Orders and Awards

Confused about the orders and awards of the SCA, the East Kingdom, and our fair Province of Østgarðr? Prompted by a recent question on Facebook regarding our awards, one of our local heralds blogged about the award structure, and created a visual chart of our varied awards.

Presented here for your delectation is said chart, in all its glory.

Charts of non-Martial and Martial Awards of the SCA, the East Kingdom and the Province of Østgarðr

Posted in Arts & Sciences, fighting | 1 Comment

Pennsic Update from our MoAS

Mistress Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, our provincial Minister of Arts & Sciences, shares with us an update from this summer’s Pennsic War:

Children’s largesse

At Pennsic, on Tuesday, August 8th, the children of Østgarðr made a wonderful gift presentation to the King and Queen. Led by the drumming of Lady Angelica di Nova and the singing of Hlaefdige Alienor Salton, Østgarðr supporters and residents, the children pulled a wagon carrying two large dragons (one purple and gold, the other green and white) stuffed with mini dragons, princesses, puppets and games for the children’s largesse. The King and Queen of the East were delighted and appreciative of the gifts. I want to thank all who contributed to this presentation.

​Lady Alienor’s words as sung to the King and Queen during the presentation:

Sing a song of Østgarðr!
​We captured these two dragons;
​Freed a score of princesses &
​Put them in our wagon.
​When you cut them open
​You loose the baby dragons.
​Isn’t this a grand largesse
​We carry on our wagon?

​Our king’s in his encampment —
​We call it EK Royal.
​Our queen is seated with him,
​A handmaiden loyal.
​Your subjects come before you,
​Bearing gifts for children.
​We hope you will accept our gifts
​And do not beat our children!

Classes

Many individuals from Østgarðr shared their time, knowledge and skill by teaching a class or several classes at Pennsic. Thank you all for volunteering!

Magistra Rufina Cambrensis:
• Citole Solar​​​
• Voices and Viols: Gamben Und Singen

Master John Elys:
• ​Medieval Music Notation: Petrucci’s Prodigious Press
• Medieval Music Notation: the Chansonniers of Marguerite of Austria

Hlaefdige Alienor Salton:
•​ Cords: Lucet vs. Tablets vs. Fingerloops (vs. 4-strand plaiting)
• Viking Era Headgear: A Survey

Benjamin:
• Dancing for kids by a kid

Lady Conandil ingen Donngaile:
• Casa Bardicci Dancing in the Villa: Ball Prep for 15th-C Ball
• Casa Bardicci Dancing in the Villa: A 15th-Century Italian Ball

Lord Þórfinn Hróðgeirsson:
• Sixth-C Chinese Grain Wine from Qimin Yaoshu

Ariana De Gallo:
• Beginner Dance: English Country Dance
• Advanced Six Person Playford

Lady Vika Grigina z Prahy:
• Elizabethan Working Clothes
• A Brief Survey of Banners

Il-Khatun Lada Monguligin:
• Conversational Russian
• Russian Calligraphy

Mistress Sofya Gianetta di Trieste:
• The 16th Century Italian Zimarra

Jenna ChildSlayer​:
• Pennsic 101

Ibrahim al-Rashid:
• Basic nålbinding
• Egyptian nålbinding

Posted in Arts & Sciences, Pennsic | Leave a comment

Commons minutes September 2017

MINUTES OF Østgarðr COMMONS September 15 2017

Attendees:

Francesco Gaetano Greco d’Edessa, aka Bish, seneschal
Erich Guter Muth, minister of lists
Beatrice della Rocca, chatelaine
Angelica di Nova Lipa, exchequer
Alienor Salton, seneschal Whyt Whey
Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, youth combat marshal
Alec MacLachlan, fencing deputy
Jacqueline Helene Loisel
Luigi
Richard the Poor of Ely, historian
Thomas of Northpass, seneschal Northpass
Philip White, EK MoAS
Mongu Chinua, herald

Reports submitted via email:

Brekke Franksdottir, seneschal Lions End
Sofya Gianetta di Trieste, MoAS
Rufina Cambrensis, chronicler

8:04am — meeting called to order

Bish, seneschal: office is coming up for election at the beginning of the year. We will need a new seneschal. Bring the information to your canton commons. Candidates should have letter of intent in by October Commons. Vote in person or via written proxy at the November Commons. Office starts in January. Other positions expire this year. Some discussion over when Angelica’s term as exchequer expires — this year or next year?

OFFICER REPORTS

Erich, MoL: we had lists. Role of MoL is to help any fighters or fencers who need help running lists, to assist the marshallate of the respective field. Has paperwork in case they forget theirs. No reports received or sent. Exception would be at an extremely large tournament — if event does not have an MoL, he will supply it, but you have to reach out to him in advance.

Beatrice, chatelaine: 4 newcomers interacted w/ the chatelaine at Barleycorn. Luigi also brought 4 newcomers. No complaints. Everyone had fun. Gold Key was borrowed & returned in good condition.

Angelica, exchequer: we have money. Note to cantons: there will be a review of books (canton & provincial) coming up shortly, by EK.

Alienor, seneschal Whyt Whey: had to submit a 2nd insurance certificate specifically for the parks dept. w/ special wording. Was subject to corporate late fee, grrr. Beatrice will speak to royals tomorrow about their needs for the demo & ask for a contact name. Mongu says they may have a 12×18 travel pavilion. Festival organizer wants to put an archery range near us??!? Have expressed consternation. Still collecting parking pass info; thank you to everyone who is opting for public transit instead. Please let Alienor know if you need stuff picked up before the event.

Oct. 28th Whyt Whey Schola is on. Hosting it ourselves due to site search failure (selected site tried to charge us 30% more than their advertised rate). Is on EK event calendar. Brief discussion about insurance requirements, since we are too late to be in the Pikestaff, this cannot be an official event. However, we are not handing out awards and do not need an insurance certificate. Alec suggests we call it Schola in the Solar! Acclaimed.

Banners (new Whyt Whey device plus 2 personal arms) printed by spoonflower.com on polyester chiffon. $40 for 2 yards. Device passed 2 weeks before Pennsic and we were able to fly the banner at Pennsic. See Mathghamhain if you need assistance generating artwork to be printed via spoonflower.

We have the sheetwall from the EK royal encampment with the old device. Will display at EK 50th, then pass to the historian for archival. Will be making new sheetwall to present to royals at next Pennsic.

Mathghamhain, youth combat: fighting at Barleycorn included 6 fighters, one of whom was new (from Aethelmarc). Marshalled at River War, received donations of loaner equipment there. Identified some items to purchase to round out the gear to have 6 full sets. Rounding up kids for Queens Farm & Cloisters. Will be bringing the pell. Goal is to run some practices this fall. Coordinating with kids who want to do it & their parents to see if we can do Wednesdays near fencing / dancing or Saturday afternoons in Central Park.

Meeting interrupted by call from Viceroy. Bish told him we are more than halfway through officer reports. He is too far away to join us. Traffic is working against them.

Viceregal report (phone): Barleycorn was fun; thanks for showing up.

Alec, fencing: there was fencing at Barleycorn. Brendan Firebow (of Staten Island) is new champion. Allocated marshals-in-charge to 3 events (Yehuda at Barleycorn, Marion at Queens Farm, Alec at Cloisters). Beatrice reports 2 of the new fencers’ armors have been made. There are 2 more in the queue. Practice in Central park the last couple of weeks is going well. Have decided to try a new area further down the path — has better lighting.

Wishlist of loaner gear for the fencers: a couple of loaner masks for new people, a couple of gorgets, 2-3 pairs of gloves, a loaner sword. Total expenditure would be about ~$600-650 ($100 masks, $110 gorget, $60 gloves, $175 for the sword). Will suggests making our own gorgets; already have 3 loaner gorgets. Marion has a loaner mask passed to her by Bish at a Commons earlier this year. Will need loaner gloves in several sizes. Jackie asked about fundraising efforts — split the bill w/ Østgarðr. Thomas suggested putting out a donations bucket at Queens Farm. Consensus was that it would be better to do so at an event rather than a demo. Prefer to avoid taking money from non-SCAdians. Alec suggests bidding on a fencer at a tournament to raise money. Winners get a small prize, both fencer & bidder. $$ goes to fund.

Indoor site for fencing practice needed! Site search has turned up places that will accept anything but fencing.

Richard, historian: Brendan Firebow won provincial fencing champion. Ervald ran thrown weapons challenge tourney, however there was no winner because he didn’t know what the requirements were for being a champion. Discussion of whether there should be a minimum score. Mongu presents strong argument against it, to forestall situation where champion maintains position for 8 years. Richard suggests leaving to discretion of viceregents, as it is their champion. Final javelin throw at Barleycorn was an amazing finish to the contest. Archery champion Conor Ó Ceallaigh, who also became a member of the order of the sea lion.

Bish asked if Richard had been asked for material for EK 50th. Richard says yes, he will be submitting artifacts. Encourages others to do likewise.

Thomas, seneschal Northpass: Barleycorn went well. No negative vibes. Money still being worked out; think they broke even. Very labor-intensive. Thomas is at the end of his seneschal term (2 years). He will not be seeking a second term.

Mongu, herald: tournaments at Barleycorn. Conor Ó Ceallaigh became a companion of the order of the sea lion. Mathghamhain asks if there were order of precedence change lists from the order meetings. Lada took the notes; will check with her. Past reports have been that having the web order of precedence updated has not happened. Mathghamhain successfully put in 2 change requests that were handled within 24 hours. Will move forward with doing more. Richard as historian has info on what happened when, and can supply dates. Mathghamhain will email Richard & then put through the updates as needed.

Mongu, archery (unofficial): archery is happening. Long Island practice is sporadic. Staten Island is similarly sporadic, being held between events and on an RSVP basis. Will be having practice this Sunday (day after tomorrow). Next week is Queens Farm & then Cloisters, then 3Gs, then Goats Tavern (may or may not hold practice that Sunday). Check the Facebook page to see if practice is being held, and text or call if you are attending.

Brekke, seneschal Lions End (email): nothing to report.

Sofya, MoAS (email): A&S Report-September

• Favors for 50th: 1st set of Ostgardr 50 year favors have been completed! On Sunday, August 27th TeamOstgardr came together and finished close to 100 favors that were distributed at Barleycorn. Thank you Alienor, Beatrice, Angelica and Anneke for taking the time out and energy to make this happen. Production on another 100 favors will begin in October for distribution prior to the East Kingdom 50 Year celebration.

• Favors for the Princess: ​Princess Matilde’s favor design is available and ready to be made. Below is the pdf link you can ​download: ​http://im.eastkingdom.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/MatildeFavor.pdf ​Keep in mind you do not need to embroider them! You can paint them, stamp them or bead ​them. Get creative!

• EastKingdom50: Please send me your photos for the EastKingdom50 year celebration June 28th thru July 1st, 2018. Please let me know if there is something you would like to share and send to ostgardr50 at ostgardr.eastkingdom.org. Thank you to all who have submitted so far.

Rufina, chronicler (email): E-Horse is out. We held it until after Barleycorn so that we could include any Provincial awards given in Viceregal Court. We will not be at An Dubh investiture [family visit; see above], so if someone could report back to me about awards given at Court, I’d be grateful 🙂

EVENTS

Barleycorn: see above.

Queens Farm: Saturday & Sunday of next week. Ian is autocrat. Mongu asks if there will be thrown weapons at Queens Farm. Unsure if there is an archery marshal in charge. Marion is fencing MiC, Erich is running one or more tournaments.

Cloisters: see above.

Goats Tavern: Thomas reports that more classes are being created. There will be no live goats at the event. Information on the calendar event listing is minimal. Is a family-friendly schola with lots of socializing. Thomas will nudge the autocrat to update the description. Encourages Alec (who was curious about the event) to also call the autocrat and ask for more information. There will be youth combat.

Bears Tavern: needs an autocrat.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS

Thomas urges us to pitch in more with general site cleanup, post-event, to support the autocrat & seneschal.

UPCOMING MEETINGS

October: Mongu Chinua
November: Alienor Salton (unless someone from Queens or Brooklyn wants to volunteer to spread things around geographically)
December: no meeting

MOTION TO ADJOURN

Richard, seconded by many.

Meeting closed at 9:19.

Posted in Commons | Leave a comment

Ostgardr Commons note

Attention all Ostardians planning on coming to Common, Cortelyou Ave is closed. If you are driving you will have to drive down Beverly Ave and park a block away and walk over to Commons tonight.

Posted in Commons, Regularly Scheduled, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Ostgardr Commons (business meeting) 8/19

August Commons will be Friday, August 19, 2016 at the home of Norana Cantrell, 273 Argyle Road, 1st floor in Brooklyn. If anyone gets lost, the phone number is 917-297-2356.

Take the Q train to Cortelyou Road, walk three blocks left, and take a right on Argyle road.
Apartment 1.
There is a cat and small dog in residence.

The meeting will be available on Skype. But if anyone wants to access via Skype, they’ll need to email the Webminister at ArnoraKD [at] gmail [dot] com

Posted in Commons, Regularly Scheduled, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Ostgardr Commons – August 19th

I’m happy to host Ostgardr commons on August 19th.

My address is 273 Argyle Road, 1st floor in Brooklyn. If anyone gets lost, my phone number is 917-297-2356.

Take the Q train to Cortelyou road, walk three blocks left, and take a right on Argyle road.
Apartment 1.
There is a cat and small dog in residence.

I’ll put the meeting on Skype. But if anyone wants to access via Skype, they’ll need to email me at ArnoraKD [at] gmail [dot] com at least two days ahead of time to get the info and do a test call.

-Arnora/Norana Cantrell

Posted in Commons, Regularly Scheduled, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Fencing/Fighting practice – Monday 7/18

Greetings All,
There will be fencing practice at McCarren Park in Brooklyn this coming Monday night, along side the heavy weapons practice.
It starts at 7pm and is by the baseball field with lights. We meet by a tree in right field foul ball territory.
See you then.

Posted in fighting, Regularly Scheduled, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Pennsic 101 Class

Oyez, Oyez

Spring has arrived, and the Drums of War begin to Beat. You want to go to Pennsic! Everyone you talk to makes it sound like so much fun…

…but you’ve never done anything like this, so… now what do you do?

Pennsic 101 will be at Hawkes Reache A&S Night this Friday May 27th, 7PM

Pennsic is a most wonderful SCA event and attending this class will help you to both prepare and have the best time possible… We will discuss how to prepare for Pennsic, what you will need to do and bring. We will answer questions you may have on how to manage to get your things to Pennsic and what you can expect when you finally get there and get set up. If you have garb you’ve already made and are not sure it’s Pennsic-ready, bring it. We can help you decide.

If you’re thinking about Pennsic but haven’t quite decided – come on out!
If you haven’t been to Pennsic in several years, or feel like you’re missing out on something because all you do there is (fill in the blank) feel free to join us!

If you took the class at 1066, and still have questions, or just want to hear some of it again, feel free to join us – since this is a question-driven class, it’s a bit different each time.

Please see the Hawkes Reache calendar for location and other info: http://hawkesreache.eastkingdom.org/wordpress/event/monthly-business-meeting-and-as-night-2-2/?instance_id=235

I look forward to seeing you there!

PLEASE NOTE – if you can not make it to the class, I will try to accommodate requests to hold it again. Please email or IM directly.

YIS
Lady Jenna Childslayer,

Posted in A&S Night, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Archery practice 5/22

OK, the sky is grey, but according to the weather Chanel the rain is going to stay away. But I been bitten by this before and the radar shows rain over Philly.
I am postponing practice until 1pm today to make sure, please check back at 12pm to make sure practice will not be canceled.

Thanks

Posted in Archery, Regularly Scheduled, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

New Dorp Comic Con Demo – Saturday, May 21st

New Dorp comic con demo!

When: Saturday, May 21st
Time: 10am- 11:30am set up 12pm-5pm comic con
Where: New Dorp High School of Staten Island
465 New Dorp Ln, Staten Island, NY 10306

Details:
We have a unique opportunity to recruit at a high school organized comic con, attended by students and their families.

http://www.newdorphs.org/apps/news/article/553600

We are given outdoor area 50×150 do display including fighting and fencing. We want to showcase what the SCA is all about!
Please bring your craft your projects to display.
I am looking for marshals and a couple of heavy fighters, fencers.

Please let me know if you can make it and what you are bringing. I need to get a list of our participants to the organizers by Wednesday evening.

Please RSVP via email or call me.

Hope to see you guys there.

In service,

Lada

Posted in Event, fighting, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Dance Practice Tues, May 17 6:30 PM Central Park

It seems that spring is finally here. If the weather holds, which it looks like it will, the next dance practice will be on Tues., May 17 from 6:30-9:00 PM at Belvedere Castle in Central Park.

Everyone is welcome to join us for practice; no prior dance experience required… Practices are held in street clothes, as many are traveling after work.

We’ll meet in the grassy area of Shakespeare’s garden if it is open. If you follow the “From the West Side” http://northpass.eastkingdom.org/DancePractice_CentralPark.html the grassy area is the “little clearing” before you reach the castle steps. We are typically near the bench on the left side. Once it gets dark OR if the grass isn’t open we move atop the castle. If you cannot find us, please phone (sometimes there is traffic, sometimes we are on the castle if the grass is soggy, etc.). If you will be arriving after 7:30 phoning is also advised (however, if we are mid-dance we may miss your call, please leave a message).

To find us atop the castle… If you are coming from the west side, once you climb the steps you can find us congregated by the wall slightly to the left of the little covered alcove in front of you. From the east side once you go up the steps at the back of the castle we’ll be to the left near the wall before the little covered alcove.

If it’s raining we meet under the overhang up top. If severe weather is in the forecast please check your email or call us on dance practice days; we’ll make a decision by 2 PM if we’re going to cancel practice.

Upcoming practices:
Tuesdays weather permitting

For more info or questions, please email or phone.
dance
Dancing, Dancing, Dancing,
Conandil
http://northpass.eastkingdom.org/DancePractice.html

Posted in Dance, Regularly Scheduled, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

WhytWhey’s A&S night, “An Evening in the Solar”

On Thursday, May 19th, at 7pm, Lady Godiva will be teaching a class on Florentine Flame stitch. We will make small pincushions. Please join us!

More details (such as address & directions) available here: http://whytwhey.eastkingdom.org/2016/04/25/an-evening-in-the-solar-may-2016/

Posted in A&S Night, Regularly Scheduled, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

SI Archery Practice Canceled for tomorrow

Due to predicted bad weather and the 5 boro bike tour, there will be no practice tomorrow
> >
> > Hope to see you out there next week.
> >
> > THL Mungu Chinua, O’Sag

Posted in Archery, Regularly Scheduled, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Ostgardr mailing list is migrating

We are moving the Ostgardr mailing list.

If you were already on the old mailing list called "OST", you should get a "Welcome to OstgardrNYC email list" shortly (in the next 24 hours). If you have not received any, check your Spam or Clutter folder. If you still don’t see it, you can send an email to Webminister, or just follow the subscribe steps below.

Otherwise, to be added to the new mailing list, go to this web address (https://ostgardr.eastkingdom.org:10000/virtualmin-mailman/unauthenticated/listinfo.cgi/ostgardrnyc) and enter your information (name, email, password) under the Subscribing to OstgardrNYC section.

Posted in Publication, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Evening in the Solar, May 2016

Whyt Whey’s next A&S gathering will be May 19th, 2016. More details are available here:
http://whytwhey.eastkingdom.org/2016/04/25/an-evening-in-the-solar-may-2016/

Posted in A&S Night, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Fighter practice 4/25

Reminder: fighter practice at McCarren Park in Brooklyn, Monday at 7:30 PM.

Posted in fighting, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Archery Practice 4/22/16

> Greetings,
>
> We will be holding our weekly practice tomorrow at Willowbrook Park, 4 Eton Pl, Staten Island, starting at 12pm.
>
> The practice usually goes until 4 or 5pm, but may end earlier or later depending on attendance and how tired we get.
>
> Loaner gear is available. Newcomers welcome.
>
> Dinner at the dinner afterwards for those wishing to come.
>
> YIS,
>
> THLord Mungu Chinua, O’Sag

Posted in Archery, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Ostgardr Commons Minutes for April

Start Time: 8:15pm

SENESCHAL REQUEST
The Seneschal requests that all CANTON SENESCHALS please email him a list of Officers of your Cantons. Also, all CROWN PROVINCIAL OFFICERS, please email a full listing of all Deputies. Include their:
-Mundane Name
-SCA name (including title)
-Membership number
-Expiration date
-Email address
-Let’s make sure ALL officers are members!
-As an FYI, Seneschals can get a census of all EK members with their membership numbers and expiration date by contacting Milpitas, but it costs $5.

OFFICER’S REPORTS


Minister of Fencing, Marion of York (sent via email)
Other than Cake and Death fighter practice, I haven’t done much to report. Ettore has found space in a church  

Arts and Sciences, Lada Monguligin (sent via email):
-Call went out from TRM for beads for newcomers. So we will have a BEAD MAKING CLASS at Piglet’s on Saturday June 18th taught by Lord Conor  O Ceallaigh. Materials fee is $20 and can be paid at the door. Please RSVP to Lada to hold your space.
-Pennsic U deadline is May 1st- Consider teaching a class and sharing your knowledge. Additionally this year is Bog U which is exactly what it sounds like.
-SCRIBAL SHOPPING on April 30th: We will meet at the Astor Place Starbucks at 9am depart from there at 9:30am and head to two art stores nearby: Dick Blick and New York Central Art Supply. Then we will make the trip Uptown to Lee’s Art Shop on W57th.

 

Chronicler (via email)
-There is one deputy, John Elys, who is Webminister. It was noted by those attending that he has expressed interest in stepping down as webminister.

-MUSICIANS DAY – Blue Mountain Lodge was unavailable for traditional weekend (Nov 19-20), so we’re pencilled in for November 12-13. It does NOT conflict with Hundred Minutes’ War’ WarMusicians Day. Projected budget available
-Thomas of Northpass has been in touch with them. We are only pencilled in so we need to give them a check moderately soon or tell them we are cancelling. Cost is $600 for 2 days plus $200 deposit.

-It was noted by Francesco that not many people have administrative access to ostgard@panix so it would be better to move the list to an East Kingdom server.

Northpass, Thomas of Northpass
– Much of last meeting was spent on Barleycorn, but many details have changed since then (including the fact that it will 95% chance be investiture). Wilhelm is autocrat. Co-autocrat is Phil. Feastocrat is Sheldon Wax. Sephardic cooking was the original idea, but since it’s now investiture, a Mongolian feast would be fitting.

-The cost is $3000 for entire weekend, $1800 for feast. It has all been paid for. Northpass had ~$6k in their coffers (including the money given to pay for Barleycorn).

-Also GOAT’S TAVERN is coming up in the fall at Blue Mountain Lodge.

 

-Next month’s meeting is going to be at the beach instead of at Wilhelm’s so if you come up early you’re welcome to use Tom’s canoes and such.

Chatelaine of Northpass
Northpass has a new Chatelaine, Phil! He is trying to get some friends at Westchester Community College to see if they can get a club going. Needs to have 2 students to start club. He already has someone who can be staff sponsor.

Chatelaine, Sofya of Ostgardr
-Congrats to our new Chatelaine of Northpass, Phil!
-Next week, Sunday the 24th, is a GOLD KEY WORKSHOP. We have a lot of people coming to help make new loaner garb and even have a newcomer coming! Everyone is welcome to join in! Contact Sofya for details.
-Sofya is typing up an inventory of the current Gold Key and it will be in Exchequer’s hands by next meeting
-She will also be making queens favors if anyone wants to join in on that.


History, Richard the Poor:
-Viceregal polling is approved!

-We will be having an investiture in the not to distant future, and majesties will be required to be there. They will also be able to give out awards, so think about who you might want to NOMINATE AWARDS for, and check out next issue of E Horse to see the article about how to do that effectively.

 

-Piglet mentions about a museum? Or library? That’s interested in SCA archival materials. She will look it up and let people know the info.
EDITED TO ADD: Piglet found the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/17551346704/permalink/10153575174811705/
“the University of California Riverside Libraries has created a permanent SCA archival collection…If you have publications or media you would like to contribute, please contact the SCA Liaison to the UCR Libraries, Countess Leonora Morgana (Stacie Tibbetts) at collections@sca.org or at 714-544-8490 before 8 pm PST. (The University Libraries are unable to accept direct donations on behalf of the Society, and sending them materials directly could result in their loss.)”

Exchequer, Angelica di Nova Lipa
– We have about $7600 in checkings and $7400 in savings, so we have money.
-We have not gotten rid of funds from the (now-defunct?) Gilded Pearl (an East Kingdom guild that was focused on the Renaissance time period. It was started here and needed somewhere to put their money) yet, which is about $128. We will figure out what is the appropriate thing to do with the money

 

Whyt Whey, Alienor Salton
– Thorfinnr reports that Picnic in Ruins had to be rescheduled due to site permit issue. We were sent the permit, but the Parks Service double-booked the park and rescinded our permit.
-There will be QUEEN’S FAVOR KITS available at the next Solar. The class will be VIKING WIRE WEAVING taught by Thorfinnr. We may also be taste testing the Anglo-Norman dishes for a feast. (Was going to be for investiture, but that is going to be Barleycorn which already has a feastocrat)
-We will also be discussing the new Whyt Whey heraldry at the NEXT Solar. Two options are currently being conflict checked.


Captain of Archers, Suuder Saran:
We are starting ARCHERY this weekend at Staten Island.
– Haven’t heard from the Lions End marshall, so not sure when they will start up. She MAY step up to be Captain of Archers after investiture.

Brokenbridge, Suuder Saran
Baconbridge was well attended.
-Brokenbridge is NOT changing heraldry. That was a miscommunication.
-Ragnar Blitzkeg is going to step up as drop-dead Seneschal after investiture



Lion’s End, Francesco G Greco
– We have about $2600. Our last meeting had 3 people so couldn’t have quorum. Needed 6 officers and only had 5, so meeting was unofficial (?).
– Heraldry tabard was passed to Moungou (Gary), and Maria is freshening the tabard up now.


RECENTLY PASSED EVENTS

No recently passed events

UPCOMING EVENTS

Viking Day: May 14
-In Owl’s Head Park, put on the Scandinavian Museum.
-No more conflictcontradiction with Picnic in the Park.
-Brad will get in contact with site for details about when we need to arrive, leave, etc.
-Maria asked if we could put it on the EK Calendar.
-As long as posted in E Horse then we are covered for insurance. (EK calendar isn’t necessary for insurance), but we CAN post demo, so let’s do that.

Note by Thomas
– What is Ostgardr going to do with June 2-3 reservation at Veteran Memorial Park in Putnam Valley (was made as a possible investiture date) that Tom paid for out of pocket ($150)? Should he get money back or get future date? Tom has got a list of all future available dates and given it to Brad. But we can’t wait to decide.
-The site misses us doing demo and likes us
-We can get a much better deal, it’s only $150. Could hold 300-400 people piece of cake, but doesn’t have functioning kitchen. We can even have horses if let them know in time.
–Vote was made. Decided to get the money back, since it is relatively easy to re-reserve it when we decide when we need it.

 

Riverdale: Sunday, June 5 (NOT JUNE 4!!!)
-Laurie will autocrat it.
-We need(?) $600 for it.
-We will need to figure out how to do the tent once Mitch(?) leaves for Europe. It’s more a matter of transport and storage than how to get it up. Piglet has access to a van. Luigi can volunteer to keep stuff in his garage.

-We thought it was on the EK calendar, but it isn’t. We’ll need to fix that.

 

Queen’s Farm: Sept 25
– Ian is autocrat. Camping, fighting, and everything else.

Cloisters: Sept 18 (not yet official date)
– Because the museum puts out a yearly calendar that starts in the early summer, the Cloisters date is not officially official. But Piglet has asked her contact if we can verify the date as firm and will put it on EK Calendar when she hears. It should be Sept 18 which is 2 weeksish earlier than normal.

Investiture: Barleycorn
Their Majesties have contacted us, and said polling was valid. Congrats Lada and Suuder!
-Suuder: We have been in contact with TRM and Gui has been instrumental in talking with them. We are looking at Barleycorn for investiture. About a week ago TRM sent us a message saying that  Barony of Smoking Rock put in the same date as  Barleycorn for THEIR investiture, but since their polling is still in process, TRM has asked Smoking Rock to use a different date. Smoking Rock has tentatively agreed.  So we are 95% sure that it will be Barleycorn. Brad will let you know ASAP when it can be made official.
-Maria mentioned that it would be a nice gesture to thank Smoking Rock. Suuder says he and Lada plan on visiting them in Pennsic to thank them and possibly giving a gift. (Maybe also go to their investiture?)
See also: EternalCon demo and New Dorp HS Con demo mentioned in New Business


NEW BUSINESS

Bylaw Committee, Francesco G Greco
-The new Bylaw Committee is a committee to go through our laws and bylaws and find loopholes and other things that need to be fixed. Richard the PoorRufina, John, Beatrice, and Valgard have volunteered for this at the last Commons. We can still take volunteers if anyone wants to join.

Youth Participation, Thomas of Northpass
– His daughter (17 yo) doesn’t want to go to Pennsic, because it’s not fun for teens. She’s going to write a thesis paper about why. Thomas wants to create a committee to find out why kids don’t want to go. Is the SCA a fighter’s group or a family group?
-Tom wants to have two meetings at Pennsic one with 11 and under (with parents) and one with 12 and over (without parents). But he may need more Minor Chancellors? Would like to get Sir Edward (pennsic mayor) and some Royals to come.
-What sort of changes can we institute?
-Piglet mentioned the East Kingdom Forum of Teen Activities that has been having roundtables with teens and kids and started on doing some similar activites.
-Jackie recommended getting input from families who HAVE successfully had teenagers grow in the SCA and stay active

Old Known World Handbook
-If you have the old (1994?) version of Knowne World Handbooke, (the one with the blurb about Fun Mavens and Authenticity Mavens) contact Tom:


Eternal Con Demo: June 10-12, Zorikh
– There is a really good demo opportunity at a SFF con, EternalCon, June 10-12 in Garden City, NY at the Cradle of Aviation Museum. eternalcon.com
-The date is in conflict with Southern Region War Camp, but not everyone goes.
– ACL and several LARP groups had successful demos in parking lot. ACL might not be able to make it, but the con runners are interested in having similar. We can have a table or lots (workshop, lecture, panel discussion, fight demo. The more we do the more discounts or free passes they can give us.
– We Voted YES to do it
-We discussed whether we wanted to do one or two days. We thought two days would be a lot, but Maria is going to ask An Dubh if they wanted to do the other day since the con is near the border. For now, we will plan for Saturday only.
-Zorikh asks people to think about any workshops or lectures or other programming that they would like to give/hold.


New Dorp Fine Arts High School Comic con Demo: May 21
-Gui has brought to our attention a comic con being put on by the students at a high school in Staten Island
-It is very easy to access via public transport and car and there is parking.
-They will have an arena for LARPers, etc.
-Is anyone interested in taking the lead on this? Let us know!

 

UPCOMING MEETINGS

 

May: Baron Francesco (Lion’s End)
June: Lada and Suuder’s new home (Brokenbridge)
July: Nonexistent for Pennsic
August: Piglet (Whyt Whey)

Motion to adjourn: 10:33

Posted in Commons | Leave a comment

Archery practice starts 4/17

Archery practice is starting up again this Sunday, 4/17. SCA members and experienced shooters come at 12, nonmembers at 2. Practice will be held every Sunday, weather permitting and as long as the Marshals aren’t going to an SCA event, until it gets too cold.

This is held at the public archery range at Willowbrook Park in Staten Island, NY. there will be loaner gear available.

Posted in Archery, Regularly Scheduled | Leave a comment

Fighter practice starts

Beginning this Monday, we will be holding weekly fighter practices at McCaren Park, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, at 7:30 PM, near the main baseball diamond, under the tree in right field.

On May 22 from 4 PM till 6 PM we will hold a practice and small tournament for both rattan and rapier fighters at Sword Class NYC, 1944 Madison Avenue, Manhattan (corner Madison and 125).

Posted in fighting, Regularly Scheduled | Leave a comment