year was about proving our place at EternalCon and I believe we did.

iii. Frank, the organizer of EternalCon, has been looking into creating a medieval themed event in Long Island and he definitely wants us involved. A site has been located and now it’s just a matter of them working out the event and getting back to us. I will keep everyone informed when I hear of further details.

iv. While at EternalCon I had a moment to speak to another comic convention promoter, Mike Carbonaro, an organizer of various comic conventions in New York City, who agreed to have the SCA participate in his yearly ‘Big Apple ComicCon’ which will take place Saturday, March 4, in Manhattan. I don’t know how much room he is giving us but I will work out the details with him later and will present for approval.

v. Our members were also photographed and videoed by various news reporters and photographers.

I believe the SCA was promoted and seen in a very positive light and I’m very proud of how this demo turned out.

10. Whyt Whey ­ sent by Alienor, read by Beatrice

We are on course for the Cloisters demo. Parking passes and arranging to pick up the green and white will be much as usual, to be arranged later. New elements include a fashion show (live models wearing whatever you happen to be wearing that day) and a chorale, singing from our canton songbook (copies available on our website).

Picnic in the Park is not likely to be scheduled this year. Will try again next year.

Our new device and badge have been submitted to Yehuda, Blue Tyger, submissions herald for the East. The process takes about 8 months. We are eagerly watching for progress through the system. Looking forward to making banners and tabards with the new device.

Our bank account is open and our exchequer has received the first bank statement.

A&S meetings are going brilliantly. Most recent class taught by Thorfinn on making wire rings was a huge hit. Pics in our Facebook group. Next meeting will be Pennsic prep: finish hemming & trimming that garb. Please keep an eye out for updates!

f. Website is coming along. Many thanks to Arnora, our provincial webminister for making a global shared calendar. Also to the society archivist for providing scans of the original artwork for canton members’ devices, now serving as our website banner. Usability review by EK web staff coming soon­ish. Next content to be added will be output from our A&S gatherings (photos, how­tos, etc.)

Barone Francesco notes ­ if absent, please send reports to officer’s list or to the recording secretary

C. Viceregal Comments

D. Viceregal Heirs Comments

We want 2 things at Barleycorn. First, we would like for everyone to reach out to old scadians, and get them to come back and enjoy themselves. At investitures, display all Sea stars, provincial regalia etc. Show all the stars!

II. Recently Past Events

A. Riverdale Riverfest — 05 June (Autocrat: Lady Elionora)

Suuder ­ Event was lightly attended, we had several fighters showed, some from Northkingdom. People liked it, despite weather and put on best show that we could with fighters as the main draw. At day’s end, all go put away with expediency. People there enjoyed us, and the young fighters from the north enjoyed themselves. Marshal was Sir Valgard and Sir Gui, and Big Luigj, who brought his pell and supervised kids.

B: New Dorp Highschool Demo ­ Comiccon

Lada ­ We were asked to attend at the last minute, a convention organized by the teachers for the students. We had a good turnout, with a few fighters, Austin, Scott, Ronin and Jay, under one marshal, Roger Yonge, one of Sir Gui’s squires. Got about 2 pages worth of names, which have gone to Sofya. Had people stop by, we were the only group outside, but others got moved indoors once the weather turned. School loved us, they are doing it again next year, and will be asking us to come. Do not yet have a date, and will give us whatever space we want. Really good for a short notice demo. Got a bit of a spot on NYU1, although we were mislabeled as larpers.

III. Upcoming Events

A: We received a missive from the Kingdom of Acre. Their autumn crusade is Sept 16­18th and we are invited. The event is in Connecticut. Friday night there will be torchlight tournament, please check with Lada for more information.

IV. Upcoming Demos

A. Queens Farm — 24 & 25 September (Autocrat: Baron Ian)

Queens Farm demo is still on, and they still have pig races. Please see Autocrat for more information.

B. Cloisters — 18 September

The Cloister’s Medieval Faire demo is our largest event of the year, during which they bring upwards of 3.000 people through the gates. Please see Alienor’s report for more details.

V. Old Business:

A. Viceregal Investiture at “John Barleycorn 2016”

1. Change of RP status on EK Website? Has gotten RP status ­ Suuder working with Wilhelm to change in the event listing. He has been a tremendous help. Negotiations with Wilhelm also go through Thomas

B. “By­Law Committee” — To identify loopholes in the By­Laws to be fixed

1. Committee has not yet met, Beatrice to look up members and get a meeting together.

VI. New Business

A. The new position of “Deputy Seneschal – Scribe”, has changed to “Deputy Seneschal ­ Recording Secretary.” It is an appointed position, and currently held by Beatrice della Rocca

VII. Next THREE (3) Upcoming Meetings

A. July: CANCELED for Pennsic
B. August: Norana has offered her place. Address is forthcoming
C. September 16th: Northpass ­ Thomas at the beach, a definite maybe.

We are always open to new locations! If you know of any, please contact the Seneschal to arrange.

End Time: 9:17pm
• Proposed: Brekke move to adjourn
• Seconded: the room
• Accepted / Denied: passed by acclamation

Ostgardr Commons – August 19th

I’m happy to host Ostgardr commons on August 19th.

My address is 273 Argyle Road, 1st floor in Brooklyn. If anyone gets lost, my phone number is 917-297-2356.

Take the Q train to Cortelyou road, walk three blocks left, and take a right on Argyle road.
Apartment 1.
There is a cat and small dog in residence.

I’ll put the meeting on Skype. But if anyone wants to access via Skype, they’ll need to email me at ArnoraKD [at] gmail [dot] com at least two days ahead of time to get the info and do a test call.

-Arnora/Norana Cantrell

Commons minutes May 2016

May Østgarðr Commons
[May 20? 2016]


Seneschal: The EK Webmaster (EK WM) thanked the Østgarðr Webminister (WM) for 18 years of service. Arnora has become the new WM.

i. Letter from EK WM to WM was read aloud in the meeting. EK WM suggests that Offices should have a term limit of 2 to 4 years. The EK WM forced a resignation of the current WM. Dissent was added into the minutes that there is not enough people to force term limits. Term Limits will not be used on the Canton level. Having term limits would cause people to play musical chairs with offices (but some people might object to being forced into another office). Not every office has a deputy because not many new people come to Commons Meetings. There was also concerns were brought up that events are only posted on Facebook.

ii. Seneschal Report: Baronè Francesco requested all Seneschals give all information for a master list of contacts for offices. Whyt Whey and Lion’s End give completed information. Broken Bridge is in flux. Northpass is finalizing their list.

Northpass: Barleycorn is coming up and preparations are going well. Northpass is trying to donate to the King’s travel fund. Barleycorn is a Kingdom level but not a Kingdom event. Barleycorn needs an archery marshal. Feastocrast for Barleycorn will be Mongolian. Barleycorn Autocrats are Wilhelm and Thomas’ son.

Chronicler: May Seahorse was sent twice because the deputy sent it the Seahorse editor did not get it (went to the wrong email) and sent it twice to be sure. Chronicler needs a new deputy. John (former WM) will be the new deputy Chronicler for now until anyone else will step up.

Fencing: Sword class NYC will have a fencing and fighting day for SCA fighter. Fencing is trying to get a Marshal to go to the McCarron Park practice on Monday nights. Fencing office cannot every meeting. Ettore Dandolo might have found a fencing space in Inwood but details are being worked out. A request was made to get the word out and let fighters and fencers to come to Barleycorn.

Exchequer: $1300 checking, $1200 saving. Whyt Whey has their own checking account. Paperwork submitted to kingdom for new seneschal to make money transactions. Guilded Pearl was asked to formalize their status if they were going out of business, they have $128 they might go into the Province.

Web Minister: Mailing list was moved to the EK host. Anyone on the old mailing list was added to the new mailing list. Anyone who is on the mailing list can post on the mailing list. ostgardrNYC@ostgardr.eastkingdom.org Email address came from Panix, but hosted by the SCA. All of the officer email address will be added to the list so they don’t have to subscribe. Going forward only SCA email addresses will be accepted if you want to update official information on the Ost website. When someone posts a new post to the website will be forward to the mailing list. In the future any officer will post to the site that will post to the mailing list that will post to the appropriate FB group. WM would like to have a meeting with all the canton’s WM to discuss the best way to handle requests. A question was asked if the private office boards would be moved to an EK site or would be still be hosted on the Yahoo group. It was agreed that the officer message board would be left on Yahoo Groups. It is in the Seneschal’s handbook to keep problem resolution at the lowest levels and so the Yahoo group will be keep to facilitate it. It is needed that if you want your name to be published and used you need to give written consent. The new Østgarðr WM has form available. If you do not give permission to have your information posted requests for information will go to the WM. The WM wants to change the calendar on the onsite and have the cantons use the same calendar to coordinate events, all officers were agreed this was a good idea. Østgärðr Seneschal requested the Østgärðr WM to send all her points to him as an email. Everyone officer will have the ability to post on the Østgärðr Website.

Herald: Herald was approached by a person to be a deputy herald. There will be a new Herald’s tabard, it is currently in the process being made.

Arts & Sciences: Glass Bead making class on June 18th. The reason we are going this class is the king and queen want to give them out to new comers.

Archery: Archery has started. One practice in Seaford and one in Staten Island. They have been well attended. A deputy Archery Marshal is being looked for. There is a person of interest but they need to be asked.

Brokenbridge: Brokenbridge needs to have a meeting. Officer will discuss a time that works. A deputy Seneschal has been chosen and will step in when the current seneschal steps down. A new A&S minster has been having classes and they have been successful.

Chatelaine (via email)
Gold Key:
Workshop-April 24th- Our gold key workshop on Sunday, April 24th was a huge success! I am proud of the work that was done: 13 pieces of badly needed sizes were completed. Thank you Godiva d’Mer, Þórfinn Hróðgeirsson, Arnora Ketilsdottir, Branimira of the Isles, and Angelica di Nova Lipa for spending your Sunday replenishing the gold key supply and supporting Ostgardr. You are amazing!

All gold key has been inventoried; a spreadsheet has been created and sent to our Exchequer, Angelica Di Nova Lipa, as per Kingdom request.
I will be submitting an invoice for $100 for budgeted gold key fabric.

Teen involvement: last commons meeting Lord Thomas brought up the subject of teens and their interest/involvement in the SCA. This subject has also been brought up by others as well and a forum on Facebook has been created to discuss this subject: East Kingdom Forum for Teen Activities. I think that a number of ideas presented in the forum can be implemented easily in Ostgardr but needs the support of our members. I think Barleycorn would be a great event to implement teen/youth activities. Maybe we can have a brief round table at Riverdale Riverfest to talk about details. I will be there and hope we can brain storm. Please shoot me an email if you are interested.

A new deputy chatelaine

I am very pleased to announce that Ostgardr has a new deputy chatelaine, Anneke Valmarsdotter. Anneke has volunteered to take on a role that she easily fits. Her grace, intellect and warming nature will be such a benefit to our recruitment of new members. Please take a moment to welcome her in her new role. Vivant!

EternalCon: June 10th through the 12th
We have been invited to participate at EternalCon in Garden City, NY and I pleased to say we have team of volunteers ready. During our last commons meeting, we agreed we would commit to Saturday, and open up Sunday to our neighbors, An Dubh. I’ve contacted their chatelaine and he’s working on recruiting for Sunday.

Although this event does conflict with Southern Region War camp, we still were able to create a wonderful program for EternalCon which will include medieval games, silk painting, and fencing. We even have a panel scheduled on the subject of persona! We will be given a table and volunteers will be given free access to the event. Thank you to our volunteers: Angelica di Nova Lipa, Richard the Poor, Ervald the Optimistic, Marion of York and Rónán fitz Robert for making this happen! I believe this is a wonderful opportunity for recruitment. I met Sunday with the organizer of EternalCon, Frank, and he was really excited to have us at his event and hopefully have us back next year.

Viceregents: Not in attendance

Viceregal Heirs: If you have awards you want requested, please put them forward for Barleycorn. Sir Edward of Northpass was suggested for an award for running Pennsic. If you have provincial awards send to current Viceregents and the Heirs. Also send in recommendations for kingdom awards.


Viking Day – The event went well. There were several people who were interested in the SCA. SCA was paid for the event for $400. There was youth fighting. Everyone was impressed by weapon knowledge of Chinua. Chinua brought up that the SCA needs to be able to put on a show and needs to get fighters and fencers reengaged in Demos. Østgarðr needs to offer incentives for fighters to come out. It was suggested we should have an online forum to discuss


Riverdale Riverfest – Will we demo Archery? A marshal need to inspect the site and a member of the site’s staff need to check the site to see if an archery range can safely be there. SCA will be paid $400.

Queens Farm – A&S events are trying to be had to produce things to show at the Demo.

Cloisters – Date is set for 9/18. Alienor is taking point on the event.

Musicians’ Day – It is Veterans’ Day weekend, moved from the weekend before Thanksgiving. Wilhelm will take charge of reservation. It was asked if people would be interested in a track of “New to You” classes. Local musicians would like to do more local outreach. Due to schedule conflict, the event needs a new head cook.


New Dorp High School Demo – Comic Convention that asked the SCA to attend.


Viceregal Investiture at “John Barleycorn 2016” – Full Marshal Championships will be at Barleycorn.

[OLD Business – Gambling for fencers? ]

Do we have a liquor license, no but we have the local police giving us permission to have alcohol on site as long as we did not sell it or give it to minors. Are we going to have liquor? Yes. The SCA does not want any of its officers or groups to gift alcohol. What if an SCA member got a liquor license for a day? If a person gets a liquor license, they person can use that license, not the SCA. Officers can give the King and Queen a gift of alcohol


Creation of a “Scribe” – should we make an office for Scribe, or make a “Deputy Seneschal – Recording Secretary”. The downside was making sure they come to meetings, or making sure the Recording Secretary has someone as a substitute.

Alec will be the new Østgarðr Deputy Captain of Fence, under THLady Marion of York.


June – Lada & Suuder’s home
July – None, due to PENNSIC
August – Arnora and Ragnarr’s home
September – Pending

Call to adjourn meeting: Brekke
Seconded: Rufina
“All in favour?” – Unanimous
End time: 10:39

Ostgardr Commons Minutes for April

Start Time: 8:15pm

The Seneschal requests that all CANTON SENESCHALS please email him a list of Officers of your Cantons. Also, all CROWN PROVINCIAL OFFICERS, please email a full listing of all Deputies. Include their:
-Mundane Name
-SCA name (including title)
-Membership number
-Expiration date
-Email address
-Let’s make sure ALL officers are members!
-As an FYI, Seneschals can get a census of all EK members with their membership numbers and expiration date by contacting Milpitas, but it costs $5.


Minister of Fencing, Marion of York (sent via email)
Other than Cake and Death fighter practice, I haven’t done much to report. Ettore has found space in a church  

Arts and Sciences, Lada Monguligin (sent via email):
-Call went out from TRM for beads for newcomers. So we will have a BEAD MAKING CLASS at Piglet’s on Saturday June 18th taught by Lord Conor  O Ceallaigh. Materials fee is $20 and can be paid at the door. Please RSVP to Lada to hold your space.
-Pennsic U deadline is May 1st- Consider teaching a class and sharing your knowledge. Additionally this year is Bog U which is exactly what it sounds like.
-SCRIBAL SHOPPING on April 30th: We will meet at the Astor Place Starbucks at 9am depart from there at 9:30am and head to two art stores nearby: Dick Blick and New York Central Art Supply. Then we will make the trip Uptown to Lee’s Art Shop on W57th.


Chronicler (via email)
-There is one deputy, John Elys, who is Webminister. It was noted by those attending that he has expressed interest in stepping down as webminister.

-MUSICIANS DAY – Blue Mountain Lodge was unavailable for traditional weekend (Nov 19-20), so we’re pencilled in for November 12-13. It does NOT conflict with Hundred Minutes’ War’ WarMusicians Day. Projected budget available
-Thomas of Northpass has been in touch with them. We are only pencilled in so we need to give them a check moderately soon or tell them we are cancelling. Cost is $600 for 2 days plus $200 deposit.

-It was noted by Francesco that not many people have administrative access to ostgard@panix so it would be better to move the list to an East Kingdom server.

Northpass, Thomas of Northpass
– Much of last meeting was spent on Barleycorn, but many details have changed since then (including the fact that it will 95% chance be investiture). Wilhelm is autocrat. Co-autocrat is Phil. Feastocrat is Sheldon Wax. Sephardic cooking was the original idea, but since it’s now investiture, a Mongolian feast would be fitting.

-The cost is $3000 for entire weekend, $1800 for feast. It has all been paid for. Northpass had ~$6k in their coffers (including the money given to pay for Barleycorn).

-Also GOAT’S TAVERN is coming up in the fall at Blue Mountain Lodge.


-Next month’s meeting is going to be at the beach instead of at Wilhelm’s so if you come up early you’re welcome to use Tom’s canoes and such.

Chatelaine of Northpass
Northpass has a new Chatelaine, Phil! He is trying to get some friends at Westchester Community College to see if they can get a club going. Needs to have 2 students to start club. He already has someone who can be staff sponsor.

Chatelaine, Sofya of Ostgardr
-Congrats to our new Chatelaine of Northpass, Phil!
-Next week, Sunday the 24th, is a GOLD KEY WORKSHOP. We have a lot of people coming to help make new loaner garb and even have a newcomer coming! Everyone is welcome to join in! Contact Sofya for details.
-Sofya is typing up an inventory of the current Gold Key and it will be in Exchequer’s hands by next meeting
-She will also be making queens favors if anyone wants to join in on that.

History, Richard the Poor:
-Viceregal polling is approved!

-We will be having an investiture in the not to distant future, and majesties will be required to be there. They will also be able to give out awards, so think about who you might want to NOMINATE AWARDS for, and check out next issue of E Horse to see the article about how to do that effectively.


-Piglet mentions about a museum? Or library? That’s interested in SCA archival materials. She will look it up and let people know the info.
EDITED TO ADD: Piglet found the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/17551346704/permalink/10153575174811705/
“the University of California Riverside Libraries has created a permanent SCA archival collection…If you have publications or media you would like to contribute, please contact the SCA Liaison to the UCR Libraries, Countess Leonora Morgana (Stacie Tibbetts) at collections@sca.org or at 714-544-8490 before 8 pm PST. (The University Libraries are unable to accept direct donations on behalf of the Society, and sending them materials directly could result in their loss.)”

Exchequer, Angelica di Nova Lipa
– We have about $7600 in checkings and $7400 in savings, so we have money.
-We have not gotten rid of funds from the (now-defunct?) Gilded Pearl (an East Kingdom guild that was focused on the Renaissance time period. It was started here and needed somewhere to put their money) yet, which is about $128. We will figure out what is the appropriate thing to do with the money


Whyt Whey, Alienor Salton
– Thorfinnr reports that Picnic in Ruins had to be rescheduled due to site permit issue. We were sent the permit, but the Parks Service double-booked the park and rescinded our permit.
-There will be QUEEN’S FAVOR KITS available at the next Solar. The class will be VIKING WIRE WEAVING taught by Thorfinnr. We may also be taste testing the Anglo-Norman dishes for a feast. (Was going to be for investiture, but that is going to be Barleycorn which already has a feastocrat)
-We will also be discussing the new Whyt Whey heraldry at the NEXT Solar. Two options are currently being conflict checked.

Captain of Archers, Suuder Saran:
We are starting ARCHERY this weekend at Staten Island.
– Haven’t heard from the Lions End marshall, so not sure when they will start up. She MAY step up to be Captain of Archers after investiture.

Brokenbridge, Suuder Saran
Baconbridge was well attended.
-Brokenbridge is NOT changing heraldry. That was a miscommunication.
-Ragnar Blitzkeg is going to step up as drop-dead Seneschal after investiture

Lion’s End, Francesco G Greco
– We have about $2600. Our last meeting had 3 people so couldn’t have quorum. Needed 6 officers and only had 5, so meeting was unofficial (?).
– Heraldry tabard was passed to Moungou (Gary), and Maria is freshening the tabard up now.


No recently passed events


Viking Day: May 14
-In Owl’s Head Park, put on the Scandinavian Museum.
-No more conflictcontradiction with Picnic in the Park.
-Brad will get in contact with site for details about when we need to arrive, leave, etc.
-Maria asked if we could put it on the EK Calendar.
-As long as posted in E Horse then we are covered for insurance. (EK calendar isn’t necessary for insurance), but we CAN post demo, so let’s do that.

Note by Thomas
– What is Ostgardr going to do with June 2-3 reservation at Veteran Memorial Park in Putnam Valley (was made as a possible investiture date) that Tom paid for out of pocket ($150)? Should he get money back or get future date? Tom has got a list of all future available dates and given it to Brad. But we can’t wait to decide.
-The site misses us doing demo and likes us
-We can get a much better deal, it’s only $150. Could hold 300-400 people piece of cake, but doesn’t have functioning kitchen. We can even have horses if let them know in time.
–Vote was made. Decided to get the money back, since it is relatively easy to re-reserve it when we decide when we need it.


Riverdale: Sunday, June 5 (NOT JUNE 4!!!)
-Laurie will autocrat it.
-We need(?) $600 for it.
-We will need to figure out how to do the tent once Mitch(?) leaves for Europe. It’s more a matter of transport and storage than how to get it up. Piglet has access to a van. Luigi can volunteer to keep stuff in his garage.

-We thought it was on the EK calendar, but it isn’t. We’ll need to fix that.


Queen’s Farm: Sept 25
– Ian is autocrat. Camping, fighting, and everything else.

Cloisters: Sept 18 (not yet official date)
– Because the museum puts out a yearly calendar that starts in the early summer, the Cloisters date is not officially official. But Piglet has asked her contact if we can verify the date as firm and will put it on EK Calendar when she hears. It should be Sept 18 which is 2 weeksish earlier than normal.

Investiture: Barleycorn
Their Majesties have contacted us, and said polling was valid. Congrats Lada and Suuder!
-Suuder: We have been in contact with TRM and Gui has been instrumental in talking with them. We are looking at Barleycorn for investiture. About a week ago TRM sent us a message saying that  Barony of Smoking Rock put in the same date as  Barleycorn for THEIR investiture, but since their polling is still in process, TRM has asked Smoking Rock to use a different date. Smoking Rock has tentatively agreed.  So we are 95% sure that it will be Barleycorn. Brad will let you know ASAP when it can be made official.
-Maria mentioned that it would be a nice gesture to thank Smoking Rock. Suuder says he and Lada plan on visiting them in Pennsic to thank them and possibly giving a gift. (Maybe also go to their investiture?)
See also: EternalCon demo and New Dorp HS Con demo mentioned in New Business


Bylaw Committee, Francesco G Greco
-The new Bylaw Committee is a committee to go through our laws and bylaws and find loopholes and other things that need to be fixed. Richard the PoorRufina, John, Beatrice, and Valgard have volunteered for this at the last Commons. We can still take volunteers if anyone wants to join.

Youth Participation, Thomas of Northpass
– His daughter (17 yo) doesn’t want to go to Pennsic, because it’s not fun for teens. She’s going to write a thesis paper about why. Thomas wants to create a committee to find out why kids don’t want to go. Is the SCA a fighter’s group or a family group?
-Tom wants to have two meetings at Pennsic one with 11 and under (with parents) and one with 12 and over (without parents). But he may need more Minor Chancellors? Would like to get Sir Edward (pennsic mayor) and some Royals to come.
-What sort of changes can we institute?
-Piglet mentioned the East Kingdom Forum of Teen Activities that has been having roundtables with teens and kids and started on doing some similar activites.
-Jackie recommended getting input from families who HAVE successfully had teenagers grow in the SCA and stay active

Old Known World Handbook
-If you have the old (1994?) version of Knowne World Handbooke, (the one with the blurb about Fun Mavens and Authenticity Mavens) contact Tom:

Eternal Con Demo: June 10-12, Zorikh
– There is a really good demo opportunity at a SFF con, EternalCon, June 10-12 in Garden City, NY at the Cradle of Aviation Museum. eternalcon.com
-The date is in conflict with Southern Region War Camp, but not everyone goes.
– ACL and several LARP groups had successful demos in parking lot. ACL might not be able to make it, but the con runners are interested in having similar. We can have a table or lots (workshop, lecture, panel discussion, fight demo. The more we do the more discounts or free passes they can give us.
– We Voted YES to do it
-We discussed whether we wanted to do one or two days. We thought two days would be a lot, but Maria is going to ask An Dubh if they wanted to do the other day since the con is near the border. For now, we will plan for Saturday only.
-Zorikh asks people to think about any workshops or lectures or other programming that they would like to give/hold.

New Dorp Fine Arts High School Comic con Demo: May 21
-Gui has brought to our attention a comic con being put on by the students at a high school in Staten Island
-It is very easy to access via public transport and car and there is parking.
-They will have an arena for LARPers, etc.
-Is anyone interested in taking the lead on this? Let us know!




May: Baron Francesco (Lion’s End)
June: Lada and Suuder’s new home (Brokenbridge)
July: Nonexistent for Pennsic
August: Piglet (Whyt Whey)

Motion to adjourn: 10:33

Commons minutes March 2016

Ostgardr Commons, 18 Mar 2016
Transcribed by Rowan Sawyer

Minutes of the Commons of the Crown Province of Ostgardr, 18 March 2016

In attendance:
Baron Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa – Seneschal
Master John Elys – Webminister
THLady Lada Monguligin – A&S
THLord Thomas the Constable of Northpass – Northpass
Lady Beatrice of Ostgardr – Scribe
Magistra Rufina Cambrensis – Chronicler
Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver – Knight Marshal
Lady Godiva d’Mer – (WW: A&S)
Lord Alexander MacLachlan
Lady Angelica Di Nova Lipa – Exchequer
Lady Sofya Gianetta di Trieste – Chatelaine
Lady Alienor Salton – Whyt Whey
Master Philip White

Start Time: 8:01pm
End Time: 9:44pm
Proposed: Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver
None opposed.


Seneschal Report: Baron Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa
The Seneschal would like to have a full and comprehensive listing of all the officers and deputies in Ostgardr; as such he requests:
All Canton Seneschals email him a full and complete listing of all Cantonal Officers
All Crown Provincial Officers email him a full and complete listing of all deputies and officers.
Please include the following in the above reports;
Mundane Name
Medieval Name, including title
Membership Number, with expiration date
Email address

Arts and Sciences Report: The Honorable Lady Lada Monguligin
Arts and Sciences are flourishing in the Province, both Brokenbridge and Whyt Whey have regular A&S nights.
Last night, Lady Godiva d’Mer taught a class on Pysanki, the Ukrainian art of dyeing eggs.
Next month in Whyt Whey, there will be a class on wire weaving. Keep an eye out for more A&S events!

Exchequer: Lady Angelica Di Nova Lipa
There is $7699.35 in the bank account, including all guilds, other groups, and cantons.
Northpass and Lions End have their own accounts and are not included in the above number.
(The Honorable Lord Thomas the Constable of Northpass reports that there is about $5000 in their bank account.)
THLord Thomas asks if the Gilded Pearl’s account was closed, and if so, what happened to the money.
The Gilded Pearl was a guild that may have recently ended.
The Exchequer will look into it, and report back next meeting.

Webmaster: Master John Elys
The Webmaster will be stepping back to being deputy, and his deputy (Norana) will be stepping up to be Webmaster.
The Webmaster has been looking into having meetings held in cyberspace.
This was discussed at the officers’ meeting
Many people have a hard time coming out to weeknight meetings, as this involves upwards of 2 hours travel time, in addition to the meeting itself.
Options are as follows:
gotomeeting.com: $39/month for up to 25 participants per meeting; $49 for up to 100. Free 1month trial. Video, screensharing, voice, recording. Can get 50% discount for nonprofits (plus $12 admin fee) through TechSoup on up-to-25-participants plan. See www.techsoup.org/search/products/Citrix
webex.com: $39/month for up to 25 participants per meeting; $49 for up to 100. (Costs more if not buying a whole year at a time). Video, screensharing, voice, collaborative document markup & whiteboard, recording (incl. video)
uberconference.com: Free for up to 10 participants; $10/month/organizer for up to 100 (costs more if not buying a whole year at a time). Phone and VoIP audio, screensharing, document sharing, recording
Google hangouts: Free. “group chats for up to 100 people”; up to 10 video. Also have voice capability; not sure of the limits. Can record text conversations, probably not A/V.
The group considers that Google hangouts would be better for smaller groups, with documents being collaborated in real time. In addition, while you do need a google account to access it, you do not need to have a gmail address. Options for larger meetings to be discussed in the future.

Chronicler’s Report: Magistra Rufina Cambrensis
When giving reports on demos, please send information to the Chronicler, who will advertise it in the Seahorse. Please email, call, or whatever else you need to do to get her the information.
Bish has made an archive group, with the intention of storing all records, including reports, and Seahorse publications.
This will allow for easier access to all information
This will also allow us to keep better track of reporting by officers
Webmaster will work with Bish to secure the archive
Reminder to all to subscribe to the eHorse, it is entirely free!

Knight Marshal’s Report: Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver
Fight practices and events throughout winter
One official practice in Williamsburg, happening intermittently on weekends, and under another group’s banner
We had a birthday party for the Viceroy at Swordplay NYC, with cake, soda. 3 rapier fighters, and 2 rattan fighters present.
There have been no injuries, issues or new authorizations
Reminder about using allowed space: When we have a space, do not leave the rooms allowed, or this will result in our losing the space. This may be happening to other groups, but is good for no one.
Projections for spring practices
There is a discussion happening about the day and time of practices in spring and going into summer.
Should be sorted out by next meeting
No report on archery

Seneschal of Canton of Whyt Whey: Lady Alienor Salton
More paperwork is required for the bank; should be taken care of by next meeting
Cloisters demo has been moved to September 18th, and will be discussed under New Business.

Chatelaine’s Report: Lady Sofya of Ostgardr

Gold Key

All gold key has been boxed, and the Chatelaine is taking a new inventory of it.
There will be a tunicmaking workshop, either on Apr. 17th or the 24th. It will be an all day event, food will be provided, but labour is needed! Please keep an eye out for the event listing

Enigma Bookstore Demo

With Angelica and Richard
Great small, interactive event, that allowed us to learn a lot about how we want tables to be set up in future.
Great showing, with interested people, much better than last year.
Hope to have it next year, but unsure if owners will have the demo next year, although they support us.

Workshops and Classes in the Fall

Working with Jackie to create classes for the fall and workshops
Workshops and classes would be either at Jackie or Sofya’s places.
There will be a survey sent out to gauge what people are interested in learning, teaching, and volunteering

Seneschal of Northpass: The Honorable Lord Thomas of Northpass

Bear’s Tavern happened this year. Made a few hundred dollars, as the event sold out
Philip the Firstborn is considering becoming Chatelain of Northpass.
He would like to discuss the matter with Lady Sofya
They do not have their own gold key at present.


Northpass bank account has around $5000 in it, which is NOT enough to cover Barleycorn, which is $3000 a day, not including additionals, or food costs
A new site is needed due to accessibility issues and weather

Arts and Sciences Minister of Canton of Whyt Whey: Lady Godiva d’Mer

Monthly A&S meetings

These meetings serve as both gatherings and teaching events
Last meeting was March 17th, and was a class on Pysanky. There will be a description on Facebook and in the Seahorse, as well as in the new archive. It was a great success, and Lady Godiva is considering holding another one after Pennsic. Pysanky is not suitable for children as the dye is toxic

Next meeting is April 21st, and will be a class on viking wireweaving, by Thorfirr. It is requested that you bring 24 gauge wire.

A&S Initiative; Songbook

We are creating a songbook that will include the Anthem of the East, as well as various other songs that people would like to sing.
We already have 12 songs, which prints out to 5 pages.

Report from Lion’s End

There are two people interested in becoming Seneschal
They have a little over $2600 in the account

Viceregal comments: neither present

Minutes of Officer Corps Meeting

(Meeting minutes are in the works, high points given)

1. Elections
a. New Exchequer, Herald, and Seneschal were elected

2. Investiture
a. Discussion on location and timing.
i. It is preferred to have Investiture in Ostgardr
ii. The Royals are able to make September 3rd.

3. ByLaw Committee
a. There are several gaps in the bylaws, and it is decided to create a committee to look into it and make recommendations to the Officers as to what should be fixed

Upcoming Events and Demos

1. Viking Demo, 14th May 2016
2. Picnic in the Park, 14th May 2016 [Cancelled — editor] 3. Riverdale Riverfest, 4th June 2016
4. Queens Farm, 24th and 25th of September
a. Autocrat is Baron Ian
5. Fort Tryon Medieval Fair Demo, 18th September

Old Business

1. Viceregal Polling and Investiture
a. Viceregal polling has been successful, and we have met quorum.
i. Date and place of Investiture are being worked out
ii. Master Philip and Lady Sofya to co-autocrat
iii. As yet there is no Feastocrat

New Business

1. ByLaw Committee
a. As per the Officers’ meeting, we need to have a committee to go through the ByLaws for loopholes, and present report to Officers
b. It must hold at least one officer.
c. Brekke, Richard the Poor, and Beatrice are interested.

Next Three Commons Meetings

1. Discussion
a. A discussion was had regarding when the next meetings should be held. Val proposed and Rufina seconded a motion to cancel the July meeting due to Pennsic.
Val proposed and John seconded a motion to cancel the May meeting as it is in the middle of demo season. Rufina points out that it would be an excellent time for the committees to get together and have meetings themselves

2. April Meeting
a. To be held at Alienor Salton’s

3. June Meeting
a. To be held at Baron Francesco’s, unless another place can be found

4. August Meeting
a. To be held at Lady Lada’s new residence.

End of Meeting Reminder that the following Officers are in need of replacement
1. Lion’s End Seneschal
2. Master of Lists

Ostgardr Commons, this Friday, 7pm

Ostgardr Commons meeting is this coming Friday, April 15th, at 7pm, at 255 W. 105th St., #21. Directions here: http://www.panix.com/~piglet/solar-directions.html

Menu will be Bal-Po soup (lamb stew over rice), poppy seed buns, sesame noodles, hummus w/ pita. Recipes are from http://silverhorde.viahistoria.com/main.html?research/MostlyMongolianCooking.html Supplements (vegetarian dishes, drinks, desserts, etc.) welcome.

Østgardr commons tomorrow evening

Reminder: Østgardr commons tomorrow evening, my venue (http://www.panix.com/~piglet/solar-directions.html [now with map]), 7:30pm. Parking is generally available along Riverside Dr. You are welcome to arrive any time after 7.

Dinner is corned beef & cabbage (& carrots & potatoes), soda bread. Also, roasted vegetables and spinach quiche courtesy of Rowan. Contributions of drinks & of dessert are especially welcomed.

I do not know the agenda.

Commons minutes January 2016

Commons Minutes
Friday, January 15th, 2016


Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa, called Bish, – OSTGARDR Seneschal
Guy Cheveux de Guise – OSTGARDR Viceroy
Johanne i Visby – OSTGARDR Vicereine
Richard the Poor – OSTGARDR Exchequer
Katherine Gilliesfleur – OSTGARDR Chamberlaine
Lada Monguligun – OSTGARDR Mistress of Arts and Sciences
Suuder Saran – OSTGARDR Captain of Archers
Sofya Gianetta di Trieste – OSTGARDR Chatelaine
Magdelana Caminante – OSTGARDR Deputy Chatelaine
Angelica di Nova Lipa
Mongu Chinua
Ian of Clan Mitchell
Devra the Baker
Thomas of Northpass
Ibrahim al-Rashid
Brekke Franksdottir
Lillie Redtowers
Philip White



4th Q 2016 report sent in.

Notes that five checks have to go out tonight

Item of interest: Received a notice on Savings account (about $6,000) has been steadily earning interest of about $1.00 per month, but is otherwise dormant; this amount of dormancy can lead to escheatment (surrender of the funds) to NYS. Tomorrow I will go to Capitol One to straighten this out. Future Exchequer (To Be Determined) is reminded to maintain activity in the savings account by moving money into/out of it at least yearly.

Re: term in office, Richard met with EK Exchequer, and asked that his warrant as Exchquer not be renewed as of Feb 15th. Richard will hold onto the paperwork, and advise the future Provencial Exchequer.

Angelica di Nova Lipa, present Exchequer of Whyt Whey, can become the Provencial Deputy when a successor Exchequer can be found for Whyt Whey. Ibrahim al-Rashid has volunteered to take the position, with support from Angela.

Books are in order; there was an EK review of finances and property. EK Informed us that we should have an inventory of items such as feast gear. Viceroy opines that feastgear is fully depreciated. We will likely do a count of current feast gear (pots, pans, serving dishes, utensils) for our own information.

Guy notes that we need to inventory the chains of state, etc.

Musicians’ Day was reported as a great success in terms of the classes, music, and food, however we are still waiting on the financials.


Term ends January 2017

Lady Magdelena has volunteered as Deputy Chatelaine

Gold Key (loaner clothing): Inventory will be taken for our own information, and reported to Exchequer for EK reports

From the $100 allocated by the Province, we are looking at two dates in February, to make basic tunics for men and women.

Updating handouts to reflect new EK emails and web site address

Officer holders are reminded to update any of their own communications and to use the new EK email assigned to you.

Just sent out Chatelaine’s report, apologies to the Seneschal

Thank Lillie Redtowers for her update on Brokenbridge.

Don’t need a formal report from the Cantons, but would find it helpful to have notice of new people who have expressed interest or joined the SCA in the Cantons. Where a Canton does not have a chatelaine, the Seneschal or other Canton officer is requested to contact me. An email would do nicely.

Demo for First Contact at the LaGuardia Marriott on February 20th. Bish, Richard, Angelica, will join. This will be a hands-on/interactive demo including Silk painting, brass-rubbings, games, and other items/crafts where the public can literally see and touch our reenactment of the current middle ages. The Ostgardr populace will receive many reminders via official Yahoo groups, Facebook Groups, and we request that the E-Horse include a notice in the next regular edition put out prior to February 20th.

OSTGARDR EARL MARSHALL, Viceroy Gui reporting on behalf of Ostgardr’s Earl Marshall Jarl Valgard Stonecleaver, who is currently delayed in California by a family event.

Outdoor fighter practice has been suspended for the cold season.

Indoor Practice is available at the Knights’ Hall, also known as The Akron. Sparring space is available for $35 per hour.

Knights’ Hall
1944 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10035
between 124th, 125th streets in East Harlem
BY SUBWAY: The 4/5/6 Express stop at 125 St east of Madison.
BY MTA BUS: Numerous bus routes cross through the area, including the M1 both north and southbound, the M60 east and westbound.

We are considering announcing fight workshops / classes at fixed date/times (not free exercise)

Lady Marion (on Long Island) is willing to come into Manhattan to the location to run fencing training. But would have to be assured that people would show up in numbers.

Gui is willing to teach a greatsword class, given sufficient interest.

Gui’s postings on making armor have, for the most part, been ignored; hasn’t received much feedback on armor making.


Practices are now over for the winter. We did have an additional practice due to fair weather and Mongu Chinua.

OSTGARDR CHAMBERLAINE, Mistress Katherine Gilliesfleur

The large green & White tent is in storage.

Feast gear is in Wilhelm’s garage

Asks to set up inventory (more for us than EK), will need volunteers


Bish – OSTGARDR Seneschal

We have received a copy of the ballot from the EK representative who will receive mailed ballots and tally them.

As soon as we receive the populace address labels, volunteers Bish, Sofya, Angelica will coordinate envelope and stamp purchases, duplication of ballots, addressing all envelopes, stuffing, and mailing. Sofya volunteered her home as work site.



Don’t know current term limits for Chronicler Magistra Rufina
[Ed. Note: per Acting Seneschal’s request, I contacted my Kingdom superior asking about Kingdom-imposed term limits, and never got an answer.]


All officers should have (and use!) office-named e-mail addresses on the eastkingdom.org server. If you don’t have one yet, check with your Webmaster: Arnora for Brokenbridge, John Elys for Ostgardr and Lions End, Wilhelm for Northpass. We think Whyt Whey is in compliance (check with Lou and Godiva).

General Query on our upcoming 50th anniversary:

Ostgardr started in 1968.


Ostgardr’s 50th anniversary is in two years. Time to think about what we will do to celebrate this milestone.

SCA 50th Anniversary.

Lady Magdelena is part of the East Kingdom crew coordinating the multimedia display for presentation during the anniversary event. As we were, and still are an important part of the Kingdom, our members undoubtedly have many old photos, and can produce new images by photo or scan of award and recognition scrolls, A&S items of all types.

The East Kingdom display for our 50th Anniversary will be in an 8 foot by 20 footprint, including the original crowns, seals, and oils of dedication. Everything else will be displayed on two 22″ monitors for the high resolution displays in the EK exhibit.

The display will be finalized mid-May. So, keep those e-cards and letters coming in. There will be a scanner at Birka.

Locally, Angelica di Nova Lipa will be happy to take scans of your hard copy photos, and to return the photos directly to you.

As this is a private showing of media, no model/artist releases are required.

Following the 50th anniversary, there may later be a ‘traveling show’ available for the local groups.

BACONBRIDGE in the Canton of Brokenbridge, Saturday February 6th. 10 AM – 6 PM

Join the canton of BrokenBridge for the celebration of Bacon, and all foods cured with our first ever BACONBRIDGE. Baconbridge will feature classes, on curing different meats, making jerky, origami pigs, bacon-fat candles, and more. Bring us your odes to bacon and curing, to the Baconbridge Balladry Battle, a contest for all who wish to write haikus, sonnets, or quatrain (try to keep your poem under 100 words). For those who wish to personify the essence of bacon, we will have Sir Francis Bacon Garb Contest, a contest of the fashionable. There will also be, wait for it, RAFFLE ITEMS!
Please, check out our comprehensive event website at http://brokenbridge.eastkingdom.org/event-calendar/bacon/

2nd floor Community Room
140 Cadman Plaza West, 2nd Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Whether you think you’re coming or not, PRE-Register! This site is in a doorman building, and if your name is not on the list, you’’re not getting in, no matter how anachronistically you are dressed!


March 4-6

Pitched to be family friendly with the theme “Robin Hood”. Bear will do his best to be there. For more info, see http://www.eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=2937

The head chef for this event is Lou from Three Skulls, a notable expert in populace pleasing cuisine!


Bish to follow up with Elionora to determine her resignation date. Get copy of resignation. EK Seneschal or Southern Deputy should have this. If they do not have it, Elionora needs to be prompted to formalize resignation to EK Seneschal, and copy Bish, Gui, and Johanne, at minimum.
[Editor: this has since been done, and the resignation letter posted to the relevant e-lists.]

Mistress Rufina is requested to create a special edition of the E-Horse regarding the upcoming Seneschal elections.
[Editor: done.]

Populace of the Crown Province, including all Cantons, is encouraged to speak their minds to their Canton and Provencial Seneschals, on which of the candidates for the Ostgardr Seneschals they prefer.

The current slate of Ostgardr Seneschal Candidates are:

Baron Ian”
Master Philip White

Any additional nominations for the office of Seneschal for the Crown Province of Ostgardr need to be tendered by the end of February, the 29th, and addressed to our Viceroy Gui, Vicereine Johanne, and Seneschal ‘Bish’.

The eligible officers [per Bylaws, “Viceregency, all the rostered officers of the Province, and the Seneschals of each of the Cantons”] will cast their votes at the Ostgardr Officers’ Meeting. Our beloved Vicereine Johanne encourages the populace to think on these elections and to make their wishes known. This election will go forward on Sunday March 13th, 2 PM, at the home of the Ostgardr Chatelaine, Lady Sofya, in Astoria. All may attend, however only the named officers may vote. Ostgardr by-laws are in full force; all voting-eligible officers are encouraged to attend.



Chatelaine Lady Sofya proposes that the Province and Cantons again sponsor Seasons Beatings, a free one day event (current cost is reported as $200 for the Blue Mountain Lodge site in Peekskill), and requests that the Province and Cantons contribute $75 dollars each for the event. Cantons and Province are requested to confirm or deny this financial contribution for the next Seasons Beatings event for December 2016 or January 2017, dependent on site scheduling.

This event has been highly successful in terms of populace and newcomer attendance and enjoyment, and is high on the list of most-requested events.


LADY MAGDELENA CARMINANTE will host the next Ostgardr Commons meeting on (the third Friday of) February, the 19th, at her home in Peekskill, in northern Westchester County.

Locations are requested for the March and April Commons.

Canton of Brokenbridge Reports

Brokenbridge Seneschal: Suuder Saran

BB had a meet the candidates night

A&S: Lady Lada reports Lots of things going on.

Lada & Conandil – Calligraphy in Northpass

Brokenbridge Exchequer and Chatelaine

Lillie Redtowers, Exchequer: Money: $2,712.17 held by Province of Ostgardr

Chatelaine: 4th Q – contacts. One young man has been participating, but not yet joined.

Outdoor Fighter practice at McCarren closed for the winter

A&S Minister (Anneke Valmarsdotter) is holding A&S 2nd Friday of each month


Gold Key held by…

Feb event coming up: Baconbridge, needs to see everyone there Saturday Feb 6th.

Summary: Overall a good 2016.

Canton of Lionsend

Have a new Deputy Seneschal, Alec MacLachlan, previous of An Dubhaigein.

Needs a web minister. Bish needs help. Arnora is suggested as a resource, and Michele the Ubiquitous has offered assistance.

Recurrent issue, Need the correct procedure to change officer names / email in the Pikestaff and on websites.

Ostgardr Officer candidates should be persons who routinely attend Ostgardr Commons and Officer meetings a minimum of 50% of the time, plus 1 additional time. (? Per by-laws?)

Canton of Northpass, given by Northpass Seneschal, Thomas of Northpass

Upcoming soon, Bear’s Tavern, the theme for which this year is Robin Hood, which Bear intends to attend (currently hospitalized in King’s Hospital, and very bored, could use company.)

Northpass is solvent

There are forms planning for “Goats Tavern” for the autumn, to have the theme of preparing for winter.

Vicereine Johanne asks that the group be updated on John the Bear’s progress, and that he be advised of our warm regard.